Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• darkstar4darkstar4 Posts: 1
    Hello :),

I like to hear from anyone who has had similar problems with their Durango, as I will tell my story below.

I drive a Durango SUV 2000 model, it is 4WD, and currently has 7260 miles. I live in a rural area, with some gravel roads, almost all of my current driving has been on rural paved roads, with the usual pot holes, and other misc road hazards.

I had the vehicle serviced, and learned that it needed to have the brakes replaced, steering box replaced, transfer case resealed, front tires replaced, and the rear parking park was stretched.

They claim that the vehice has been driven past its performace standards.

The roadway is paved, steep hills (used low gear), I sometimes drive 70 - 95 miles per hour on the freeway. The rural roadway is 55 mph, but 35 - 40 is the norm for driving.

I am looking for information, is this standard, am I pushing this vehicle past its performace limits, or is this the norm for this vehicle.

Thanks for your help
  • panzer948panzer948 Posts: 7
    I have heard of no such problems and I too have a 2000 model with ~ 7,000 miles. And I think we both now you are not pushing the vehicle past its limits. Although I don't live in a rural area, the city is full of potholes and I am VERY heavy on the pedal (one reason why I bought the D was its acceleration). I've had no mechanical problems what so ever.

I don't mean to question you, but your description of your vehicle seems suspect. Are you sure you own a Durango?
  • msjrmsjr Posts: 13
    I went to check out a Durango this week and when I informed the salesman that I didn't real need the car until September, but I could pay my current lease off now if I wanted, he told me to wait, because DC is offering a leasing incentive in August. He claimed he wasn't supposed to tell me, but decided to share anyway.

So for any of you who are considering leasing, you may want to wait a couple of weeks if you can. You might be able to save some money!
  • homer61388homer61388 Posts: 54
    My best friend is currently looking at a dodge durango SLT. He likes the room, engine choices, and the ride, but he is still wondering about the rear brakes. THEIR DRUMS! Are they going to last, are they safe to travel on? And the reliability, this is his first time with a chrysler product. Please give me information on these questions.

Homer61388
  • mgutowskimgutowski Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard when the 2001 model is going to start building and where I can find pricing info on it?
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    The use of rear drum brakes has been discussed before, and basically it is a way for Dodge to keep the costs down without sacrificing very much. My suggestion would be that if you really like the Durango in every other aspect, but are hung-up on rear drums, then get an after-market drum-to-disc conversion kit, and you'll have the total package.

The drums that come with the Durango are more than sufficient for rear stopping power. They last quite well, and the pads are less expensive to replace than the front discs.

Dodge is supposedly converting the Ram to rear disc, so I imagine the Durango is not far behind. However, it still may be a few years.
  • bikerusbikerus Posts: 1
    chose the 4 whell drive abs and you will get 4 whell disk brake option i think
  • tom_tom_ Posts: 25
    The 2001 Durango is scheduled to start in Newark, DE on July 31
  • robert1972robert1972 Posts: 51
    I also own a D mine is a 98, this morning I took it to the dealer for the 6th time in only 15K for problems, my transfer case is leaking and the steering colum makes a poping noise when you turn from left to right. Everything that can leak has leaked, its never been off road and we bought it new. I have sent a letter to Chrysler, but have not had a response. I have been talking to different people wit Durangos in my area, gas stations, restaurant etc.. If I see a D and someone next to it I ask what kind of luck they have had with it. It seems that 1/2 the people I talk to have had problems, I don't think that is a very good percentage, which means when you buy one you only have a 50/50 chance its a good one.
    Look at the bright side - at least you didn't spend 10-20K more on a BMW or ML just to find that you'd have to visit the dealer just as much. ;)
  • cseacsea Posts: 1
    I have a new 2000 Durango. Just had it a month and half. It's been in the shop 4 times because occasionally upon startup, the gauges don't engage. The car will start and run, the the gauges don't work. Dealer service dept. seems stumped. Any suggestions or thoughts?
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    Had the same problem with my Caravan. I assume you checked the fuses? My dealer had to replace a computer module to fix the gauges.

Good Luck
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Hey all, just visiting from the Isuzu camp. I just got rid of my '97 Rodeo that went 120,000 miles w/o seeing the dealer 1x. Moved into a 2000 Trooper LS. I was considering a Durango except that it had less room than the Trooper and was too curvy in the back to put boxes in. Also was a little afraid of moving away from the Isuzu quality and fit/finish I had on my Rodeo. I'll just keep an eye on this board for a while, hope you guys with problems get em worked out by DC.

-mike
    Sounds like you want to fire up the Trooper vs. Durango topic again, huh?

Ok, you might have us on fit and finish, but the clunk, bad a/c, dealer woes, lousy mileage at break-in, rattles, etc. are not extinct from the Trooper forums either. You know what they say about those in glass houses...

It's actually amazing that anyone posts anything bad on the Trooper forums with the fascists that own them. ;)

Anyway, when I was purchasing, here's the advantages I found that the Durango has over the Trooper:

- More low-end torque
    - Power band more usable (I don't want my engine screaming at 5400rpms to get max)
    - Towing
    - Payload
    - Ride
    - Handling
    - More custom options
    - Better for the shade-tree mechanic
    - Styling

The advantages of the Trooper:

- Better off-road
    - More gadgets (Limited)
    - Larger cargo space (2 cu. ft.)

The Trooper is a fine truck - I hope you have great luck with your new one.
    I've had good luck with towing, (towed a 5200lbs. car trailer with my rodeo) so I'm sure my troopr will handle that. I used to own the pre-cursor to the durango. '83 Dodge Ram Charger 2x4. Best car I've ever owned. 250,000 miles and we had to retire it only because the doors fell off and th interior went to crap. Had a 318 chrysler in it. Towed a ton of crap, and never got stuck in the snow or off road. I was hoping they would re-vive it with the new dodge ram, but no such luck except in mexico.

I do wish we had a 3rd row of seats (they do outside the US) I'll probably buy some aftermarket ones, and the durango does have the V8 power.

-mike
    that the D has a TSB on the steering col. and also on the FT. transfer case. I picked mine up yesterday and thats what they told me, Chrysler is aware of it but doesn't do anything about it until the customer complains about it (not surprising)I didn't ask though if it is limited to only the '98 or the newer ones also.

Has anyone sent a letter to Chrysler about their problems and gotten any sort of response back? If so, who, what address and what did they do? Also about how long did it take them to respond, if they did at all. ANY info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Robert
    Technical Service Bulletins for all vehicles are located here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

as well as other locations on the net.
    Tried using your info on the TSB for the D but nothing came up? Don't really care because they fixed it, but for the people that want to get the info for them selves, it doesn't seem to be very accurate.
    R....
    you use Dodge Truck as the Make, and not just Dodge. There is another site www.alldata.com that also lists TSB information.

Remember that TSBs do not affect every vehicle, even in the same year. They are general information for fixes that have occured, but do not reflect the number of vehicles with the problem. Dealers use them as guidance, but do not just perform them because you have your car in for service, or to fix something else.

Unfortunately, you have to sometimes remind them of the TSB. This happens at ALL dealers, not just Dodge.
  • 2k_cpr_d2k_cpr_d Posts: 7
    ...may be coming soon. I saw the article about the RAM SUV in Mexico, but I recently saw a press release about a Canadian DC plant being retooled to build SUVs based on the RAM. I saw it on the Durangoclub.com forum http://www.durangoclub.com/ but when I went looking again, it was gone. You may get your chance again. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my 2000 SLT Plus Durango (4.7V8). No problems at 3,500 miles. I'll let everyone know if any crop up.

Rob b.
    Thanks for the info. They should have a Dodge Ram SUV by the time my 120k warranty runs out on my trooper (which the rate I drive will be about 3 or 4 years) Good luck and have fun with the Durango.

-mike
    Talking about all these TSBs, is there any place to get the details for these. I can clearly see the titles but there are no details. Everything I can find says you have to buy the details.
    Talking about all these TSBs, is there any place to get the details for these. I can clearly see the titles but there are no details. Everything I can find says you have to buy the details.
  • 2k_cpr_d2k_cpr_d Posts: 7
    ... I finally found it on the Durango Owners Club forum. It's a little long, but for those still holding onto the dream, it's worth it. I don't know the source, accuracy, or validity, so take it with a grain of salt or a 55 Gallon gas tank.

Rob b.

==========================================
    New full size SUV from Dodge.........
    ==========================================

Tuesday June 13, 5:14 pm Eastern Time
    DaimlerChrysler to build new SUV in Windsor, source
    By Ian Karleff

TORONTO, June 13 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler AG
    is poised to announce a major makeover for its Pillette
    Road van plant in Windsor, Ontario, on Thursday that
    will include an investment of C$1.5 billion ($1 billion) to
    begin the assembly of a new sport-utility vehicle,
    according to an industry source.

DaimlerChrysler (NYSE:DCX - news) released a
    statement on Tuesday that it would make a ``major
    announcement'' at the Pillette Road plant with
    government, union and corporate officials attending.

``They're announcing a major investment at the facility
    that they are going to stop producing full-sized vans
    over the next couple of years and produce a full-sized
    sport-utility by 2003-2004,'' said the source who
    follows the Big Three automakers closely.

``They're looking at about a $1.5 billion Canadian
    investment,'' added the source.

Currently, the Pillette Road plant's 2,400 workers
    assemble the line of full-sized Dodge Ram vans,
    churning out about 80,000 to 90,000 vehicles annually.

Six months following the phase-out of the van line,
    DaimlerChrysler will start producing a Dodge branded,
    full-sized, sport-utility vehicle (SUV), the first in its class
    for the auto manufacturer, said the source.

A full-sized Dodge SUV would compete with Ford
    Motor Co.'s (NYSE:F - news) Excursion and General
    Motors Corp.'s (NYSE:GM - news) Chevrolet
    Suburban, a segment that generates huge profits for the
    industry.

The future of the Pillette Road plant has been in
    jeopardy for some time as full-sized vans lost their
    appeal with consumers and workers suffered as much
    as 15 weeks of downtime each year.

The Canadian Auto Workers union made the Pillette
    Road plant a top priority in contract bargaining last fall,
    and managed to win a commitment from the automaker
    for a $600 million paint shop at the location.

``We have been pushing them to put the shovel in the
    ground for the new paint shop and to tell us what
    product line they are going to put in there,'' said Buzz
    Hargrove, president of the CAW union.

Hargrove said DaimlerChrysler will tell the union the
    details of the announcement at 7 a.m. Thursday
    morning.

``I assume it's the ground-breaking ceremony on the
    new paint shop and, coupled with that, an
    announcement of the new product line,'' added
    Hargrove.

A DaimlerChrysler spokeswoman declined to give
    details on Thursday's announcement, but said that Herb
    Gray, Canada's Deputy Prime Minister, Windsor
    Mayor Mike Herst and DaimlerChrysler Canada
    chairman Ed Brust are scheduled to attend.
    That's great news, if they do it... Only time will tell.

-mike

Hold the Ramcharger Dream!
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    My wife's 93 Shadow has the same problem. It was because of a bad ground on the dash module. Unfortuneately, because it is an intermittant problem, it would never do it for the technician while under warranty. You might suggest that they try a secondary ground to see if that will help
  • cade1cade1 Posts: 3
    still the same problem,still know answer!1999 d with 5.9 engine. every once in awhile i get a moaming sound from what seems to be the rite side of the d between the door and the engine the noise seems to happen when i'm just starting from a lite,coasting or just cruising at about 30 to 40 miles an hr.would appreciate any ideas or answers what it could be as the dealer hasn't a clue.
    cademan
  • panzer948panzer948 Posts: 7
    Sorry cade1, I have never heard or know of one with that problem. Maybe you should visit the Dodge Durango Club and post a message there (www.durangoclub.com). It is a great group and very helpful with problems, aftermarket ideas, and offroading trips.
  • Hey ladies and gents!

I just bought a 24' Nash travel trailer to pull behing my 99 D 5.9.The trailer is 26'10" overall, weighs 4800 lbs with GVW of 7,000. We made a trip out to the rockies last weekend, and i experienced a lot (scary) of sway at speeds of 55 to 60 mph. I have ordered a Reese dual cam anti-sway device, (back ordered probably until christmas. In the mean time, i am wondering what the heck i am doing wrong! i have a good hitch, use the load levelers properly, and don't drive like a maniac (my wife may beg to differ). right now, one of those massive Ford SUV's are looking pretty good in the towing department compared to this Durango. If you have any ideas what might be "pushing me around" ..please post!

thanks!

Dan
  • mrboostmrboost Posts: 32
    Dont know much about travel trailers, but I would add the sway bars onto your system.

My father has a 99 D and Tows a 69 1/2 Road Runner on a car trailer with the anti sway bars. It tows very well, no problem. That trailer has to weigh 2000 lbs with a 4000 lb car behind it. For what it is worth, we used to use my brothers 92 DAK sport( short 6ft bed) 4X4 to tow it. No problems there, even with the shorter wheelbase.

I took my 2000 D out to Michigan and a friend took his 99 D and towed his 87 Shelby Charger GLHS with his trailer. Again, no problem since he had the the antisway bars. He towed like a maniac too, doing about 80 MPH at times. He averaged 12.9 MPG towing the GLHS.

Oh, I got 16.8 MPG on the trip to/from Michigan. Not bad, doing about 70-75 MPH. Gotta love these D's. It has 11,000 miles and still no problems at all.

later
This discussion has been closed.