Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• keithjpkeithjp Member Posts: 1
    A buddy of mine with a 00 Dakota RT had a noise similar to yours, sounded like it was coming from the glove box area. Turned out to be the transmission dip stick rattling in its holder. Only happened at certain rpms, speeds.

Also, just had my 99 Durango, 5.9, 4X4 in the shop for 9 days with overheating problems. Gage would go to full hot for a few seconds, then drop very quickly back to normal. Dealer cited a TSB on the cooling fan, but didn't sound like a cooling problem to me, sounded electrical. Anyhow, finally ended up replacing the PCM. Fixed now, best we can tell. By the way, when I got the car back, it was filthy (9 days in the back lot!), and had coolant sprayed all around the engine compartment. I complained to the service guy, got no response, so complained to the manager over the phone. After 7 weeks, got a call from the general manager apologizing, and offering to give me a car wash. No wonder Dodge rates at the bottom of the dealer ratings!

Finally, has anyone put a RT muffler on a standard Durango? My buddy gave me his muffler, he put on a Flowmaster (very loud!). Thoughts?
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
  • teflon1974teflon1974 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 Durango in May of 1999, (5.2L, 4X4). My wife and I loved it! Loved it so much that to date (October 2000), we have about 43,000 miles on it. We had gotten an extended warranty on this vehicle, but at the rate we were going, we figured that the warranty would run out by the end of this year. We decided to buy a new 2001 Durango.

First of all, let me say, I think Dodge has done a good job refining the interior of the vehicle. The construction worker grade of the control panel has been softened with features such as dual climate control as well as a redesigned rear ac unit. As far as we were concerned, this was going to be our new vehicle.

The Sunday before we were to start looking, I was driving from San Antonio to Austin (about 90 miles door to door). A few miles into the return leg of our trip, the brake light came on, followed quickly by the ABS light, and the speedometer and odometer stopped working. The following day while driving the truck to a nearby dealer, the Check Engine light came on. After spending a week in the shop (and paying for a week of car rental), I got the D back. Wife picked it up, so I'm still not sure what the exact problem was. Anyway...

TWO DAYS later I am again returning from San Antonio to Austin. This time we hit stop and go traffic on the highway. Everytime I came to a stop, I heard a loud grinding noise upon takeoff. Flooring the engine barely made the Durango creep. However, putting the vehicle into 1st gear felt and sounded fine. I drove back home shifting like a manual, using the "D" gear selection as third gear. This morning, my wife said that she didn't hear the same grinding noise, but now the check engine light is on again. Back to the shop and another week of renting!

BTW, when I originally put the car in the shop, I spoke to the dealer about trading it in and buying a 2001. He actually had the nerve to tell me that because of the warning lights on the dash, they were a little concerned about the vehicle and were not going to give me the full resale value (despite the fact that there is still approximately 15,000 miles to go on the warranty. If the Dodge dealer is not willing to stand behind his own vehicle, why should I? I am getting it fixed and selling it off this week. The Durango obviously does not hold its resale value and I do not want to be stuck in this same position again 3 years down the road. I will probably be getting a Chevy Tahoe to replace it.

Did I love my Durango? Sure I did.
    Did it serve me faithfully? Yup.
    Will I recommend it to a friend. No way!!
  • somarsomar Member Posts: 1
    This is the 3rd time my 2000 Durango looses control on a 100 degree turn on my way to work, but unfortunately this time I hit a column. I am the most careful driver and I was behind other cars,that like mine had to stop at the trafic light before making the turn. Yes, the road was a little wet, but I had SUV's before and nothing compares with this. The damage was about $2,500 (at about 20 miles per hour) and the airbags did not deploy. Any ideas anyone??
  • thecruzerthecruzer Member Posts: 1
    These topics here sound like the Tahoes, Suberban, Exploer, Excursion, Toyota...etc..sos
  • americanpride1americanpride1 Member Posts: 6
    I've never had an accident with my 98 but I have found my rear end sliding out behind me when turning at a stoplight with wet pavements. It doesn't take much on the gas to cause this either. These happened when lights turned green so I wasn't going very fast either. I've got the 3.92 rear end which I'm sure contributes to this but also increased power of the V8 and possibly the Goodyears are factors. The handling is good on dry pavement but while in turns on wet pavement I have to be extremely careful. It doesn't take much. Other than being careful with the gas while it is wet outside I can't see much else on what to do except except maybe trying different tires out but that seems a bit excessive. Of course, between the cost of new tires and a $2,500 repair bill maybe it isn't.

Kerry
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    At 54,000 my wheel bearings went out on my 98 Durango, luckliy it's covered under my extended warranty. Has anybody else had this problem? I have never had wheel bearings go out on any vehicle. The dealer had to order the parts, so we are waiting to get them replaced. Plus they say they have a new and improved PW motor that they will also be putting in. The windows have been an on going problem since day 1.
  • jb58jb58 Member Posts: 1
    Please visit our forum located at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/dodgedurangoclub

This very popular forum currently has over 120+ members -- internationally -- and we're growing. Members post daily to discuss (and sometimes argue) Durangos and other vehicle issues. We also have an incredible photo album for you to post photos of your D once you join the forum.
  • americanpride1americanpride1 Member Posts: 6
    I just lost my second wheel cap on my Durango since I bought my 98. The wheels are the nicer alloy ones instead of the chrome wheels. They have the rams head logo. I wanted to see how many other people have lost their's. After spending around $15 for each of them I'm starting to get a little upset since it was no fault of my own. I don't run over curbs or do anything that may knock them off. These cheap little plastic pieces (as in quality not price) just give up their grips on the wheel and loosen up. I'm about to write a letter to Chrysler about it and I kind of wanted to see how much of a problem it is before I wrote the letter. It seemed like it may be a problem just from talking to the parts guy at the dealership. He claimed you have to make sure the area is clean otherwise the teeth won't grip the wheel but he dirt there instead. Sounds bogus to me but mine have been clean anyway when I put the caps on. Thanks,

Kerry
  • nc0866nc0866 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2000 Durango 2WD with SLT Plus package, 3rd row seating, Anti-spin differential axle, rear a/c, 2-tone paint, custom running boards, custom wheels, and LCD DVD. The dealer is asking for $34,000.

Is this a good price? Do you think I can find a better deal?

Thanks.
  • HannahBHannahB Member Posts: 3
    About 2 months ago I purchased a 01 Durango SLT + patriot blue with the 4.7 engine . So far with 4500 miles I have'nt experienced any problems with this vehicle. No rattles, squeaks or any engine problems. The 01 has a much better interior setup than the 00. By removing the manual 4x4 off the floor has made room for a great storage and cup holder area.
    One thing that concerns me is that the transmission can be engaged (with vehicle running) without putting your foot on the brake pedal. The service manager stated that it has been addressed to Dodge before and they thought the problem would be corrected on the 01 Durango.
    He states it's a safety switch that has to be put on the transmission when it's built. He noted that on the 01 they did change the gear selector which now makes you roll the arm toward you to engage it and away from you to disengage it.
    How can a company as large as Dodge overlook a safety issue such as this? Are all Dodge vehicles like this? This should be a concern with anyone who has young children or may be towing something... which is what I bought this vehicle for. I guess I'll just have to live with it and be more cautious.
  • HannahBHannahB Member Posts: 3
    34,000 seems to be a considerable amount on a 2000 Durango. For that price it must be a 4x4. I purchased a 01 Durango SLT + 4.7 loaded tow pkg leather etc. (except rear ABS) for $32,700 which is about $400 over invoice. I know I could have gotten the 2000 for invoice plus the $1500 rebate that is still being offered, however I really like the changes in the 2001 .
    Try www.carprices.com for an invoice price with your options. This is the time buy a 00 if you want to get a good deal because the 01's have been out for a few months now..
  • monnethmonneth Member Posts: 2
    I need help! any suggestions?..my 2000 durango is always with the dealer every weekend..the problems?..

* Everytime I drove my car, its seems like on my third stops (doing my errands)or when its a little hot..the engine won't start...I am sick and tired of this..the service department can't figure the problem on my car, 2 weeks ago, they install co-pilot on my durango. They said, to figure the problem..but it doesn't look like they did..drove it for 200 miles the engine lights went on and it won't start again. I feel like talking to attorney regarding lemon car, may be they sold me a lemon car. any suggestions?..attorney maybe?..or any body there have a similar problem?
  • trudstruds Member Posts: 1
    Someone mentioned that they purchased a 3rd Party 150,000 mile warranty for their Durango. Where can I get information on that? I would like to purchase one, but the Dealer price is very high. Any info. would be appreciated.
  • deriskderisk Member Posts: 5
    I noticed a couple of entries concerning the accumulation of a milky, gooey substance in the oil filler tube of the 2000 4.7L engine (ftremont on 2-18-00 and bpeebles on the same date). I am experiencing the same thing at 8500 miles and it seems to be related to the weather changing (colder). There is a TSB posted on the NHTSA website for this condition. Does anyone have information on what the TSB says or the "fix" that is prescribed (if any)?

I would be interested in seeing your postings on this. Thank you.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Milky Oil/Emulsion (derisk) Check out the current discussion in the following forum.

Dodge Dakota Owners - General Topic (Topic #24)
    Message to bpeebles: cannot find the discussion you referenced in your Nov. 13 posting (General Topic #24 in the Dodge Dakota Owners Forum.
    Message to bpeebles: I finally found your posting on the "oily goo" Technical Bulletin, please disregard my previous message. Thank you so much for your excellent info., used it to guide the dealer on ordering parts to do the fix.

Dave Eaton
    deaton@bandag.com
  • ramcharger00ramcharger00 Member Posts: 1
    My family and I puchased a durango SLT+ with the new 4.7 engine in September. We already have over 3000 miles on it. Havent had one problem. The only thing is the day we were bringing it back from the dealership it started vibrating. It made a loud vibrating sound for over one minute. It has'nt done that since. The dealer said it was its special transmission adjusting itself. But overall our durango is fine. It will probably stay in our family for years. But my dad liked his ramcharger better.
  • dnhdnh Member Posts: 2
    I am considering leasing a 2001 durango. any advice?

also... does anyone know the tax benefits of leasing vs. buying for a small business owner? business use is 75%. Is there a significant difference in deductibles?
  • durango_bluesdurango_blues Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2000 DD for two weeks now and I've had the Malfuction Indicator Light turn on twice on me. I've taken it back to the dealer who said they could not find a problem, they reset the engine control system and MIL light shut off for about one day only to reappear again. The truck still runs strong and gas mileage is not affected. Anyone have similar problms?
  • dean52dean52 Member Posts: 12
    To your question about engaging your brake to shift out of park. I have a 2001 Ram pickup that is the same way. But my 2000 cirrus you have to press the brake first. It could just be the truck and suv line.
    (durango_blues) Have you checked what the DTC is?

At least you could help isolate what the problem is in your own mind. I encounterd a simular problem where the MIL kept coming on too.I had an EES failure which was traced to a hose that had poped off the nipple.

DTC = DiagnosticTroubleCode
    MIL = MalfunctionIndicatioLamp
  • sweinbergersweinberger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Durango. I bought it from Saber Dodge in Stamford CT in July 2000. I wanted a 7 passenger car that was under $30,000 that was not a minivan. The Durango was my only choice. I test drove it. I was impressed with it's power. I,traded in a 1994 Toyota 4 runner, which I loved, for the Durango.
    The first day it rained, I knew we made a mistake. The car is big and heavy and the brakes do not work in the rain. The car fishtails all over the road. It slips and slides around corners.
    Yesterday, a cold rainy day in the Northeast, I slammed into a car in front of me because my brakes froze up and I couldn't control the car. The ABS did not engage. We are all fine. The car protected us well, none the less, it was a terrifying experience and the car will be traded in as soon as the fog light on the front driver's side bumper gets repaired. Any one want to buy it?
    Are there any statistics on brake failure in this vehicle?
    I HATE this car.
    Shari Weinberger
    Shari
    I am glad to hear that no one was hurt beyond some frazzled nerves. You have discovered that a TRUCK is safer than a car. You have also found that the weight of a TRUCK has to be respected while driving or one will slip and slide all over the road due to momentum. Here in Vermont, I see people driving big "SUV's" under poor road conditions as if they are IMMUNE to sliding off of the road. Sadly, many people get hurt thinking like this.

Make no mistake, the durango is a TRUCK. It has a real frame and many people I know appreciate the SAFETY that a truck provides them. As you said yourself, you "SLAMMED" into another "car" and the damage is very minimal.

Brakes cannot help you stop under slippery conditions. ABS will only provide CONTROL while REDUCING the stopping power. Driving too fast for conditions is the main cause of accidents. It is easy to blame the vehicle but I wonder how many years you have been driving a 4 wheel drive or a rear wheel drive vehicle. (4WD and RWD both require unique driving skills.)
  • hertz2buhertz2bu Member Posts: 1
    I’m fighting Chrysler to take back my 98' Durango.
    I have an arbitration meeting on 12/04/00 regarding my Durango

Among the many problems I had with this truck, one of the problems was with the brakes.
    I took it back three times because the brakes just didn't seem to be working well.
    Each time I was told there was nothing wrong.

On snow covered roads my front wheels locked up and I could not steer nor stop, no matter what speed I was driving.

While towing a trailer, I notice that the braking power was greatly reduced for my truck.

A couple of months ago I was towing a camper on a fresh wet road. I was slowly approaching an entrance ramp when my front wheels locked up and I proceeded to creep past the entrance. I figured the reason my front wheels locked up was because of the wet road and the tongue weight of the trailer making the front end light. But why didn't my rear brakes work?

I had my rear brakes inspected and found out that they have never worked! My Durango has never had working rear brakes only the front - and I believe you may have the same problem.

Please keep me informed of what you find and I will do the same for you. I'm hoping that if we both have the same problem with our Durango's we can share our information to help protect ourselves regarding Chrysler and their defective Durango’s.

Thanks
  • joeaa1joeaa1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dodge Durango 2 WD which I have had several problems. I now have 23,000 miles and the biggest problem I have is wind noise. I have taken
    it back twice. The first time the dealer adjusted the front doors, the second time the weather seals
    were replaced. Does any body else have windnoise?
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    Problems with their lights on their 98 Durangos, a couple of weeks ago,my wife said the headlights wouldn't come on with out playing with the switch. Over the weekend I noticed she didn't have any backup lights. At times they work fine, at the other times,they flicker then nothing. Of course when we had it in for the head lights, they couldn't find anything. Now we have to take it in again.
  • beeoliverbeeoliver Member Posts: 1
    As soon as I read your problem regarding stalling or being unable to restart your warm vehicle, I started to cry all over again. This sounds exactly like a problem that I had with a 1982 Chrysler 5th Avenue (V8). I'd make a cold start, drive about 2 or 3 miles, then the car would stall. I'd set for about 5 minutes then I'd try to start it. After 2 or 3 minutes of grinding the starter, it would start with much smoking and missing.(expect flooding), then be ok as long as I didn't let it get cold. Dealer said nothing wrong at least 5 times, then I said OK, you take it home and check it out. Next day, this guy hates my car more than I do, because he didn't know how to start it, as I had learned the hard way.
    Now the good part! One of the Mechanics helpers disconnected the hose that goes to the smog reactor unit, I don't know why, and left it that way. The Dealership ordered a part that they thought would fix it, so I drove away expecting no change until the part was installed.
    You guessed it. The problem never recurred, until about 2 years later, I thought I'd reinstall the hose, as I'm sure I couldn't pass a smog test. Alas, the next day the old problem came back. I fixed it myself.
  • chief142chief142 Member Posts: 4
    I too am having a problem with wind noise 2000 Durango 147 miles on it at 30 MPH it starts and gets louder as the MPH increase dealer has no fix salesman never hears of the problem prior to me any help out there
  • ppattersppatters Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase a new Durango 2001 RT & I love it. This truck is definitely the best SUV in my opinion. But I must admit the gas mileage is very, very poor. I have read several articles on how to increase the gas mileage. For example, replace the factor air filter with K&N filter to receive better gas mileage & horsepower. Is this true, do you have any other suggestions?
  • bkr80bkr80 Member Posts: 1
    I looked long and hard at 2 different Dodge Durango's but after my mechnaic checked them he recommended against both due to bad front upper and lower ball joints. Both vehicles were below 35K miles and priced very well...but...mechanic says there is an issue with ball joint design and it would cost $800 plus to fix.

Anyone else heard of this...and is Dodge fixing this under waranty for current owners??

Otherwise love the vehicle...mechanic broke my heart....
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    I believe that the 98-99 Dakota/Durangos has a ball joint problem that was the subject of a recall. The 2000-01 do not have the problem. Check the recalls on the vehicle and see if what the deal is. You might be able to work a dealer repair under warranty, depending on what the situation is.
  • potter10potter10 Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I'd pass this on. I noticed some where... sorry can't remember exactly where... that there was a RECALL on some 99,000 97-98 Durangos for a brake system design flaw. It seems that the rear brake lines were rubbing on a cross member of the vehicle and the lines were actually wearing through.
  • 4bolts4bolts Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 D with horrible wind noise. I was told to check the bars on top (don't have them), heater settings (nope). A service person told me it was the "posts" and nothing could be done. He hasn't driven with me yet that was just over the phone. I will insist that someone go for a drive with me. The noise is so bad I'm considering renting a car to drive to vegas.
  • funinthesunfuninthesun Member Posts: 1
    Nice, roomy, plenty of power.... brakes are fair, but for a vehicle that weighs approx 5,000 lfs. its pretty good , 4 wheel discs would seem to be a logical fix. I haven't encountered the "wind noise" problems and hope that I don't. The oil sludge problems that have been posted have caused me to raise an eyebrow. I think I'll be sending the Dodge to the dealer for all its service to avoid any of the WARRANTY HASSLES.

I wonder if the wind noise is from any with the larger towing package mirrors, I have heard that other vehicles with the larger mirrors have been known to have a higher level of wind noise (standard mirrors ,here !

If anyone knows where I can get spews for the 2001, especially for the transfer case and the differentials, and upgrades for better mpg, please let me know.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    We have a 1998 Durango SLT 5.9 3.55 that gets 15 mpg in the city. No bull. We have the bug deflector and K&N filter and get 18.4 mpg on the highway, no typo. Over the Rocky Mountains on a two-day trip I averaged 18.4 mpg. On a flat highway at 100kph (about 60mph, the computer says almost 20mpg. A few problems: drivers side rear window doesent go down, and a few parts broken off, but what can you expect from a Chrysler product? Love it, hope to buy it off my dad one day, to go with my new S-10.
  • gilesgiles Member Posts: 15
    I also have a 2000 Durango with big mirrors and don't consider the wind noise
    excessive. If you haven't already, go to http://www.durangoclub.com/ and ask
    your question on the DOC forum. Someone there might be able to answer.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I am the proud owner of a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 with the 5.9L V8 and 3.55 rear end. I love every aspect of my truck. The other day we loaded up three adults, a teenager, two children, five pairs of skis, one snowboard, ten poles, twelve boots, three days of clothing, five days of food along with jackets, hats, gloves etc etc etc into my beautiful Durango, and it all fit perfectly!

Ergonomically I have yet to find fault, the engine is pure and strong and gets 18mpg on the highway and 15 in the city. Problems have been few and far between. There hasnt been anything I havent been able to fit into the back with the seats down.

The heater is great, pumps heat within two minutes and brings the interior to boiling within ten, and the sound superb, even though I have the base 4-speaker system.

My only complaints? I wish I had front ABS and a limited-slip differential. I ordered one with those options and the 5.2 liter, but was told I could get this one that was priced higher for the same price. Good choice. I'll eventually add the limited-slip myself, and the ABS im living just fine and dandy without.

Might trade it in one day for one of the new 4.7s, but only if it blows up for good. It's my faithful steed, and I will keep it for as long as I can.

Tell me about your Durangos! And please, don't go bashing other makes and models when you havent even sat in them yet.
  • redhotpt2redhotpt2 Member Posts: 2
    I Own a 1998 Durango- Also had problems with the ball joints- Very early production vehicle. The ball joints were replaced at 25k miles- No problems now. Early models have a recall / hidden recall
  • redhotpt2redhotpt2 Member Posts: 2
    1998 Durango - 5.2 engine- These models have a defect in the cooling system- They develop a leak where the engine temp guage mounts to the intake manifold. Usually a very small leak that is very difficult to detect. The gasket should be changed.The dealer states that it should cost 120 to 150 for repairs. Do it yourself !!! The housing can be squeezed out with out removing anything from the front of the engine. It took me an hour. Mostly cleaning the old gasket off the manifold. Good Luck
  • yorkieownedyorkieowned Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Durango 4X2 and I absolutely love it. It has a wonderfully smooth, quiet ride. I guess I was lucky to get "the good one" on the lot.

Prior to purchasing it, I tried a Ford Explorer (rough ride) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee (the driver's seat is uncomfortable and I felt like I was sitting high up on a pedestle).

The Durango has wide, comfortable seats. It also had lots more leg room than even the Lincoln Navigator did, especially in front of the 3rd seat.

One thing I really like about it (and maybe this is because it is a 4X2 instead of a 4X4) is that it sits up a little higher than a car, but not too high. When I hit an uneven place in the road, I don't get the wobbly back-and-forth motion I have gotten in other trucks and SUVs.

I couldn't be happier with a car.
  • 4bolts4bolts Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 D and at freeway speeds (mostly all its driven) the air noise coming from the windshield area is unacceptable. My husband opened the hood and taped some gappin areas on the plastic and stuffed foam in other areas. It only made the sound different. I am taking it to another dealer soon for evaluation. I have also tried the setting controls to no avail. If chief finds out a solution from the dealer please post it.
  • danm8danm8 Member Posts: 5
    Got a 1999 5.9 Durango in December 1998. Pluses were: interior capacity, towing ability, with the big tires never got stuck in snow, fairly good acceleration,styling seemed progressive. Negatives: very poor quality of finish inside (metal dash seemed 30 years out of date), expensive for the obvious lack of quality, front passenger leg room poor due to big transmission hump(this was the killer-wife forced me to get rid of it), driver window stopped working. In August of this year got a 4.4 BMW X5. A lot more money but in my view better value and way more fun and performance.
  • jrmdemjrmdem Member Posts: 1
    YES YES YES someone else has it. I'm not hearing things on this $36000 vehicle. about 35 mph it starts, the faster the louver. dealer says nature of beast. dealer suggested bug shield. has anyone tried. had glass shop check for seal leaks, didn't have any. several other Durango owners in my town have other noises but no wind.

husband is a mechanic. when we had to replace our 95 grand Cherokee limited because of too many repair $, last was a new transmission because of design flaw, I wanted a wahoo. he has always been a am guy. however since the fleet of wahoos
    that he constantly repairs for minor and major problems, he would only take me to look, he wouldn't even get out of the car! we had previously owned an 80 gmc jimmy, full size. a rag!

we finally agreed on the Durango, 2000. wanted the extra seat that stayed in the vehicle but folded flat. good choice. love the room in the front. husband 6'4", big guy, me 5'4". suits both sizes perfectly.

back seat is no where near as roomy. seats tend to be to upright.

enough blabbling ----all in all love my durango...
    hope to get the same service as with our 85 dodge pickup. won't get rid of it ever! not pretty but that's "da goat".
  • 31durango31durango Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 01 SLT Plus 4x2 w/ the 4.7 engine. It has the optional 3.92 rear axle w/ limited slip differential, but not the towing package. Does anyone know of the advantages or disadvantages to having the 3.92 over the 3.55 - Gas milage, performance, etc.? I don't plan on ever towing anything. Thanks.
    BSKNROBNS
  • yorkieownedyorkieowned Member Posts: 5
    Muhammed, $34000 is way too high. My 2000 Dodge has all the same stuff as the one you are looking at--leather seats, the 3rd seat, the SLT package, the running boards, EVERYTHING except 4-wheel-drive (which I just didn't need) and I paid $27000 for it brand new. Don't give in!
  • nit1195nit1195 Member Posts: 9
    Today I took my 2000 Durango to my local Jiffy Lube like I do every 3,000 miles, and when the kid took off the oil fill cap, he looked at his boss and said "Another one",. He then told me that every Durango that has the 4.7 Engine that comes in has a layer of white sludge that is in the oil fill cap. It appears that water is somehow getting in. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer for his opinion, but before he tells me that I am Crazy I figure I'd check with the masses. My I has 16,000 miles on it and runs great, has anyone heard of or seen this problem?
    Thanks
    Chris Carlino
  • mrboostmrboost Member Posts: 32
    It is only condensation in the tube. I believe there is a TSB to fix it.

Go here if you would prefer to discuss things in more detail with fellow D enthusiasts at the Durango Club Forum.

http://216.117.167.84/ceilidh/ceilidh.html

• durangodebdurangodeb Member Posts: 1
    I have now owned a 1998, and I now have a 2000
    Durango. They have been both 4x4. I live in
    Michigan, and live in a rural area alot of snow
    and I have yet to get stuck. I actually owned one
    of the first Durango's in my area. I am very
    proud to own one of these suv's. I have however
    been subject to the noise of the wind over my
    windshield too, that was on my 1998. My 2000
    sounds much better. Only one thing that bothers
    me. It needs better insulation, gets cold too
    soon when you turn down the heat. But I LOVE IT.
This discussion has been closed.