Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• Yesterday my 2004 Durango with 41,000 mi. stopped with a bang. Thought I had a blowout but found the front of the driveshaft on the ground. I thought rear end had locked up due to 75 ft of skid marks. Also, two 1" square tubes on front inside of rear tires were broke and about 3" apart.

Dealer says these bars (traction bars? stabilizers?) had been bent (probably by a poor hoist job) and they both cracked then broke. This caused the rear axle to move rearward pulling out the driveshaft. THE REAR END DID NOT LOCK UP AS I THOUGHT IT HAD. IF this is the case, the powertrain warranty covers nothing. HELP!!!! Has anyone heard of such a thing? The last time on a hoist was at another Dodge dealer about a month and 2000 miles earlier. The two dealers are scheduled to discuss my problem tomorrow 9/11. Luckily I was going about 20 mph when this happened or things might be worse.
    IF THE DEALERS WONT PAY FOR THIS, WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE THROUGH CHRYSLER?
  • I have the same a/c problem with my 1998 Durango. Have had it fixed twice and now have in over $1000 into the air conditioning. First it was the H-valve, which was $900. Then the a/c still didn't work and I don't remember what it was the second time. Got it fixed again, then drove 11 hours this July on vacation and had a puddle on the passenger floor in front. Our friend that was with it says it's from the a/c leaking. It doesn't happen when we drive short distances, so we've let it go for now. I'll wait till next summer if we still have it. We had it "fixed" at the dealership twice so next time we'll go somewhere else. All in all I love this car and HATE the look of the new models. I'd buy another one in a minute if they looked the same. (Even with the 13 mpg)
  • co97co97 Posts: 2
    After looking thru all of your entires I really did not notice any major issues with the 2006 models. Is this true?

Reason for asking is that I'm looking for a good SUV that will compete with Toyota and Honda quality. Does the 06 Durango hold up?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Dodge Durango
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • This is a sad fact that Dodge decided we are too stupid to need to have this info accessible. I ended up talking to a tech who looked it up in the service manual. Can someone please post a link to where we can print it off??

Thanks
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Alldata.com may have the info. Lots of libraries subscribe to the Alldata database so give your local reference librarian a call.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Today(12/30/06), my wife was driving our 2004 Durango at low speed preparing to make a turn into a business, when the vehicle suddenly locked up on her and came to a screeching halt. The vehicle was totally disabled in the middle of the road. As it turns out, when I got to her I found both the stabilizer bars from the rear axle to the frame were both broken at the front of the rear tires. This caused the rear to "twist" and lock the drive shaft. We had it towed to the dealer for evaluation. This is very upsetting, especially if she was in a high traffic fast moving situation. Both of the bars had the look of a clean type cut as if they were cut with a saw. As luck would have it the warranty was up 2000 miles ago.

Please let me know how things turned out for you.
  • The interior lights on my 2004 Durango will not go out! Help!
  • eeh42eeh42 Posts: 1
    I got my NEW 06 for $27,200, Limited, Hemi, leather, sun roof, chrome running bars & gas cap, dvd, pwr lift door, tint, tow, ect. Stickered for $39, seemed they were giving them away on Dec 29 an $8000 below invoice deal. Didn't even have to haggle.....much...

Also fyi: you can buy a Chrysler MaxCare bumper2bumper warranty (not 3rd party) 7yr/100k w/$100 dedcut for $1750 at chryslerservicecontracts.com. The dealer wanted to charge me $2,100 for a 5yr/60k mile/$100 deduct with limited parts coverage....rrrrip
  • Charlese,
    I just went through the same thing with my 04. The dealer told me the instrument cluster shorted out along with the light swith relay. It costs $500. I hope you are still under warranty. Look in a wrecking yard. If you find one, the dealer will install and reprogram it. Don't you just love this computer controlled era? I hope this helps. Doug
  • I too have had/have this problem. The dealer has never been able to fix it and it does bother me. Anybody have an update on this?
  • Did you ever find out what the hissing noise was? I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! Please help!
  • I recently purchased a 2003 Durango and noticed that the rear air/heater is malfunctioning. It will not blow hot air. The controls from the front panel work, as do the rear. It, however doesn't get hotter. Any thoughts? I don't think it is the relay b/c when I take the relay out the fan stops, when I put the relay back in it blows.
  • jimjigjimjig Posts: 1
    Is anyone familiar with removing the factory running boards off of a 2002 Durango. I don't like to use them to step into the vehicle and they kind of get in the way. Do they simply unbolt? Do you need to do painting or patching? Will the car look the same as other Durango that never had the running boards installed?
  • I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7 that has died, what would it take to replace it with a 2005 4.7, is it even possible?
  • kackokacko Posts: 2
    have a 2000 dodge durango lately has been backfiring and slow acceleration?
  • nbensonnbenson Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2003 Durango SLT Plus and I'm wondering how to know if it has 4 wheel ABS. The dealer's listing online says it does, but I'd like to be sure.

Otherwise, I like the truck a lot. I drove it (and a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited) today, and like most everything about it. Is there anything specific to this model I should be looking at/for? Thanks for your help!
  • jhtufanojhtufano Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango w/ full time 4WD... Mileage varies from tank to tank dependant on driving conditions (fast, slow, highway, city, and mountains,). On average 12 to 13 MPG is as good as it will ever get without adding an after market engine controller.

If fuel economy is your driving decision maker; look elsewhere.

Regards,

JT
This discussion has been closed.