Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Wet Carpet from Leaks

ivy427ivy427 Posts: 4
Its been almost a year now since I purchased my 2003 Pilot. Since then, carpet keeps getting wet.
Had it serviced in September of 2006 and the service guy said water was coming from firewall, whatever that is. Meanwhile, the Pilot was sent back for service with the same problem. This time a water doctor looked over my Pilot said the problem was fixed. However, my carpet is starting to get wet again. Is anyone out there having this annoying problem?

Comments

• Could be a plugged-up AC drain or check the firewall where the electrical comes through the wall. The plug could be missing, you could use some silicone caulk to plug the hole.
    Newer models have had problems with water due to a bad weld in the firewall.

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16859&highlight=water

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6759&highlight=water+lea- king
  • Thanks for your suggestion. This is an issue that needs to be fixed. There should be a recall on this matter.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    This time a water doctor looked over my Pilot said the problem was fixed.

A "water doctor" is simply a guy with a garden hose who squirts the car hoping to find the source of the leak. You can do the same thing, probably better and without the hourly rate. Pay attention to what happens to water draining off the windshield -- i.e., under the hood, check to see if draining water finds any unsealed seams or missing plugs. You've been patient if you've been putting up with this for more than a year.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,426

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• carguy70carguy70 Posts: 10
    Had this same problem with an accord. the fix was simply run the a/c on recirculate all the time and the evaporator (or whatever in under the dash) won't condensate and drip water on your carpet
  • ivy427ivy427 Posts: 4
    I don't think it has to do with the a/c. The problem with my pilot was that after it rained, water was coming from the A-pillar. After having it serviced 4 times, it's finally fixed. Thank god.

for more forums on wet carpet go to
    http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=192a124ad05e3f58a732c7a5684b11- a9&threadid=16859&highlight=wet+carpet
  • peakaypeakay Posts: 6
    if its coming form a source thats dripping, you can at least put down some of this carpet protection stuff to help keep the carpet dry (though you'll have to have something else there to soak it up). it helped me when i was havign sunroof problems
  • I've had the same problem for over 2 years now. I don't understand how Honda doesn't have any recalls on this problem! I have read so many people have the same problem and can't seem to find the exact cause. Of course It's out of warrenty. Honda Corp. said to bring it to a Honda dearlership. I can't afford their costs!! So we went to local mechanics. We were told it's the windshield, that it wasn't properly installed, so we replaced it, still problems. Next guy said the same, replaced windshield again cleaned out drains. Still problems. Next guy removed both front fenders and sealed anything & everything he could find. Still problems. It's going back in shop monday to check out what other areas that I have read in different forums. Maybe one will be the right one!
  • Bought my 2003 Honda Pilot in 2009 and my floors are soaked after a heavy rain too. It's so annoying!! There really needs to be a recall on these vehicles.
  • defense3defense3 Posts: 4
    EVERYONE who has this problem needs to call Honda Corp and put in a complaint! I also went on line to US DOT NHTSA and complained.
    After 2 years and
    different mechanics, we still can't find the problem. It's not the A-pillar, not the AC drain or electrical comes through the wall, not the cabin filter, not the windshield.
    We will try to find it ourselves whenever Boston decides to warm up and stop raining.
  • deeboodeeboo Posts: 4
    depending on which side, the problem is the rubber molding at the lower corner on the cowl. the molding over time will degrade and shrink. water is supposed to be deflected or routed to the outer edge of the sheet metal. once the seal has been compromised, the water is routed toward the inner edge of the metal. once inside the water seeps down inside the cabin. the seeping water can be seen seeping thru the the hole on the drivers side kick panel. the drivers door can be opened while taking notice of this. my remedy was to clean of the mating surfaces very well and a tube of rtv silicone. seal it very well otherwise the water may find a way in. keep in mind the water has to be routed to the outboard side. let me know if this helps. the dealers couldn't find the leak and won't give me credit. I hope it helps out.
    thanks Deeboo. But what is the cowl and where?
    the cowl is the plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield that covers the wiper motor assembly. the two pieces i'm referring to are on the lower windshield, left and right. carefully lift the rubber piece and you will see two pieces of sheet metal welded together. the outboard side is where the water should run. the inboard side is where the water goes in and ultimately into the cabin. i'm going to take pictures and i can email them if needed or i can upload them but not sure how. dboue31@gmail.com. and by the way, my passenger side carpet is wet as well. would be a good idea to do them both.
    thanks. I just sent you an email so you can email me back the pictures.
    If you'll post the pics on your CarSpace page, then everyone who visits this discussion will be able to see them.

thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

ok steve, good idea. I've posted the pic on carspace page. It won't cost anything but a tube of rtv, towels and time for the carpet to dry. don't forget a mild mildewcide and "no bleach". It will corrode your honda very fast.
    thanks for the picture. I don't believe that's where the water is coming in, we've had those two area looked at & resealed before, but I will give it another look. thanks again!
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Deeboo.

Here's this post again for those who didn't start on the first page:

Interior Water Leaks

defense3, I posted more pics on my carspace page. If you remove the drivers side kickpanel, lift the rubber seal from the lower left corner of cowl, then apply running water thru that entry point, shortly after you will see the water trickling into the cabin at the kick panel.
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting the link. Unfortunately I was unable to access it.
    It there another way I can see this.

It looks like something I would want to show the dealer.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Deeboo. I am another member of the wet carpet club. I am new to this site, and trying to find the pictures you posted. Any chance you could direct me how to find them
  • Honda let me down. 2004 pilot leaks water, not only will Honda Care not cover the "structural" defect, they also say they will not cover any damage caused by the uncovered "structural" defect. If electrical system fails causing the sir bags not to work, too bad. Car always smells like wet dog. Dealer, O'Danial Honda of Omaha, even less help. Been a loyal Honda customer for years, no more, just bought a 2010 Jetta TDI.

I love the Jetta turbo, no leaks, and my friends and I don't smell like crap after riding in it + Great gas mileage.
  • We have a 2005 Honda Pilot, we have had problems with water getting in mostly on the passenger side floor. we think we can see now where the water is coming in after removing some things to see. There is a tube surrounded by foam where it exits into the metal wall towards the door, up above the fuses on the passenger side that seems to connect to another sleeve that looks like it is connected through by the wheel well. It looks like the water is coming from either this black tube or the sleeve or foam where it connects on either end. We cannot tell what this tube is or where it goes- it doesn't seem to have any wires in it. It may be a drain tube??? it is very hard to get to, can you help us???
  • Hi ivy427,
    I know this is an old post for you, not sure if you will get this, but we have the same prob with wet carpet and have been trying everything- AC drains, silicone in the wheel well, checking the sunroof drain, and we think it may also be coming from the A-pillar. But we don't know how to fix it- Do you have any information about how and where they sealed it? We thought it must be coming down from above the passenger side door maybe and running down the pillar? Any help is appreciated!
  • Hope your wet carpet is fixed, ours has been very frustrating! wondering where the pictures you were talking about in this post are? I don't know what you are referring to a carspace page? I was hoping to see if it is something we haven't tried yet. We have already replaced the windshield, along with many other things- any help is appreciated!
  • ajp5ajp5 Posts: 3
    Hi, bought it new, no real accident damage. Started to get wet front passenger side under carpet. Eventually saw it was coming from above the passenger side fuse box. Could not reproduce with a garden hose, only happened after sustained rains. I did consider the sunroof and drains but could not find anything wrong and I a$$-umed that one would see a wet spot up there. Fast forward over a year, calls to Honda and Honda-Care (we don't care about ur leak) and several visits to Honda City In Levittown NY. Door seal replacement failed, nothing from the fender well. Found it taking apart the sunroof, "repaired leak from pass side sunroof tray".

No leaks from it since with two major rain storms. This is probably multifactorial (not just one cause in all vehicles). I consider the $300 they charged to replace the door seals fair as they spent much more than that to find the leak. I would recommend them and will be fighting Honda Care, this was a structural defect as far as I am concerned. alan
  • costicosti Posts: 1
    Hi deeboo. Same water problem here. Do you still have the pics that would show the components described above?
  • I was wondering how you finally were able to fix the leak since I currently have the same issue
  • .We have this problem with our 05 pilot, it just rained out here in cali for over a day and the leaking started again. we took it to the dealer in dec of last year after only having it a month and a half, they could not duplicate the leak so we must of left are windows down they said BS. I done a lot of research online. reported both to HONDA AND NHTSA no help from them!I hope to fix this myself with a buddy of mind before it really starts to pour out here, wish me luck