Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero Maintenance and Repair

I keep finding a small puddle of coolant sitting on a lip about 1/3 of the way down the engine. About 4 months ago it kept overheating so I changed the thermostat, fixed. But it still leaked coolant slowly. Now the car is overheating again and the heat doesn't work most of the time. It also is going through a crazy amount of anti-freeze, and it is blowing out the overflow hose on the reservoir. About to take it to a dealer or mechanic, I don't have a garage and it is -4 outside. Can anyone help??

Comments

• I have a 2000 Alero and whenever i drive it it turns off, but it'll turn on again, but i have to wait for like 2-5 mins. so it can start it up. what is wrong with it?
  • My 2000 Alero did the same thing. Dealer replaced electronic fuel pump, no more occurences (yet).
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    If it's a V6 then it's a real possibility the intake manifold is leaking. It's a problem that has been discussed many times here and in the Grand Am forum.
  • Taking my 01 v-6 Alero in to get fixed any idea on how much it should cost? Leaking Intake Manifold.
    If that's what it is, if I remember right, expect $600-$700.
  • Head gaskets, $1,000 to $1,500.
  • robwhitrobwhit Posts: 13
    My daughter's 2002 Alero 4 cyl stalls maybe twice a week, especially in cold weather,when engine is warm and idling- NO check engine light comes on. Mechanic confused- one reply said changed fuel pump to solve problem-would yellow light not go on if fuel pump failed? Any other ideas what problem may be? Mechanic wants to start replacing some other expensive electronic parts. Car has new fuel filter. Runs GREAT otherwise.
  • I'm so glad that I found this website. For the past two weeks my 2003 Alero has been doing the same thing. The dealer has made me feel like I'm making this up because they weren't able to recreate what happens when the car is in my possession. I've paid for a new battery and several diagnostics that turned up nothing. No engine or service light has come on. I will be printing this suggestion off and telling the dealer since my car is currently not working. Thanks again!
    Further to my daughter's alero problem-It has been suggested to me that many times the key assembly loses the signal (anti theft)and will shut the car off-local dealer sells a lot of these ignition assemblies and my dtr had A LOT of extra heavy keys etc on her key chain which can damage it due to the extra weight. She now only has the one key on the chain and so far car hs run fine-We are crossing our fingers-Do you have a lot on your key chain and is yours a 2.2 engine? Our dealer says not many fuel pump assemblies are sold-they are very costly!!
    Is the security light coming on while driving? The passlock system is not supposed to shut the car down if it detects a security fault while it's running, but the light will come on.
    Having a failing fuel pump shouldn't in itself cause the check engine light to come on.
    No there are NO lights coming on the dash-Interestingly it only stalls when idling.
    someone else suggested that if fuel pump failed the engine yellow light would likely NOT come on. The price of a fuel pump assembly is unreal for this car!! So far the car has been OK with only the ignition key on her keychain but the stalling tended to happen when it was cold outside even after engine was at running temp.
    Thanks for your interest in trying to solve this wierd problem. If a dealer started playing with the car it would soon be over a $1000 and still maybe not fixed.
    Have you tried wiggling the ignition switch while it's idling to see if you could replicate the problem?
    Yes but it did not cause it to stall. With the nicer weather the problem seems to have gone away till next winter.
  • mickey20mickey20 Posts: 1
    i took my car back to the dealer in october to get mines fixed. I paid 800.00 dollars. Now the same things has happen again this time they say i need a new motor, I think that they did not do something right the first time. because the car did the same thing again.This time it messed my motor up
  • thompdthompd Posts: 2
    I've read through the thread and I can't believe all of the problems with coolant leaks from an Alero. Just took mine to a dealership to check the cause of a coolant leak and some other "loud" noises. Was told that I needed the following - Engine drive belt (is this the same as serpentine belt?), spark plugs, water outlet assy., F&R Brakes,;fuel filter,front engine mount, engine cover, outer tie rod ends and "set toe in"(never heard of that one). I've had the car for 5 years. Not quite ready to purchase a new car and huge payment but was told by one mechanic that it really may not be worth fixing since the mileage is high and don't know what will go next. There are also some lights that need replacing. Estimated about $2700. (pricey dealership fees). Any thoughts??
    The drive belt is the serpentine belt. Brakes of course are wear items. Fuel filter is recommended to change at 100K, but it may need it or not, but it's good maintenance, same with the spark plugs. I take it your coolant leak is from the water outlet leaking - is it a gasket or the housing leaking itself? The engine mount can be bad at 100K, it's not unusual. Don't know what they mean by the "engine cover". Outer tie rod ends if worn and replaced will mean the toe in will have to reset, in other words an alignment.
    I like to get at least 150K out of a car, so I would consider doing the repairs, but I do as much myself as I could to keep the cost down. You may get by without the plugs and fuel filter, the rest you should do.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    My daughter's 2001 V6 Alero shuts down while driving. The first symptom is the doors unlock on their own, and some dash lights may flash. So far she just pulls off to the side and is able to restart the car.
    Also, sometimes the car won't start, it acts as if the battery is dead (the battery was just recently replaced). After several tries if then will start.
    Any idea of what can be wrong?
    Bad ignition switch? Does she have lots of stuff hanging on her key ring?
    Thanks for your reply-Yes she had quit a bit extra on her key chain and since removing all of it the car has not stalled-if this is the problem it is wierd that it did not stall while driving and only at idle.
  • when I went to put it in reverse,the little button on the side of the shift lever popped out.It won't stay in,is it broke or can it be fixed or do I need a new one.How easy is it to fix? 2000 alero 4cy