Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero Maintenance and Repair

14567810»

Comments

• Could also be the other wheel bearing assy. You mentioned you only replaced one of them.
  • alwyn2alwyn2 Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    On a 2000 Windstar SEL we have had two recalls recently- (1) 10S13 Cracked Rear AXle and (2) 11S16 Subframe recall--after both times having checked and partially repaired(awaiting Parts to be deliveded to Dealership) to complete job, we have experienced the Active Control Light coming on for a few seconds many times within a couple miles over somewhat bumpy roadways--(not that rough-but not as say Interstate or Parkway roadways)One time Dealership put in a Rear Right Speed Sensor--did not help. We understand more Speed Sensors -how many are there? Has any one have the answer and or solution to this problem?
  • tuwe123tuwe123 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2000 oldsmobile alero, i started having the usuall coolant issues i had for a while. Before i could get it to the shop i parked it, and the ignition completly locked up. when i say locked up i mean the key will not turn at all, as if the steering wheel was locked or the lock cylinder mechinisim went bad. I thought it had to be the lock cylinder so i changed it and the ignition switch housing where the lock cylinder fits into as well. It started up just fine with new ignition even though its said the new ignition wouldnt work until i had it programmed at dealer. it worked for about 3 or 4 starts then the ignition loked up again! Can anyone help or have any ideas what could be locking my ignition up to where the key will not move at all??? The keys are fine they came new with new lock.
  • I had what I think is same prob in last 2 weeks. I was working in dash to replace my radio. To do so I also had to remove the shift console cover. Finished & replaced all covers -- couldn't remove key!!!

Took it to my mech and he poked around a little. Told him I was working on radio. He immediately removed console cover, fished around inside and found a pair of eyeglasses. The had fallen in and partially blocked the shifter from going all the way into park hence could not remove key. Did anything get under the console cover???
  • About 2 months ago, my wife was leaving work and her alero would not start. I first used my bosses car to jump start it as the battery was so dead that the engine would only partially turn. Once the battery had charged for about 20 mins, I tried to start it. It turned over great for about 4 seconds, then a dumping sound, I then removed the intake cover and tried again, turned over great, then the dumping sound. I noticed that a puff of smoke came flying from the intake. right after the dumping sound. I then let it charge back up again and again tried starting it, but this time held gas to the floor and it started. I drove about 1 and 1/2 miles and as I was slowing down for a red light, it began jerking and died, I turned off lights and pushed it to the side of the road, tried to start it again and the battery was dead.
    I went home and brought my 1985 f150 back and jumped it again, same thing, wouldn't start unless I held the gas down, but now when it started, it ran very very rough, engine bouncing around like it was going to pop out. (not really).

Towed it home, replaced ignition coils, spark plugs, cat converter, and battery. Tried to start it, nothing. Just turnes over and makes the dumping sound from the intake. Only difference is now it wont even start when I hold the gas down. Bought the CP9125 OBD II Pocket Scan, ran the scan, 2 codes returned, p0107, and p0107pd. , went to Advance auto and bought map sensor and the vacuum hose for the map sensor. Installed..Same thing, no start, I pour gas into the intake and it still dont try to start, it will act like it wants to start sometimes indicated by the engine turning a bit faster from time to time, but no start at all. At this point I re ran the scanner and it returned with 0 codes. Anyone have any idea what to test,check, try?
  • I have a '02 Alero, 6cyl Automatic. We bought the car used and it has been a great car for us. But now the Service Engine light is on, the ABS light, change oil light and the Enhanced Tracking system light are all on. We change the oil regularly, we had a tune up done on it and the brakes aren't even two years old. So what is causing all these lights to come on?

Also I have to take my daughter to chemo everyday which is an hour away. I have noticed on these recent trips my car is struggling to go up hills. If I push on the gas to accelerate it revs up to 4000 RPMs and still will not accelerate. It acts as though it isn't wanting to shift. What could be causing this?

P.S. I can't afford for my car not be be working right now with my daughter's medical so any DIY info you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!!
14567810»