Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joe7074joe7074 Posts: 2
    same thing happened on mine also.i was planning on going to the junk yard and seeing if i could find another one.it looked to me like the hole gets wollowed out from use until it just popps.sorry i dont have an answer but your not alone
  • Just got the car fixed.The part was broken and it cost $43.00.My mechanic took ten minutes to put in ..........
  • ksnmlaneksnmlane Posts: 1
    My g/f's '01 alero, driving to work, every light on the dash came on, check engine, trac-off, etc... what could this be??
  • lgoodenlgooden Posts: 1
    My 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, V6, 3.4. Had problem running hot, I took it in for repairs an it would not start after they did service. after complaining I did the work all over myself.. I had the heads serviced; serviced, valves adjusted and replaced head gaskets. but when I torque the rocker arms done to 168 inch pounds the car want idle smoothly an some time want start. so I keep re adjusting the rocker arms, loosening them and slowly torque them down, it works find if I dont torque them down all the way, but they loosen like that. also I've notice that the Ex-rods our a little longer than 6 inches. And I read the my over heating problem could and still maybe that my water tank on the radiator could be bad or need a smooth service.. Which I think could be the next issue.
  • rpino69rpino69 Posts: 7
    My wife owns a 2001 Alero and the check eng and trac off light keep coming off an on. When it is on the trans hits real hard. Can anyone help.
  • I've been having a problem with my Alero. I'm driving & then suddenly the car won't go past 10 mph, it doesn't shut off or stop, it keeps driving but not over 10, and when I step the gas, the car pulls . I have to turn it off and re-start it again for it to gain speed but then a couple of miles or blocks, whatever the car feels like doing, later it happens again. I've been on the highway when this happens, I've been on city streets when it happens, I've even been on stop lights when it happens...It's emabarrassing, annoying & not to mention, dangerous. Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions? I've had the spark plugs changed. :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • I have a 2000 Olds Alero with a V6. It is throwing a code for the Cam sensor. I purchased a new Cam sensor but now I'm not sure where the Cam sensor is located. Can anyone tell me where to find the cam sensor on this motor? Thanks.
  • Our 3.4 2002 Alero (65,000 miles), has a problem with acceleration. It is very sluggish when accelerating, although after about a 5 mile run on the freeway, it improves, but is not perfect. It's now virtually impossible to drive safely, and on an incline, we are in trouble!

About 10 days ago, we filled it up with gas from our usual gas station, and inserted a well known make of fuel-injector cleaner, which we use about every 3 months. Therefore, we thought it may be some dodgy gasoline. So, when it dropped to about 1/4 full, we filled up again, but it has made no difference. Now the 'Service Engine Soon' light is on, but is not flashing. I've checked the fuel cap, and that seems to be fine.
    Can anyone advise before I take it to my shop for yet more remedial work!

Thanks!
  • Turns out the repair shop guys ran a scan, and the catalytic converter was shot! Apparently, the average life for the 3.1, 3.4 & 3.8 liter engines is 71,000 miles. Total cost to repair was around $450! HOWEVER, the good news is, GM waranty these converters for 8 years or 80,000 miles; at least for our model (2002). So, if you have this problem, check with GM, to see if it is covered by their warranty.
  • I have a 2001 Olds Alero. The other day, out of the blue it started acting like it wanted to stall( shaking and idling very rough) Once you start going it seems to run okay, only had problem at idle, however, it did make a smell kind of like burnt fireworks. The check engine light flashed on and off. Diagnostic showed misfire on 3. I was told to look for vacuum leak. Got it home, turned it off, now it wont start. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • See my two posts above. Maybe number 3 spark plug has gone? How long ago did you change the plugs? What engine do you have? What's the odometer reading?

Sorry to state the obvious, but get it towed to a repair shop ASAP, don't drive it there, even if you can get it started. By driving it to the shop, you may do more damage than good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it not too expensive for you.
  • my 2001 is doing the same thing, my husband found a broken wire in the drivers side wheel, its suppose to be for a speed sensor, but my speedometer works fine. they want 350.00 to fix it.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Sounds like the broken wire is for the ABS (anti lock brakes), so it wouldn't have anything to do with the speedometer.
  • I need the location of the HAZARD WARNING SWITCH on my wifes v6 2001 Olds Alero. The turning/hazard lights are intermittent. I see there is a recall on that part. But if its somewhere I can get to it I would prefer to replace it. IF that part is available to the public.

Thank you,

Jeff
  • Hi my name is Klaus and I’m from Germany

I'm driving a 2000 Alero and my current problem is, that my dash light shuts of, when my headlight go’s on. I tried the wheel where you can dim it, but it's still dark. Even the display on the radio gets dark.
    Did has somebody the same issue.

Klaus
    :confuse:
  • Just two days ago my 2000 Olds Alero Coupe started to idle rough. I went to my local Autozone and had a free code reading. It said Cyl 1 Misfire. I took the coil pack off the car and removed the plug boots then put them back on. The car is doing the same thing. I purchased a new coil hoping that would be the problem but have decided to wait until I can pick up the plug boots and do the two jobs at the same time while I have the coil pack off. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'm thinking about replacing both coils as this is the 4 cyl 2.4 model and has two coils.
  • phnzzphnzz Posts: 1
    When I turn of the rear defroster it only stays on for a short time. If I push the button again the light does not come on. I have to wait a few minutes then it will come on for a short time. What needs to be replaced? Thanks.
  • I am having trouble with my heat. The heat will only come out at the highest fan setting any other setting only minimal heat will come out as I accelerate. the heat comes out very warm. that is not the problem. the problem is it is only coming out on the fan setting. I have a new water pump and no leak I can see. Can anyone give me any advice?