Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    So far I always set it at 2WD, as I drive on highway or city. If I set it at AUTO and drive in the same situation, will it still be at 2WD if no slipage is detected, and be at 4WD if it's necessary? Is it better to leave it at AUTO so I don't have to judge when 4WD is needed? This is my first 4WD car so I need to learn it.
    Thanks
  • avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    jiamin,

2WD - basically the economy mode. 2WD only.

Auto - the electronic clutch is engaged (you will probably feel a "bump" when you turn the engine off while in auto - this is normal), you are still in 2WD until slipping is detected, then the front wheels are engaged as needed.

Here is what I do. On nice sunny days where the roads are perfect I use 2WD. If there is one drop of rain or any other less than ideal road conditions I use Auto.

Auto is considered the "normal" mode, you can use it all the time if you want. I have never run a full tank in Auto. I might try that to see if there is any mileage difference.
    Thanks a lot avalanche325 for the reply.
    So if in Auto mode and no slipping, it is a virtual 2WD probably with same MPG?. When slipping occurs, some torque will be sent to two front wheels, and how much is sent depends on the slipping condition right? How much % is the maximum torque sent to front? I think torque is always the same between left and right wheels?
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I've tried the switch in 2wd on a full tank and then Auto on a full tank and found no difference in MPG. Of course I wasn't able to determine if 4WD was ever engaged when in auto, but I don't believe there is any significant MPG difference.
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    Anyone out there have the nav CD for the SE US. I'm concerned about the amount of detail for the Naples, Marco Island, FL area. Will be driving down from MN and want to know if purchasing the additinal CD is worth it. Thanks
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    Who here is from Minnesota? Twin cities area?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Is there any experience here that you can quote on gas mileage or power?
  • angrystar33angrystar33 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a used QX4, fully loaded, mint condition, with only 21,000 miles. The asking price is about $22,000. Also considering new cars, like the Pathfinder. I've done some research and a lot of posts here have helped me out, but the posts don't start until 2000, leaving little discussion about the '99, Does anyone have any advise or opinions on the '99, such as how long they should last compared to other SUV's? Thanks.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    In 2001, they upgraded the engine to 240 HP. Before that, the vehicle was very underpowered. Personally, I would look at a used 2001 Pathfinder or QX4 if you like the overall vehicle.
    I would not consider such and underpowered vehicle. That's why I chose the QX4 over the 4Runner that was my 2nd choice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    That sounds like a lot of money to me. You could get yourself into a new (2002) Pathfinder for that kind of money. Pathfinders are pretty much given away at or below invoice (especially during the summer) here in the NY area.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I took delivery of a new 2001 QX4 yesterday. It's new in that it had 399 km (250 miles) on the odometer) ...

Unfortunately, the dealer has misplaced the owner's manual and has ordered a replacement for me.

I have figured out everything in the vehicle except how to turn off the horn chirp when locking the vehicle from the key fob. Could someone check their manual to see how to do this?

Thanks ...
    couimet:
    There should be directions on the back of the key fob.
    Thank you!

I turned the lights on bright and put on my glasses and Voila!

Thanks again ...
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Just a comment on horn chirp...In some neighborhoods when you park your car, it's not a bad thing to have that loud annoying 'chirp' letting everyone know the car is alarmed...Just a thought...
    Lunch time parked in company parking lot. So hot in the car that I rolled all four windows an inch down, and wanted to tilt up the sunroof. Then I found the sunroof glass is probably not tinted. I'm going to tint it. From Home Depot I got a roll of tint film that reflects 70% heat and reduces up to 99% UV.
  • jasonsonjasonson Member Posts: 2
    The film that you got at Home Depot is like you trading your QX4 in on a Pinto. If you have ever noticed the cars with purple tint and bubbles on the windows, this is the same quality of film. I only say this because I used to be President of the Window Film Association of New Mexico. Your better off finding a Window Tinting shop that will sell you the film over the counter instead of installing the you have purchased. By the way, it will turn purple in about 10 to12 months and start to bubble in about 20 to 24 months if not sooner.
    I have tinted three cars. First on my 86 Sentra, as a practice. Yes bubbles came out after a few years. Second on my 94 Altima, much better with some small bubles after a few years. Third on my friend's 95 Maxima, don't know how it is.
    Does different film makes different amount of bubbles? I used to think if I could squeeze all the air out during the process, it should be OK. Maybe some film is laminated not perfectly, with some air in between?
  • xmerxmer Member Posts: 14
    to have XM radio as an option?

i have a 01 QX4 with aftermarket XM radio hooked to Bose, but would like to sell my 01 and get a 03 QX4 with factory installed XM radio. talked to the dealer and i was disappointed that G35, I35, M45, Q45 and FX45 will all have Xm radio as option except QX4.

does QX4 have a different audio setup ?
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    Some significant features will be added to 03 Pathfinder, such as curtain side air bags in addition to seat-mounted side air bags, vehicle-skid-control system, etc. I think XM will also be available for 03 Pathfinder. It seems that Pathfinder will coexist with Murano for a few more years, but this will not be the case with FX45 and QX4.
    I'm trying to sell my QX4. I've put classified ads in both major newspapers in my area (Twin Cities, MN), an ad on cars.com, and an ad on CarSoup.com. Does anyone have some other ideas for me? I just purchased a house, so I can no longer afford the vehicle.
  • jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    Yes, my wife drives the 99.5 and I know it's underpowered, but believe it or not it was all part of my plan. I bought it for her after 2 accidents (one in my 328i and the other in my 911)

I actually wanted her in something that did NOT have a lot of horsepower. Also bought the car well below invoice and for 3 years it has had very little problems and still looks new.

I didn't count on needing to tow anything, but now am buying a boat. Does anyone out there tow with the older qx4's. I would like to hold off buying a new vehicle, but am concerned about the towing capacity. The boat is a 20 foot Hurricane Deck boat and weighs approx 3,500 pounds. One up the mtn. (lake arrowhead, ca) it will be mostly on flat land.

I would appreciate any advice, opinions etc.

thanks,
    Jason
    I had my sunroof tinted today, for $25 which is a very reasonable price to me. You are right jasonson, it's not worth doing it myself even if I could do it perfectly. The shop used their darkest film, little darker than QX4 rear windows and windshield.
    Well I'll either return the film, or use it on my house windows.
    about the window tinting. I have not seen any aftermarket tinting that doesn't bubble. The Pinto analogy was perfect. It just makes it look cheap. To each his own I guess. Manfacturers must dissolve the tint into the glass in the molten form. I think that would be the only way I would want it.
    Since day one, when I step on the right side running board ib the front and then let go, car bounces one time with a "zzz" noise. Left side has no noise. Didn't pay much attention until this morning. Called service dept and they told me to bring in ID and proof of insurance for a loaner. I didn't expect a loaner but want someone's few minutes to find obvious cause.
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    I've been offered $30,800 for a brand new QX4 2WD, with the premium package and sunroof. Good deal? Thanks for the input.
    If you are, that is an extremely good deal. The best I could do when I bought mine in January when checking 7 dealers in 4 states was $33 K flat for the same vehicle.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    I would jump all over it!
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    What part of the country do you live in? I'm curious because that is a good price for a 4X2. What does a 4X4 with a premium package and sunroof go fo? Thanks-
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    I'm in So. Calif. I think a 4x4 would go for an additional $1500-1800 more... I think. I sent an e-mail to a dealer (Miller Infiniti) and the fleet/internet manager responed to me with that price. I have to find out if the financing deal Infiniti is offering is good with that price.
    is actually the dust boot noise. Service consultant pressed it while I stepped on the running board, and it made the same noise louder. I am glad it's not something serious but this time I didn't get a loaner car to play with.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no buying or selling on Town Hall....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jasonsonjasonson Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to chime in here and give my two cents worth. My wife and I were looking for a new car and decided to drop by the Infiniti dealer one night just to look at the QX4's. She really wanted an RX300 but decided to look anyway. When we arrived at Infiniti (Of Nashville) the experience started. When we informed them that we were mostly looking at the RX300 and just stopped by to look, the salesperson did not try to talk us out of the Lexus. He simply informed us of the differences between the two and offered a test drive. We declined and went back to Lexus. Lexus could have cared less who we were. No cars to drive or look at. I think they got the idea that we were serious when we drove onto the lot with a QX4. Long story short, Lexus was like the Acura Dealers, stuck up, there way or the Highway. Not only did the Infiniti dealership treat us like we were the only customer that they cared about but they did not try to pressure us. After about 5 trips to the dealership and an invitation to drive one home for the evening (we accepted), we decided that the QX4 was really the car (or SUV) for us. By the way not only did we purchase one, we decided to drive off the lot with two. If you are going to buy the QX4, go to or call Infiniti of Nashville. I would not consider anyone else if you are looking for the ultimate experience. E-mail us if you want more information at compfixerdude@msn.com.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congrats on your new prides and joys but let's be careful not to turn satisfaction into solicitation and promotion!

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Did you get a 2 car discount? Do you have pictures of your twins? Are they identical or fraternal?
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone know where I can purchase an used 01 or 02 QX4 17-inch factory rims that are in working condition. I hit a high curb and severly scratched the rims, and now the tires cannot be balaned properly. I was quoted $549 for new rims at an dealership. Thank you.
  • ntmtntmt Member Posts: 9
    hi all,
    I saw one ad of 99 QX4 4X4, full factory warranty(wonder how it has full factory warranty for 99 model, :)), 17,999, perfect condition. Is that a good price, pls help, b4 this one gone, thanks for all inputs in advance.
    It still has warranty because the basic 4 year warranty doesn't run out until next year. Edmunds TMV says $20.8 K for a '99 model so that is a good price. I would not have one myself because of the smaller engine.
  • silvertributesilvertribute Member Posts: 8
    What is a good current price on a new QX4 that people have paid in the last month in the southeast region. I am thinking of getting one, but have not talked with anyone as of yet. I want to get a 4x4 and fully loaded one except for heated seats and tow package. Also does anyone know if there are any special rebates or incentavies going on right now for the QX4?
    and it was loaded with everything you want except the Navigation System and Chrome wheels. It was also not two-tone paint. It does have the DVD player and gold emblems though. I paid $35.8K for mine not counting tax and doc charges. I also got the attractive 2.9% financing deal they were offering on 60 months.
  • domi4domi4 Member Posts: 1
    A 2002 Silver QX4.

The vehicle is awesome. Handles well, good performance and a solid SUV.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. The Qx4 is a much better SUV... there is no comparason.

Glad I made the purchase
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Ugly Exterior. The pathfinder is essentially the same vehicle and has a much better exterior apperance imo. Looks like nissan just screwed on some extra fiberglass cladding to come up with this one. Trying to "church" it up....
    Other than the guy behind the wheel, my QX4 looks quite nice ...
    Style is a personal taste. To me, QX4's exterior look is at least above average. It gives me an impression of power, confidence, etc.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    For someone shopping for a Jeep Liberty, Jefferson must really need a new pair of glasses. The Liberty, imho, is one ugly vehicle.
    I agree but not as many people will notice as it'll spend much more time indoors in the dealer's service bays ...
  • aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Hi everyone,
    Does anybody have any info on QX4 safety ?
    I looked on IIHS site where they rate QX4 as M=marginal, but they have tested 1997 model. I'm assuming 2002 QX4 should be a much safer vehicle, but can't find any info on that. If you have any links or information, let me know
    Thanks
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

I think the one you listed is an insurance industry organization. It might be because of the offset frontal crash test that they do that gave the QX4 a marginal rating. The head-on and side impact test data looks excellent. The roll over tests look as good or better than most other SUV's.

I would also check the Nissan Pathfinder - same vehicle ...
  • aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for your replies.
    The marginal rating indeed comes from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Even though NHTSA
    rates it very good, IIHS rating still is a bit troubling. I'm wondering if 2002 model actually does peform marginally in offset crash or did they improve it since 1997. As Pathfinder goes, I think that's the one they test, claiming that cars are identical for the crash test purposes.