Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    It depends on where you live. If you live in a big city like I do, where traffic intersections are the deadliest place to be(statistically, more than 90% of fatal accident occur within 30 miles of one's own residence), QX4/Pathfinder is probably not a bad choice due to their excellent side-impact test rating and side air bags that protect both torso and head. On the other hand, If you spend a lot of time driving on a rural two-lane and two-way road , which is the deadliest of all highways, you would only feel safe in a full-size SUV. Mid-size SUVs are not good choices from a safety point of view, no matter how good their IIHS offset test ratings are.
  • Options
    chayeschayes Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend a good place/site for rubber mats? I just purchase a QX4 a week ago. Any help would be appreicated. Thanks.
  • Options
    aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks,pf01
    I guess you're right about full-size SUV being a good choice as far as safety goes. I looked at Toyota Sequoia, but the trouble is, it's too big for me and I'm also concerned about build quality.
    Do you own a QX4? If so, are you pretty happy with it's handling,braking etc, and in general, it's accident avoidance capablities?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    gregfockergregfocker Member Posts: 39
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I hope you're not trying to sell one here! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    On my 2002 QX4 4wd, I've noticed that after driving at normal operating temperatures, and I turn the car off get out of the vehicle... I place my hand on the top of the hood directly over the left front fender (wheel area where the front hood meets the fender) and it is extremely hotter than other parts of the front hood. Is there something under the hood at that location that would generate so much more heat than the rest of the engine compartment? I'm not talking warm here, I mean HOT!!
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Mine is also 02 QX4 4X4. I found after turn the car off, it'll take a few minutes before hood gets hot, as during driving wind cools the hood. However on my hood, both sides gets about the same hot, I can't tell the difference.

The hood on my 2000 RX300 2WD gets a little less hot, I can easily feel that.
  • Options
    iamdrkmaniamdrkman Member Posts: 1
    eric.adams@navy.mil
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It does smell like a bit of solicitation going on in here. There is no buying and selling on Town Hall. Unless you want to buy a banner ad at the top of the page. In that case, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the ad department. Maybe they'll give me a referral fee ;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    Just wondering... so it's wrong to ask a question such as "Where can I get a cargo cover?" And even more wrong for someone to say "I got one that I don't want." Wouldn't that mean giving someone info on where to buy one would also be wrong?
  • Options
    bateaubateau Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone fill us in with your experience towing a boat with a QX4? We're thinking of getting a QX4 for all the obvious reasons, but also to tow our 2,500-lb. boat. Also, any updates on rollover data? Thanks.
  • Options
    reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    beteau,

I towed a much lighter boat and did not like the response or feel. Especially when highway driving w/o overdrive. The RPM's were bothersome. I will keep my QX4 but buy a larger SUV for towing. It seems to have the power, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to do highway speeds in or out of OD.
  • Options
    I'm 2000 miles from home and need to do my own oil change. Can I buy the proper oil filter at a Nissan dealer? Any tricks or special tools needed to do my own change other than a filter wrench? Thanks
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    There is a plastic "skid plate" under the Pathfinder and QX4 that needs to be removed (half a dozen or so screws) to get at the filter. After that, it's straight forward.

Drive through oil change stations seem to be baffled by the "skid plate" in my experience and one of them lost a few of the screws on my 2000 PF.

Nissan dealers (if there is one close by) will do the oil and filter change for not much money in my experience.

Dealing with the "skid plate" and disposal of the used oil is too much of a hassle in my opinion. I'd suggest you find a Nissan or Infiniti dealer nearby ...
  • Options
    Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    8 screws to be exact on 'skid plate'...and what great sage thought up that fiberglas 'skid plate'...would really hate to really hit something and have to rely on that to protect the undercarriage...and it is a pain in the xxx to remove...but I do it...always do own oil changes...an you're right that dealer oil changes have become more reasonable...and it's the only negative I have about the car...Have had 2001 for 2 years and still love it...except for doing.......
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if the cargo cover mounting is easily removeable? I need to place items that will be taller than the level of the cargo cover, but I can't seem to figure out if is removeable, and if so how to unhook it. I see there some sort of clips or snaps but I'm afraid to force it for fear of breaking it off.
  • Options
    Just pop both ends straight up and it'll come out. I had the same situation. I think the safest way is to use one hand over it to block it if it goes too high and hit something. One end at a time.
  • Options
    Today I was sitting in my 02 QX4, reading and waiting for someome. Engine was turned off but the key was in the ignition. I noticed the driver door locked automatically a little while after the key was inserted (only the driver door was unlocked as I normally do). I'm positive that I didn't touch the key. Then I pulled the key out and used the remote to unlock the drive door only (pressed UNLOCK one time), inserted it back in ignition in the OFF position. Just a few second it automatically unlock the drive door again.

I tried repeating that but it didn't happen.
  • Options
    I locked my QX the other day and when I returned the driver door would not unlock. I tried everything and finally climed in through the passenger side. This was very difficult to do until I could get to a dealer so I tried pulling real hard on the door with the window open toward the close position. This worked and freed up the lactch mechanism and it fixed it. Apparently the latching mechanism got jammed. Anyone else experience this problem?
  • Options
    Does anyone have any experience with buying a 2002 QX4 recently? Are there any significant discounts(except 0.9% APR)? and how desperate are dealers to get the cars off their lots? Any help would be appreciated,as I'm going to get a 2002 4wd very soon.
    Thanks
  • Options
    My dealer had $3000 off MSRP a few months before my purchase, and later they had $4000 off MSRP besides 0.9% for 3 years. My 02 QX4 4WD is $33555 plus tax. doc, etc, in late May. Someone here got better deal than I did. Dealer said there is alway $400 ad fee (nationwide or something) which I don't quite believe customers should pay but I paid $300 for that.
    BTW, my 4WD is typically equipped: sunroof and its diflector, premium package, rear spoiler and that's all.
  • Options
    I've felt towing with a 2001 QX4 has been a breeze. The RPMs, lag, etc hasn't been any different than a fully loaded cargo area.
  • Options
    Today I experienced it again. I pressed twice the UNLOCK on the keyless remote in order to get in and sit on rear seat. I didn't insert the key into ignition, just closed the door that I got in from so all doors were closed but none was locked. About 10 minutes later all doors were automatically locked! I'm positive the remote control wasn't touched.
  • Options
    While towing did you have to push in the shift lever button to keep it out of overdrive? How heavy of a load were you pulling? On American trucks they suggest keeping the vehicle out of OD when towing. If I do this with my QX4, the rpm's seem too high.
  • Options
    reb12:
    It depends where I was driving whether I used overdrive or not. When I was in relatively slow traffic or on slow roads, I turned overdrive off to make sure I had the power to pull. Yes, the RPMs may seem high, but they would be high if you were in overdrive also. I use overdrive when I'm cruising at interstate speed. I can't say that I've towed as much as you plan on towing. I've probably maxed out around 2000 lbs.
  • Options
    ssqx4ssqx4 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have wind noise (whistling) coming from sunroof in a 2002?
  • Options
    After talking to Infiniti on the phone about 2003 QX4 I got the impression that it will be the last year for this car. Does anyone know anything about QX4 future or model changes for the next years
    Thanks
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    They will be coming out with a larger SUV that will hold at least 7 passengers.

SSQX4: Do you have a deflector on your sunroof? I have a bug deflector on the hood and it whistles too.
  • Options
    I haven't found wind noise from sunroof, but from A-pillar at, say above 50 mpg. Also at certain speed like 65 mpg or so, I could hear noise of a certain frequency. If I open the front door and knock at the B-pillar at my eye level, it sounds hollow with the frequency very similar to what I just described. I knocked at my RX300 B-pillar and it sounds solid. I guess it's the resonance.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    richsmirichsmi Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks - I have the opportunity to buy a used 2000 or 2001 QX4...I'd rather spend less money and get the 2000 model but I have a 3500 pound boat that I need to tow occasionally. The dealer says they will both tow it no problem since they both call for 5000 pound max towing...However, I've heard that the 2001 engine is better suited for this...Can the 2000 QX4 tow my boat without problems??? Any advice or experience would be appreciated...thanks!
  • Options
    richsmi, go for the 2001!!!! You will be disppointed with the ability of the 2000 for towing your boat.
  • Options
    Beautiful pics, especially the gold emblems on the exterior. Is it Royal Ruby? And how do you get the gold emblems.. as accessories or custom ordered? My dealer told me they take the originals off and gold plate them, is that what you did?

I just took some pics of mine and will try to post when I can convert the photos to digital.
  • Options
    I have a sunroof with the wind deflector and haven't heard any exaggerated wind noise. With the sunroof open all is fairly quiet and sounds of the surrounding traffic is the only objections I hear. With the sunroof closed I do not hear any unusual sound.
  • Options
    The gold emblems are options on many cars today. Toyota started it but you can get them on Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and many others. The dealer can do it or it can come from the factory. They do just gold plate the original ones. It normally costs about $400 at Infiniti but I got them for $100 in my deal.
  • Options
    ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    NEW QX4 OWNER
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A LOWERING KIT
    AVAILABLE FOR THE QX4? MY WIFE IS A SHORTIE
    AND IS FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO EXIT OVER THE
    RUNNING BOARDS.
  • Options
    Why would anyone buy an SUV and then want to lower it? My wife is 4'10" and she loves the QX4. She likes how high she sits up when driving and being able to look down on the road. She also feels more protected. If you do find a way to lower it, you could scrape it often on the concrete when entering and exiting parking lots.
  • Options
    That would have been good to notice when buying the QX4! The PF and QX4 have to be among the easiest to get into mid size SUV's ...
  • Options
    You might want to start browsing the Pathfinder forum, since the Path and QX4 are very much the same SUV. I would suspect that Path owners do a lot of modications to their SUV's, although I would think most try to raise the truck rather than lower.
  • Options
    qx4owner1qx4owner1 Member Posts: 12
    Did anybody install wooden trim package by them selves. I want to buy it on the web (it costs $235), but I am not sure if it is easy to install?
  • Options
    What wood trim?
  • Options
    the dealer wanted $550 for it but I have ordered it on the web ($290). Currently waiting to recieve it.
  • Options
    Please clue me in further about the wood trim. I thought all QX4's come standard with simulated wood trim on the dash and center console. I have what is called bird's eye maple and I'm trying to figure out what additional wood trim is being talked about.

Where on the web is it located to purchase?
  • Options
    needed is already on every QX4 sold. I would not add any more because I think it would really take class away from the vehicle. Too much just junks it up. They put just the right amount on now.
  • Options
    I agree that the simulated wood trim provides the right balance with the leather and other dash components...But I still don't know what wood trim package qxowner1 says was bought over the web. Where would it fit, the only place I could think of is around the instrument cluster or around the center of the dash where the radio/Navi unit is in place.
  • Options
    I've read on boards for other SUV's there is a company called Zaino that makes several wax products for superior looking finishes. Has anyone used these products with better results than what you can find in the stores?

From what i've read everyone raves about the selection of products for different types of applications.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Zaino has a cult-like following, as evidenced by 4,000+ posts in the Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) discussion. Enjoy :-)

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    All QX4's come standard with simulated wood? I think 02 brochure says it's genuine bird eye wood. But on 01 window sticker I remember it says "wood tone"... which I thinks refers to simulated wood. My friend's 01 QX4's wood looks just like my 02's. It's confusing... One way to check is to see a few QX4's on the same piece, say left front door switch surrounding wood. If all have the same "pattern" then I think it's simulated. Real wood should be "random"...
  • Options
    I have bought it at http://www.exoticwooddash.com/infiniti.htm

I am waiting to receive it today. I dealership I was offered same package for much more money, so i found it on the web. They have a picture on that web page were you could see what this package does to your car. I have seen it before I it looks much batter in real life.
  • Options
    Maybe most QX4 owners don't notice/care. When I open front doors and listen closely I can hear a hollow sound. Sit inside and close front doors I can hear it too. Driving at 60 mph or so I can hear it a little sometimes. I guess it's the resonance. Did this: take B-pillar trim partially off and spray foam (from Home Depot) inside the rectangular hole that the plastic trim piece goes in. Let it expand. No help at all. Maybe that hole does not connect to the hollow area. Next: stick one piece of refrigerater magnet on B-pillar, and hollow sound is gone. Probably will do: use some decoration stuff and stick it there.
    Call me crazy.