Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The gas pedal is so touchy it is hard to avoid a jack-rabbit start. Is this typical of the X4 and can it be adjusted? I improve my averages if I drive in stop-and-go traffic, but I have to concentrate on barely touching the pedal.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My 02 QX4 gas pedal is not touchy, neither the one I test drove at the dealership, nor the 01 QX4 of my friend's. Maybe it's a particular situation. The only thing I could think of adjusting is the throttle cable, but I doubt it'll solve the "touchy" problem. Adjust it loose, it could just delay the "touchy" point, meaning still touchy. Could it be the padel pivot needing lubrication or...?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I think it's referred to as throttle tip-in. Manufacturers can change the amount (electronically, or using cams on the throttle linkage), with the purpose of influencing perceived acceleration from a stop. I know that, compared to other vehicles I had owned, my 2001 PF LE seemed a bit aggressive on the throttle tip-in, but I quickly adjusted to it. It is nothing compared to the tip-in on my dad's 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee...that thing is downright jumpy on acceleration (although the torque of a V8 is also a factor)!
  • barabankibarabanki Member Posts: 4
    Sir, how much did you pay for your Qx4... ? You wrote out of the door was 2K below invoice. I am looking at 2 wheel drive Qx4. The invoice on it about 31 something including sunroof. Can you post your figures please, I would highly appreciate it.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    QX4's are going for as much as $7,500 below MSRP at some dealers. The base 4x4 model stickers around $37k so you could conceivably get one for under $30k. Not a bad deal considering the fact that $29.5k is about what I paid for my '01 Pathfinder LE that had an MSRP a little shy of $35k. And since you want 2WD, it would be even less $.
  • megawatt1megawatt1 Member Posts: 16
    Today I put a deposit down on a 02 QX4, just wondering - reading Edmund's review indicates cramped rear seat leg room, just how bad is it?
    I did notice the sensitive throttle during the test drive, it seemed to be less noticeable when the 4 wheel drive selector was in 2 wheel drive.
    What position should the switch be in for normal driving?
    Thanks -
    Ralph
    I'm 5'8" tall and I don't feel cramped sitting back there, although the leg room is less than my RX300. To me it's not the rear seat, it's the small rear door opening that makes getting in and out a little difficult.

Usually I set it at 2WD. When it's raining I set it at AUTO. Never used the other two modes yet.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    jiamin's comments are good ones...Just tilt the rear seats back and the rear room feels better...The 4WD works nicely on some backroads and in some snow situations...Haven't needed to use 4WDLow to climb any walls...
    The best offer was for $2999.99 (honest) at a mid cities dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Because most of them were black (one silver) and most were 4X4, we had to pass and go to another dealer. I passed up the best deal. Another dealer had 26 of them and the color my wife wanted. Here goes: price was $32,399, excluding taxes, etc.
    But here is some good news for those who have not bought yet. This week's Automotive News says that the customer incentive for the 2003 QX4 is now $3,250. That's an additional THOUSAND from when I bought. I hope this helps, barabanki and goose 1207.
    The rear seat isn't that bad like Jack44 and jiamin said. The additional cargo room makes up for it. The 85 cubes w/ the rear seats folded is 2nd best-in-class --comes in real handy for those Home Depot runs.

I leave the 4WD switch at auto all the time, except in the winter when I am climbing up my steep driveway in which case I use 4HI and if that's no go, 4LOW usually does the trick unless it's all ice.
  • megawatt1megawatt1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for your help,
    HATE the car buying process!
    With goose 1207 and jiamin mentioning which mode they drive in, it might be a good time to review it for new folks, note that they couldn't go back thru the thread and find out...So...

2WD unless it's raining or beginning to snow going up into the mountains then 4AUTO...4 WD when I go off in backroads that are dirt or gravel...

I keep it 2WD because there's no reason to have the computer always trying to figure out which wheels to drive...Turning on and off at slightest changes...

just my .02
    I know very little about those things. Is QX4's AUTO the same as RX300's AWD? What are QX4's 4HI and 4LO ? Just a guess: 4HI uses highe gears, similar to RX300's "snow" mode that starts from 2nd gear to avoid tire spinning; 4LO uses low gear(s) and will not shift up, to provide maximum torque?

I need to learn those. Appreciate any info.
  • mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    Hi guys,

I am in a big dilemma. I am looking at two vehicles here a 02'PF LE and a 01 QX4. Both have the same features, colors an options. Silver on black leather, heated seats. PF has memory seats in addition. PF has 9000 miles and the negotiated price is $24,000. QX4 is from Carmax, it has 26000 miles and the price is $26,400. I can't decide which one to go for. I have done a lot of research on these vehicles(atleast I think I have) and like both of them. The 60,000 mile warranty and better customer service are making me think more about QX4 and at the same time I see absolutely no fault with the PF either.

Please help me out and share your thoughts. Its getting really hard to decide, I'd really appreciate your help and comments.

Thanks,
    Mahipal
    Carmax treated me very well when buying a car for my daughter. Plus, you have three days to return the car. I did that because my daughter couldn't adjust to manual trans. There were no fees or hidden charges for switching to another vehicle.
    I would go for the QX4 because of the TLC that Infiniti dealers lavish on their customers. At least that's their reputation and my experience.
  • itchingitching Member Posts: 12
    on april 2nd picked up a demo 2003 QX4 with brush guards,wood pkg,real paint pinstripe and chrome rims.truck has 5,200.mi.paid 35,000.w/tax m.v. everything bought it at north shore infiniti on long island.dealer gave me the same price on any brand new 0 mi. QX4 in which he had 5 others on lot without the 4 extras i got.love my truck and good luck to all seems like deals are getting even better!
  • itchingitching Member Posts: 12
    also had a choice of 3 year 0.9% or 5 year 3.9%.
    The Q offers a remote hatch release on the driver's side door. The PF doesn't. If the Q is a 4x4 as opposed to the RWD model, it probably has heated seats as well (front & rear). PF only has front heated (optional). The Q also has xenon HID headlights but IMO, I don't think they're that necessary --I have them on our BMW 7 series and not on the PF and the PF seems to light up the road better, even in the rain w/ fogs on in both cars. Maybe it's the height advantage of the PF?

Also, the Q is a heavier vehicle w/ the body cladding on the sides.

So if an additional $2,400 is worth it for you to get those additional features including the longer warranty, then go with the Q. Otherwise, save your $ and get the PF. The warranty wasn't really a consideration for me since the facts say that this is a top quality chassis in this class so I figured that I probably wouldn't even have to get any warranty work performed to a minimum of 6 yrs/60k miles.

PS - The Q also has a power antenna. Also, assuming the '02 PF is an LE, they both have the same size 17" wheels.
    The RX has a viscous center differential meaning it's similiar to a Subaru, ie, AWD --power goes from the wheels that slip to the ones that grip. This is similiar to the Q's AUTO mode.

The snow mode is independent of AWD/4WD/2WD. It just starts the car's automatic transmission off in a higher gear, like you said.

The RX lacks the 4HI and 4LO; it is only AWD. The Q is AWD (Auto mode) and 4WD (4HI and 4LO). 4WD locks the front and rear differentials via a transfer case so that all the tires are spinning at the same rate/speed. 4LO is a lower gear in the transfer case that provides maximum torque at low speeds, hence it's ability to pull the vehicle up a steep slippery hill.

The Q can tow up to 5,000lbs whereas the RX would be less (3,500lbs?). This is because the RX is car-based (Toyota Highlander a la Camry platform) whereas the Q has a monoframe which gives you the best of both worlds --towing capability as well as a car-like ride.
    for the 2wd, 4HI, AWD info.
  • buddy36buddy36 Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought an used 2002 QX4 and am very happy with it. I love the heated seats in particular as they really heat up quick and comfortable.

There are two things which I hope someone here in this Board can help me out. Thanks.

1) I notice that one piece of a rubber insert at the
           driver side adjacent to the sunroof in the
           roof rack is missing. I'm not sure what the
           rubber insert is used for. Is it designed
           to hold tight the rack, stop water in the rack or to reduce noise?
           Do I have to go back to the dealer to get a
           replacement?

(2) I read through the manual and checked all
           the instruments but couldn't find any
           where inside the QX4 displaying the
           interior temperature. There
           are only two displays to show the outside
           temperature and the desired temperature
           setting inside the vehicle. I wonder why
           Infiniti does not include this simple but
           very useful feature in this SUV.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Monoframe is no different than a UNIBODY. It's all the same with different names made up by manufacturers.
    I found http://www.mcminnolds.com/Pathfinder.html describes they are different:

"2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE & LE
       SUVs with car-like comfort...
           Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 are the only SUVs that
           offer MonoFrame construction which combines
           the best elements of (unibody) and (body-on-frame)"
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    All unibodies have reinforcements, such as side rails and crossmembers. My old Honda CRV had C-shaped side rails running from front to rear along with a few crossmembers. Technically, you can say that my CRV is a MONOFRAME (unibody + reinforcements similar to body-on-frame). Nissan is just trying to fool the average customer.

Take a look under your QX4...and then compare it to a CRV. I am sure the QX4 has a stronger unibody, but the DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION are the same.

Jeeps call their design, "UNIFRAME". Guess what, it's the same as a unibody. Same as a Monoframe.

The NISSAN website link you gave is true in one aspect: it is the ONLY SUV with the NAME of it's unibody design, "Monoframe". Jeeps are the ONLY SUVs with a UNIFRAME design.

Same thing, just different way of saying it. All unibodies. There is no difference.
  • meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone share what kind of pricing they are getting on new 2003 QX4's? Thanks!!
  • mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    Hi, its me again. Both the vehicles that I was looking(01 QX4 and 02 PF) are sold. I am finding it really difficult to find a good 01 or later QX4. I would like to get your opinions on a 00 QX4. I know there has been a major power boost and othber cosmetic changes in 01 model but how big are these changes? Is anybody buying any QX4s prior to 2001? Are they really bad whebn compared to the new ones? I found one for about 20k with 33,000 miles in Silver color. I would like to know if I'll regret later if I buy this one. I really want your expert opinions ont hsi subject.

Thanks,
    Mahipal
    One word...Yes... on your possible regrets...Look harder, it will be worth it to find a 2001 or newer...
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    Can anyone tell me where I find the paint code for my QX4? It is silver sage and I think the dealer gave me the gold color touch up paint. Thanks,

Rick
    I think paint code can be found under the hood, on the passenger side of the firewall. For example my 02 QX4 is Brilliant Silver, and its code is KY0.
    Be patient and get a 2001 or newer. It is definitely worth the wait over getting a 2000 or older. Currently there is a '01 QX4 on eBay for $21k with 30k miles --still under factory warranty. Just make sure its a 4x4 if that is what you want.
  • mike3720mike3720 Member Posts: 17
    I bought my new QX4 yesterday in Chattanooga Tn. from Prebul. I paid $30,690 for a new 2003 2-wheel drive. I couldn't believe the deal we got, my wife is bouncing off walls she's so happy!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I bought a Jeep from Prebul. Back in, oh, 1974 or so :-). Enjoy the ride (and the quakes!)

Steve, Host
    Hey guys, now is the time to buy. The dealer (Prebul) made my deal easy and i was treated like a King, gee whizz i'm just an ol country boy from Alabama, but i'm styling!!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Dealers here in NYC are advertising $10,000 off MSRP on brand new QX4s.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ssaraswassaraswa Member Posts: 3
    Can you please share with us that which dealers in NewYork are offering QX4 at 10000 below MSRP .
    I am looking to purchase one and the best deal I got so far was 33,500 (for 4 * 4) on road from a dealer in Delaware.
    Appreciate your input on this
    I'll check the Friday ads out in the Daily News and post back.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I've been told by my wife i should set the record straight. She Bought The QX4, It's Her's!!! So i'm back to driving my Chevrolet pick-up truck, gee whizz...

All kidding aside, it's a great SUV, we drove several and this was her chose...
    Mike...All you have to do is look back at all the posts, wives just love the QX4...Present wife included...Even preferring the QX4 to the new FX45...With that said, I wonder how the sales will be?...
    I didn't like it or i should say she didn't like the FX45. I think Infinity missed the boat on that one, but you never know what the public will buy.
    I checked the Daily News and The NY Post today for the ads featuring $10,000 off MSRP on new '03 QX4s, but it was not running this week. It has been in the paper for the past few weeks though. Sorry to let you down.

• ericexpyericexpy Member Posts: 4
    I have a USA version of the 2003 QX4, and I want to put daytime running lights on it using the high beams without affecting the functionality of the HID or automatic headlight control.

Has anyone been able to do this? Thanks for any ideas.
  • suvfreak1suvfreak1 Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone try to remove those running boards on the sides of a QX4 2001 and above??? Does it look good after removal? I find them to be a nuisance especially during wet season. My pants scrape them off every time I step down. Thanks for the reply in advance. Cheers
    Yes at the beginning I found it always soil my pants. Now I sometimes use it the way it's designed for getting in and out: step on it and bend myself a little. Not so easy and comfortable but it won't soil my pants any more.
  • jill27jill27 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at 2003 QX4 in southern California. Has anyone purchased one lately? what did you have to pay for one with all the options and leather? I know their discounted but I'm not sure how much they are willing to give and dont want to make them angry from the getgo??
    One more important question for any owners of the 2002 or 2003 Qx4's. It has a realitivly narrow wheel base 106. verses other like Mercedes with 111. or Durango 116. 4 runner 109.8, 106 is quit a bit narrower, any one have problems in wind, rain, or???
    I'm looking at 2003 QX4 in southern California. Has anyone purchased one lately? what did you have to pay for one with all the options and leather? I know their discounted but I'm not sure how much they are willing to give and dont want to make them angry from the getgo??
    One more important question for any owners of the 2002 or 2003 Qx4's. It has a realitivly narrow wheel base 106. verses other like Mercedes with 111. or Durango 116. 4 runner 109.8, 106 is quit a bit narrower, any one have problems in wind, rain, or???
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/rollover/fullWebd.html

The Durango does have a better rating but the 4Runner is worse. Look at how low the Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Liberty ratings are. The Pathfinder is also lower than the QX4. That must be because the QX4 is heavier. Just remember that wheelbase is not the only factor. Center of gravity and its distance from the ground is a very critical factor.
    My wife bought a new 2003 QX4 less than 2 weeks ago. A 2 wheel drive , leather, power sunroof and rear wind deflector. List price was $36,455, we gave $30,655 out the door. We bought at Prebul in Chattanooga Tn.
    My sister has a 1999 Durango she bought new, she is now on her third motor at 70,000 miles...All the motors did the same thing, lost oil pressure and burned the bearings...She had done a little research on the net. and she's not the only one having that problem...
    Mike 3720,
    Thank you for the information, wow , you got a great price. I hope I can come close to that price in California.
    Bigorange30
    Thank You also for your feedback, Wish me luck I'm making an offer on a 2003 QX4 this afternoon.
    Do you know if the body style or color choice has changed sense 2001 on the QX4? I saw a 2001 on the road yesterday and loved the light rich beige color, I hope that is the same color of the 2003 on the lot, sometime its hard to really see the car unless your driving next to it.....