Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding low mileage used Suburu Foresters

2»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Sorry, there should be a resivoir on top of the engine that should be full. The cap should not be caked with anything either. :)

-mike
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    You can find them -- I just saw your message, so it's probably too late. I have a 2006 Forester X, with just over 13,000 miles. I would really prefer to go back to a Jeep. I am in Dayton, OH, and I am thinking of putting it up for sale. Do you think it will be difficult to sell? It's in good to above average condition and has been serviced regularly.
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    You can get a good price for that. Very good. Check out local dealers and see what they are doing for roughly equivalent (probably more mileage)and come in at what they are asking with less miles and you will be in like Flint. Also check out the value here at Edmunds for used that will give you your range.

The big problem with used Suby's is that you can get new for not a whole lot more than used and with 4.9 APR, it can get difficult to sell as Suby's hold their value. YOu do have a lot of warranty left though and that is very good.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Auto or manual?

Those are about $19k new, so yours would probably be $17k retail at a dealer. I bet you can get $16k for it, perhaps more if it is an auto.
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    Yes, it's an auto. I wanted to set the price a little over $17,000.

I'm really thinking of putting up a few For Sale ads and maybe putting it on some car selling web sites.

Is there a forum here about selling your own car? I'm concerned about legal (test drive questions) and financial issues -- like do you take care of the sale at a bank -- I don't want someone to try to give me a check and it would turn out to be fake, etc. Years ago I sold a Jeep I had, and we did the transaction at his credit union, which worked out fine.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    With auto maybe ask $17,500 and be prepared to haggle down to $16,999. I think you'll get it fairly quickly.

The catch is it's a bit of money and probably will require a loan. That may work against you.

The Jeep dealer is gonna low-ball you on trade, maybe $15k. You can ask in the Real-world Trade-in values thread right here on Edmunds.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion might be helpful: Questions about Private Sale Transactions. And here's a link to the discussion juice mentioned: Real-World Trade-In Values.

You may want to cruise the list of all the Smart Shopper discussions. There may be others you'll find helpful as well. :)
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    My wife and I just don't put a lot of mileage on vehicles anymore. My wife does about 9K a year, and I do about 6K to 7K split between my 2 personal vehicles. I need 2 vehicles like a hole in the head, but can never figure out which one I don't want/need so I stay with 2.

My wife's 05 LLBean Forester has about 27K on it at the moment, my 06 Forester Premium has 5K, and my 03 Tundra has 13K. When I was still working folks used to put their orders in for our cars ahead of time because they know I am a maintenance fanatic, including Mobil 1. We almost never traded in a vehicle, but now that I am early-retired I have lost my audience.

When my wife sold her 01 Premium Forester to buy her Bean the dealer wanted it very much, said it was the first used car that they had seen that they wouldn't have to do a thing to it, just drive it out front and put it into the row. She sold it to my sister-in-law, who still has it and loves it, to the dealer's chagrin. When I traded my 02 Forester L for my 06 it had 17K on it, and the dealer REALLY wanted it, so I made them happy. :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.