Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• thanks for the info
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Steve:

I have a 1996 LR workshop manual that I'd like to give to someone for free (Since I now own an '01). Can I give this away on the forum, or would a post like that be considered off-topic?

Thx, wasko
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    I don't think you can do that here, Wasco - next thing you know this discussion will fill up with guys trying to give their entire Discos away!

(is that your correct address I get when I click on your user name to get your profile, btw?).

;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    You know those workshop manuals are so thick, they make great jackstands too!!

:)
  • If anyone is concerned how long a Disco will last my dad has had a 96, 99 and now an '02 and he puts about 150K on them in 2.5-3 years. The 96 was purchased by a woman in CO. and she emails every now and then. It currently has well over 200K on the factory trans and motor. The only out of warranty issue for the '99 was an alternator which of course was dealer only and $600 installed. Dad is a Mobil 1 freak and his Rovers get it from dif to dif.

We are in GA and the dealers in Atl have a protected territory racket going (they all may be that way) and they don't like to deal on new Rovers, so dad buys them out of state for a much better deal. The Atl dealers hate that especially when it comes to getting warranty work done, but their service has gotten so bad he uses that dealer out of state for non-critical warranty repairs and this is feasible because he travels all the time anyway.

While these aren't the fastest or most ergonomic machines they are built like a tank for less the $40K. I even had to swallow my pride when he pulled my 2wd 02 powerstroke and a trailer full of firewood up a steep hill in his rain soaked back yard and he didn't even lock the diffs!

If Rover would ever bring their diesel over here I would buy one in a second.
    Yeah, you've got that right. A friend of mine, Mike Green at West Coast British, said a year ago that he had over 650,000 miles on his '96 at that time. He had just rebuilt his friend's 4Runner (108k miles) and thought "what the heck" and did his personal Disco too. He found it was still basically within tolerances.

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Redline, Amsoil... any of the synthetics will do good things for your running gear.

Welcome! And let me know when the diesels arrive.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Congratulations on your new baby. It was Built on 1-30-97. As far as the 2002 cupholders go, they will fit all Discovereys and there are kits to do this. Part numbers are STC53156SUC (Bahama Beige) and STC53156LPW (Smokestone Grey). Unfortunately, due to the UK not realizing how important cupholders are to the US market, the Bahama Beige is on an extended back order. The Grey is available.
  • Thanks to all of you who responded to my post....

I have a few small rust spots on my black brush bar, being the vain woman that I am I would like to fix them.

Can anyone suggest a rust remover (if there is such a thing) or paint that might help fix this or at least cover it up?
    Look for a product called POR-15. I believe that's right. It's supposed to stop the oxidation, and it leaves it a nice black color too. I think...
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    Does he have to go out of state, or are the dealers more competitive in Macon...better yet, ARE there any dealers in Macon???...
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Bob, other old-timers (to this board),

I saw the lucrative side-button called "Future Vehicles" on the left side of the townhall screen and clicked on through. I was out perusing the new models for 2003 and noticed that Isuzu was introducing an SUV to replace the Trooper.

Bob, do you remember some guy named Jimmy DelRay posting in this forum in 98/99 talking about the merits of the Trooper over the Disco?

Funny thing is, the Trooper is now end of life, while the Disco continues on in grand tradition. Sure there has been changes from the DI to the DII, but the spirit, soul, and brand are still intact. Same can't be said for much of the competition out there!

Lets hope Ford does the right thing and keeps the Disco torch shining bright for at least another decade. Let's hope the upcoming changes planned for the new Disco don't make the vehicle lose its unique characteristics, charm, and British quirkiness! And lets keep our fingers crossed that Ford keeps their hands out of the American Explorer parts bin!

Cheers, wasko
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    I believe the replacement for the Trooper is the Ascender, which is just a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer...

Bob
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    And, in truth, it is not a Trooper "replacement," just a new model that Isuzu will be offereing in the states INSTEAD of the Trooper. The Trooper will live on outside of the US and Canada, but it is done here.

After the CR tippytest, the Trooper has been nothing but a thorn in Isuzu's side, despite being an otherwise excellent truck.

The newer Troopers are god trucks, but i don't think any rational 4x4 fan would think they were better OFF-ROAD then a Disco.
  • I have been driving a new Range Rover all weekend (instead of my Discovery Series II). Whilst undoubtedly a very accomplished and superbly put together motor car, I can honestly say the Discovery is a better drive. The Range Rover simply doesn't like corners and is a yacht at sea compared to the Discovery. ACE is no doubt the main reason for this difference. I can hustle the Discovery through corners at speeds that would have most saloon cars squealing their tyres and drifting into the green stuff. The Range Rover doesn't have ACE for some reason (anyone know why?) and as such it is real bouncy castle stuff. And the Range Rover costs almost twice the Discovery !
    You mean the completetly redesignd, 2003 "new" Range Rover?
  • Yes I am refering to the current Range Rover model, launched here (UK) earlier this year. I suspect the reason ACE isn't an option is that the Range Rover no longer has a ladder rail chassis. I suspect ACE needs the suspension set up that such a chassis allows. It was worrying getting complaints from rear seat paasengers in the Range Rover who felt sea sick after a few miles on twisty country lanes. I haven't had a complaint like that since I replaced the Series I disco with a Series II.
    I wonder if the UK version is suspended differently. EVERY report here int eh US says the new Rangie is absolutely terrific on road and off.

I covet them. :-)
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    I've driven both the 2003 Range Rover and the 2002 Discovery (haven't had the opportunity to drive an 03 Discovery yet). The differences are minimal at best, but then again I don't drive top heavy SUV's like they were sports cars. I found the 03 Range Rover far superior in ride quality over both the 4.0-4.6 Range Rover and the Discovery. Steering feel with the rack and pinion was also much more precise than the Discovery. ACE does reduce body roll, but once the 03 Range Rover takes its initial set, it handles curves extremely well.
    Yep yep yep, I remember Jimmy. How about "TEST"?! I wonder whatever became of that poor misguided soul.

Speaking of trucks not holding up, I bought my DI early on in '97. Around the same time my sister in law bought a Ford Exploder and my other sister in law did the same (green vs. white). Now, I'm about the sign the last payment check on my Disco and in the same period, SIL #1 has had the Exploder, another Exploder (go figure), a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and now a Durango. SIL #2 had the white Exploder ("Moby"), a Jeep GC (think they were talking to each other?) and now a Ford Escape.

I'm seeing huge amounts of money changing hands, and they both still have 5 years of payments left, trying to find something with some offroad ability, and that will "last". They both wondered at my truck costing $5-10k more than theirs on original purchase... but I've had to buy ONE truck, not lose money on 2 or 3 trade-ins.

And besides that they still call me to pull them out when they bury their 4WDs. Gotta love it.
  • I am in the market of buying an midsize SUV, does anyone know why does the Discovery depreciate so much, so quick when the car is suppossed to be that good and specailly when compared to the depreciation rates of the other makers such as BMW, LEXUS and Mercedes?