Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• alattalatt Posts: 11
    I have OEM 16" Alloy Wheel, 5 Spoke rim tires. What should be the correct tire pressure for front and rear wheels?
    Thanks.
  • I have just come back from test driving a discoII 2002 with 26000kms on it. When I asked the dealer about the reliability of this model he hedged.
    Can anyone tell me about the 2002 models? Is there anything I should be wary of? I really liked the truck and would love to make an offer. I will be using it for highway driving and off road in muddy conditions.

thanks!
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The 2003 and 2004 S versions of the Discovery do have the 7 seat package as a factory option. It is not necessary to buy an SE or HSE to get it.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    The factory calls for 28 front and 38 rear, I believe. Your driver side doorjamb should list that with recommended tire sizes.

As for DII reliability, I would trust that Disco over any other SUV you could buy. You may have the odd minor annoyance but the hard parts (drivetrain, chassis, suspension, etc.) are built to last. Almost every other truck or SUV in my personal experience has driveline trouble, sooner rather than later. Those are EXPENSIVE problems, and you just won't have those with a Rover.

You'll find the old stories about Rover unreliability are, 99% of the time, just that... stories. See if the salesman or service manager can pull up the vehicle's service history by VIN. They have the capability and it will reveal that specific truck's life until now.

Cheers!
    Still want some of the white stuff? We're at -10F here in town, windchill about -25. Just a little north of here (I can see it out my window) it's -54F with 112mph winds. At 18,000 elevation. Just a tad nippy.

;)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    So I heard Nanuq. Guess you'll have to bike faster to stay warm :-). Bogus has 17 inches so there's hope for us too!

I don't remember ever seeing such a wide disparity in recommended tire pressures between front and rear tires as there is for that Disco. 10 pounds seems like a big difference.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

I agree, and it sure feels funny to drive one with the tires set like that. I kept mine like that per recommendation for the first, oh, 3 days I owned it. I suppose it minimizes the tendency for the front tires to stick in an emergency maneuver and potentially roll the truck... sometimes understeer can be your friend.

I went ahead and set my tires at 34 all around, then 38 all around, and got better mileage and never saw any adverse reactions. But I also don't drive the beast like an Indy car either.

Now I'm running Nokian tyres (I know it's silly, but I am required to spell it like that... it was part of the paperwork when I bought them) and I keep them inflated to 55psi. The top rating is 85psi and they work great right where they are.

Going camping this weekend! Wahoo!!!
  • I just had some Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-22 XL size 255/55/18's installed on my '01 Disco II. They are very supple tires and handle quite well considering the softer silica compound meant to help with ice and snow. Very nice ride compared to the harsh Goodyear Wranglers. I will keep all posted regarding snow/ice maneuverablity after it snows this weekend. I hope they are as good as the reviews say they are. Especially for the $. I almost got the Pirelli S/T's but they got poorer reviews for snow traction which is very important to me. Nokians can't be obtained in the 18" sizes.:( Later.
  • alattalatt Posts: 11
    Thanks Nanuq. You have been a great help and others too for answering questions from Disco newbie. If I keep front 34 and rear 38 psi, I should not have a problem? And how often should I rotate my tires?
    The factory recommends (at least for the DI) rotating front to back on the same side every 5k miles. That's also a good time to check your brake pads! If you have a fullsize spare then you can put it into the rotation too and extend all the tires' lives.

The factory does a lot of testing to come up with their inflation numbers. You'll be safe with what they publish, but in my humble opinion you'd be fine at 34/38 too. A good check is to go for a nice fast drive then jump out and feel your tires. If they feel hot then chances are they're flexing too much and are underinflated. You'll also start to see wear patterns at the tread edges and not in the middle. Conversely you'll see wear in the middle and not at the edges (and they'll be nice and cool) if they're overinflated.

Hope this helps!
  • kbowenkbowen Posts: 58
    My son has a 2002 Freelander with 16K miles on it. While his wife was driving, she suddenly heard a roaring metallic noise. She took it to Land Rover and they told her the brake pads were so badly worn that they had "ate" into the rotors; that both the front rotors and brake pads had to be replaced at a cost of $600.00 plus. She is adamant that the pads never made any type of squeaking noise to indicate they were low; that the noise came on suddenly. Also 16K seems just a little premature for total pad/rotor failure. My 2001 DII has 37K and the pads are only 1/2 worn. I believe I read somewhere that there is an issue with defective rotors on some Land Rover products. Do you, or any of the other readers, have any info or suggestions?
    I believe her... when my pads go, they just GO with no warning. I have had the same thing happen (sheepishly admitting not watching my pads close enough here). You hit the brakes and think HOLY SMOKES WHAT IS THAT?!! Sometimes though, it's just a little gravel in the caliper. Try reversing and it comes right out.

From wearing my pads to a nubbin, I've wound up with some concentric grooves in the rotors. I just bought new pads, put 'em in, bled the brakes, and drove it. I let the pads take a good long time to "bed in" to match the contours of the small grooves, and in a couple days my brakes were good as new. The grooves polished right up to a high gloss.

If the grooves are pretty bad, I'd say yeah... replace the rotors. But if they're minor I'd drive it. But do pay attention to the minimum rotor thickness. You do NOT want a rotor to come apart while you're driving.

I bet your son gets half the pad life that you do for good reason. *wink* My pads last about 15-18k miles and I drive pretty reasonably.

I'm still on my original rotors at 84k miles... I haven't heard of overly soft or flawed rotors.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    I have a 2003 Disco. I want to get a set of chains for my truck. Can someone tell me if Land Rover requires chains to meet the SAE CLASS "S" for restricted clearance requirements? I see two versions available 4.5MM and 3.8MM "S".
    http://www.tirechain.com/P255-55R-18.htm
    Kevin
  • I have actually removed the jump seats in my '03 Disco. I like the extra room in the back without the "storage bins" that normally takes their place. If you purchase some rear cargo nets, you can place a cooler or other misc items nicely in the holes. Cosmetically it looks fine – when you remove the seats, there is a ‘H’ shape hole in the rear panels where the seats are suppose to latch up to. If it really bothers me, I might place a piece of black leather over it.

Installing jump seats, really isn’t that bad either. LR actually has instructions on the RAVE CD on how to install them. The main items needed are the two seats, rear panels, and the mounting brackets onto the floor. You should be able to make the conversion in less than a day. If you purchase the items thru LR you will pay a few thousand dollars but I have seen these for sell on ebay on discoweb.org for $1000 or so.

Hope this helps.
  • I am driving a 2000 dII and am looking at towing a light trailer. I have come across 2 very different prices. I can spend $220 for the LR package or shell out $65 for a trailer shop to do the work.. Is there truly this much of a difference? Can someone talk me out the trailer shop ($65) deal? Other than, " you pay for what you get"... what is there? Do I need to worry about compatibility etc?
  • Thank you cwdavis4 regarding DiscoII jump sets.

It sounds like removing them is actually not too difficult and nets a good amount of storage space. I can then not worry about excluding seven-seaters when I look at used DIIs.

Thank you.
  • I have towed cars and trailers with my old Disco I for over 3,000 miles and the Disco never skipped a beat. I was pretty darn close to the 5,500 lb. limit for high range towing too and it handled the mountains of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia without a hitch - pun intended ;-)

I used the dealer kit for my hitch but you can really go with the $65 shop special. The Rover wiring kit attempts to translate the bizarre European wiring methodology into US wiring and then the dealer had to add a non-Rover adapter to convert from the Euro converted line to the U-Haul standard (yup, pretty unusual). Bottom line was that the wiring looked like Rube Goldberg did it even when I had the Rover dealer install it.

Just make sure your shop supplied hitch has the correct drop so that your trailer rides on an even keel and make sure the shop tightens the ball with a torque wrench to the recommended torque. Don’t want that trailer flying away!

Have fun.
  • Hey Paul, I would definitely not rule out any D2 7 seaters because of the extra seats. If fact, the exact color / options combo that I wanted only came in a HSE7 model. Since the LR dealership couldn't find a non-7 model, I made them not charge me for the price difference or I wasn’t going to get the Disco.

If you feel uncomfortable removing the seats, tell the dealership that they will have to remove them for free as well. Can you them put them in your garage for future use or sell them for $1K or so.

Good luck.
  • I have a Disco II with the rear fog lights, and I have (2) questions:

1. what lights in the rear are supposed to come on? On mine the left side turn signal lite is lighted and on the right side the red light next to the turn signal is lighted?

2. Is this correct for the rear fog lights and has anyone ever used this option on there disco?

thanks for any help....
  • Okay so I have a 99 Disco II and I believe it has the SLS option. (it has the air springs on the back)

I will be towing my boat with this car and I was very intrigued to know that I can actually lower the rear suspension on this car.

My question is can that only be done with the remote or is there a way to do it similar to raising the back end with the switch on the dash ?

thanks again....
    On the DI there is a separate bulb for the fog lights. They only come on when you have your running lights on and hit the switch. On the DI they're behind a red lens and located just beneath the running/brake light pair.
    The rear foglamps should light the red lamps in the bumper.
    You can lower the rear suspension only by using the Remote. The dash switch will only raise it or return it to the standard ride height. The SLS system will also not operate if any of the doors are open.
  • Been looking for Disco's for a few months now. Being patient and taking my time, want a good one.
    I was wondering if Tincup or anyone could look into a vin number for me. It's a Canadian vehicle, not sure if that makes a difference?
    SALJY1244VA549326

This is an SD model that actually has the jump seats in the back?? Cloth seats. Does anyone here have cloth seats? If so are they any good for wear and tear and mud and sand etc. The vehicle has 110,000kms ( 70,000 miles?). They are asking $15,900 canadian so about $2 American :-)
  • So Tincup,

I guess mine are wired wrong since one of my turn signal lamps light up with the rear fog lights.

question: do you think I could pull out the light assemblys in the bumper and see if there are some erroneous connections?

I dont want to have the dealer fix this because it = $$$

any thoughts???
    The problem could be as simple as the wrong wire is plugged into the wrong lamp socket. When you turn on the turn signal on that side of the vehicle, does the red light blink? The harnesses plug into the removable sockets that hold the bulbs. It could be someone just put the sockets or wires in the wrong sides of the lamp.
    This looks like a pretty good vehicle, no major issues fixed under warranty. The cloth on the Discoverys seems to wear pretty well, you can see how well by looking at the condition of the vehicle you are looking at. 70,000 kms and 6 years will take it's toll if the covers aren't up to wear and tear.
  • Thank you very much for checking it out for me. Can you happen to tell if it was serviced for all the oil changes and tune ups that Land Rover recommends? Once again thanks for checking it out.
  • tbbtbb Posts: 5
    I see that a couple of members of this forum have access to a vehicles history through the VIN. Is this info available online? Do you have to be a dealer to get this info? I'm asking because I'm researching 02 and 03 disco's, I think I've found one that I like, it only has a 1000 miles, and I want to make sure it hasn't had a rough childhood. If anyone has any info, the VIN is SALTW164X3A823280. TIA

Trace