Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Will have no major changes, should be available end of summer, early fall
  • kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    Hi-

I read your entry re: octane requirements. I thought the reason LR wants the 90 or 92 octane was something to do with how the gas atomizes because the higher octane atomizes at a different rate than lower octane? Correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well could be, because I'm alternating between 89 and 92 octane every other tank, and as you know, gas prices are enough to piss off the pope.

Anyway, if I stick to the 89 octane until prices come down, will it "memorize" those specs like you mentioned, or is it close enough to 90 to be alright?

Thanks for your advice.

Kim
    I haven't noticed a significant difference in price between 89 and 92 octane gas in the DC area. But if you were to run every third or fourth tank at 92 octane it should be ok.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    the ECU will "memorize" other things as well, like driving preferences. I use "3" all the time instead of "D" and was told it would eventually "learn" that, my mileage would steady out and I'd have better performance to boot. So far so good.
  • 02discovery02discovery Posts: 47
    Thanks for the information regarding the separate evaporator in the Series II Discoveries. We will be buying the Discovery and will use this forum to keep everyone who might be interested, up to date on our personal experience with this beautiful but somewhat pricey vehicle.
    I have read in this forum that it is wise to purchase the vehicle from the dealer which will be used for service. Does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with either Land Rover Glen Cove, NY or Land Rover Woodbridge, New Jersey?

Thanks

Steve
  • jackickjackick Posts: 12
    Okay, tomorrow is the day- we might go pick up a 2000 Discovery II with ACE and the cold climate package, bright red in color, with 9000 dealer loaner miles. (The dealer has a really good rep, and is the only one in our state) Assuming the history is available since we are buying from a LR dealer, I need some reassurance! We previously leased a 98 GMC Jimmy for 3 years and had no problems whatsoever, no brake replacements, no leaks, no fires, no nothing. Of course, everyone on our block had the same truck and there was not that "pride of ownership" one might have with a LR. We do appreciate the styling, safety features and the off road capabilites for our winters. Since we are not typically off road drivers but live in one of the the worst winter climates in contiguous North America (guess!), we thought this might be a good choice for us for commuting to work 70 miles round trip. Any comments? I really don't want my heart broken with a bum vehicle... It's this or a Yukon, guys. Hit me with your best shot!
    A simple observation based on a couple of guesses:

Let us assume you live with a wonderful woman. Being the average woman, she annoys the @#$!* out of you once in awhile, but you love her dearly. After being together awhile you have come to adore some of her quirks; others you just sigh and live with. You can't IMAGINE being with a predictable, boring woman... it's the little (not BIG) surprises that you love about her. She catches you off guard once in awhile with a nice surprise. Sometimes you get scared by what she does but over the years it's the sum of all these things that endear her to you, and you wouldn't part with her for the world.

Pretty close? Now substitute the word "Rover" for "woman" and read it again.

There's your difference between a Rover and about anything else. Take the good with the bad, wear out a set of tools doing maintenance and enjoy many long years together.

Regards, -Bob
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Posts: 62
    The latest I read is that FORD will make the new 2003 or 2004 Disco II "Explorer based". GOD HELP US - better get your REAL Land Rover NOW while you still can.
    I'm sure there will be component sharing, as in the Jaguar X-type, which shares about 20% of it's parts with the Mondeo. But Ford did not buy Land Rover to make another Explorer, just as they didn't buy Jaguar and make an English Crown Victoria. There is too much value and tradition in the Land Rover Brand to cheapen it that way.
  • cmc123cmc123 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what changes will be done to the 2003 (not 2002) Discovery? If so, what will they be? Better horsepower? Better gas mileage? etc.

Thanks in advance,

cmc123
  • buroskyburosky Posts: 89
    I just got a '01 SE7 3 weeks ago. It's every bit what I expected it to be. I have a couple of observations though and wondering if they are normal or not. First is the brakes. No, it hasn't failed or anything. The only weird thing about it is a clicking sound I hear plus the pedal kind of depresses itself slightly almost every time I start the car. I asked the service advisor at the dealer and all he can tell me is that is caused by the ABS "resetting" itself. Secondly, I'm not sure how I can describe it in a better way but it seems that the engine is quite noisy. It seems that it takes a while for the engine's RPM to go down so you hear the engine purring quite a bit. Actually, even when in idle, it still sounds like it is at a higher RPM. I think at idle, mine is at about 750. Is there anyone who might have the same observation? Is this normal? I truly love the car. It's neither a mini-van wannabe (i.e. ML320) or a glorified pick-up truck (i.e. RX300). I can't wait to take it off-road to see what it can truly do. I would appreciate any feedback regarding my observations.
    I have very little experience with Series II so please take with a grain of salt...

I think my brakes ('96 Series I) "settle" a bit when I start it too, I'll have to check. I doubt there should be any clicking, from the pump or otherwise. The only click I hear is from the brake light activator switch.

When I start mine from cold, I am treated to the trademark "Enormous Sucking Sound". Various opinions exist, some say it's the engine running fast to preheat the cats... others say it's the A/C supplemental cooling fans. It's not a particularly fast idle, but WOW does she roar when cold! After a few hundred yards it stops and then she purrs as expected. Sound familiar?

FWIW my base idle is about 750rpm as well.

Regards, -Bob
  • jackickjackick Posts: 12
    Thanks, Bob, for your response... Incidentally, I am a woman, but I simply put "man" in the example you provided and it all made so much sense! So tomorrow is the big day- 8am, at the dealer. Here we go! You know, I was so concerned about all of the negative posts on this board complaining about this and that, but after touring through a couple Ford Explorer and GMC Yukon boards.... Yikes! Those people don't even like their dysfunctional vehicles. At least in this forum, there is a sense of pride behind the occasional bitching. Now let's hope my girl is a good one! (Incidentally, she will be named Big Red!) I'll keep you posted!

FYI: According to our dealer, the Ford influence shouldn't be apparent until '06 or so... Until then, enjoy!
    Will be a good thing. For years Land Rover has been an underfunded arm of the Rover Group. BMW helped some but they were too worried about trying to stop Rover Cars from hemorraging money to really concentrate on Land Rover. Ford has done wonders with Jaguar, look at their J.D. Powers scores. Ford did not spend over 2 billion dollars for Land Rover to tarnish the marque. Everyone at LRNA is excited to be part of Ford and look forward to upgraded product that retains the hallmark of Land Rover.
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little more comfortable now since it appears my observations were pretty much normal specially the roaring and purring part. I wonder what kind of feedback tincup47 can offer since he is from LRNA. Nothing better than getting info from the source.

Tincup47, would you be so kind to provide feedback for my posting? It's posting #491.
  • rj17rj17 Posts: 7
    Greeting to all.. It has been a while since I have last spoken to you, but I return with good news. I have purchased a 01-SE-7 with the works. I feel like a kid on Christmas day. Just a brief description of her.. she is white with beige interior, complete off road pkg,and rear air. I've only had "her" for 2 1/2 weeks.

My wife and I like many others were skiddish about the purchase of a rover. We looked at everything from ML down to Mit. Yes folks, everything !!! But there was something about that "rover" that kept bring us back. This is truly a unique vehicle. I have not had any problems with the truck, but I will keep you posted as to my adventure.

For those of you living in the S.F.bay area, there are 6 dealerships to choose from. All of which have good service, however my purchase was from Marin LR... great people.

To those of you who are out there reading this site and many others..."GO FOR IT". As for the engine.. there is plenty of go. This is a "truck" people, not a race car. 0-60 is not a factor... As for the fuel mileage.. the mileage does not compare to my "Honda". Yes, I said Honda, but we all knew that from the start.

Take care and I'll talk to you later..
  • poc322poc322 Posts: 22
    I own a 94 Land Rover Discovery with about 93000 miles on it and i'm considering buying a new vechile for i'm starting to have way too many problems with the disco. So i'm wondering if anyone else is having some of the same problems and what you did to correct them.
    First off my passenger door will not lock with the keyless entry system. I have to manually lock it. This has been a reaccuring problem since i bought the vechile 7 years ago, and the warranty on the work has expired since the last time they corrected the problem. In the past they used to re-ajust this and that to get it to work. Now they are telling me it will cost about $300 to replace a little box in the passenger door that has failed. A little to costly for me to do, along with the other repairs. The other problem is with the sunroofs. Apperantly the tracks are bad and need replacing. Another $275 repair. The front sunroof sticks when you try to open it so you have to push it a little to get it open, and then pull it a little to close it. They are also telling me that the rear sunroof needs the same repair so tack another 275 on. Also there is the problem of the ac controls not lighting up. I changed the bulb and that didn't work, and the service department told me that it was the electrical box that housed the light that was bad and it cost 350. Now the light is not too important, but would be nice to have.
    The two big problems are the gas tank which has a hair line fracture in it. Something i would of never thought could be possible on a land rover since they are supposed to be built to last. So i'm in the process of trying to work something out with land rover north america, but for the most part they have been avoiding me.
    The last problem i'm having is an electrical one. The car likes to die on me while in motion, and also doesn't want to start sometimes. Now the dealership can't figure out the problem, they changed the battery, the alternator, and battery cables, and a lot more. All at a high cost which did nothing to fix the problem. I think the total was somewhere around 1100 or more. So in the end over the past month and onward i'm looking at spending multiple thousands of dollars on a vechile to repair many resurfacing problems since day one of the purchase.
    So what i'm seeking are people with some of the same problems, and hearing what they did to fix them. Also i have more to share if anyone needs to know anything.
    Also if anyone has had to deal with land rover north america what their experience was.
    Sorry for the long post.
  • hatton3hatton3 Posts: 13
    One further observation about the rear seat aircon that doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet - it takes up some valuable space. The rear load space in a discovery is adequate (but could never be described as excessive, like in a Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol). However adding rear seat aircon removes about 5 inches off the left side of the full length of the rear load area. When 7 seats are also fitted this means the left rear seat projects quite some way into the load area. Many users wont find a problem with this but believe me with 2 dogs and all the junk needed when travelling with kids as well (push chairs, travel cot, backpacks etc)size is important. I dealt with this by removing the side seat which is now carefully stored in my garage for when the kids are big enough or use them (or I sell the vehilcle).

A few other observations as a fairly recent owner of a series 2 (but having owned 2 earlier Discoveries, an original 200 series and the revised 300 series). Undoubtedly the car is a huge leap forward in every respect. I have never had any problem with any of my Discoveries other than one gear box modification on the 300. You guys all seem to worry too much about reliability. My advice is always to avoid new models for at least 12 months after launch. Land Rover have never had the resources to properly test their vehicles pre launch so they debug them later. Having said that they are usually excellent at honouring any warranty problems. The Series 2 has now been pretty fully debugged and should give many years of very enjoyable motoring, getting you places and through conditions that would be impossible in most other vehicles.
  • 962chat962chat Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this board but have started to look in as I've been considering buying the DII. I've long been an admirer of Land Rover (from a far), but never considered owning/leasing one because of reliability and cost issues.

My question is about dealer service. I'm moving to Spokane in several months, but I need to buy a car now (my current car is a loaner). Will this affect the service I receive in Spokane because the car wasn't purchased there? Are the concerns expressed on this board in this regard just perceived or actual problems in the service? Why is it better to buy the vehicle where you expect to receive afterservice?( more so than any other manufacturer/dealer?)

Secondly, does any one have any experience with the dealer in Spokane?

Lastly, does LR vehicles have to be serviced for routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc at a LR dealer or should an average competent local mechanic be able to take care of these more basic services?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • I feel your pain. I have a 1996 Disco and her warranty ran out this past April. When you say she "likes to die in motion" do you mean loss of power or she actually stalls? For me I have noticed loss of power and a drop from 70mi/hr to 60mi/hr on the highway, the service guy at my dealership just shrugged his shoulders. I believe it is related to the fuel filter and fuel lines. Luckily, I have an excellent mechanic who listens to my every woe and assists me as needed. He agrees it is probably the fuel filter or related parts. As far as LRNA blowing you off, I read ya! First of all, if the problem with your door was not fixed(only the symptoms) then it should be taken care of by the dealer. If you have proof that any of your problems occurred while under warranty, yet they were not corrected by your service dept. then LRNA will be more likely to help you. After all my bitching, they had no choice but to extend my warranty to cover problems they did not fix when they were supposed to. Good luck...i hope my little bit helped.
  • Being a woman, I would have to agree with your analogy!!
    Also, I agree with your statement about the Disco memorizing other habits, like driving in '3', which I do on a regular basis. I've already noticed a difference in gas mileage, shifting and overall handling... she definetly has better pick-up than when I got her a year ago. Are you still considering trading your Disco in for a D2?? I still prefer the D1 over the D2. Obviously, when it comes to a Defender or Series... well that's a whole different thang...

Happy discoing to all!
    I'm afraid I can't offer much insight into your post. I am not a technician nor am I that familiar with the Discovery 1's ABS system operation.
    POC322, Have you contacted Land Rover Owner Care? Their phone # is 1-800-637-6837. I don't know if there is much that could be done, considering the vehicle is 7 years old and well over the mileage for warranty, but you can give it a shot.
    To all, I am here in a very unofficial capacity because I love the vehicle and want to help when I can. I am very limited in what information I can actually post and have no authority to get involved with any problems.
    Thanks for the response tincup47. I completely understand your position. I was hoping you had heard or experienced what I was describing so I thought I'd ask.

A question and comment for "proud owner..." rj17:

Can you please take a look at posting #491? I'm curious to know if you have the same observation. I got mine 3 weeks ago from Cole European at Walnut Creek (great people as well). It's a D II '01 SE7, white gold, silvertone interior with the climate and off-road package. I also want to comment on the remarks you said about the gas mileage and acceleration. I agree 100%. I don't understand how people can expect to have a lot of Zip from a car as heavy as the Disco. Same is true for the gas mileage. This is the price to pay for all the safety you get from the way the car's body is built. I've checked a lot of specs for similar vehicles. If not the same, gas mileage for the others are just about 2 miles more per gallon at the average. If the Disco's engine was used on a lighter car, I bet it would give it a whole lot of Zip and better gas mileage.

To those who are interested and can afford it (I just barely), I say go for it. That's the only way you can understand why there are so many people so passionate about this car.

I'm still also interested in other people's feedback regarding posting #491. Please check it when you get the chance.
  • trc2trc2 Posts: 3
    If there are any readers in the Denver area, I am selling a flawless '00 Silver DII with all the goodies. I won't bore uninterested readers here, but send me an e-mail to tcaleel@hotmail.com if you would like to know more(I'm not a dealer).
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper, trc2.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I apologize, Jackick and Oceandweller! It's a rude assumption on my part that Rover owners are typically males. Mea culpa!!!!! BTW, I think it is VERY cool that you're here, wanting to know more about your trucks.

About the power loss on the highway, it might be sticking valves (misfire) or there's a road speed sensor (or something like that) that's a common culprit too... and hard to diagnose. Surf over to

http://www.wowpages.com/roversnorth/wwwboard/w3bbrr.html

and do some snooping. This question has been asked recently over there. "Ron" is knowledgeable about this item in particular.

Sorry!! -Bob
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    All:

The little item that I think Nanuq is referring to is the engine vehicle speed sensor - a small little bugger than can make you want to sell your vehicle quicker than anything!

I had a problem a couple years back with mine - I think it's a $60 part. I would go from 60 to 70mph and the engine would shudder and cut out. This took 5 trips to the dealer to finally diagnose and repair. Once repaired, I've been trouble free (on that problem) since.

Also, per my previous post - keep an eye on those brake pads every 20000-25000 miles! The total bill (ordering parts from Atlantic British instead of paying Rover prices) was near $2500. They got the rotors off and the calipers were bad, the pistons wouldn't retract enough to allow the new pads in, and the brake lines had rusted enough that one fractured when working around in there. So on the front, it was new pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines. Gotta love those salty MI roads! :)

Don't want to jinx this, but there is a chance that I may be a Defender owner by Saturday! I'll update everyone if it happens.

Bob - how did you post that pic of the upside down rover? Did you just paste into the Posting Windows?

Thanks - wasko
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    "Town Hall Help" linked in the left navigation bar has details on posting pictures.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I just use an HTML tag for "img src" like this:

img src="http://www.nanuq.net/picture.jpg"

and presto! Put angle brackets around that command and it'll fly.

• woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    To tincup47, or anyone else who knows about this:

I had been planning to buy a LR (factory) extended warranty for my '98 RR 4.6. However both of my local dealers have told me these are no longer offered thru Land Rover; one of them offered the explanation that it is "because Ford is buying LR". (One of them also had the gall to try to sell me a 2 yr. after market warranty for $4350, when the price on the 2 yr. LR warranty had been $2700 a few weeks earlier).

Any idea on if LR extended warranties will be offered again? I've looked into independent after market warranties a bit; but am put off by all the stories on this site & others of legitimate claims being denied with a lot of them. (I did look at the GE warranty site, figuring they'd be reliable--guess what? They won't cover any LR vehicles--wonder why :-) However I'd be glad to hear of any specific recommendations for aftermarket warranties that other LR owners have actually used.

Well, I assume that Ford doesn't want to sell warranties that obligate them to fix a lot of aging Land Rovers.......they have enough troubles of their own, with all those Exploders out there rolling over, blowing tires, etc. (BTW, & this is off topic, but I rented an Exploder recently when my RR was in for service--IMHO it was awful in every way, & I did not feel safe or stable in that thing!)

Any info. or advice on the warranty situation would be appreciated.

Steve