Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• jputjput Posts: 1
    ocean dweller, I also live in update NY, and I am considering a 2001 Discovery E. Could you please tell me who your incompetent dealer is ?
  • The lease and finance deals implemented by Rover seem to be working. Disco sales are up 12% for March compared to a year ago. Overall, sales are down for the year about 22%. Maybe Rover will start the scheduled mtce. program again! Which for my 98 Disco, turned out to be a great deal.
  • I Just purchases a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II and am looking for after market accessories like Mats and luggage carriers. Any suggestions?
    HRConsulting@hotmail.com
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Although I recommend genuine Land Rover accesories there are several aftermarket companies that have accessories. Check prices closely though because some of their accessories are higher priced.
    www.roversnorth.com
    www.atlanticbritish.com
  • Keeler Motor Car Co. is my dealership. They claim to be one of the top Rover dealerships in the Northeast, but I've been waiting since early February to have my car seen.. finally got a reply and have an appt. on Tuesday. Just keep in mind that at almost any dealership they appear to be conscientious and competent when selling the vehicle, but if you own it and have it serviced elsewhere for non-warranty items they may not treat you like the luxury car owner you are. I paid cash for my truck, so I have no financial ties to the dealer and I'm sure that makes a difference. Good luck with your purchase! Happy rovering
  • I just received my vehicle history report and it seems like a chunk(about 10months)of information is missing... the report is about 4 pages long. Exhaust problems were listed three times on the report, the first two were from the original owner and the third is from a few days after my purchase.... the problems involved: valves, inlet manifold gasket, and cylinder head gasket etc... anyone know what this is and/or the chances of it happening again??? My dealer wouldn't say, they just said an exhaust thing, like I'm a naive chick driving a big bad truck and wouldn't understand. Is this the whole 'sticking valves' thing I've been hearing about? My mechanic said he hasn't had any experience with 'sticking valves' and the service guy at my dealership looked at me as if I were crazy when I asked him.
    Any information appreciated...
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    post the last 8 numbers of your vin and I will see what I can find out. I suspect the 10 month gap was the vehicle was serviced at non- Land Rover dealerships during that period.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    It happened to my '96. I had the work done under warranty. If you're looking at a printout of what was done then it will have cylinder head gaskets, and intake manifold gaskets on the replaced parts list. The problem began with 4.0L engines in '96, some say it's caused by the new GEMS system that year (engine management system).

Regardless, it does affect BOTH banks of cylinders. If one side of your V8 was done (sounds so from your description) then the other side needs done as well.

The drill is to replace the stock valves with "carbon cutting" valves. These stop the buildup of gum and carbon on the exhaust valve stems, which keeps them from eventually sticking in their valve guides.

Advice I've heard repeatedly is that these engines thrive on hard work. I leave it in '3' almost all the time, only using 'D' on the freeway. It gives me lots better performance too. I periodically (every full tank) run it up to max RPMs thru the gears. I'm FANATIC about fresh lubes regularly, but do use my engine hard.

Evidence of sticking valves is cutouts while driving, accelerating thru the gears you feel loss of power as if some spark plug caps fell off. It doesn't actually die, it just gets momentarily weak as if there's water in the gas. The ECU will store "codes" that indicate misfire. Prolonged misfire means to start looking at sticking valves. An OBDII reader (at the dealership) will retrieve these codes from the computer for diagnosis.

Take a look at www.discoweb.org and see if they have any more details.

I hope this helps, -Bob
  • Thank you for your reply, I will will bring the history to the dealership and recall your information. I use '3' for almost all driving except highway speeds and she definetly runs better if I max the rpms in each gear...sometimes I really miss having a manual! One more question, I've noticed exhaust fumes(smell) in front of vehicle and sometimes coming thru the vents, could this be related to the valve issue?

Thanks again for your input...happy rovering LK
  • sr96sr96 Posts: 3
    Just got a '98 LR which came with only one key and one remote - dealers promised to contact the previous owner for the extras but promptly forgot about it after the deal was closed and I was stupid enough not to put it on the due bill.
    They quoted me @ $300+ for a key+remote... So the question is: does anyone sell them cheaper? Can I use any aftermarket ones?

Thanks!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    I've seen remote fobs come up for Nissans on eBay--you might check there for LR ones.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Glad to help, though I don't think you should have exhaust smell at the front of the truck, no it isn't related to the valves. They just get hot and stick in the valve guides, then cause misfires and poor performance (and eventually, I imagine, burnt valve seats).

Hmmmmmmmm. Just a sec... if you have misfiring then you'll have unburnt fuel out the exhaust... and you might smell more fumes. I guess I have to say I don't know! I've talked myself into a corner here.

Best thing is to have the dealer retrieve the ECU codes with the OBDII and see if it reports extended periods of misfiring... that's the main clue.

Good luck, -Bob
  • bwally6bwally6 Posts: 5
    Sorry, seem to be missing something on that first posting --

After several months of research including religiously reading the various threads in this forum, I finally went and signed for a "Disco" -- Gee, can I use that term now that I'm official? I should be picking up my SD7 in a week or so. I had access to the X-Plan so I was able to add roofs, cold climate, a CD changer, and front fog lights and still come out at about 35K. Some may be asking, "why not go for an SE instead of adding what I added to a SD." It's a 36 month lease -- the SD lease program had the most aggressive residual and money factor. Anyone interested should investigate this option. Anyway, all this to say "thank you" for all the information, good and bad, you folks have provided me over the past couple months. Kinda feels like I'm getting married again..., for the second time -- nervous excitement, did I make the right decision, don't really know what I'm actually getting? My first vehicle ever was `74 Bronco -- this is a fortieth birthday present to myself (Gee, could I be attempting to re-live my youth?). Anyone spotting a white Disco on a flatbed truck heading up I-95 toward New England in the next week or so, be sure and wave "hello" -- and be kind and gentle to my baby -- she's coming to a good home!
    Congratulations! Let's see... white... what name goes with a white Rover? You'll find yourself giving her a name before the year's over. We don't name our appliances but we do name the things with which we have long, satisfying (sometimes fiery) relationships.

How about "Kannik"? That's Yupik Eskimo for "snowflake".
  • I dropped her off at the dealer this morning.. and no I'm not driving a new one in the mean time... they don't have them yet, because NYS rental law only provides a $100.00 deductible if there is an accident..they'll be coming soon... I'm driving an Astro minivan...which is more like a delivery truck with a good radio! Anyway, I approached my service guy with two pages of problems/concerns, vehicle history, invoices from all other jobs and my Haynes manual thanks to AB!...I guess my anal retentive love for my vehicle gave him no choice but to spend nearly a half hour typing all the information!!! He's checking on the valve issue... all the research I've done and all the help from you and wasko, among others... has given me more leverage.. now I just hope it pays off!(my warranty ends this month :P ) Happy rovering and glorious diso-love!!!
  • kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    Hi-

Try asking your local LR dealer if they happen to have a used fob around instead of buying one brand new. The used was about $40.00, it hardly looked touched and the charge was also to have it programmed. It's working out great.

To the guy that just bought a new white Rover- congratulations. Mine is white, too. I have a SE, but had the jump seats installed after market. Enjoy and let us know what you name her.
    You have a white one too? What did you name yours? We have to make sure there are no duplicate names here, lest we get confused!

-Bob
    '96 Disco "Anuqa"
  • shap1shap1 Posts: 77
    Will be ready to most likely lease either an SE or SE7 in the next couple of months. I have access to the Ford X-Plan. Chatted with the LR dealer, and he suggested I might be better off price-wise doing a lease on one of their "executive demos", which he says LR now retires at 2,000 miles.

Any thoughts??
  • bwally6bwally6 Posts: 5
    I can't vouch for the Exec. loaner program, but the X-plan is certainly attractive. The MSRP on my vehicle was $38,975 -- again, an SD7 w/roofs, cold climate, CD changer, and front fog lights. The deal price with the X-plan is $35,478. My dealer did have a LE demo but wasn't ready to move it yet -- I never got a price on it. If you lease there's a ton of different programs. It actually got really frustrating because every time I'd ask to price a different vehicle something would change in the deal i.e, residual, money factor, security deposit. It pays to do your homework and read everything on the lease info. sheet they give you very carefully. Even though dealers and leasing companies were mandated to simplify and make consistent leasing info. a few years ago, theres still any number of ways extra costs can be disguised. I walked away at least twice during this purchase but the damn thing kept calling my name! I can hardly wait to get it! As for names, well..., I've got an idea already but it requires some research. I'll keep ya posted....