Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Good day All!

I recently noticed a fluid leak and had it diagnosed as the transfer case (bad seal). Now understand this was at Jiffy Lube, so any and all opinions are welcome. Looked to me (from under the car at Jiffy Lube) that it is a bad gasket. I'm no Mr. Goodwrench but it that something I could change? Looked to be right there with all bolts exposed? The Transfer case was indeed low (took 8 pumps to fill?) and I am still driving it. I have a local import repair shop that does work on LR's. i just want to know a little about what I'm in for before calling.

2001 Disco II with 79k miles

Thanks (again!)
  • I am needing new shocks. I have looked into KYB, OME and Bilsteins. Which do you recommend and why? I drive a stock 2000 DII and do mostly around town driving. I have and will go offroading several (3-5) times a year.
  • Hi.

I had my 04 Disco.'s front light buld changed 2 months ago and the procedures are pretty simple. I had it done myself in a bit over 20 minutes...

All the necessary procedures are listed in the owner manual clearly.

- Patrick
  • Hello Discofun,

Thanks again for your information. Looking at LR3's now!I really wanted a Disco 2004 HSE7, but they are still wanting a decent amount of change for them and when you combine the "atomic bomb" depreciation, I have moved to the LR3..looking at least.
  • 1996 Discovery 5spd. Not going into gear. Shifts through H N L and also seem to shift through all forward and reverse gears smoothly but yet it does not go into gear. When attempting reverse I hear a slight click. When I tried to move from 5th it vibrates very slightly on clutch release but does not move forward either. Car has been working fine. Can the stick shift have been disconnected some how? Any thoughts??
  • Mine did the same thing, iMine was a .50 cent clip under the shifter! The Knarled black plactic cover on the shifter comes off to reveal a broken clip that allows the plunger to release and shift the transmission into gear and my Chevy dealer replaced it with a .50 part. HEADACHE trying to find.

Hope this helps. :D
  • botat1botat1 Posts: 12
    service engine soon light came on, car drove normal. this lasted a few days, then the light went off. the light came back on and i have an appt to have it checked. this morning i get in the car, turn it on and step on the brake to put the car in gear. as i step on the brake my hand is on the gear shift lever. the car makes a clicking noise and the gear shift lever moves, like a small snap motion. this does not happen once the car is in gear, but does happen each time i step on the brake while the car is in park.
    does anyone out there have any idea what this can be? we will be seeing the dealer very soon.
  • botat1,
    The click and feeling in the shift lever is the safety feature that releases the shift lever when you depress the brake pedal. This ensures the vehicle is secure when shifting out of park. Nothing sounds wrong with what you are seeing on this issue.

The check engine light can be related to emissions issues resulting from a variety of items depending on year (valves, recall issue, sensors, etc.) probably not a huge issue but you should drop the dough to have the codes read.
    thank you for the response. its funny that i never noticed that click noise or the snap motion before though.
    that same morning the weather was very cold. i moved the car out of the garage and came into the house to tell my husband about the brake/shift thing and when he went out to look at it, we had a nice crack on the windshield as well!
    we don't see a rock mark where the crack is. its from the very top of the windshield by the rearview mirror and runs down and sideways toward the driver about 5 inches.
    we take care of rock damage to the windsheilds of all our cars right away, so this was a big surprise to us.
    well, we will deal with that too, thank you.
    we'll let you know what happens at the dealer$$$$$$$$
  • botat1,
    The shift click was probably accentuated by the cold.
    That’s interesting about your windshield crack. I had a loaner ’04 Disco from the dealer the other day and it had a crack originating in the same location but ran down and then towards the passenger side and was about 18” long. I have read elsewhere in these threads about unexplained windshield cracks so maybe there is some predictable underlying fault here. I’m in Dallas so I can’t claim really cold weather as the cause ;-)
    The crack runs down and then towards the driver side, about 15" to 18", starts 3" left side of rear view mirror.We are in the bay area California, cold but not that cold,we will be replacing windshield next week.thanks again.
  • I have a Disco TDI 5 2003. I have a problem with several warning lights coming on for no apparent reason at the same time (ABS, Off Road, Handbrake) and sometimes the ACE light comes on. If I stop, turn off the engine and then restart, the lights dont come on again and the problem may not recur for several days or weeks or a thousand miles. I can get no sense from my dealer on this who says I need new brakes and the problem will go away. My brakes dont need replacing yet and I know someone else who has replaced the brakes and the same problem has persisted. I am vey interested in who else is having problems with several warning lights including ABS illuminating intermittently
  • So I am getting all of these lights coming on & staying on, same as dozens of other threads in this forum. Disco II, 2000, 66k. There is only one dealer here in Adelaide, Australia and he has run a diagnostic which gives fault code 11.4 (shuttle valve electrical failure). I have suggested that he manually tests wheel speed sensors, ABS sensors, wheel hub bearings etc (thanks to other responses in this forum)but he won't do that cos "the ABS system does this several times each minute anyway". He wants to gouge me for $A6,000 for a whole new ABS modulator. :mad: Any advise for a non-mechanical guy? Thanks, Matthew.
  • I have a 2000 Disco II with 115,000 miles and have never had any problems. New brakes and tires at 65,000 miles (how did you ever let them talk you into new brakes at 15,000 miles?? You got robbed, I'll bet they through in rotors too for a nearly $1000 total job, my rotors are original BTWay.) oil, gas, nothing else. Everything still works, ac, power locks, power windows, everything is fine. Turn the key and go for 100,000+ miles with original everything except tires, brake pads, oil, and gas. Best car I have ever owned including GMs(worst), Fords, Toyotas, several Hondas (tied for first), Audis (very close second). Only problem with the Disco II is 15mpg.......
    We had the same problem about 2 years ago, we would stop , restart truck again, and lights would go away.The abs and hill decent control were the ones, several weeks or months would go by, and they would come on again. The dealer told us not to worry about it, and the lights went away.You got me on this one.Now we have the check engine light coming on and then off,every time we have an apointment with the dealer the light goes off, i want the diagnostic done when the light is on, they did tell us to stop driving if it starts flashing, 2001 disco 2 se7 68500 miles. :)
  • I have a 2000 Disco II, and my lights (ABS, Decline, and Hand Brake) would come on as well. I had the brakes replaced, the codes checked, and the codes cleared. Still kept coming back.

Finally narrowed down the ABS modulator, where I got three quotes from two dealers (the first was for US$1500, the second at the same dealer with a different service advisor was for US$3000!, the third from a different dealer was for US$1700). I had the modulator replaced and have had no problems for a year.

Used ABS modulators are between US$700-900 plus labor, so my advise is to check around for best price and have it done at the dealer.
  • discomandiscoman Posts: 110
    Check your gas cap. Sometimes the rubber gasket can become worn or cracked and doesn't make a good seal. This will cause your light to come on too. Should be an inexpensive thing to change, and probably not a bad idea anyway.
  • Hi, A friend of mine has a Discovery and I think it is an 03 or 04. She parks on a rather steep driveway and her brake light comes on when pulling up the drive to park and to back out. Light goes out afterwards. I assume that when she says brake light, she means ABS. She also says the brakes squeak a little when she stops. Now, I don't know about Discos, but I still have the original pads on my 91 chevy truck, so, I'm thinking that brake pads on a Disco should last longer than three years. I'm might look at them. But, she likes to take it to the dealership and they said that it probably needs pads and probably new rotors. NEW ROTORS? You got to be kidding me? She said that the dealership told her that the rotors can't be turned. I think this is a bunch of dooky. Can anyone confirm this? I think she is just low on fluid and the pads are a little warpped. Any thoughts?
  • Hello,

I have the same problem as you. May I ask how you got it resolved?

Thank you
  • Hi All. It is time to replace the original equipment Goodyears on my 2003 Disco. At 32,000 miles they are like racing slicks in the Colorado snow. Question is, what to replace them with?

I have my eye on a set of Michelin XPC 4x4's, which are $224 each at Costco. Ouch! More than I would like to spend. Also looking at Yokohama Geolanders - G52. They are a bit less expensive.

I have the SE with 18 inch wheels. Just about anything I buy will have to be ordered, as the 255/55 HR 18 size does not seem to be a stock item in tire stores around here.

Does anyone have experience with either of these tires? Or, with other tires that have performed well? I need something that is good in the snow, good off road and good towing a 4,000 lb. trailer. I also do a lot of long distance highway driving, both with and without the trailer. I guess I am looking for the everything tire, and I know that does not exist. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

For the record, we are averaging 15.5 mpg over the 32K miles, (with some traier towing) and virtually no breakdowns or problems save for a burnt out lightbulb and a service engine soon warning light that was fixed quickly by Landrover Denver East quickly under warranty. One tough truck.

Thanks.

Pete.