Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• I am now a believer in tire rotation. I currenrtly have the Michelin Synchrone but they have what I consider unacceptable wear due to not rotating. I am done with the LR dealerships and will be rotating my next set of tires regularly. Thanks for the advice.
  • Take a look at Cooper Discovery tires. I've had mine on now for about 13,000 miles. Less expensive than many others. Did a fine job in last winter's many deep Denver snowstorms. I pull a 20 foot Trail-Lite RV trailer. Never had any problems with them.
  • Tires on most heavy SUV's wear very quickly. I found the original Goodyear Wranglers on my '01 DII to last 17K with lots of cupping despite rotations. Next I tried Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-22's ($1200, phenomenal snow traction)and got better wear up to 25K miles. The current set of tires are General Grabber A/T's and also great snow traction and least wear so far. They were the least expensive too. TireRack shipped them to my front door for about $650 and I had local Big-0 install for $80. They are fairly beefy and great off-road too.
    We have the Michelin Synchromes($1250) on our '05 RR and they are desperately needing replacement now at 25K miles. I think we'll try the Pirelli Snow and Ice SUV tires next. It used to be difficult to find snow or all-weather tires for 18" rims but it's easier nowadays. Hope this helps. Nokian now makes SUV tires in 18" so check those out.
  • Can anyone give any suggestions as to why these warning lights may have come on as a result of? Car has been stalling before it starts a little for the last month. It finally gave out last night. It was just at the dealership not even 30 days for a tune up, and it would not start. The night before last, when I was drving all of a sudden the manual mode and sport mode lights came on for a quick second, but than went off when I restarted the car. When I looked up the warning light signal and definitions in the manual, it stated that it was an indication of electrical fault with the automatic gearbox. Now, I have no idea what that means, and I was just wondering if someone could explain why that would happen, and if it is covered under the extended warranty.

Also, do you know if you can get an extended warranty for a discovery 2003 HSE7 for over 100,000 miles. I saw somehwere that landrover has warranties up to 120,000 miles. Has anyone ever heard of it, because the dealship stated that 100,000 is the maximum.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    An electrical or electronic fault with the electronic gearbox could be any of a wiring defect (i.e., short circuit), a malfunctioning computer chip or faulty sensors (speed, engine load, temperature, elevation etc.).

For questions regarding extended warranties head on over to Land Rover Extended Warranty.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Thanks for the information. I will look into that, and thanks for the warranty info.

Thanks
  • I have a 2003 Discovery SE and had the same problem with the M & S lights. My battery had been week prior to the lights coming on and my gearbox finally went into the "limp home" mode. I bought a new battery and it solve the problem. Since the gearbox on the Discovery is electronically controlled, you can have problems if your battery goes bad. You should at least test your battery before you spend a ton of money with a mechanic. Let me know if it works for you.
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    my 99 disco II headliner is falling....any idea on how much to replace it will be?

Cheers,

MC
  • Hi There - to have the headliner replaced by the dealer will run you a minimum of $600 if you do not have the rear A/C option, otherwise it will cost around $800. I removed my headliner (with rear A/C) on my own and took it to a local shop which had the larger fabric available for $150. It is important to "blow out" or reconnect the sunroof drain tubes with silicon or superglue at the same time as these can commonly fail and cause devastating leaks. The headlining replacing company will need a sample of the tan plastic to recreate the factory headliner. Best of luck!
  • Hi im new 2 all this i own a 2004 discovery landrover. with in the last 2 months my brakes have been acting up. Totally screaching. I live n Az i have called my dealer and they have told me 2 wash them with soap and power hose them. I have one that @ least 5x. They have told me that it is just dust in my brakes. They have continued on making that embarassing noise. I bought my a lil over a year ago. @ 8600 miles. Right now it is about 2 roll over 2 24000 miles. The dealership also told me that a light would turn on if the brake pads where out. & that it also has to do with how it is driven. I own my my own buisness so i hrdly ever drive it. Its never been n 4x. The owners b4 me where snow birds and never drove it. They where an older couple. Do u have any suggestions? Ty T@ylor
  • I've had similar problems with M&S lights - I just got new batterey and so far so good; but I'm skeptical and don't want to drive to far. After you changed your battery you had no further issues? I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ at the dealer if I don't need to. Did you ever check the diagnostics? That was my next step - just wondering...
  • Hi,
    I know the screacking!
    I can recommend to change the thin metalplates each side of the pads or simpler: Get some copper paste and use your finger and put a few points on the shining side of the brake disk.
    That should take care of it immediately. The first tip will make it pemanent.
    Good luck
  • Ty. Where do i get this cooper paste? I tried this brake cleaner on monday and it worked for a lil bit. Now its doing all over again. Its the front passangers. Which is the right brakes.
  • The copper paste is to be obtained in any well assorted car accesory shop I would believe. In my place it is comming in a tube.
    Try googling for it
    good luck!
  • So I took my 96 land rover discovery off- roading, nothing too serious... lots of mud though... I got stuck several times and used my winch to pull myself out but then one time after i had pulled my self out it wouldn't start, at first it wouldn't even crank but after holding it for a few seconds it will start to crank again but will not start. I don't have a lot of experience with cars but there was water in the air filter which means water in the engine which isn't good. Also, a clicking noise coming from what seems to be behind the glove box starts going off and keeps clicking until the key is removed, I'm not sure whether this means the battery is dead or what... I had someone tow me home but I don't know where to go from there... and i'm not looking forward to spending tons of $ as i have already shelled out too much on this car. What should I do?
  • I got a P2539 code on my 2001 Disco II today. My regular mechanic said I have a coolant leak that they don't have the equipment to get to, but suggested that I watch the level and add coolant when necessary since it's a small leak. He didn't know how much the dealer would charge to fix it.

When I put the P2539 code into RepairSolutions database, it took me to the Land Rover technical information (for $9.99) and the dealer specs say I have a possible Trickle Valve leak.

Does anyone know if I'm looking at a $3,000 plus repair job?

Whenever our regular mechanic can't fix something, I always figure it's an expensive job.
  • Hei, you really were walopping in the dirt?
    I would have cleaned the car with pressurised water underneath. Then hook up with a 12 volt booster and see if you can get it working
    The clicking is probably from the alarm wiring/security, because that is situated partly behind /undeneath the glovebox,

I do not understand why thr battery should be flat, but if you used the winch repeatedly without running the engine and having a short drive after wards...

But it is easy checking the battery. Put on the headlights and start (try) if the lights dissapear Ok then your battery is flat.

goos luck :)
  • The ABS, TC, and Hill Decent lights have come on in my 2001 disco ii. I have had the rear brake pads replaced and all the tires rotated recently. I did not have the rotors resurfaced. The sqeeling noise from the new pads went away after a few days, but the three warning lights (ABS, TC, and Hill Decent) and my check engine light are now on. Any suggestions as to what it might be?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,283
    Any suggestions as to what it might be?

On the tech-oriented LR boards your problem is known as "The Three Amigos" . The issue has a number of causes. Many Disco owners simply have the dealer reset the lights and they will stay off for a year or more. In other cases a more elaborate fix is required. Here's a helpful article concerning the problem.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Im sorry i am bearly getting back 2 u. Do you think checker or auto zone would have the copper paste? I appreciate your help. Ty :)