Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• My rear handle does the same thing. Just spray some wd40 or lubricant up there (right and left sides of the lever) and it will work just fine for a few months..If you've read my posts then you know there might be more fun to come! :-) These trucks have scored black for consumer reports in reliability (BAD).....
  • Hi There - Sounds like the ABS Modulator has gone bad - Mine went bad out of warranty and cost me $1800 to fix. When the shuttle valve inside gets stuck, it is unrepairable. Have the dealer check and replace IMMEDIATELY. They should know that this is a common malfunction!! When the ABS modulator goes bad, the TC, ABS and Hill Descent Lights stay on. This was a COMMON problem in the DSII.
  • Just wanted to let you know that the99-02 Disco II engine is a reworked Buick V8 engine. This engine requires that at least once a month you "punch it" and get the engine to an extremely high rev (5-6000 RPMS) This keeps the top of the heads clean and prevents the notorious "valve job" that will cost you $2-3K. If you have a 99-02 Disco SII, do yourself a favor and "punch it" at least once per month until the RPMS go into the 5-6K range and clean the top of the valves - otherwise you will have a costy valve job!! I usually do this on the entrance ramp to our interstate highway. "Babying" this V8 engine or using regular unleaded will cost you big $$$ in the long run!! You have been warned!!
  • My advice is to get your replacement tires at Costco. Every couple months they offer $60 off a set of four Michelin Synchrones (Standard equip on the Range Rover). The greatest reason for buying them there is because they offer LIFETIME rotation, balancing and Road Hazard INCLUDED. These are NECESSARY if you want to get the most out of your tire investment!! Since I bought my set there I have had a dramatic increase in the life of the tires (have them rotated and balanced every 5k at no extra charge!) Good Luck! Remember that because this vehicle is permanent 4WD, you must replace all 4 tires at once!!
  • Hi There - I purchased the Land Rover "RAVE" service manual on ebay on CD and it has been invaluable. The only issue I encountered is that it wants an older version of Adobe Acrobat (that it is willing to install). The big drawback to owning LR vehicles is the computer codes (Testbook) that diagnose most problems. Because that program is so rare, the dealer generally charges $150 to hook it up and share the diagnostic codes...
  • Hello There - Yes, my ABS modulator also went out - I ended up buying a new sealed unit off Enay for $400 and then having the dealer install it for $400. Whatever you do, don't buy a unit that isn't new and sealed, because the brake fluid causes rust and the dealer won't install it. That mistake cost me $300. You would think that this would be a recall issue, but because it doesn't hamper the general brakes, it is not required. ABS, TC and HD are all extra optional bonuses. Good Luck!!
  • Hi There, There is a common problem with the ABS modulator where a shuttle valve inside gets stuck and renders the ABS modulator worthless. The dealer wants almost $2k to fix it. I purchased an ABS modulator (new and sealed) off Ebay for $400 and had the dealer install it for $400. DO NOT purchase a USED ABS modulator as the brake fluid causes rust and the dealer WILL NOT install it. It must be a NEW SEALED UNIT!! As far as rotors are concerned, they recommend replacement EVERY TIME brakes are done, however, I get (2) sets of pads out of them every time I replace them so long as they are not warped. I get my parts from atlanticbritish.com. I have also replaced both air springs for the SLS with their aftermarket parts (that come from the same OEM manufacturer). I posted a descriptive instruction manual for that here on the forums. Good Luck!!
  • I have had my brakes checked a few times in the last year. It began with the brake fluid slowly leaking. I've had the master cylinder replaced plus had the mechanic put on new brake pads. For some reason the problem kept reoccuring. Most recently he replaced the master cyliner again and it no longer leaks however once I stop at a light, or for any other reason, my brakes slowly go down. I don't know what else to do to fix the problem. Is there anything else I need to have him look at or could it just be the mechanic not knowing what he's doing?
  • Would the ABS Modulator failure also account for the M and S lights flashing? I started me 2001 Disco II last night and not only were the manual and sport mode lights flashing, but as I shifted from park to reverse, the red lights on the transmission panel were flashing as the gear passed from Park to Reverse. Then when I shifted to Drive, the lights on either side of the D were flashing. The transmission was sluggish as I applied the gas. After a 5 minute drive (these lights still flashing) I reached my destination, turned off the car and did my errand. When I returned after about 15 minutes, everything was working normally. Is this the first sign of bad things to come?
  • There was a recall on the brake system on 99 and 00 disco series II brake systems, however, my pedal only went down like you described when I was braking and simultaneously hit any size bump or pothole in the road. After the recall was corrected it no longer did that. I would check with Land Rover to see if the recall was ever corrected on your Disco.
  • edariceedarice Posts: 1
    Driver side brake / turn signal light on '98 Disc wasn't working - only passenger side working fine. We changed bulbs and both sides worked when we tested them but on a second test, they're out on both sides and can't get car out of gear. We think it's a safety mechanism where if both brake lights are out, can't get car in gear? Can it be a fuse problem as it (car) was fine just prior. Any ideas?
  • mojake1mojake1 Posts: 1
    Door lock button and keyless entry will lock all doors, but will not unlock the two rear doors. They have to be unlocked by pulling the handle inside. Any suggestions? Quite the pain w/kids. (02 Disco II)
  • drawlingsdrawlings Posts: 11
    Not sure about the '02 but instructions for my '99 tell me pressing the button once opens the 2 front doors and pressing it a second time within several (I think 5) seconds opens all the others.

Have U tried that?
  • Sounds to me like the rear child door lock switches are engaged. Consult your manual and turn the rear door child door locks to OFF. They are designed to keep children from exiting the vehicle unintentionally. Good Luck,.
  • tkaltkal Posts: 1
    Hi, I get the M&S lights coming on and staying on flashing often. This stuffs up the computer in the car.
    I rang L.Rover dealer and they told me it was a Computer error. To fix this -
    Take the key out from ignition, get out of the car, close the door. Count to ten.
    Go back in the car and the problem is fixes as the Computer has re-set itself.
  • lemboskilemboski Posts: 1
    Regarding a 2001 Land Rover Series Discovery II SD. My nephew was working on my sisters Land Rover and got everything messed up. Can any one help me, help him and let me know what the firing order on coil packs are...Please?!?!?!
  • miah3miah3 Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 LanRover Discovery. Yesterday I found out that the brake lights are out and that the car is stuck in park. I have replaced the break switch, but it did not fix the problem. I have removed the shift plate and have bypassed the silinoid by clicking the switch every time I have to take it out of park. I have checked all of the fuses and none of them are blown.
    I am almost 200 miles from the closest LandRover dealership.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??

Thank you. :confuse:
  • mtidmoremtidmore Posts: 1
    miah3 --

I'm *very* surprised that replacing the brake switch didn't remedy the problem. The symptoms you describe (no bake lights, car stuck in park) are almost always caused by a faulty brake switch. Could the replacement switch be broken or incorrectly installed? Before the new switch was installed, did it seem to work? I always give any switch a couple of clicks, just to make sure it feels like it's working.

On my 2000 Disco this switch is located behind the brake pedal. I assume it's the same on the 2003. You might try removing the brake switch and reinstalling it, just to make sure it's correctly seated and the wire bundle is connected.

Good luck.
  • lesquivialesquivia Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my Disco 1. Did you ever fix it? PLEASE HELP!
  • smitty53smitty53 Posts: 1
    Hoping someone out their knows where the massive air flow sensor is located on a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II. Please resond if you know. Thanks Smitty53