Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,960
    Here's another X-Plan discussion for you too:
    Ford Partner Program......(need some help)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • brandmarbrandmar Posts: 37
    Thanks Tincup47 and Steve. I'll go investigate those boards.
    Does anyone know if there are any incentives for the month of June and what they may be? I've checked the Land Rover Web site and it wasn't been updated.

Thanks
  • sanslinksanslink Posts: 11
    I have been following this message board for several weeks because I am considering purchasing a new discovery II (and am now convinced that I WILL be jumping in, head first!) I also live in Seattle and noticed that all the LR dealerships are owned by the same group. Have you had any experience with the dealerships, and if so, is there a specific person at either of the dealerships, or elsewhere, you recommend I deal with for my purchase? I understand they don't negotiate on price, but I would like to deal with someone who is at least honest and doesn't try to hide the fact that land rovers have their "quirks." Any advice would be appreciated!
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    The best advice I could give anyone is to talk to Gord'n Perrot, he'll steer you toward a good dealer (but I'd bring it to HIM for service).

Regards, -Bob

Gord'n Perrot G&S Service SEA
    (206) 361-7002
  • Hey all... I'm in the process of purchasing a SE ACE under X-plan, and my dealer faxed me a document indicating that the LR price under X-plan is MSRP - $600 shipping x 1.04 + invoice. I think this is a good deal. Plus all accessories are .85 x MSRP.
  • Hi everyone.

I'm going to pick up my 2001 black, SE ACE next weekend, and I have to let the dealer know whether I want the brush guard and tail light guards. Any suggestions?

I might be doing some off-roading (very rarely), so the guards will be primarily for cosmetic purposes. I can't decide if I like the appearance better with or without them - I think the car almost looks classier without...

?
    Some in-general thoughts you may not have heard yet: the brush guards are largely cosmetic; a parking lot "tap" may be enough to push the guard into your bodywork, causing a much more expensive dent. Also the taillight guards are known to catch tree branches as you pass by, and can be torn right out of the bodywork leaving nasty screw holes.

I agree, the truck looks much better "plain". If you need a real bar then look into ARB, etc. Those will truly protect your bodywork.

Regards, -Bob
  • shap1shap1 Posts: 77
    Math is not my strong suit, so I want to be sure I understand your formula since I will also be using the X-plan. Based on Edmunds' figures for an SE: $36,350(msrp)x.104= $3,780. $32,350(invoice)+ 3,780= $36,130.

Is that correct? I suspect not. I saw in a post in the early 400's that a loaded SD7 at msrp $38,975 came out to $35,478 with the X-plan.
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Sanslink:

I'd definitely follow Nanuq's advice as I just moved to WA in March so my experiences are somewhat limited out here.

For what it's worth though, I'll share my recent sales and service experiences.

Buying a LR is unlike most vehicle purchases - most dealerships are usually very low pressure and very helpful!

I happened into Land Rover Eastside for service on my vehicle and talked at length to one of the sales guides, Jeff Anschell. He is the one I purchased my Defender through.

As far as understanding the quirks of Rovers, Jeff was great. He mentioned that many Defenders don't get a really good air seal at highway speeds so you'll sometimes get a whistle. Cracking the opposite side window alleviates the whistle. I also made an off comment about the squeaking seat and he rolled up his sleeves and went to work on the seat himself. Wasn't a permanent fix, but I liked his effort :) Also, he claimed to have only on 1997 D90 original LR brochure left, and he let me have it with the vehicle! That was an extremely thoughtful gesture, as was the D90 hat and a Freelander cap for my wife (read past posts - we're a buncha Rover idiots!).

Also, for service - they seem to be pretty straight. I found out (the hard way) that my debit card only allows $600 'charges' per day. I had a $1000 service bill and they let me take the vehicle and drop a check by the next day - very nice of them and something they didn't really have to do.

Sales manager is Chip and I talked to him about xPlan (IF I do a new DII in the next 6 months) and he seemed very knowledgable about it.

So, even though my experiences are limited, if you're an East-sider, LR Eastside seems to be a pretty good crew.

Email me (stephen#wasko@hot#mail.com#) offline if you want any additional information. Just remove the # signs from the email address.

Thanks, wasko
    Well, I made a call to the dealer yesterday. As for incentives: the 5.9% financing for 60 months is good until July 2nd as in the lease deal for $399. This was a New England dealer. Just an FYI.
  • sanslinksanslink Posts: 11
    wasko & nanuq--Thanks so much for the helpful info! I've actually been into LR Eastside and I had the same impression--very helpful and low pressure. We'll most likely be buying in the next few months and I look forward to sharing our experiences with this knowledgeable group!
  • I think you got it right. I have a fax from landrover NA right in front of me, showing the formula to be:

[(MSRP-$625freight) x 4%] + invoice.

Your dealer might not do it this way, which means you are lucky, but it is the official way...

BTW - this comes out to about $38,500 for a black SE with ACE, cold climate, brush guard...
  • Actually, you miscalculated. The price would be:

.04 * (36,350-625) + 32,350 =

.04 * 35,725 + 32,350 =

1,429 + 32,350 =

Your price: $33,779 + tax/tags/title/accessories.
  • mikes23mikes23 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to reset, to off the amber check engine light. I spoke to dealer and they said their diagnostic computer was the only way to turn off the light after a fault. 96 discovery.

thanks
    With the advent of OBDII you do indeed have to use the dealer's laptop to reset the light. It may be that you have a LATE LATE LATE '95 (very early '96) and you may be in luck. There are two locations to check: passenger footwell, inside the plastic bulkhead are many solenoids and such. Look for a smallish, square (some are brown) box with a "Land Rover" oval sticker over the center. If the box is not there, look under the passenger seat. If you find this box, gently poke a straightened paper clip thru the center of the sticker (it covers a hole) and that shorts two contacts together, resetting the light.

If you have to take it to the dealer, bring along a case of nice ale and talk to the mechanic on his lunch break... see if he'll reset it for you, and give him a nice gift as thanks.

If the "check engine" is set again, you better have it looked at. You can set a code with such simple things as water in the gas and resultant extended misfiring.

Regards, -Bob
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    OBDll does not have to be reset by the laptop. A scan tool is all that is required. Federal regulations require this.
    Will any scan tool reset all stored codes? There's been many long discussions about this on the other boards and it does smell of extortion, if indeed one needs the laptop to reset them.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    They are supposed too. Like I said this is a federal requirement on OBDII. Had this confirmed on our technical assistance line. I would still recommend that they find out what the code means and have it repaired, not just clear the code and forget it.
  • mikes23mikes23 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, I recently changed spark plugs,wires, air filter and the fault code originally was for a mis-fire. I believe it will not reset itself to continue with my trouble-shooting. Thanks