Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    I am presently on vacation until July 5. I'll answer all the build date requests when I get back to work and access to my office computer.
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Oceandweller:

Join the club! Maybe they're automatically setup to 'drain' when the warranty runs out :)

I had the same problem with my DI - the oily stuff spilled all over my dash and console. Now there is a dry ring left around the mirror.

For the small (automatic) loss in functionality, I have decided not to replace it. I just tilt the mirror up when driving at night :)

Thanks - wasko
  • onyxfilmonyxfilm Posts: 1
    HI! I am looking to purchase a 2000 Disco II. It's a great deal with the leather package and is prewired for the CD changer. Here's my question: The dealer says I can only get the Land Rover make CD changer if I want it to work with the controls on the steering wheel--except that is $700 CD player! Can I use a third party player that will work with the land rover controls or is the dealer right? Can I get a third-party player and use it if it has a remote control? Thanks for your help!
  • WASKO: Good to know I'm not the only one! I haven't noticed any leaks, but it has disappeared in a matter of weeks. I can live with out it, I find the height of the vehicle and the tilt of the mirror makes night driving no problem... but it was nice while it lasted. -Ocean

Has anyone been using Castrol Syntec in their rovers? I just replaced the oil and went synthetic and I love the differences: smooth running and better pick up etc.. I heard Chevron makes a good synthetic, one of my mechanics was raving about it.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Posts: 62
    I have off-roaded both my skid-plate equipped, non-ACE '00 DII as well as my non skid-plated '99 DII with ACE, in NM and CO, and have had no problems or complaints with either vehicle. The ACE is really nice when driving roads like the million $ highway in CO, but it's not a real necessity - the non-ACE vehicle just leans a little more, but not enough to justify $ 2900. I would for sure get the front skid-plate to cover the steering stuff, as based on my scuffmarks on the plated vehicle, there is a good potental for damage there. I've also had no problems with the low profile tires on "the rocks".

Maintenance on the DII is no big deal, costs are no more than my Toyota or Benz, or any other vehicle for that matter - plus you can do a lot yourself. My biggest problem has been scheduling the services - usually takes 3 weeks advance notice - I hope I never need emergency repairs.
    mr toad, your vehicle was built 10/17/00
    danslrdii your vehicle was built on 12/14/99
    The Discovery has won the Strategic Vision Total Quality Award.
  • jackickjackick Posts: 12
    Hey Tincup- our vin is #YA242528. What's our birthday?

Love the truck thus far- we have camped in it (we are shorter in stature, so folding the seats down and sleeping in the back is not too bad), brought the bikes out (with a hitch mounted Yakima rack- although the back is inaccessible with the rack on) and attended a LR picnic event where we could offroad to the best of our abilities. (She has some minor battle scars too, which adds to my affection for this vehicle!) I have even taken the truck through some fields just for fun. As a passenger noted, "This was fun in our Blazer but it's even more fun to do in your Land Rover!!!!!!"

Only concern is the gas mileage on our 2000 Discovery II- I was expecting an average between the low of 13 and the high of 17 based on the fuel economy blurb on the window sticker. Even with a tank full on highway, we are averaging 14.5. We use 92 octane and run the "econ" for the climate control. Any suggestions on improving the 14.5? I know this isn't a Geo Metro but I would like to try to get better mileage if possible.

Thanks for all of the guidance on this informative board!

PS: I renamed her the Weiner Mobile- for numerous reasons, but it seems to fit her personality!!!!!
    Your Discovery was built 9/16/99
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    I use Syntec 5/50 in winter for the flow capability when it's cold out, and I use 20/50w GTX in summer, with 2 quarts of Syntec replacing 2 quarts of dino-oil. I use Wix 51515 filters (I think that number's right) and love 'em. That Wix is the long-body Fram PH8A replacement.

Some folks report noisy "tappy" lifters... a few months of Syntec seems to wash the crud out and quiet things up. Plus it has a higher flash point so you get fewer deposits on the exhaust valve stems. That's pretty important for '96 GEMS 4.0 trucks.

If you use 20/50w in summer, keep the RPMs down (like below 2k) until the temp gauge comes up off the peg. Otherwise you can pop open the popoff valve in the filter and run all that crud thru your engine again.

Happy Rovering! -Bob
  • jcelderjcelder Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a late model (96 or newer) Land Rover Discovery with preferably under 70,000 miles. I can only spend about $18,000-19,000 (or less) and would like to know what the service histories of Land Rover owners are? As a rule, is there a certain point where Land Rovers become frequently broken down? Can one buy a Discovery and rely on it to have relatively minor cost repair problems for 70,000-120,000 miles. I have heard some stories that Land Rovers have spotty repair problems especially toward high miles. As I can imagine they are expensive to fix,is the extended warranty worth it? What kind of mechanical problems should I anticipate? How would anyone compare their Rover with cost of ownership to a similar or cheaper SUV? Please let me have any *unbiased* opinions of your experiences.
  • Does anyone know if the Tomb Raider Defender will be offered in the USA for 2002?
    The Defender will not be available in the U.S. before 2004-2005. The vehicle needs a complete dash redesign to comply with U.S. safety standards.
  • Check out a CD changer on roverconnection.com or go on E-bay and pick up a used LR CD then just plug and play.
  • Thanks for the Defender information. It will be a good while until 04/05 so, lets forget about the new Defenders for now. What is a Strategic Vision Total Quality Award? I trust this award has more to do with than the view from the drivers seat.
    Thanks Tin,
    Regards To All,
    This link is to their site, gives the story better than I can.

http://www.vision-inc.com/01_tqa_release.html

• Could someone let me know if there is anywhere on the web/internet where I could view the land rover discovery series II Kalahari edition. I am only aware of the one photo taken at the auto show, the one where it is posed on the man made mountain. This picture only affords a side view. I have spent some time trying to locate additional photo's, but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
    Regards to all.
    Here is a site I've found that has info and a different pic.

http://www.landyonline.co.za/specs/kalahari_discovery.htm
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    Has anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area paid less then "Sticker" for a 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE? If so, how much did you get it for and how was it equiped?
  • Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Range Rover 4.0. The Range was recently returned to Land Rover (3 year lease terminated) with only 12,000 miles. It's a 1998 with a sale price of $38K. I've searched for used Range Rovers and typically they all have between 33K-40K of miles driven for 1998-2000 rovers and up to 60K miles of warranty with the ability to extend the warranty up to 100 miles.

I'm looking to potentially close on the purchase Tuesday July 10, 2001. However, I'm not in a rush or neither am I pressed to make a purchase. I feel as though I've come across a great deal, given the details listed above. Basically, if this is a good deal I don't want it to get away from me.

What I'm looking for is perhaps some feedback, suggestions and recommendations that will either make or break my decision to purchase it.

Thanks in advance!

ljroveraround (Lionell)