Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• buroskyburosky Posts: 89
    Thanks again for checking my DII's birthdate. That makes mine a Friday car (9/8/2000). To anyone, I can't remember exactly but some postings back I recall some people making comments about the day the cars are built. Was Friday supposed to be good or bad? Anything I have to keep an eye on?
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    This goes back years, but I believe it belongs with all of the other old wive's tales and Urban Legends. Supposedly Friday cars were bad because everyone was getting ready for the weekend, Monday cars because everyone was getting over hangovers. Other than anecdotal stories, there are no actual studies supporting this theory.
  • tincup, can you see when our truck's birthday is? VIN ends in 1A711607? Thanks!!

I've seen a few mentions of cars seats out there. My wife and I are expected our first and will soon be in the market for an infant (rear-facing) car seat. Can anyone recommend a specific make/model that they've had a good experience with? Also, if anyone has had a really rough time with a specific make/model please let me know that as well.

I know this is a little off-topic, but I know the Disco II rear seats are a bit different than most vehicles and I'm looking to get some solid user info. thanks.

David.
    Yours was built on 11/21/00
  • roo514roo514 Posts: 6
    Well, we bought a 2001 Disco over the weekend and we've been having a lot of fun with it so far! :)

tincup, would you please look up the build date? VIN: 1A727077

Thanks!
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    I don't know about anyone else, but mine was built on a Thursday and she always seems to run best on Fridays. 'Course the only thing the radio will pick up on Fridays are those Heineken commercials...

I think it's because Lord Lucas is off blowing the froth off a couple pints and forgets to torment my electrics on Fridays. Seems plausible to me. And FWIW I never EVER drive her on Mondays ... just in case Lord Lucas is feeling cranky from a long weekend. It's the mtn bike for me!

Regards, -Bob
    Congratulations on your new Discovery. It was built on 04/11/01
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Posts: 68
    I am looking to purchase the safari cage rack and ladder for my '01 DII SE7 for extra storage when loaded with 7 passengers. I am wondering if the cage would interfere with the sunroofs opening fully. The photos seem to show minimal clearance between the roof and rack. Any experience out there? Also, would the Kayak racks interfere as well? Thanks for any info.
    mrtoad3
  • Does anyone know how I can find out what kind of maintenance a particular Discovery has had?
    My wife and I are looking at a '97 Discovery VIN SALJY1245VA537184. I don't want something that's had a lot of problems or major accident repairs that wouldn't show up on Carfax. Does Land Rover provide any information on warranty work etc?
    Please help!
    None of the Genuine Land Rover Discovery Series 2 accesories interfere with the sunroofs. The original Discovery cross bars can interfere with the rear sun roof with the side rail extensions fitted it the bars are installed in a certain position. The later cross bars will not interfere.
    The vehicle you are looking at was built 7/16/96. No major problems in this vehicle's warranty history. Mostly leaks or minor electrical problems.
  • simrocksimrock Posts: 3
    I didnt have a problem with my first child and the car seat because it was in the middle of the back seat, but now that i am having a second child i am having a VERY hard time finding a rear facing carseat that will fit behind the passenger or drivers seat. There isnt alot of room! My only option is to move the passenger seat forward quite a bit(which is uncomfortable for most people) or try to squeeze the seats side by side, which isnt very good when one child is grabbing at the other. The peg perego infant carseat worked great for us. GOod luck
  • suvguy2suvguy2 Posts: 1
    My neighbor is selling his '94 Disco. It has 220,000 miles and is in good condition inside and out, and it doesn't leak any vital fluids. There is no blue cloud behind it when he drives down the street. He's done a number of repairs over the years which he will share with me (we just haven't had time to discuss). The price isn't final but will be in the $5,000 range. I'm thinking of buying it to drive to work and have some fun with, and to help me decide if I want to plunk down 35 large for a new one.

I would appreciate any info on problem areas to be aware of and whether I am buying a money pit. I believe '94 was the first year for the Disco. What things should I expect to repair/replace at that mileage? The way I see it, it must be a fairly reliable vehicle to go that far in 7 years. He drives it to work daily - 160 miles round trip, all interstate. He's also big into hunting and has taken it off road.
    It should have had any of the problems show up by now. 1994 was the first year of the Discovery in North America. It had been available since 1987 in the rest of the world, so it was not a brand new model.
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    I just picked up a "new to me" 2000 Disco II SD with 6k on the odometer for $300 over low book. It is immaculate and I am just wondering what it has been doing for the last one and a half years. Vin # SALTL1541YA282430. Thank you. Also is there anyone that could lead me to a CD changer for this rig? All that I have found aftermarket is a Alpine S620 with a interface cable. Anyone know who builds the changers for LR? $700 from the dealer is real steep for a 6 disk changer. Also, what seat coverings come on the Disco II? I have heard of cloth/Velor, "Duragrain," and leather. Mine looks like leather but have a glossy look of "pleather" to them. The seat backs are very soft though along with the pouches.
    You're vehicle was built on 05/08/00. This vehicle has had 1 minor problem under warranty. Sounds like you got a great deal. All SD models are duragrain interior and are base models. The SE models is the top line with leather. These were the only 2 models in 2000. For 2001 they added an LE model, cloth and leather, which was a mid line model. The CD changers are from Alpine.
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    I checked under the passengers seat yesterday and it seems that the CD changer is already pre-wired and the mounts are there. Do you know if a aftermarket Alpine deck can be used? The stereo installers say that the Alpine S620 with a Blitzman interface cable is required. Do you know if this deck will adapt to the interface cable that is already under the seat?
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.
  • Tincup47,
    Thanks for the info on that '97!
    That one fell thru but we are now eyeing up a '98 with VIN SALJY1248WA750261. Can you tell us about any warranty work done. It is now at 50k and we are looking at it on Ebay. Carfax showed it had been passed around a couple times and listed a comment as 'Service Contract Claim' which we were wondering about.
    Is it OK to ask you more questions as we look for a Discovery for my wife? Do you have any general advice for finding a good deal on a well kept Discovery?
    Thank You so Much! :)
    That vehicle was built 9/10/97. Last reported mileage we have is 45,691. Up until that time nothing major had gone wrong. Feel free to ask anything, I may not be able to answer.