Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• everdieverdi Posts: 10
    Actually mary jane
    You must not have an ACE rover.
    Otherwise, you would see that it does handle that well. How i know this is that I push my Porsche to the limit on a off-ramp near my house and the fastest i can go is around 50mph. My disco can do it at 45-46 mph. Don't get me wrong, i don't fly around corners thinking i'm in a sports car, but it was worth the test.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    The 2003 Disco will get the 4.6 Engine from the Range Rover?
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Yes, the 2003 Discovery will get the 4.6, but it will be tuned different than in the Range Rover, making slightly less HP. It doesn't get the headers that were in the Range Rover due to clearance issues between the engine and frame.
  • The other day I went to Freelanderowners.com which led me to www.thelandroverchronicle.com They had a spy photograph of the 2003 Disco II in their news section. I just went there a minute ago and the site was having problems so keep checking. I was waiting on the 2002 HSE, but because of the frame factory problems, it was nixed. Now I'm waiting for the 2003 HSE. I was wondering if anyone else has had a crack at the navigation system on the Freeander or the Disco II. My local dealer has about 3 FL HSEs in stock, and just got a couple of factory equipped Disco SEs with the NAV in but I have not test driven any of those yet. I have heard everything from its "mindboggling" to "interesting" to use. I'm used to the map easy use of the Acura unit and I'm a little anxious about the Becker unit in the LRs. Also my dealer just got a couple of the Disco Westminster Special Editions in. Nav, black leather, grey wood trim, and different wheels make it look pretty sharp. Its about a $2200 extra to the standard SE.
  • awseymourawseymour Posts: 18
    Hi folks,
    I saw a rear cargo carrier that attaches to the hitch on a Discovery the other day. I looked at Roverparts and theirs says it does not fit the Discovery. Anyone know a good brand and who carries them? This is the rectangle "porch" looking thing hanging out the trailer hitch.
    Need one big enough for a snowblower or such.
    Thanks
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    Tincup:

Thanks for the response on the 2003 Disco 4.6. So no headers means less HP and tourque? Same Bosche engine management system? About same gas milage as 4.0? Is it worth for me to wait for the 2003?

Thanks
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,982
    Got any fresh snow to play in lately?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

The 4.6 makes less HP than it does in the RR, but it is still an increase over the 4.0. It is supposed to get 0-60 times to under 10 seconds. I imagine mileage will stay close to the same. There is at least one thing I cannot tell you yet that would have me waiting for the 2003 D2.
  • We also received the recall notice on our 2002 Discovery. Does anyone know if this needs immediate attention or whether I can wait until my first oil change?

Thanks,
  • serpico1serpico1 Posts: 30
    i was looking at a Pathfinder purchase in Canada as it is very common and legal for people who live close to the border..i live in NYC so i am 8 hrs from toronto by car...very cheap and warranty in honored in usa by nissan NAmerica..has anyone heard of someone buying in canada and driving back a disco II to the states..any warranty problems or other problems i might run into..its significantly cheaper with the currency exchange in Canada..any thoughts please..

ps..i am not going to play golf with my dealers in the usa, so i am not concerned about them smiling at me or giving me ice cream at the dealership..i just want to make sure that they will work on my car if need be..

best regards,

eric
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    Ohhhh yeah, Steve... we've had record breaking snowfall over the last 48 hours. I've been out BLASTING thru it in the Rover. In the side streets the snow is lying about 3' deep, pushed up to over 4' deep along the sides. With the diff locked, if I went over about 10mph the snow was blasting up over the hood and windshield, couldn't see a THING, I wound up with snow packed in around my headlights, the grille is packed, the back door won't open... what a hoot! Yesterday I was able to take two stranded women to church, picked up groceries for another, pulled or pushed a nearly infinite number of non-SUVs out of snow banks... and the list goes on!

Oh, and I pushed a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited out too! Those poor "lesser" 4WDS... gotta love that Rover.
  • marcus15marcus15 Posts: 3
    Since there's no Town Hall for Defenders (that I'm aware of), does anyone have any info on double cab Defenders?
    Can they be imported privately?
    Thanks,
    Miami Marc
    There is one, but it could use a shot in the arm:

Land Rover Defender 90/110

Steve
    Host

Steve, take a look here... this is looking out the garage at my brother's house. That's a snowmachine trailer out there.

There's always alternate ways to get to work! It snowed another almost 20 hours after this.

• expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    I don't know what your smog rules are in NYC, but a friend of mine bought a used Tahoe from a dealer here in California and 2 years later went for his smog renewal. Lo and behold it was a Canadian Tahoe and wasn't certified for California. He is now trying to return it to the Chevy dealer (with 50K+ miles on it) and get his money back.
  • c2soxc2sox Posts: 19
    Try www.discoweb.com and www.d-90.com. Discoweb is mostly for Discoveries, but they also have boards for the Defenders. And the D-90 source is an excellent site for Defenders. Hope this helps!

Al
  • Does anyone know when the 2003 Discovery will be available in the U.S.? The few articles I've seen on the subject state it will be available this summer (c. June), but all of these articles are from the U.K., not North America. So far, all I've seen with LRNA is newer models available late in the year, usually November/December. Is this year somehow different?

Charlie
    The 2003 Discovery will be on sale sometime in July, along with the New Range Rover.
  • dnscuddnscud Posts: 14
    before you degrade other vehicles remember that most of these people dont know the full capabilities of the vehicles they are driving
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    We have already discussed capabilities and most deficencies are in the vehicles themselves not the operator. I have first hand experience here at Donner Lake California. Our snows can get into the 26' range with the pack on the slopes now at 196". Near our cabin is a well used kids tobaggon run. Getting up to it is a real chore. Many a Tahoe, Explorer and Durango has attempted to climb it with no success. What sold me on LR was when I saw two elderly grandparents shuttling their grandchildren up the slope with their DII. The other vehicles just aren't capable.
    Since you haven't been around here for long you cannot know that this is sort of a long-standing joke here. Sorry to come across as abrasive; it was more in jest than anything else.

The TLC was my neighbor, he's been wheeling for maybe 30 years. The JGC was my sister-in-law and she NEEDS a little needling now and then. One of them uppity Alaskan wimmen. You know, the kind that win the Iditarod? A guy's gotta get his digs in where he can. ;)
  • jynewfjynewf Posts: 26
    I beg to differ. I think anyone is capable of getting themselves into trouble, regardless of what type of vehicle they are driving (including myself). I've seen plenty of people do stupid things in the snow/ice/mud in Vermont and "bank" their vehicles (including jeeps, toyotas, and yes, her majesty's Land Rovers as well).

If you've got road bias tires, or you don't have chains, or you don't carry enough momentum up a snowy incline, then no, you aren't going to make it up that hill, regardless of the type of vehicle you are driving. There are just too many people who think they are invincible because they have four wheel drive.

Now does that mean I think that all four wheelers are the same? No, of course not. We can talk all day about solid axles vs. IFS/IRS, ground clearance, breakover/approach/departure angles, wheel travel/articulation, lockers vs. brake actuated traction control, etc. until we are black and blue. Yes, a lifted Wrangler with front, center and rear lockers will be better than an RX300 with all season radials and some cheapo viscous coupled "4wd" system. But when you see some poor sap stranded in a ditch, I would place most of the fault on the driver, not on the vehicle.
  • kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    Hi all-

Nanuq- My husband and I are envious of you and your 'snow adventures'. We have been hoping for some serious snow to play in ourselves, but to no avail. Maybe next year. Loved the pics.

SEast MI Rovers--Got word yesterday that Earhard LR Farmington Hills may be putting on another off road event in May. If they're your dealer and are interested, give them a call. The course is supposed to be bigger than it was in October. We're hoping to go ourselves.

What do you guys think about the new LR trucks being composed of BMW parts? Is the 03 Disco going to feel like a Rover? I'm holding off on my decision until I can see and drive one in person, but I was curious to see what you thought.

We're compiling items for our "off road/long trip" First Aid Disco Kit. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad to see everone's in good form!

Kim
    The 03 Discovery II will have no more BMW parts than any other Discovery II. The chassis and suspension are identical to the 99-2002 models. The engine used is the 4.6 version of the same engine that powers it now (previously used in the 4.6 Range Rover). This is not a BMW engine, just another version of the pushrod engine used in all the earlier models. The new Range Rover is going to have a lot of BMW content, as it was designed while BMW owned the company. Any future Land Rover products will not have much BMW content, as they no longer own Land Rover.
    I have to agree. No matter how many lockers you have, or how much clearance you have, you *will* get stuck when you get too far out there. In my personal experience, the toys just let me get stuck a lot further out there... and it's a lot of work to get myself recovered. Not many people appreciate the joy in that.

See, there IS value in the RX300... you'll only be 20' offroad when you bog down. (evil wink)
  • dnscuddnscud Posts: 14
    i do love your responses. i currently own a tlc, but learned to drive , as a 12 year old, in a new 1971 88. my dad bought new. i would love to off-road with you guys, but as of now, free time is not something i get very much of. iam hoping that between bmw and ford, the quality issues of the land rovers will be addressed. then the cost will be well worth it.
  • agreed. Those that say they can't get stuck in their rig just haven't tried hard enough :)
    It's like canoeing - if you aren't swimming you aren't playing hard enough (or like bikes and headers I suppose, eh, Nanuq?)

Steve
    Host

I see we're ALL Alaskans here. If you're not crashing or breaking gear, then you're just not having enough fun.

Okay, story time. Who has been the MOST stuck here?? Let's have the details. I'll open with:

I was driving over a set of snowdrifts two winters ago. The wind had been howling for a week, it was way below zero, about 10PM and I was wheeling just like it was in the dunes. I had crawled up over a humongous long drift marvelling at the traction, when suddenly *blam* I broke thru. But only my TIRES broke thru... leaving me resting on my frame rails with a little more than 4' of snow beneath my tires... and perhaps 100' of snowdrift in both directions. Man you talk about a lot of digging, it looked like the Panama Canal before I got down to terra firma. I made a long launch pad behind the Rover, then started going fore and aft to build a tough surface, then I got all the way forward, locked the diffs, and LAUNCHED backward, breaking trail with the hitch receiver and rear bumper. It took many many many attempts at this, and tons of shoveling, before I finally clawed my way back out of there.

Okay... who else has been having fun??
  • denver8denver8 Posts: 42
    Met my first high school sweetheart while stuck in a ditch. This story goes back a few years. I just turned 16 and bought an old 73 blazer with 93,000 miles on it. late on friday nite my friends brought some girls along and we were driving around out on the dirt country roads and it was real slick from the rain. I slid sideways off the road into a ditch. While waiting for one friend to run back to town and get help, being the chivalrous person that I am I gave my coat to one of the girls. She was able to see past my poor driving skills and we dated for about 2 years.