Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Thanks for the comforting words, as a new Rover owner I needed that. We had the gaskets replaced during the certification process. I was going to say that she has been running great but based on your response it seems more as if "my Rover runs like absolute hell and leaks and has parts falling off of it constantly." I thought that I wanted to keep it but now "I think I'm going to just park it and walk away!!!"

Thanks for imparting your wisdom

Brett
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    Ahhhh you're a wise man, you learn quickly! I've learned the hard way NEVER EVER to comment on how good your truck's running. One night I had the Lady Cynthia with me, we had just come out of a movie, it was 1AM and we were slowly, gently tooling around the block enjoying the evening. I casually mentioned "Gee it's running good..." and WHAM!!!! Just like that (snap) it quit running.

Coincidence? Not on your life. So yes, my truck runs like hell... but I love her anyway. Sometimes.

Regards, -Bob
    I just remembered... a gent that lives close by me has a SWB Rangie, and he's the truly wise one. He has a perpetual Lord Lucas repellant attached to his Rover as a sticker:

"The parts falling off this truck are of the highest English quality"

I bet he has ZERO trouble with it! Hmmmmm, where can I get one of those...?
  • I have a 2000 DII.
    Item 1: The "crunch" is the ABS and traction control coming on. If you have your foot on the brake while your starting it gives you a good buzz through the pedal.
    Item 2: I have a clacking sound on cold days from behind the glove box. No luck finding it.
    Item 3: I get the same thing, about 1 mile down the road, a thump and a shift and nothing after that. Once in a while a clank from the drive train while its upshifting. No problems found by dealer.
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    I know that I will probably jinxs myself, but here it goes. Third oil change already, 10000 miles of trouble-free service. I don't even know my dealers first name yet. I am sure glad that the Germans took over and fixed this British mess that they called Rover. (from some of the posts of pre-2000 models). Hopefully Ford won't mess it up too bad with their Ford engines and trannies from their sorry Exploders like they did to Jaguar. Crawled under it last night for my weekly check (your oil leak and fluid posts had me worried) and still not a drop. The undercarriage looks like the day it came out of the factory. Gas mileage is still great, 16 mpg, and the power is awesome. I have one question though. When a person buys a permanent 4X4 as this. That can crawl up a 45 degree snow packed mountain with ease. Ford a 30" deep stream and keep on trucking, why are they posting about a few squeaks? If they wanted a smooth riding, quiet, take the kids to soccer "car" they should of bought a MDX, ML320, or Lexus. Lord Lucas be Dammed!!! Most of the electronics that I care about have "BOSCH" stamped on it.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Ford was the best thing that ever happened to Jaguar, check out J.D. Powers or any consumer reliability survey.
    Everyone has opinions ...and elbows. I personally think the Disco was a step backward for Rover. I also prefer tube amps over transistors and albums over CDs. Technology for its own sake is not always a good thing.

Likewise, I draw correlations between pride of ownership and what it "costs" me to keep the thing I own working. I could drive a flawless Toyota Land Cruiser and have umpteen trouble-free miles, or I could pick a Series Rover. One will be an appliance and the other, I'll develop a relationship with. One I could trade in and not blink, the other will cost a few tears to hand over the keys some day.

The people in my life with whom I have relationships are the ones that matter to me. The "appliance" people are the ones who perform a function but have zero input... good or bad. They're just... "there" doing their duties, often flawlessly.

Many vehicles are just... "there". Others assert themselves. My wife asserts herself. Sometimes she surprises me (good or bad). I cherish that. I wouldn't marry an "appliance" wife that simply said "Yes Dear" all the time, I like the surprises. They are the fabric from which our memories are cut.

Same with my Rover. Same with my friend's XKE. How many times have we NOT gone somewhere because of that obstinate, leaking piece of British junk? Plenty. But there's been lots of times we've sat around with tools working on it... and those times are lots better than the lost events we didn't attend.

In my book a 70s Ducati Desmo is lots better than a spanking new SS. The new one will run circles around the old one, in every way... but the old one will talk to you. There's value in that.

Just my $.02
    I was getting my information about Fords' acqusitions from a British car dealership. They sell Rovers and Jags. The salesman that I talked to had nothing good to say about the new Ford Jaguars. I guess he would agree with nanuqs' comments. He stated that essentially they are just a Taurus, Continental, or Thunderbird with a Jag nameplate. The quality and reliability might be impressive now, but a Ford Jag just isn't the same. At least BMW retained most of the old Rover and Disco style and ruggedness and increased the quality and reliability. I was distrubed to hear that Fords' Explorer division head was sent over to Rover to see what Ford parts that they could incorporate into the Rover line. With all of Fords problems lately, another recall on stalling just today, I would rather own something that Ford did not have any say in. If Ford cars and trucks are so high in reliability why is their resale so low and recall rate so high? I feel fortunate to have bought rig with a BMW and Rover nameplate on it.
    Nanuq, Rover has always been a dream for me, such as a Mercedes E class, so the introduction of the Disco and the C class at least lets some of us financially disadvantaged to stick our toes in the waters of the affluent.
    Some time you should go for a ride offroad in an older Series Rover. What a hoot! They're creaky and slow and obnoxious, but what memories. And the price of admission there is 1/4 the price of a Disco... but you'll make up the 3/4 in the cost of the tools you don't yet own. (stifled grimace)

Did you know Ford also owns several other marques in its upscale holdings? Jaguar and Rover are simply the most recent. Some of the names will surprise you.
    Luckily I have been a mechanic for 35 years so I chuckle every time I hear complaint of a squeak or mysterious vibration or "it just doesn't feel right" complaint. I do know that Ford also owns Volvo so I stayed away from those old reliable machines a long time back. The people on this forum must be new to the SUV craze and the problems associated with functionality and comfort. My old Burb and Trooper were great vehicles, but to keep them on the road was a great challenge. Oil and exhaust leaks, bad mileage, squeaks, warped rotors, bad trannies, I can go on. They should be greatful that they have chosen such a fine line of "REAL" 4X4s' that can go the distance. Don't worry, my tool box is ready for anything that Rover can throw at me.
  • http://members.aol.com/Spfnever/cupholders.jpg

I went to my local Land Rover dealer today to put my order in for a 2002 Discovery SE. When I arrived I was horrified to see what "someone" thinks is acceptable in a $40,000.00 vehicle. Now, I am not much of a coffee drinker, and I certainly feel compassion towards "a fellow human being's addiction" to caffine, but I don't understand why, I/we, have to be subjected to these ugly, oversized, coffee/drink cup holders slapped down in the middle of the Discovery's console! This is ludicrous! When you see these ugly, cheap, gaudy monsters for yourself,(click on link above)you will surely want to hurl! For goodness sake, these things put me in mind of Dolly Parton's chest! Forgive me fellow Town-Hall-ites, I'm sick to my stomach! Needless to say, I did NOT place an order for a 2002 Discovery as of yet! I need some time to review the merits of having to spend an additional $550.00 for a 2001 console plus an additional $170.00 for installation to have these mocha-slop holders removed for good!

As always,

Regards to All,

the cupholders are held on by one screw, easily removable. I'm sure you could find something to trim out the small holes so you wouldnt have to replace the whole console shell. Unfortunately, you are in the minority on the cupholders. The call center is being deluged by owners wanting to know how they can add them to their older disco's.
    I guess you haven't heard what the BMW influence had upon the new Range Rover. Replacing the engine with the BMW eight,and changing to independent suspension. The purists are going to howl. The only Jaguar that uses a Ford designed and built engine is the new X-type, all the rest are Jaguar designed, even the S-type. I have worked for Land Rover under both the BMW and Ford regime, and Ford has done more positive things in one year than BMW ever attempted with the marque.
    Also, as a mechanic, you should know that the last person who knows anything about what makes a car tick is your typical car salesman. Even the X-type, which shares the highest percentage of Ford components, has less than 20%.
    And as much as purists like to criticize the changes in their beloved products, these are driven by market forces. Auto manufacturing is a business and as such the products need to change to stay competitive in an ever competitive market place. 10 years ago, there were less than 20 SUV's marketed in the states, today there are about 70, most very good products that meet the needs of the majority of consumers. Without Ford's financial backing Land Rover would wither and die, as Jaguar and Aston Martin would have.
  • Tincup, No, the cup holders are held in place by TWO screws and two nipples to keep them from sliding out of place. To simply remove them is "gonna" leave a lot of holes! I guess I could trim or hide the holes with some "band aids." Yes, I know that I am in the non coffee drinking minority, but coffee or not you guys have to agree that maybe, perhaps, some sort of different, more intelligent solution would have been more tasteful! Don't get me wrong, my wife loves them!
    Regards To All,
    I am glad that my wife didn't see your post. She would of loved these cup holders for her mochas and 44 oz. slurpees. I am glad that I have my 2000 with the tiny models. They only hold a small bottle of water at best. This keeps all of the drinks out of my rig. My 2000 Chevy truck had grande' cup holders like these and 2 weeks into ownership she stained my whole carpet with a giant Starbucks coffee. My van has numerous McDonald shake, Coke, and Slurpee stains. You could dye a shirt with a strawberry Slurpee.
  • bakcabakca Posts: 33
    The new cup holders certainly look more substantial than the optional ones that came with my '01 Disco. I don't "drink and drive" too often so the in dash set suit me fine. Larger water bottles have a sport cap or regular cap so I lay those down next to the shift lever on a road trip.

Tincup, my comment to LR would be to include the new holders and the screws so that the owner can install them if they choose (or have the dealer do it for them). Then everyone could be happy. Those that want them get them and those that don't can use the space as they wish. The console is a better spot for a cell phone anyway.

Besides, every person I see in the AM holds onto their coffee as they drive, most while using their hands free phone (this is southern california after all). None of them use the giant cup holders that ford and chevy provide them so LR should make them an option. Anyone who walks away from a Disco over the lack of a giant cup holder should probably be looking at minivans anyway (no disrespect to you 02discovery).
  • Hey Nanuq, I couldn't agree with you more about those tube amps! Oooo, Warm!
    Regards,
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,059
    I don't know though - sounds a little clipped in high end. I tell that to all my audiofile friends - drives them nuts :-)

• Hey Nanuq, I couldn't agree with you more about those tube amps! Oooo, Warm!
    Regards,
  • jackickjackick Posts: 12
    Hey Fellow Rover Buddies,

Just an FYI to those of you with 2000 Dicso IIs- I had a minor front end collision (minor for me, not for the Blazer I hit!!!) and shortly thereafter noticed some coolant dripping near the front passenger side wheel. Took it into the body shop and they confirmed the coolant leak but believed it couldn't be from the minor collision, so they sent me to my dealer (who is fabulous, btw) and after looking at it for about half a minute, the dealer rep said they would replace the radiator under warranty. Well, as you all know, nothing in this life is free, and as a suspicious consumer, I asked the dealer guy why they were so willing to replace it, I said, "Have you had problems with this make and model previously?" and he smiled and said, "We have seen a few so we are replacing them with an updated design." So I got the new one in and the leak is gone- but I wanted to leave a message for those of you who might notice a leak on your garage floor. Since it is not a safety issue, there is no recall, but it's good to know.

BTW- some people have mentioned in past posts about hot air coming from their vents even with the climate control off- we solved it by lowering the temp control before shutting the system off. This has helped greatly.

Still love the truck after 8000 miles, and after driving two 2001 Disco IIs as loaners during service, I can vouch for the fact that no two are the same! Each has its own quirks and personality. I love my truck and am so glad that we got it! And we haven't even driven it in the hellish Minnesota winter yet! (Heated seats are absolutely a gift from God!)