Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• bakcabakca Posts: 33
    3suvguy,

I think you meant MSRP not invoice unless that puppy was loaded.

The 2002 MSRP is $37,795 so a $1200 bump or about 3% would put the 2003 at $38,995.

For those considering the DII, my 2001 is 3 weeks shy of a year and has over 20k miles. I have been to the dealer about 6 times, for oil changes and scheduled service :-). The dealership provides fantastic service. The people working there love these trucks and truly believe in customer service.

If only the windshield weren't such a magnet for rocks and all other road debris...
  • At my local center they have had a few come in in the last week (Frisco Tx). They look good with the new light setup. The 2003 DII SE was base priced at $38,350 and the 2003 DII S was 34,850 I think. Not a big jump although I did notice that the first three scheduled maintenance visits were free. I went over and checked a 2002 and they did not have that listed. The extra horsepower seems well worth the bump in price. Now if only they would put a better nav system in than that wacky Becker unit it would be an easier sell. My wife likes the pretty maps and ease of use in the MDX and X5, and now she wants to wait on the Volvo XC90 (the car like rides are'nt helping either). Its going to be a tough sell but I've got my fingers crossed for our test drive of an 2003 DII HSE when they come in.
  • I was quoted $150 dollars for an owners manual from Dallas Land Rover! Any suggestions for finding one cheaper? I bought my Disco used, and it didn't come with a manual.
  • These owners manuals and the video's that come with these vehicle's are readily available on E-Bay. Prior to purchasing my Discovery, I acquired both video's and owners manuals off of E-Bay. You should have no problem finding them there.You should be able to get an owners manual for around thirty dollars or less.
    Regards,
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The quote for the manual you got was for a complete owners wallet that had a leather binder, service documents, etc. That is actually discontinued. There will be a paper manual available, P/N LRN2001DSCWP (for 2001) that has a suggested list price of $25.00. Your dealer can place an order for you and it will be sent when available.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    ...unless what you're really looking for is the Workshop manual. For my '96 Disco there are three separate manuals; the Workshop alone costs between $80 - $100 on eBay. But it's well worth it!
  • Had a brake job at 34k, brakes still squeal at low speeds. Back to dealer, he deglossed the rotors but said "well, it's a heavy truck and you'll have squeaky brakes". Is that a valid response, or should I get a 2nd opinion?

'99 DII, 35k flawless miles.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    There is a guy on discoweb that has photos of a 2003 SE Disco.
    Nope, they shouldn't squeal. I'm on my 4th set of pads (72k miles) and never a squeal yet.

There's all kinds of stuff available to make them stop squealing. As easy as it is to change out the pads yourself, you could try pulling the pads and using some of that goo that goes on back of the pads. It might do the trick!

As an afterthought, how many miles since the pads were installed? Maybe they just need to "bed in" to the rotors to get a better fit, then they'll get quiet?

LORD LUCAS DISCLAIMER:
    This lump of British iron is the most wonderful (whoops, HORRENDOUS) arrangement of well thought out (whoops JUNKY) parts I've ever had the pleasure (whoops AGONY) to crawl beneath. She runs like an absolute dream (whoops CRIPPLED ARMADILLO) and has never (whoops CONTINUOUSLY) let me down. She drips lube (gotta keep this one) on my garage floor but that's okay... "if it ain't leaking, it's empty" applies here.

With tongue firmly in cheek and Lord Lucas repelled for another month, -Bob
  • dodgeram10dodgeram10 Posts: 74
    They have constant fluid leaks from the engine,transmission,front & rear diffs & transfer case. They also have constant electrical problems, If you have one in a hot climate like New Mexico the heater case inside the dash warps due to the heat this is the only vehicle that has ever had this kind of problem. If you want a well made vehicle get a Ford suv, If you want a British Yugo get a Land Rover. That way your vehicle will be in the shop almost as much you drive it. Maybe now that Ford owns Land Rover they can help them make better quality vehicles.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    {cough}troll{cough}

I'm board, so I think I'll pop into this friendly topic and insult everyone's marque of choice. Lame.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    I saw and test drove a 2003 Disco on 7/6/02. It was awesome! The 4.6 engine with 20% more tourque really has done the trick. It now has the "get up and go" when getting on the freeway (for a 5K lbs truck). Very peppy around town. Here is some marketing info I got from Land Rover. They still do not have all of their final information on pricing even though they have the cars. There are 3 models now: S, SE and HSE and then seven passenger seating is S7, SE7 and HSE7. Base price S-$34,350, S7-$35,350, SE-$38,350, SE7-$39,350, HSE-$40,350, HSE7-$41,350. About $1,100 price increase over 2002. For the $1,100 you get the Range Rover 4.6L, Exterior face lift (That looks awesome!) New interior colors, FREE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE (Big Plus since prepay maint. package from Land Rover is about $500), Quality Actions: 700+ new Parts. All three models get different style wheels. The HSE gets the 6 spoke 18" wheels as seen on the Land Rover WWW. The SE gets the 18" wheels that came on the 2002 and the S gets 16" 6 spoke wheels.

Kevin
    Are the 2 new interior colors in addition to or the only colors available? Is the center diff lock standard or an option?
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    Sporin from the Daewoo Leganza forum and back for another visit, Dodgeram10. Dodge, I thought we were done with you a while back? Now you are praising a Ford Exploder as your rig of choice? Your diatribe might be valid with the early 99s' and below, but my 2000 is a dream. 18K and nary a weep from anything. I live where the temps are often over 100 degrees for 30 days on end and no warpage of anything. Maybe you should check your facts, get current and go back to your praising of the famous, tranny and engine and A/C and rear end and etc. etc. Cherokees and leave us alone.
    Sporin, what bashing Daewoo is no fun now that they are history? Are you trying to draw a comparision here with Dodgeram10 that LR=Daewoo=Yugo? Ok! Love to talk to you. We hope that Ford doesn't mess LR up too much as they have with Volvo and Jag. Did you see the latest 5 mph crash results lately?
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    You must have misread me. I was calling Dodgeram10 a troll for coming in hear and flaming the nice Rover owners for no reason. I I hate trolls and people who post flame-bait. it wrecks otherwise pleasent discussions.

I am a HUGE Rover fan and hoping to buy a used Disco in the future. I've been planning a Series III 109 project for years, and am a regular at www.discoweb.org. Scroll up a ways and you will see my post of my lovely day at the Land Rover Offroad Driving School... pictures too.

Clearly, I'm not the enemy here.

btw... I'm not sure I've ever been in the Daewoo topics. I know there were some Daewoo owners in the Passat topic back when I owned one who were trying to convince us Passaters that we wasted our money because a Leganza was "just as good for less money." :-)

Ancient history.
    mrwhipple:

There are only two interior colors now. Beige and Black.

Kevin
    A close friend of mine just traded in her Dodge Ram because it blew its second transmission in 12 months, and had to be towed home 120 miles from where the electrical system failed. Her boyfriend just did the same, trading in on a replacement Dodge Ram because he had gone thru 3 transmissions... but his truck luckily didn't die that far from home.

Let's see, is this a familial, genetic flaw? Or just coincidence? Let's continue...

My youngest sister-in-law just traded in her 1-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Why? Transmission died (yes, twice) and it went into "I'm dead so I'll limp home" mode at the top of Turnagain Pass. The towtrucks made some BIG money on her that day. Out of pure frustration, she threatened the dealer and they let her trade it back in! And what did she get? A Dodge Durango. And it's ALREADY giving her transmission problems, with less than 1,000 miles on it.

Hmmmmmmm. Seems to be a genetic flaw. Let's look further:

My newest sister-in-law traded in her Jeep Grand Cherokee because she had gone through (only) one transmission but also a front axle and a transfer case, in two years.

Hmmmmmm. It's looking pretty bad for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Any other misadventures? Further...

My eldest sister-in-law has a Chrysler minivan and at 70k miles it's on the 3rd transmission and rattles like a coffee can full of bearings. But it IS paid off.

In the meantime, I've put 60k miles on my Rover and it has never EVER failed me, hiccuped, dripped or done anything even remotely bizarre. She will be paid off in 2 months, whereas my sisters in law now have payments for durations of 5 years each. Gladly, MY five years of payments have got me a vehicle I can trust, which will last many more years.

I personally wouldn't take a Dodge product if it was given to me, free and clear. It's not bigotry, it's concern for having to walk home from the places I like to go. Yes, that big curvaceous front end is handsome, but it means nothing when you're concerned about what lies beneath the sheetmetal.

Best regards, -Bob
  • charlie2k2charlie2k2 Posts: 15
    ...I said I'd post the MSRP for the 2003 Discos as soon as I got them (was supposed to be on the 6th). It looks reasonably close to what others are getting, even with the differences in areas. Here in Anaheim Hills the numbers look like this:

S-model, 35095

SE-model, 39095

HSE-model, 41945

These are for the standard seating (not seven) models. Like I said, pretty close in cost, but they do enjoy charging us a little more down here in Orange County. I guess they figure we're snootier and deserve it! ;-)

FYI, Charlie2K2

Thanks for the info on that. Appreciate it.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Wonderful post.

Best time I had in the '03 Rangey I just sold?

Pulling a smartaleck from Gainesville's Durango out of the mud. In high range. To prove a point.

HAHA! :)

Bill
    Surrounded by Rovers and lovin it!
  • kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    6,002 miles later, we are home from our trip west towing our travel trailer. Thought it might be helpful to some of you to hear of our truck experiences.

The wind played a huge factor on towing ability and mileage. If the truck had to go head into any wind above 10mph or even a wind coming at her from the side, we drove in 3rd at around 55-60 mph. Mileage was then lower...around 5.5-7 mpg. If no wind and flat to hilly terrain, we kept her in drive and she would do anything from 65-75 mph with no problem. Mileage would range from 7-9.5 mpg which we thought was okay. We were pleased with this performance being that the trailer weighs 5,000 plus pounds. Probably towing would be best if the trailer would be under 4,500 lbs.

We towed the trailer up and down some pretty serious elevations and grades and although she did 'okay' we and the truck were fairly stressed out by the time we were done and think we might buy a used Rangey with more towing capacity for the next big trip. By saying she did 'okay' I mean that she made up every 9,000 ft mountain and the lowest speed we came to was 25 mph. We were just happy to make it.

Before we left we tried to acquire an extra trans cooler but were told that LR doesn't make one and no one we talked to was quite sure what to do with a Disco that needed one. Ultimately it was decided that it wouldn't be needed. WRONG. Our trans oil light came on during one of our toughest climbs, so we had to park it for a while on the side of the mountain waiting for everything to cool off. We will now have the trans flushed and filter replaced and will be looking to have an additional cooler installed.

In an earlier message Nanuq, you mentioned that the brakes shouldn't squeal. Mine didn't til toward the end of the trip. Now when they are used enough to get warm, they squeal at stops. During the trip, I felt the rotors to make sure there was no uneven wear and found them smooth except for the outer edge which is higher than the rest of the rotor, as if it's not getting touched by the pads. Is that normal, or have the pads been installed incorrectly? (They've been on for about 12,000 mi.) What type/brand of pad should I replace them with and how many miles are they good for? What goo are you talking about?

All in all, we thought the truck did well with what she had to deal with. I really enjoyed the looks from other LR owners and campers pulling their trailers. Too cool!!! The scenery was beautiful and we knew that we could go just about anywhere we wanted to in the truck to look for wildlife and less accessible treasures in Montana and Wyoming.

Hopefully some will find this info useful.

Kim
  • bilpitbilpit Posts: 1
    hey guys, need help!! i have a mitsu montero sport with 13000 miles...great but time to change it....i like the disco any idea how much will it cost, the base model if there is a base model any specials rebate etc etc will go for 2002 hoping to get a better deal. Buried in the Mitsu!! AND how is the reliability? kind of cold feet about it..HELP!PLEASE
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    If you're "buried" in the Mitsu, I doubt that you're going to get above water by buying any new car. But something tells me you aren't looking for gratuitous financial advice :-)

Try looking at the True Market Value and the Incentives and Rebates pages while waiting for feedback from the owners here. Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    Nanuq-

Brakes were just really glazed, all better now. Thanks anyway.

Truck has 'acquired' some leaks, (power steering and oil) looking into how bad & the fix it bill. If it's going to be extensive, may sell it & buy either 03 Disco or a used Rangey. Would like to have one of everything LR in the drive, so it's hard to decide.

Kim
    You know the old adage... "If it's not leaking, then it's empty". It's sort of tongue in cheek, but also not something I really worry about. Take a look at your power steering hoses up front... mine take a twist on the hose clamps twice a year to keep them from oozing. Oil leaks... hmmmmmmm. Take a twist on your oil pan bolts. How about the valve covers? Where's it coming from? You may still have some cork gaskets and going to rubber will solve it once and for all. It did with mine.

Let me know how it comes along! And it's nice hearing about your trip. Yeah! Too bad you didn't come just a wee bit further north. :)

-Bob
    A dealer told me they would deal for a couple of thousand under MSRP on '02's with special APR, 2.9 or 3.9. Can't remember which though. But no dice on the '03's
    MRWhipple:

I am picking up my '03 Disco next week. I was able to get a discount of $1000 below MSRP. Silver with Black interior and Cold Climate. I was lucky to get a discount on the '03. Most dealerships are staying at MSRP.

Kevin
    That's a great deal right now. None of them are budging. What area are you in?
    mrwhipple:

I am in Northen California (San Francisco Bay Area), but I am driving 3 1/2 hours south to get this deal, because they have the price and color and equipment I am looking for. When I first started working with this dealer, he was going to do $1,500 back of MSRP for a 2002. I suspect he will do $1,500 back of MSRP in a few months. This really upsets some of the other dealers in California. But at the end of the day, I need to take care of my wallet first.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's a really nice ride.

There is definitely a difference in the braking and suspension improvements with the '03. Sharper braking and a smoother ride. Not that the older models were rough or anything. I test drove an '02 right after and it was noticible. The bigger engine had "get up & go" and was great on the freeway for passing juice.

It's too bad they don't offer the Bahama Beige interior anymore. That black/cream combination is a little on the light side. Looks like a a little too much cleaning time involved with that color. The black interior is nice. The very light gray from above the door line on up helps open it up. It's not as claustrophobic as most black interiors.

Enjoy!