Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    I have had no problem at all keeping my back seats cool. Of course we live in Alaska, and that may have something to do with it.

*grin*
  • Does anyone have any information concerning the quality of the 03 Dicovery's brush guards? Is the all steel or soft foam a better brush guard? Which grill guard do you think would be stronger? Thanks!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    lol, Nanuq. I'll give you about 3 more weeks until you can get out and bust some berms.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The modular steel brush bar is stronger. The foam covered protection bar meets european pedestrian impact standards, so will bend more readily.
  • I own an 03 Discover SE and live in Texas. I went round and round with this issue. If you only use the rear seat occasionally, then you won't need a rear a/c. However, if you have small children or use the back to carry a dog, you will want a rear a/c given the Texas summers. It was only 750.00 more for the option on the a/c, so I went for it and have used it often and I can promise you, my rear passengers, including my baby, are very greatful. The problem with only the front vents is that they are not very large. While the air is cold, there just isn't as much coming out as with some other makes. Hope this helps.
    Yep we're already down to 35F at night here, and the colors are changing FAST. I hiked out to Hidden lake today (between the Ramp and the Wedge) and it's way late Fall up there. The fireweed is all bloomed out, so it's coming! And fast... the geese and reindeer are all herded up and moved away. I think it's going to be an early, and cold winter.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Nanuq (and others from Seattle):

Do any of you know of any apple cider mills in the Seattle area? Web searches are coming up empty.

Coming from Michigan, this was part of our fall routine - visiting the mills for cider and fresh donuts. As it starts to rain a bit and the nights are getting colder, I'm remembering back to fond trips in the '96 DI to cider mills around MI.

Thanks and Happy Rovering, wasko
  • Hey Tex, I'm also from Texas and was shopping around for a 2003 SE/HSE. I was wondering where you got your's and if you were able to get it under the MSRP? Also, what extras did you opt for?
    thanks for any help, Joe
    Hey it's good to hear from you! I don't know of any cider mills, but... try the tour at Chateau Ste Michelle. Wooohooooooo what a place! You can get some wine and cheese and pastry and wander the grounds for picnics.

It was a nippy bike ride this morning, but it has warmed up to 45F again. Not quite time for the studs yet!

-Bob
  • I've had a '01 Disco for over a year now with rear ac. I live in Houston and summers are really hot & humid. If you have children or dogs, you should really consider getting the rear ac. On another note, has anyone had any SLS problems. The rear end of my Disco has been jolting from side to side like a roller coaster. I have seen the SLS light come on before and had the dealer check it out, but they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. Today, the SLS (orange & red) lights came on and the jolting started. This happens when the car is stationary, but not when the vehicle is rolling?? Any one have any similar experiences? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Odiopus
  • I purchased mine from LandRover Dallas. I shopped around with all the Land Rover dealers in Texas and the best I could get was $700 below MSRP for 03, SE no extra options. One of the problems is Land Rover Dallas, Frisco and Austin are all under the same ownership so its virtually impossible to get them to bid against each other. If you are looking to lease, I had some luck w/leasing companies getting $1200 off MSRP. Ultimately, I decided against that and went through the dealer. Given the past propensity for needing repairs, I wanted to have an advocate on my side (salesman) if necessary. I've run into situations with other dealers (BMW) and my salesman has been wonderful in running interference for me whenever necessary. Good luck. And by the way, the 03 is great.
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,788
    It is great that Land Rover finally did something about the engine and minor extrior and interior change on 2003 Discovery II. Again, they should pay more attention to rear passenger access. I test drove on when it was redesigned in 1999. I didn't like the narrow access for rear passenger and without a real 3rd row seat like MDX and Explorer.
  • hello All, I am 48 hours away from signing on the dotted line with my local dealer on a 03 HSE7 with ace,rear a/c, for $41,600. Any feedbacks on this deal greatly appreciated. Also hear that LR(ford!!!!!ugh) 04 or05 Discos will be redesigned (not sure that is a good thing) This may be the last chance to get on board a new Disco before the new sheetmetal no longer makes a Disco what a Disco has endearingly been for so many years.
  • Are the [Union Jack + Land Rover + Stars & Stripes] decals on the rear windows of 2003 Disco's "standard equipment"? Does anyone know the reasoning behind them? (I think it adds to the vehicle's personality)
  • I wish all you people who are complaining about 3rd. row seats, needing rear air, etc. would realize and remember that the LR is first and foremost an off-road truck - NOT a damn VAN for soccer-moms. It has a short wheelbase for a reason. And who the hell goes off-roading with 7 people on board? If you need a van - get one, and leave LR alone with your complaints - it's perfect the way it is.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Dead right.
  • But how will they let everybody know about their active lifestyle with a minivan?

Also, you cant let anybody know you're rich with a minivan.

Gotta have the SUV!
  • if you need to seat 7 in comfort...AND drive an SUV at the same time, check out this vehicle. It is perfect for you!

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Ford-Excursion/

• jlzjlz Posts: 5
    I am 2001 DII (LE) owner for about 15 months.
    So far (16K) no major problems, except excessive
    wear of both front tires. Judging from the wear pattern,
    looks like alignment problem. "Service advisor"
    suggested rotating tires (for a $45 fee)...
    I know it's contrary to what the book says, but I run my tires inflated to 50psi front and back. They're Nokia Hakkapeliitta LT10s (or however the heck you spell it!) and they're rated up to 85psi. I still have great handling, the ride is harsher than stock, and my weird treadwear issues are over.

The book calls for 28psi front and 38psi rear, if I remember. That's partly to guarantee understeer in corners, probably to minimize rollover potential in abrupt lane changes. When I still had my stock tires I bumped the fronts up to 34psi and the rears stayed at 38. I had better handling, better mileage and the treadwear was better. Yours might likewise benefit. But you're on your own as far as risk goes... I'm only offering opinion.

The alignment should be about zero toe. I believe mine is set 1/8" toe-out from straight ahead.

When you have it jacked/blocked up to rotate the tires yourself, check your brake pads. I go thru a set of front pads every 15-17k miles. They are a snap to replace, it's a very gratifying job. When you swap your tires front to back (same side) make sure to reset your pressures.

Best regards, -Bob
    Picture courtesy of Expedition Exchange

• The Goodyears really stink. Most people have very bad wear with those tires, especially cupping and balding. I understand the Pirelli ST is much better alternative. They are also much cheaper than the Michelin 4x4 XPC tires. A direct fit for both the 18" and 16" rims.
  • Several years ago, I had the Disco on my short list, and even took one home for the weekend (courtesy of Newport Beach LR), but decided against it due to the head liner above the windscreen coming down so far, as to obstruct vision. I would have to lean over to see an overhead traffic lite( I'm 6'4", and long bodied). Has this been corrected in the 2003 model, or is it still a problem? I've always wanted one, and they are supremely capable in the snow, which is essential for me. With the increase in engine size, it certainly becomes a possible choice again.(2004)
    Cheers
    Pat
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    That's the only reason you nixed the Disco? What do you drive now?
  • No, front seat fit was not the only reason I nixed the Disco; that was in 99, and there were reliability issues (if one was to believe the various forums). I got a MB ML430, and it has been reasonably satisfactory, but the quality of fit and finish are not up to MB standards, or LR for that matter. Fortunately, it's on a lease, so I will walk away from it in 2004. It hasn't held it's value, as it's almost down to the guaranteed buy back figure now, so MB will take a bath on it. I have always sort of wanted a LR, and it may happen then, if Ford doesn't screw it up. My short list also includes the Volvo XC90, 4Runner, VW Touareg ( V10 TDI), and the Subaru VDC Outback. I live in the mtns of NC - lots of snow, so any of these will likely do the job. Thanks for your interest. BTW, you didn't answer my original question.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • The problem you describe, "Mr. Kullenberg" was addressed for the Discovery II model in 1999. The top of the windshield was raised 1.2 inches to allow for a better upward view, but that may not be enough for you. You may need to just stay further back to be able to see the light better.

I'm now at 30,000 miles with my 00 DII and have yet to experience any sort of problem. It's going to the Dealer however to have some "off-road improvement" modifications made. And... I still love the bloody thing !!!!
  • Thanks for the feedback, that's the sort of info I'm looking for. The Disco II wasn't avail., when I was looking, and now, since I moved in 99, the nearest LR dealer is at least 2 hours away.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • A futherance of the above discussion: another forum ( which shall remain nameless) which is primarily UK owners, has a discussion of a 2004 redesign which would include new engines and transmissions. They talk about V8's from the Jaguar line and 5 and six speed auto trans. Any info here on all that?
    Cheers
    Pat
  • jlzjlz Posts: 5
    Thanx for the info about tires. Feels good to
    get some expert advice when playing by
    the rules (28/36 psi) starts hurting loved
    ones. :)

I already planned to replace GY with some better
    tires when they wear out. But that moment come
    little bit earlier than I expected. :( I was
    eyeing Michelins, but now I am going to shop
    around a little bit more.
  • I just put a set of Michelin Cross Terrains on my ML, and so far so good. Nokian makes a tire called the WR which is a winter rated tire, with a long tread life guarantee, and it comes in the Disco size.
    Cheers
    Pat