Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Send me an Email with the last eight of your vehicle VIN number and the name of the center you are dealing with. I can't promise anything, but I will look into it as far as my position allows.
  • bakcabakca Posts: 33
    I have over 34k miles on my '01 DII. I changed the brakes at 30k since they were getting close. The dealer in Mission Viejo, CA has been great. They definitely seem to care about their customers. I had a couple of small oil leaks early on but nothing since. Oh yeah, and the clock light went out (fixed under warranty). After 18 months of ownership I would do it over again.

On another note, it seems Ford is trying to boost profits by cross selling Jags and LR's together under one roof. I really don't see the point. I can't picture the LR group selling XK8's or the Jag group in safari shorts.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=19713&section=BUSINESS&year=2003&month=1&day=9

<snip>

In the U.S., Ford wants dealers to combine outlets for Jaguar and Land Rover. Jaguar has about 150 U.S. retailers and Land Rover has about 140, with 44 percent of dealers already operating combined dealerships. Ford seeks to raise that to 65 percent by 2004.

"By putting Jaguar and Land Rover together, it improves a dealer's profitability," said Mike O'Driscoll, president of Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover of North America. Ford wants dealers to invest profits in features such as valet services and customer lounges to attract buyers.

The rational is that increasing profitability will make having a Land Rover or Jaguar Franchise more desirable to own. This helps make the vehicles more available, hence leading to higher sales volume as more areas have retailers for the brands. As far as I have been told the plan is to have separate sales facilities, but have shared office and finance staff as well as sharing of service space and parts warehousing. This helps lower the bottom line by not having to operate and staff 2 separate facilities. As most Land Rover and Jaguar dealerships are low volume this will help keep up profitability. Jaguar and Land Rover dealerships share the same selling philosophies already, so I doubt their consolidation will be a negative change for the consumer. I do know that Ford is very intent on keeping all the PAG brands distinctive from one another and from Ford in general.
  • bakcabakca Posts: 33
    I see the point of shared administration. It will be interesting to see how they integrate the side by side sales. As long as Ford understands what they have with Jaguar and Land Rover it may work out ok. I'd hate to see them try and turn it all into another Ford dealership. I had an explorer before the Disco, and although it was a good car and I had a decent and convenient dealership, there is no comparison to the LR experience.
    From all indications I have seen first hand, Ford is very aware of the value of Land Rover, Jaguar, and Aston Martin. They have owned Jaguar for over ten years and Aston Martin for longer than that. Having seen the new XJ8 in the flesh and read all the technical details, I am confident that future Land Rover products will remain true to the heritage that they have established and will continue to be among the elite of off road vehicles.
  • vaboy3vaboy3 Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience using a Discovery II to tow a travel trailer? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to pull a 24 foot Airstream trailer that weighs 3850 empty and probably 4500 when loaded. This is within the towing weight listed in my owners manual. Thanks in advance.
  • peweepewee Posts: 6
    Hi:
    We are long time readers, and first time posters. We are considering a Discovery SE purchase at Land Rover East in Denver. Has anyone here had experience with this dealer that they wish to share with us? Our own pre-sale experience has been extremely positive. I seek knowledge of their service operation.

Additionally, would the "2004 Discovery," whatever it is to be, be worth waiting for, as our Land Rover purchase will have to be at least a 10 year affair?

Expected uses for the Disco include trips into the Colorado, Wyoming and Montana back country, as well as occasional cross country trips to Florida, New Jersey and Maine. (I hate to fly).

Thanks for your help, and for the many informative posts on this message board.

Also, anyone know if ham radio gear would muck up the electronics?

regards,pewee
  • odiopusodiopus Posts: 47
    I own a 2001 Disco and have had a few minor problems, most of the problems I had were related to the computer. I had an ACE problem that was throwing my back end side to side and it was because one of the modules in the computer was failing. I have also had problems with my horn going out intermittently and my SLS, ACE, and Tranny light come up intermittently as well. All of these were related to problems with the computer. I believe the Disco is a great truck and very reliable. Has anyone had any similar problems with the ECU? It seems that there is a short somewhere that the dealer can not pinpoint. My fuses for the horn also burns out on a regular basis. Overall, the pros have outweighed the cons as far as my experience as a Disco owner and still believe it's the best truck out there.

Odiopus
  • denver8denver8 Posts: 42
    I have had some service work done at the Denver east dealer and I buy parts from them occasionally. I also went on one of their off road events... very fun and a free lunch!!! They are kind of far from my house and I have since found closer service places. Overall my limited experience with them has been good. If I lived closer to them I would go more often.
  • peweepewee Posts: 6
    Denver8,

Thanks for the info. Land Rover of Denver - South and Land Rover of Denver - East are about equidistant from my house. Been to both, and both seem to be nice and above board. I lean toward Denver East because of a particular Sales Rep who has been working with us.

Thanks again,

Pewee
  • I am thinking of taking my 95 disco on a trip across the country. any suggestions on what to have serviced before hand?
    Got about 120K on it but runs without a hickup.
  • rkoesler:
    I love my Rover, but am a little PO at my dealer since I just spent $900 for front brakes & rotors at 40K. That is in addition to $300 for rear pads at 25K. Please give me further info about any recall on the brakes so I can complain.
  • Sorry, mine is a 2000 DII as well.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    enough to explain to me that Ford Z-plan includes Land Rover, I have an additional question...if I want to purchase an extended warranty to 100K, does Z-plan discount the warranty price, too, or can the dealer sell at any price they want?
  • kbowenkbowen Posts: 58
    Your post above that the Pirelli Scorpion S/T comes in 18" and was a decent tire gave me some hope that maybe, just maybe, there is an off road tire for us 18" guys. Not so. The S/T does not come in the 18" size, only the Zero model does and it's primary use is high speed highway. Checked with Goodyear, Michelin, Dunlop and a bunch of others and there is NOTHING. Even went to the dealership asking for help and was told that not only is there no decent off road tire available for the 18" wheel, Land Rover will no longer even offer the 16" wheel on the Disco for which there are plenty of good off road tires available. So, along with all of the other changes made to the 2003--unibody, independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, etc.--Ford has truly transformed this once magnificent highly capable off road vehicle into the soccer mom dream mobile with only the ILLUSION of off road prowess left, much as it seems GM is trying to do with the Hummer II (all I see in the commercials is some dainty woman driving this beastly looking HII like she's behind the wheel of a VW rabbit). I envy you and your 96, I believe it is, and your ability to keep it up yourself and modify it as you may need to. For us guys who buy from the show room, they are stripping away all the options, except the option to vote with our feet. It is a darn shame, I really like the DII, but it has morphed into an animal other than what I bought it for. The new Jeep Rubicon looks promising and I may just turn the DII over to the wife the way nature, or rather Ford, intended.
    The 2003 Discovery is not unibody, it is body-on-frame with live axle's front and rear. It also does not have rack and pinion steering. You must have it confused with the 2003 Range Rover, which despite having these changes is actually a more accomplished off road vehicle than the 4.0-4.6 it replaced. The S model still comes with 16" wheels standard, and the prior years 16" wheels are also still available. Land Rover cannot prevent you from changing to whatever wheel and tire combination you want, it is your vehicle. There is just no approved 16" rim or tire for the SE and HSE with ACE. Ford has had little input into the current Discovery as the base vehicle is largely the same as the earlier Series II vehicles. Rant all you want, but please get your facts straight.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    Have you looked at prior years' 16" wheels? I don't know the lug spacing but I bet they'd bolt right up to a SII hub. You might even look for some 16" steel NATO wheels and mount some gnarly treads on them, then rotate them onto the truck for weekend adventures? Take a look at Discoweb.org for suggestions about tires and wheels... they're a good resource for tech questions.

One thing to bear in mind, if you put tall tires and 16" wheels on an ACE truck, you're running a mild risk if you drive it hard in corners. ACE will hydraulically limit body/suspension roll but it can't anticipate how the tires themselves will deflect in hard cornering. Just be careful. :)

Rover on!
    16" rims for the DI or Defender won't work, different bolt pattern. But the 4.0-4.6 SE Range Rover had 16" rims as standard equipt. from 95-01 and these are compatable with the DII. Also all non-ACE equipped DII's in 99,00,01 and SD Models in 02 and S models in 03 come standard with 16" rims. So these will not be unavailable anytime soon as they have to be available for warranty coverage. Your comments on ACE equipped vehicles and the effect of 16" rims and tires is spot on.
    Of course! The SII Disco has the earlier Rangie axles... so of course they'll have that bolt pattern. Thanks for setting me straight. And this is good information for all you Disco offroaders to snip and tuck away somewhere for future reference.
  • I don't even own a Disco yet, so while I can't comment directly, I can offer some general towing advice.

The real issue with any tow vehicle and a heavy trailer is stability, not power. A short wheelbase vehicle like the Disco (100 inches) will have nowhere near the directional control of a longer wheelbase vehicle (like just about every other truck). It is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Serious accidents happen all the time with short trucks and long trailers.

Also, while it is possible to tow 4500 pounds with a rig "rated" for 5000, it is pushing the envelope and you are just asking for trouble. Be very suspicious of advertised trailer weights - they are almost universally lower than reality. The only sure way to know is to take it to a public scale and weigh it. And I have doubts that you will only be carrying 650 pounds of load in the trailer - full gray and black water tanks alone will likely add 350 pounds (and you can't always empty them right away). When I owned a 25 ft Nash, I carried almost 1500 pounds of stuff ocassionally. Drinking water, canned goods, personal gear, sporting goods like bikes, clothes, books, added installed equipment like a generator - it all adds up VERY quickly. I towed my 6000 pound (loaded) trailer with a 3/4 ton 7.4 liter Suburban, and did not feel as if it were overkill, especially in the mountains.

For your trailer I suggest a full-sized pickup or a long wheelbase SUV.

For further comments and opinions visit the various trailer newsgroups, like:

rec.outdoors.rv-travel

alt.rv.pop-up-trailers

You can use this link to search their archives:

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/deja_announcement.html

Be safe!
  • pjd1pjd1 Posts: 13
    "Has anyone replaced their stock 18" tires on their D2 with snow tires from Bridgestone."

I've recently purchased Blizzaks for my wife's
    Jeep Liberty, as well as for my own 2001 Disco II.(However, I had only the stock 16" wheels.)

I can't praise these tires highly enough.
    These tires are quiet and smooth on the highway
    and they are nothing short of amazing on hard packed slippery snow or ice.
    Do you absolutely need them for your Disco?
    Probably not, a fresh set of stock Michelin XPC's are pretty decent in almost any conditions when combined with anti-locks & traction control.
    Still if the conditions in your area warrant them, (Black Ice, etc.), they're well worth the dough, about $125-$130 apiece, mounted.

BTW, the geniuses in the Bridgestone marketing
    dept have changed the name of the Blizzak for light trucks to "Winter Dueler",(Ugh!) DM-Z2.
    Still, the tire is exceptional.

Important tip: These tires must come off in the
    Spring. If you run them in warm weather the tread
    will wear out very quickly.
    Ideally, you should mount these up on separate rims. By doing this, I have previously gotten three seasons out them on my wife's Volvo.
    I remember you mentioned that changing your brakes is simple... How can one determine if the rotors need to be turned? I'm a litle over 20K and I wanted to change the brakes on my DII myself, but was wondering if there is a site out there that would explains the details of changing the pads??

Odiopus
    You might take a look at Discoweb.org -- they have an extensive "Tech" section.

There are specs for rotor replacement that measure minimum thickness, as well as (I believe) depth of grooves in the swept surface. As for grooves in the rotors, I have got them from picking up stones in river crossings and things, and they have gouged my rotors a little. I just kept using them and the pads mated to the new gouged surface, polished them up with continued use, and all is well. Once they reach minimum thickness however, you better consider changing them... there's the chance a rotor could fail and mechanically lock a wheel at speed.

As to changing the pads... my DI may be a little different than your DII, but it is soooooo simple! Jack up one side and remove both wheels (so you can rotate them front-to-back later) and remove the bolts holding the caliper to the hub. Don't let the caliper fall so it's hanging from the brake hose. Loose the bleed screw for the slave cylinder and push the pads/pistons back into the calipers until the pistons are ALL the way back in. You'll have a mess of brake fluid so haev newspapers down. When ready, close the bleed screw and then remove the cotter pins that pass thru the two pins that locate the pads in place. Withdraw the pins and out pop the pads! Put in new pads (paying attention to any anti-squeal doodads they may have provided) and slide the pad locating pins back in. Install two new cotter pins and slide the caliper back over the rotor, install its bolts and torque. Make sure there's no brake fluid on the rotor or pads, and then bleed the brakes. Simple! When you start driving her again you'll want to take it easy the first few times you brake, so the pads can mate to the rotor surface (100% contact) and you can slowly heat the pads a few times to "set" the compound and not glaze them over. If your brakes feel at all spongy then you need to bleed them again. Make sure you top off your brake fluid reservoir when finished. Oh, and make sure you set your tire pressures: my stock tires were 28psi front and 38psi rear... if you rotate them you'll want to check that.

This is just one of the simple jobs you can perform on your Disco... it's a good feeling to think YOU can work on her!

Best regards, -Bob
    Thanks a million! Sounds simple enough. I remember reading something about it on discoweb.org, but the post had already been archived. I found the link after all. The instructions are also up on expeditionexchange.com under the tech section. It's nice to know we can save a few bucks if we had a little time to spare. Dealer costs ranges from $500 to $1000 depending on your area, and that's just for brakes all around. I purchased my pads from roverconnection.com for $200 and a few bucks for delivery. I thought I would stick with OEM pads for now and then try some new pads next time? Any suggestions on where to quality pads at a fair price?

Odiopus
    Land Rover's MSRP for front and rear pad kits on your DII are $221.11 combined. Here's a little secret for you, RoverConnection buys their parts from US Land Rover dealers, not Land Rover UK. They get bulk quantity wholesale discounts from a few dealers willing to take a lower profit margin for volume sales. Next time you check their price, let your local dealer have a chance to match it. They may agree to it and it could at least save you the freight.
    I just went to the local parts store. Here they're called "Schucks"... might be there too? I've tried Wagner and Lockheed pads, both work well, and seem to last about the same. My most recent were Lockheed and if I remember right they had a cool little spring that went into the caliper piston to prevent squeal. I think they were like $25 a pair...

Have fun! Remember the new cotter pins.
  • pjd1pjd1 Posts: 13
    Disco II to the rescue:
    Today's tale from the frozen North...My good friend called this morning to tell me that his mountaintop driveway had drifted in overnight...
    The snow had drifted in about 1.5- 2 feet deep and was packed like concrete. It was bad enough that he was unable to get his Jeep Cherokee thru it, and his John Deere Diesel tractor wouldn't start because it was too cold. So, he couldn't plow it out either.
    I said I'd see what I could do...I stopped first to pick up some Kerosene to get his tractor going and then I drove up to his house...
    I hestitated at first when I got to the driveway...I didn't know snow could pack this solid...Still I decided to give it a try...The happy result was that I was able to cut two nice ruts for him after running the Disco up and down the driveway three times, and he was able to drive the Jeep out thru them.
    The Disco, the traction control and the Blizzaks
    all got a first rate test of their abilities and didn't let us down. It's always nice to see what this truck will do when you really need it.
    LR: Still the best 4x4xFar
  • Is there an aftermarket oil pan warmer or something to make early morning start up easier in cold climates?
    I live in southern appalachia and we have been having some record cold below zero stuff and my disco is having a bit of trouble in the mornings.
    -5 degrees is probably a heat wave for nanuk and a few others - any suggestions?
    Your local Land Rover dealer can order you a block heater if he doesn't have it in stock.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,940
    They are giving them away in Anchorage - maybe Nanuq can send you one ;-)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.