Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• phill27phill27 Posts: 31
    I have one rear fog light working. I have replaced the bulb on the non working side and found some water in the unit casing. Is this something that a replacement unit and gasket could fix?
  • disco99disco99 Posts: 74
    ouch....
    I just realized my transfer case stick is stuck to H--I can't move it to N nor L-I've followed all instructions from my manual..any thoughts? perhaps empty transfer case? I have a 90 day warranty with my dealer..maybe I'll take it back and have them fixed it..any ideas?
    I'm no expert phill-but since water found its way in the unit casing-it might be a gasket problem or the casing may need some tightning from the inside--
  • enginoneenginone Posts: 20
    Before you write off the Rover, you may want to research European delivery options. You order from here, and pick up over there. In the past, prices have been attractive as well. That may be a way for you to get a Rover that could be covered for the time you're touring outside the US? Does Tincup know where you could get more info? I would guess LR Centers have info packets available.
    I'm NO expert but... My manual says if you get stuck in either High or Low to briefly switch gear selector into gear: either Drive or Reverse, then try again. I'm driving a 2000 disco II I guess it MAY work.
    thanks phill-I'll give it a shot soon.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    My DI works best switching from Lo-N-Hi when I'm rolling forward ver-r-r-r-r-ry slowly. I mean like 1mph. Get rolling just a touch, put the transmission in neutral (main transmission, move it from Drive to Neutral) and then switch the transfer case from H to L, then put her back into Drive.

You might try crawling under there and juicing the linkage with WD-40 to loosen things up. Sticking diff-lock linkage is a common problem when these beasts don't get much low range use, and at least in my case, the diff lock and low range select use the same lever.

Good luck, -Bob
    thanks bob-I'll give it a shot-

On a different note do I have to use only LR genuine recommended antifreeze(oat).I'm considering a prestone or gm antifreeze-methanol,nitrate etc free)
    thanks
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Land Rover has specified the OAT long life coolant as the only acceptable coolant for the Discovery II. Using any other coolant will keep some poor british engineer up at nights worrying and could possibly lead to warranty problems on cooling system related issues. Havoline Dex-cool compatible is the key on coolant for this vehicle.
    thanks again tincup-if it weren't for you I would have destroyed this car already?
    Yeah, and whatever you do, DO NOT even THINK of using power steering fluid in your power steering system!!

At least one the Series I Disco...

(grin)
    That brake fluid better be by Girling. Rumor has it that Guinness has a deal with Girling to dispose of their surplus product.

;)
    Has anyone installed the extension for the factory roof rack? Looking at the way it's put together seems like a do-it- yourself job. However, I'm concerned about leakage if I have to drill into the roof!
    On a different note, I found British Pacific has several parts for rovers. Has anyone had experience with them. If not, can someone point me to a better source?
    Actually Land Rover specifies Castrol LMA DOT 4 as the correct brake fluid for all Land Rover products.
    thanks bob-I followed your exact instructions and I was able to switch from H to l.

I hope you guys don't find me to be a little annoying-I just do not want to do something really stupid--
    The only stupid thing you can do with your Rover is to not take it offroad regularly. Everything else can be chalked up to "learning experience".

So how do you like the way your trans shifts gears once you get into low range? Wahoo!

I was coming back out from a long offroading adventure last weekend and coming over the crest of a hill on a narrow trail there was a mini-SUV struggling to come up what I wanted to go down. Since uphill has right-of-way over downhill, I quickly jerked the wheel to the right to make way (he was close!) and drove right into the alder and willow thickets. My copilot shrieked and grabbed the handrails as I broke off 1.5" mini-trees with my a-pillar and wing, and when the mini-ute had passed I backed out again and there was another nice patina on the offside. No worries, most of that stuff buffs right out and the remaining marks on the roof are just gonna STAY up there. I kinda like 'em.
    I just bought a new house, and FINALLY got the garage emptied so I could park Anuqa inside once more. So I fired her up last night and drove merrily into the garage.

***BAM BAM***!!!!!

@%&#%^*#^!#! I thought as I got out and looked. The garage door was maladjusted so it didn't go clear to the top, as my old door used to. I broke both ski racks right off the top, and my long-wise bars were wedged in beneath the door.

I quickly adjusted the door and raised it another 4" but that's still not enough. With my tall tires and lift I can't get inside without dragging my bars. RATS.

I'm sure I'll come up with a solution. I just hate to be on the "taking" end of a stupid move like this.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,571
    That's Mother Nature's way of getting back at you for wiping out those Alaskan "trees."

Maybe you'll just have to air down to get it in the garage, lol.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

...cut off 6" from the bottom of the door and fabricate a heavy canvas pouch with a chain in it, heavy enough to hang on the floor and seal out the arctic blast, but light enough to drive beneath it and not tear off Ski Racks Episode Three.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,571
    Don't know how to build a garage - for some reason they insist of pouring the slab up to the foundation edge and wipe out the garage door clearance in the process.

I trust you haul your bikes inside or on the back?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

I can get two mtn bikes inside the back, with packs and helmets secured. It's the best place to put 'em to avoid the odd situation where you're coming home tired (like my brother) and forget the bikes are on top (like my brother) and drive under a low overpass at 70mph (like my brother).

;)
  • I get tired sometimes reading about this precious vehicle that has more character flaws than Charles Mansion, swills rare and expensive coolant, uses wierd brake and power steering fluid that in some models isn't really power steering fluid, and has an Edmunds Total Cost of Ownership that would shock you.

Why do people buy them? To be on a first name basis with a safari-suit clad service writer who calls the front lot his "forecourt"? A Disco ain't fast, ain't cheap, corners like a Hillman Minx I drove in high school, and has the reliability of a Renault that needs a tune up.

Then I read Nanuk.
  • efinkensefinkens Posts: 5
    My ownership experience has been an unmitigated #@!&^ disaster. In every sense of the word, this truck is dysfunctional. I dont know what $#%@ I was thinking. I'm sure I'll hear a chorus of cat calls but I'm done. You guys are nuts for liking these things. I hope you all get the help you need (just kidding, very helpful group). Later...
    What kind of problems have you experienced? No cat calls from me, just curious.
    I'm in the process of changing my tranny oil-draining was not a problem-but after putting in only 2 quarts it's spilling as if it's full(I need 10.3 quarts in there)-Ihave the car on a flat surface-should I lift the front of the car? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    I just read somewhere that disco II 99 does not have a dipstick nor a refill plug-always a dealer service item-for you disco II owners out there don't make the same mistake. You might also let them drain your transfer case also-it's not easy to refill either-
    The Discovery II does not have a dipstick as I said in an earlier post. It does have a refill plug however. Changing the fluid is possible as a do-it-yourself proposition, but it is a convoluted many step procedure. It is always best to have a service procedure manual before attempting a repair like this on an unfamiliar vehicle. Land Rover does have this available and is part number VDR100330 but is is quite pricey. As an alternative you may want to see if you can find a Haynes manual for the vehicle. I have used these in the past on other vehicles and find them very good, especially for the do-it-yourself owner as they do not expect you to already have a working knowledge of the vehicle as the Factory manual does.
    Sorry I can't help, I have the old-fashioned drain plug and I refill it from the dipstick. You're talking the auto trans, right? I bet it doesn't really take 10 qts. That's a heck of a lot of lube. Is it 10 pints? That's still a lot. And it might call for different amounts depending if you drain the torque converter, etc. Kind of like adding more engine oil when you change the oil filter. Check the numbers closely.

Good luck! And I doubt you'll find a Chilton or Haynes for your beastie... there were none for my DI so I bought the service manual (around $100).
    thanks guys -I ordered the manual today-and I had the dealer top off the tranny fluid-it only took 2 more quarts(no charge)-but it's 10.3 quarts if you take the pan out.

they also told me the only way to partially refill a 99 discoII(without removing the pan) is to add a couple of quarts first-then start the car & put in in Neutral-then keep adding until some fluid comes out of the refill plug-I guess I had it all wrong-

by the way the car is running like new with a new air filter(Purolator), Mobil 1 synthetic oil(10w30)-Mobil1 filter-radiator drain,new front and rear diffs synthetic oil(mobil1 75w90r),new tranfer cas oil(75w90r)and Bosch platinum2 plugs
    My point is after each of these changes the car seemed more "jumpy" and less noisy.
  • I think that not having a dipstick to check the tranny oil on a D II is fantastic. This gives me some insight why the warranty on a Rover factory "Certified" used vehicle is only 12K miles. They figure they'll top off the tranny fluid as you leave and what the hell, because you can't check it you'll never notice if the tranny is low until a year (12K) or so have gone by. Then if the tranny does go the warranty will be history. Incidentally, did anyone ever determine if the D II had a tranny cooler?