Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car Electrical Problems

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Our 94 Signature TC does not have automatic headlight dimmer nor does the Owner Guide mention it. Not sure, but think it was on our 82 or 80 TC.

When the "Delay" light switch is on, the headlights stay off when I press the key FOB to unlock the doors.
  • pfiegenerpfiegener Posts: 1
    sometimes will rev to 4000rpm on starting Have had problem with this and when parking it sometimes lurches. anyone else having this problem??
  • furleyfurley Posts: 13
    I had the same problem with my 2003 TC; It rev'ed up when starting, than later started doing to opposite and stalling. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle air control. It was under warenty and fine ever since.
    It's with the door latch.
    I have a 2003 TC and the panel lights will dim down automatically when I go into somewhere dark a tunnel carwash, or under thick trees. It dos this independently of what position the headlight switch is in. Turn up your pannel light dimmer switch to full bright at night as see if the same thing happens.
  • rennierennie Posts: 2
    Ref: 1999 Lincoln Town Car - I recently experienced a complete shutdown of the electrical system on my car while driving on a very busy road in florida. The ambient outside temperature was in the low 80's. I lost all power and electric's, nothing worked at all. The cars cooling system did not overheat at any point but I was setting at a drawbridge for about 15 minutes prior to the shutdown. I was towed from where I was within about 25 minutes. The car sat for about an additional 30 minutes and then the electric's came back on and I continued my journey. I drove an additional 250 miles since the shutdown and it has not occurred again.

I research this a bit on the Internet and it seems that this problem occurred on some cars in California and a recall was issued. If anyone could point me to a service bulletin or know of this problem and help would be appreciated.
    Don't write to Lincoln at Wixom, MI. They have closed the plant and are in the process of moving tools and dies to Canada. Good Luck.
  • hittmann85hittmann85 Posts: 3
    my sunroof doesnt open im guessing its an electrical problem with the buttons, is this easily fixable and how much would it cost? also the passanger side power seats is jammed, it moves backward but wont move foward. whats the general price on gettin that repaired?
  • marcdz1marcdz1 Posts: 1
    Someone please help me. My state inspection sticker expired more than 2 weeks ago and I can't drive my car until I fix the brake light problem on my 2001 TC. The car night lights work and the signal lights work too but the brake lights do not engage only the third brake light goes on. The one by the headrest's. I have checked the fuses and they are fine. I am leaning towards the brake light switch. I also hit a curve on the right side not too long ago. But I don't think that is the problem. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marc
  • pdesautelpdesautel Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how to reset the error code on the air bag.
    I was trouble shooting an Air conditiong prob. and started to disconnect harneses and now I have a blinking air bag light code appears to be 52. Any help out there.
  • stgcret1stgcret1 Posts: 2
    Sounds like the same problem I had with a 1979 Continental.
    The stator (magnetos) in my distributer where bad. When engine got too warm they would not make electrical contact thus could not produce the electricity to go to the coil, get amplified to around 25KV and return to the distributer, go out the distributer wires to the spark plugs (no fire....no start). When engine cooled car started right up and ran fine until it got too warm again ( usually when I idled going to yardsales) Hope this gives you a direction to explore. Paul :)
  • paul70paul70 Posts: 2
    Hello everybody,
    I opened the moonroof in my '96 lincoln and now it won't close (tried pulling it with no luck, it's stuck somewhere inside). I was advised to check the fuses and they appear to all be fine. When I press the button to close the roof, I hear nothing - does it mean the motor blew?
    If so, what do you think would be a reasonable price for a replacement motor and how many hours it should take to replace? Alternatively, how long would it take to just close the roof without repairing the motor?
    Thanks a lot!
    First clean the terminal posts and terminals with a .99 battery post tool, then hook up your battery charger as directed by the charger instructions. If your battery cables are connected, the Red cable to the POS terminal and the Black cable to the engine block or other metal contact than the NEG post of the battery. If the battery is isolated from any connection, you can connect the Black charger cable to the NEG side of the battery and the RED cable to the POS side.

While you are charging the old battery, spray WD40 into the slots where the window recedes. When the battery is fully charged, connect everything correctly and try to close the roof.

If your present battery is old, you may need a fully charged new one to energize the roof motor. Good luck.
  • rld2rld2 Posts: 1
    After replacing my battery in the car, all of my buttons on my radio panel do not work.

-the radio will come on (to whatever station it wants to, and at any volume it wants to),
    ----(but you cannot adjust the volume, station, etc.)
    -the only way to turn off the radio is to pull the fuse.
    -the radio control buttons on the steering wheel do not work either.

any suggestions?
    First pull the fuse so as to turn it off.

Second, press the "Off" button.

Lastly, disconnet the Ground, Negative, side of the battery and wait a minute or two.
    Install the fuse.

Reconnect the Ground & maybe the unit will have reset itself to it's programed procedures.
  • trev77trev77 Posts: 1
    I rrecently purcahsed a 91 TC, I open the moon roof twice the second time, I opened it wont close, I have checked all the fuses they all look good. it simply will not close..... any know where I can find a motor and roughly the cost i had looked all over the net and found nothing.. :confuse:
    The moon roof motor uses a lot of electrical energy. Before R&R the motor, suggest you clean the battery terminals and connecting cables, charge up the battery, run the engine a little faster than idle speed and then try the moon roof motor. (How old is the battery?)

FYI, the other high electric user is the rear window defroster, the one with the horizontal lines in it.
  • dlemkaydlemkay Posts: 1
    Anyone have any info regarding air suspension electrical problems? I've been looking for a schematic of the system with not much luck....am I going to have to go get computer diagnosed or are there some areas I can explore first?

Thanks!!

Doug in Victoria BC
    Fuse blowing usually a result of wiring short caused by a "Hot" wire touching a "Ground" surface. This is going to be a visual search. Start looking from the rear air shocks forward. Over miles a wire could have had the insulation rubbed off, or in some instances rodents will for some damn reason knaw on the insulation, exposing the metallic wire to be exposed to other metal. A very bright light will be helpful with time and patience. Good Luck.