Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car Electrical Problems

Comments

• When I remove the ignition key from my 99 Town Exec, the seat retracts for maximum room, which is normal. The trouble seems that when the seat is supposed to stop (by the stop switch/travel switch?) the seat tries to go further back and a sound like gears slipping make a (machine gun) sound for about 2 to 3 seconds then stops. When I position the seat a little forward and bring it all the way back I get the same sound. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Question did you ever find out what was wrong with it mine has the same problem.
  • i have a 96 town witch was driving fine i came home and when i went back to start it it wouldnt start i replaced the started and it still wont start the brake and battery light both came on before it wouldnt starty any sugjestions on wat it might be.
  • Hi all! I'm a newbie who is DESPARATE!! Have a beautiful '03 Cartier that is sitting (not running) in the drive way because no one can seem to fix it. Been to the dealer at least 6 times!! Here's the deal---car went thru a sandstorm in the desert. Front clip had to be repainted, windshield and head lights had to be replaced. All done at the dealership. Ever since, when headlights are turned on, interior lights go crazy, almost like surging (instrument cluster, radio lights, dome lights, everything!). If the air-conditioner or heater is on, they surge also. Then, eventually, the car won't start at all. Like the battery is completely dead, yet it can't be jump started either! Had it towed to the dealer 3 times! They get in it, it starts right up! They say they can't duplicate the problem, yet when we get it home........right back to square one!!! The headlights are the xenon headlights, and it always seems to start with turning them on. The car stalled one time, at night, when blinker was turned on. Any suggestions??? HELP!!
  • My 2001 towncar wont start! Did you locate the problem? - Matthew
  • 98 town car drivers side front window will go down but not up. After playing with it I found out that if I open the door about 10 inches the window will go up. All of the other windows work fine. Could it be in the cable cluster that goes to the door from the body? How do I remove the door panel to investigate?
  • hi i have replaced the ignition switch and lock cylinder my panic button doesn't work on my transmitters key pad wont light up and battery dies from time to time every now and then when you lock the doors with transmitter anti theft light will come on noticed when you open drivers door sometimes key in switch wont ding weird
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Punctuation would be appreciated.
  • Sorry about no punctuation
  • Hi, I have a 1992 Cartier that has been loosing functionalilty for a while now. The gas flap, power seats, power wing mirror, cigarette lighter, and power door locks have all failed. It is not a fuse issue. Does anyone know if there is a single part that could effect all of these parts. I have searched older messages with no luck.

Thank you!
  • How did you find out the error code? My air bag light blinks too and I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks
  • sounds like the drivers door module
  • 2003 Town car won't start. does nothing, no clicking, whirring, absolutely nothing! Here's what all I've done......New battery, new ignition switch, new park/neutral safety switch, new starter.......still nothing!! going to pick up starter relay in the morning. What else is left???????
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 161
    Have you checked the alarm system?
  • checked the alarm?

Got in the manual and read how to see if alarm is functioning properly (by watching the actions of the red flashing light on dash) and it is blinking when its supposed to and staying solid when it's supposed to. That's all i know to check on it?
  • town car 99 time to time red light go on massage center . starts OK What it is ??????
  • '99 Lincoln Town Car Krystal Limo - Power Locks are not working on all the doors. I did check the fuses under the dash - all fuses seemed ok. I heard it could be a modulator - not sure what or where that is. I am not exactly sure what to look for.

Your help would be very appreciated

Ray
    MyChariotLimo@yahoo.com
  • qsoqso Posts: 32
    I have a 95 Lincoln Town car. The Master cylinder is leaking slightly at the front area under a rubber seal ( Like a dust cover) a there is a large nut behind it. I do not know what this area is, maybe an adjusting screw? I asssume there is a seal in this area that hopefully can be changed without removing the master Cylinder. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what can be done to fix it?

Thank you

RV
    I have a 95 Lincoln Town car. My brake light is on, telling me that the Brake Res. is low. Fill it back up and the light goes out. The Master cylinder is leaking slightly at the front area under a rubber dust cover, there is a large nut behind it. I do not know what this area is, maybe an adjusting screw? I asssume there is a seal in this area that hopefully can be changed without removing the master Cylinder. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what can be done to fix it?

Thank you

RV
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Has anyone else had this? The car is a garage queen, my mother bought it after totaling out her 01 grand marquis. She drives her 95 GM unless the weather is nice. What happened was, she bought a Garmin GPS and had it plugged in for a week, then the battery on the car went bye bye. I charged it for a day, but the charge indicator was red. I left it alone for a few weeks until I found the batteries in my F350 were nearly dead from sitting and charged them up, so while I had the charger out, I decided to charge the TC again, 4 days later the charge indicator turned green again and has been since.

Basically a device that doesnt use my power drained the battery, but it took 4 days to recharge it, which doesn't seem right. Does the TC use a lot of power while turned off? I know the 95 GM can drain the battery when off because the auto suspension is constantly on, but does the '07 suspension also stay on all the time? I had a 92 crown vic with the air system and that only came on with the key on.
    If using a "trickle charger" it would take about four days to fully charge a battery.

Recommend you use a Fast 10 Amp charger on the TC so as to beat the constant rate of discharge caused by various electrical powered accessories.

The automatic leveling compressor on our TC doesn't need the ignition "ON" to work. Sometimes it just self starts for no obvious reason.

Because we don't drive the TC frequently, I charge the battery with a 10 Amp fast charge every two weeks.

My 66 Mustang goes a month between chargings due to no draining of the battery.
    I did use a 10Amp charger, with a 30 amp 10 minute boost to start off. @ 10Amps it charged both batteries in my F350 Diesel in 4 hours from being so low it barely made the buzzer squawk when I put the key in. I have a trickle charger I use for my horse trailer Ebrake, I can probably set that up to keep the battery topped off since it sits. As long as I know others have had this, I wont be concerned about the battery going dead, why it took 4 days to charge, :confuse:
    If a battery is left discharged for an extended period, it could become sulfated and will not accept a normal charge.

Desulfation could take up to 10 hours.
  • beast02beast02 Posts: 1
    Ok, so here's the story. The car is a 1992. Just got it a few weeks ago. It already had some electrical issues (the locks click click click unless the lights are on, & there are other clicking noises when the car is on). Anyway, today we tried to install a radio. We plugged everything in and the radio powered up, but there was no sound. We jiggled some wires in the trunk and the radio it self was also jostled while the radio was sitting in the front seat. The wire connections did not have electrical tape on them.

There was a zzzzz sound. Now, the radio doesn't power up, the clock doesn't come on and the windows wont roll up. All the fuses have been checked. A mechanic checked under the hood and said the light for the power window relay switch did not light up. We replaced the relay switch, but nothing happened.

Any ideas? Is there anything we can do temporarily to get the windows to roll up?
  • zaya417zaya417 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem I couldn't tell you what to do to fix the whole problem but go have an electrical diagnosis done but if you just want to get your windows up take the door panels off there rather easy like 4 screws and a few clips that will come loose w/o damaging them then you will see the window motor and 2 wires hooked up to it strip the wires and hook a 12V battery up to it depending if you want it to go up or down you will have to reverse the polarity
  • twice this week: 95 TownCar won't start. cranks and cranks but no fire. wait three to five minutes (calling for a ride) turn key and it starts like nothing was ever wrong. Here's the thing: The ignition switch feels loosey-goosey and if you don't turn it back all the way you can pull the key out and cylinder will still turn and you can start the car with no key. *** My feeling is that this starting problem might be related to the ignition cylinder and the security system. The car is a beauty, never in salt, not abused, and runs perfectly otherwise. WHAT I'D REALLY LIKE IS TO SIMPLY DISABLE THE SECURITY SYSTEM ALTOGETHER TO AVOID ANY FURTHER PROBLEMS AND HELP TO DIAGNOSE the starting problem. Is there any way I can do that? I really hate to start spending $76/hour to chase the problem as I have been to three Ford garages this week and nobody has any clue what might be wrong. And I'd really rather do it myself anyway. I trust me. Any help you may be able to give would be greatly appreciated.
    I have been to three Ford garages this week and nobody has any clue what might be wrong. And I'd really rather do it myself anyway.

3 Ford techs don't have a clue & you want to fix it yourself?

Something besides the ignition switch is " loosey- goosey" so take it to an independent shop for a fix.
    I am not sure if the 95 MY had the integrated key/ignition system security. If your ignition key is a plain key, no big plastic end on it, and can be duplicated from an off the shelf blank, then you don't have the integrated system. If that is the case, and you say you can turn the ignition without the key when it isn't in the lock position, you have either one or two problems, or both. First, since you can remove the key without being in the lock position, your cylinder is worn out, start by replacing it. You can do this by yourself, and may even be able to have the replacement cylinder keyed to match the existing keys. If that doesn't correct it, I think it will, but if it doesn't, then the next part involved is the actual ignition switch itself. This is mounted on the steering column, usually on the top and connected via a rod from the back of the ignition cylinder. Its possible the contacts are worn out where the start position is. With a worn cylinder, it is quite possible the rod isn't pushing down far enough to make contact.

If you do have the RFID keys, fixing that will be difficult on your own without the diagnostic equipment, and disabling it will be near impossible without rewiring the car.

In either case, replace the ignition cylinder, and you could very well fix the whole problem.
    I have a leak at the front of my master cylinder. There is a nut located at the very tip and I do not know what it is for. That is where the fluid is leaking from.! Is it possible to remove this nut and reseal it? Has anybody ever had this area leak on them.

Also what is a traction master cylinder vs a standard cylinder that these cars came with?

thank you

RV :