Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Brake Problems

Comments

• I have skimmed through the postings here hoping to find a solution or peace of mind for my mom. She has had her license for many years and her 'claim to fame' is never having had an accident or speeding ticket and now within 10 days she has had two accidents. The first one we chalked up to bad weather and icy roads (which now I am not sure was the cause), but the second we could not blame on road conditions. In both cases she had to forcefully apply her breaks and the car did not stop. I am wondering if the breaks on her Ford Escape did not engage or any other reason her vehicle did not stop. She recalls a shuddering and vibrating feeling when forcefully applying the breaks, but from what I can read here that would be the ABS kicking in. Does anyone have any answers/suggestions??? I refuse to believe this was careless driver error....
  • Did you ever find the cause? Mom has had what I am convinced is break problems with her 2008 Escape?
  • Is your mom's Escape a hybrid or non-hybrid? The non-hybrid has a regular non-complicated braking system. The Hybrid has a very complicated braking system that (in my judgment) has a bug.
    I ultimately resolved a long conflict about my vehicle (FEH 06). I used it as trade-in on a Focus. I'd filed a failure report with DOT previously. I'm sure any glitches with the brake system will get repaired under the warranty for the new owners.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I had a mother just like that. Sorry to say, it was always her fault. If she felt the vibration and pulsing of the ABS kicking in, then the brakes were working fine, and she was skidding. She probably didn't know that.
  • psimonepsimone Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Escape that recently blew a front passenger brake line (the rubber one that connects the steel line to the wheel caliper). After closer inspection, it was an accident waiting to happen. The line was cracked and deteriorating, as was the one on the driver’s side – which I also replaced before I ended up in the newspapers. I searched for recall information because I cannot believe I am the only one with this problem. There are no service bulletins, and the local Ford dealer tells me this has not been a problem that they have seen. I do not see this as a routine maintainence item like brake pads. As a side note, however, they did tell me that their parts shop does supply and and sell quite of few of these lines to other car parts stores – somewhat ironic and confirmed by my local auto parts “guy”.

After a quick search of Edmunds.com forum, I found a couple other people with this problem, but they were just asking about how to repair and not if this is an ongoing issue. I think this must be an ongoing issue. What say ye others?
  • gzcgzc Posts: 2
    My 2004 Escape did the exact same thing this week. Front passenger brake line blew. When I told my mechanic that this seemed like a rare occurrence he said he has seen it on other Escapes (this shop services a company with a fleet of Escapes). He recommended replacing all brake lines because the others were also cracked. I've never heard of anyone having to replace all their brake lines for fear of bursting. Is my mechanic right in his advice? Is Ford ignoring a known safety issue?
  • I have a 2004 escape and I have replaced the brakes at 3 times in the last 15 months. The calipers, rotors, lines, most recently the lines were replaced last month. tonight I was going through Mcdonalds stopped at the first windo no problem. Went to the second window and zero brakes!!! I wonder how many people have died??
    According to NHTSA, looks like nobody has died. I have owned 7 Escapes, still have 2 06s, with 80,000 miles on them, no brake line problems, in hot and dry Las Vegas. Not saying it hasn't happened at all, but not sure it's universal either. Or maybe the problem has been corrected on newer models. The oldest ones I have had have been 06s.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    Are you having your brakes replaced at a Ford dealer? seems to me that they could tell you what is going on. Did you buy the car new? If not did you check it out with car fax? This could be a rebuild. I know if I took it to Ford and it went through 3 sets of brakes in 15 months that they better tell me why and then fix it.
  • Interesting...I also have a 2010 Escape...though it's XLT 4WD 6 cyl. It's got almost 17K on it now. Engine and transmission was pulled at 8K miles for multiple oil leaks. The past few months the traction control light randomly turns on for no apparent reason and the brakes don't seem to want to work upon start up in the morning. They feel "tight"...have no give at all until I frantically start pumping them. Have to cut vehicle sharply to turn when backing out of my garage in the morning and actually hit the a tree to stop the vehicle cause the brakes didn't stop it a few weeks ago! Now I've simply gotten in the habit of pumping them them before even putting it in gear. Last week I get an oil change...at the local Ford Fastlane...and I'm told my battery is dying and should be replaced. Seriously? What next? I absolutely love the ergonomics of this vehicle but am feeling I may have purchased a dud.
    That's just awful! I'd be beside myself as well. I've had 8 Escapes since 2006, every one of them has been flawless, and I've had all V-6es but one, plus one Hybrid. I have two 2010s. Not a bit of trouble. But lemons do happen, and I'd try to get Ford to take this one back. It sounds like it just has bad Carma... :P Seriously, Your car is not right.
  • jaz7jaz7 Posts: 4
    I have a '04 Escape XLT. The brake warning light comes on, When the car is started, as it's supposed to. But doesn't go completely off after the car has started. It just goes very dim. It can hardly be seen at night and can't see it at all during the day.
  • canuk3211canuk3211 Posts: 1
    My wife has also had her brake pedal lock up 3 times now on our 2004 Escape 4x4. The most recent incident was a few days ago. As she was approaching a stop sign with cruise control engaged, she tapped the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control and found the pedal would not move even an inch. She attempted to depress the brake pedal 3 or 4 more times using more and more force. On the 4th or 5th attempt the pedal finally responded but she was applying a large amount of force by that time and nearly put our daughter through the windshield as the brakes responded. This is a scary and dangerous situation. Ford dealership and local garage cannot identify what is wrong. Did either of the previous posters find out the root cause of this problem?
  • rwiseman1rwiseman1 Posts: 3
    The brakes on my 2010 Ford Escape 4x4 still periodically continues to 'lock up', however, I've never had it happen while driving forward at any speed. It always happens at vehicle start up when I'm first taking off. I've learned to automatically pump the brakes before I even put the vehicle in drive so I know if it's going to happen. There's absolutely no consistency with the problem. Sometimes it happens everyday for a week and then it'll go a month and not happen at all. I've had one situation where the cruise control wouldn't engage...just simply wouldn't...but then a 1/2 hour later when tried it worked just fine. Ford replaced the battery on mine a few months ago and that seems to have fixed the random traction control issue I was having.
    I had a 1997 Ford F150 that I drove for 13 years prior to owning the Escape and experienced the same brake problem your wife experienced. Ford first claimed it was the mats getting up under the pedal (they were the factory ones!) but then they replaced something to do with the speed control tied to cruise a few times on it and I believe there was a recall with the issue...it could catch on fire.
    Sad to say, but I've learned to just keep a journal in my car writing down the date and time of everytime the issue happens. Figure if I'm ever in a bad accident it's documented by me as well as at the dealership.
    its probably just a weak ground< not an indicator of imminent failure.
  • I am just in the process of buying a 2004 xlt-I am taking it in on weds to get it cked out. I did a search for recalls and seen that there was a recall for a wiring connector to the abs module. Maybe that has something to do with it.
  • I have an 08 Escape 4 cyl, 2WD, 88,000 mi. On dry pavement, started having intermittent traction light with very weird feeling like brakes were randomly being applied.... then ABS light came on and could feel brakes pulsating when applied.... intermittently. After doing some research on the Internet, I found the problem to be a cracked ABS tone wheel. Spent a good part of one day replacing it. Since they are prone to cracking due to corrosion, I CAREFULLY sprayed (don't want to get it on the brakes) all of my ABS tone wheel areas with corrosion inhibitor. Hopefully, preventing it from ever happening again.... I may spray them occasionally.
  • Could you tell me approx how much it is to replace front rotors and pads for the 2005 Escape XLT AWD. I'm having them done in a few days and wonder what to expect. Thanks.
  • gzcgzc Posts: 2
    I paid $830 at a local repair shop. The dealer would charge more, I'm sure.
  • gbs1043gbs1043 Posts: 5
    You need to immediately negotiate a buy back on that vehicle..Time to get tough .. Don't let Ford get away with this. That is completely abnormal for those vehicles. I have a 01, 4WD with a V-6, that has 210,000 miles and have never experienced any of the problems you are talking about..If I were you, I would be PISSED !