Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Brake Problems

1235»

Comments

• My wife's Escape has had the grinding sound since a few months of purchasing it new. We went to a local garage, they looked at the brakes and said they were OK. They lubricated the brake system and the noise stopped.

Recently the noise started again, and was even worse. I would have bet the rivets were digging into the rotors. I went ahead and replaced the brake pads, although there was plenty of pad left behind. I lubricated the back of the brake pads with brake grease as well as the bolts that hold the caliper on.

There is no longer any noise. Problem solved.
  • My wife was driving home today and her brake waring light came on, 2 or 3 more stops and the pedal hit the floor, but she made it home safety. The left front brake line Ford part number 6L8Z-2264-A had been rubbing against the power steering line for 106,000 miles and rubbed a hole in the brake line. Please check yours. Now here is the other problem , I called my Ford dealer to order a new line, National back order 18 to 20 day lead, I suspect mine is not the only one that this has happened to. So again please check yours.
  • gford5gford5 Posts: 1
    Driving my son's 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid with 64K miles on it, red brake warning light comes on as well as "service brake system" shows up in message center. Bought this vehicle used in May with 54k miles on it. Not a lick of problems with it until now ...
    took vehicle in to local garage - checked brakes over - no problems found
    but they did look up on internet that there are issues with 05 Ford hybrids - brake master cylinder and HCU need replacing at a high cost - anyone else have this issue ?
    are there technical service bulletins out for this problem?
    Does Ford do anything to help correct?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,447
    Does that model use braking to regenerate the battery? If it does, I'd assume that is a very complicated system that might have nothing to do with your pads/rotors...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I had this same problem. I don't have the exact wording from my repair but they told me my front axle was cracked. Somehow the ABS brake system ties into the front axle and this was causing the "chatter". They only had to replace a portion of the front axle and now the problem is solved. Sometimes it seems like I didn't have all of my braking power. The ABS did something with the front axle which was broken and that's why it occurred. If you need me to, I can find the invoice and tell you the exact wording. Let me know on this post.
  • Hi Burbondog,

My car (Mazda Tribute, same car as the Escape) started failing the exact same way as you describe:
    It breaks o.k. until lower speed (5...10mph), then it increasingly stutters.
    It breaks o.k., but it seems not to have full break power.
    Could you send me the exact wording and whatever would help to identify this problem?
    And how much did you pay for the repair?
    Thanks for your help !!
  • this is from the invoice: Checked and found left front ABS tone wheel cracked - replaced left front ABS tone wheel - $79. ABS Tone Wheel - $9.99, CV Boot Clamp $5.99.

At the same time they checked and found the right and left front lower control arm rear bushing cracked and pulling away from control arms. Replaced right and left front lower control arm assemblies. $271.10. Did this contribute to the brake problem? I don't know.

They also charged me a diagnosis fee of $118.50 to find these problems. I searched high and low on the internet to find a solution and I vowed if I did I would share it with everyone if it could help them. I bet I had this problem for about six months. It was a relief to have it fixed.
  • My abs light keeps coming on and off any help on why this is happening it doesn't make noise or anything
  • drejdrej Posts: 119

@ttoula said: My 2003 Ford Escape, 90,000 miles, brakes normally until below 5 mph. Below this speed the ABS "chatters" twice before the vechile comes to a complete stop. This occurrs at low braking pressure and on dry pavement. When I remove the ABS 60 amp fuse from under the hood, the problem goes away, but of course I then have no ABS protection. Does anyone have a solution? TT

• drejdrej Posts: 119

on the 2003 Ford Escape, 90,000 miles and abs noise, i had this once at slow speeds "different car though" since the very rusty situation on the sensor to pick-up a the abs sensor caused this "not to mention the wheel bearing was going bad" compounding it and fooling the abs that the wheel was slipping. these wheel brgs have built in sensors. check it out.

• xbrobotxxbrobotx Posts: 1

i have a 2005 Ford Escape XLT v6 (non-hybrid) ~105k miles. I noticed a slight shutter in the front end when taking off form a stop. So slight that I figured it was from the snow or ice, living here in NY thats common, so I didn't think anything off it. Today when I went to stop the front passenger side brake line burst with no warning. My first slight stop was fine, I then had to stop again at a stop sign when i was traveling at about 20mph and thats when the line burst. After researching this it seems to be a common issue with this era Escape, not a common routine maintence requirement but from now on I will be sure to check.

• nancylongnancylong Posts: 6

Firstly you should check out the master cylinder for fluid level and add brake fluid if needed. May be such problem is happening because of not concerning these things. You should also check the brakes lines to find out any leakage.

• a_fabs3a_fabs3 Posts: 1

Report the issue to Ford. They create a case and submit it to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Association). NHTSA seems to consider a recall based on the number of issues reported to them. If we don't report it to the right people, nothing will happen. I had same issues with cracked brake hoses on my 2003 Ford Escape. Mechanic told me the hoses are defective and Ford is just not doing anything about it. I can't imagine - what if my brakes suddenly failed and I slid into a busy intersection with my 3 year old daughter in the car? Please, speak up everyone.

1235»