Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wind noise for Outlander 2007

This is for tracking and discussing solutions to the excessive wind noise for Outlanders. If you are facing similar issues with your Outlanders, please post it here and also any resolutions you received, if any.

My XLS Outlander has excesssive wind noise, especially from the driver side. It's prominent around the windshield pillar (driver side), and the edge where the roof and the driver door meets (well, and the B-pillar). It is more evident (and irritating) during cross-winds.

If there is an easy solution, let's help MITSU save an otherwise good product.

Comments

• Well, it's not my imagination! This wind noise is irritating, for certain. When I reported it to the dealer (after owning the car for only a day or two), one salesman in the showroom actually told me to "turn up the volume" on the sound system" so I wouldn't hear the wind noise! Not helpful at all. The sales manager offered to install (at his cost) wind deflectors over all the windows, because it sometimes sounds like a slightly open window. This hasn't really helped. Also, they tightened up the driver's side door about 1/2". Again, no real solution there.
    I love the car otherwise, but I, too, am disappointed with the noise level from wind. Do you suppose those oversized side mirrors contribute to the problem?
    I'm very interested in posts on this subject.
  • xcellxcell Posts: 14
    I had my wind noise around both passenger and drivers side mirrors fixed or at least reduced. I took this dealer memo with me and show the service dept.

GROUP 42A Body
    Wind Noise From Outside Mirrors - 2007
    Outlander. A wind noise (a light buzz) may
    originate from the outside mirror area of the
    2007 Outlander when driving between 30-40
    mph. The noise may be more apparent in a
    cross wind. To repair this condition, remove
    the plastic cover under the mirror pivot point.
    Apply adhesive backed foam or felt to the two
    tabs, wrapping the foam/ felt around each tab,
    then reinstall the cover. Verify the repair.

Hope this will help you.
  • slaigoslaigo Posts: 18
    Hi,

I am not bothered by wind noise, I accept this as natural, what bothers me is the noise from passing cars, engine noise of adjacent cars at a stop. Maybe, I have sensitive ears, but my other cars which are sedans do not have this problem.

I have noticed that the mountings for the roof rack have gaps, not sure how good the insulation at these locations. I also mentioned before that the seal on the channel where the rack rails run are not sealed. When I depressed the seals, a hollow channel is revealed. Also not sure if this seal should be tight.

I will try to conduct an experiment this weekend, I will try to cover the gaps with some kind of insulation and see the effect of an outside noisy radio next to my window.

Will post results.
  • I'm looking forward to the results of your experiment; anything that can relieve some noise will be appreciated!
    As I said, I really love the car otherwise.
  • mucoolmucool Posts: 24
    I took my Outlander to the dealership today to get the front-end-knock issue (see my post under the front end knock discussion) and the wind noise issue. I could not reproduce the wind noise issue, as there was no cross wind at all today :mad: . The service manager told me to come back anytime when the wind noise could be demo'd, as they were not able to characterize it today. He said, he didn't feel that the mirrors on my SUV needed the fix... I don't agree. Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer. They still have my case # on file, so am just gonna wait for a windy day (the dealership is nearby). The folks there also mentioned that they have one outlander without the roof racks, which seems to have relatively lesser "turbulence" noise.
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer

Oh yes it did "cure" all the rattling sound I hear from the right side mirror. It worked 100% for me. I am glad this was just an extra sealing to do the job and not something permanent I have to live with.

Some described an audible wind noise, which I don't have. In fact I do hear some wind noise (after closely listening) in the cabin, but not loud enough for me to complain about. Tire noise is much better compared to my GF's 03 CR-V, so no complains about that either.
  • Oh yes it did "cure" all the rattling sound I hear from the right side mirror.

I think most of us who are complaining about wind noise is not complaining abaut the "rattle", well, atleast not me. I don't have much of a rattling sound around the mirror.

I experience more wind noise only when it is windy/ when there is a cross-wind / or while driving against the wind. It's prominent from the roof-top, wind-shield and top of the door. I live in North and it is cold and sometimes windy out here. I don't know whether it is true for folks in warmer places.

I am thinking of doing some experiments before taking again to the dealer, like putting some foam tapes where there is a hollow tube seal below the rails, maybe on the top of the door and windshield too...

I will update you all with the results.
  • Someone should try a sunroof wind deflector to see if it helps.
    I think most of us who are complaining about wind noise is not complaining abaut the "rattle", well, atleast not me. I don't have much of a rattling sound around the mirror.

My post was actually a reply to this earlier post by mucool:

The service manager told me to come back anytime when the wind noise could be demo'd, as they were not able to characterize it today. He said, he didn't feel that the mirrors on my SUV needed the fix... I don't agree. Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer.
  • Just to let you know this is not a cold weather wind noise problem. We live in Florida and took our first long highway trip today. It wasn't a windy day, and the wind noise inside the cabin was LOUD at highway speeds. :(
    It wasn't a windy day, and the wind noise inside the cabin was LOUD at highway speeds.

Can we say it's louder compared to make X model X? It's always nice to have a comparison. Because in my Outlander, my closest/best comparison so far is an 03 CR-V, and road/wind noise is louder in the CR-V. I wish I could own a vehicle, especially an SUV, without wind/road noise. I always thought you will have wind/road noise with any vehicle.

Interstate roads are very notorious too in creating loud road noise, especially the ones we have here in IN/IL border area. I wouldn't say they badly maintained because they're in fact being repaired section by section as of now, but I wouldn't call it bump/crack free either. And with speed limits above 50mph on these cracked roads, it's easy to see where the noise can come from.
  • 'Group 42A"' to my dealer hard copy got my wind noise fixed. It is mostly heard on windy days. If you fold the mirror in, the noise goes away. It has gone away.
  • Interesting...I guess I could almost see the shape of the mirrors being less aerodynamic than some. Comparing my Outlander ES to my 06 Element EXP, I'd have to say the wind noise was much worse with the Element.
  • jod3jod3 Posts: 18
    I had this problem as well and found it quite annoying. After taking the car back a second time they seemed to have solved the problem. There is a service bulliten out now as to how this problem should be fixed. It worked for me at least. If you have the problem tell the dealer to contact the company as they do have a fix it seems from my experience. Good luck.
  • Glad to hear you had good results; how exactly did they fix it? What did the service bulletin say?
    Thanks for your input!
    :)
  • abackaback Posts: 1
    any updates regarding the fix for wind noise? Is there anyone who is still having the wind noise problem?
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    Yes me. I still have it and am lazy to take it to dealer. I havent had time to do it either. I hope they are aware of it and wont deny such a problem exists. Otherwise I will be :mad:
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    At least you know how to fix it yourself, and probably better than the dealership would.
  • Wind noise is still there; I'm trying to get used to it. Gets much worse at highway speeds; much worse than my husband's Grand Cherokee, or any other SUV or van type vehicle I've ridden in. If you have successfully had this repaired at your dealership (or if you have fixed it yourself!) please post your solution for me!
    Thanks. :shades:
    Just so that you know, wind noise emanating from mirror is fixable. But sound insulation in general is not. That has to be part of design process. Toyota excels in silent cabins. Flip side is that you pay more for a Toyota. But seriously though, how much does sound insulation material cost? I can trade couple of features that I use less for good sound insulation. I wish Mitsu did some more homework in this area before they put out the product.
  • I figured as much. And I agree with you; do you think that the lightweight roof material (aluminum? not steel) they used in order to lessen risk of rollover contributes to the sound problem? My next car will be a Toyota. :(
    Keep in mind that everything is relative. So my comments have to be taken in context with that. Noise comes in different ways:
    1. windows (except laminated)
    2. Firewall
    3. Undercarriage etc..
    Aluminium roof probably has little to do with it.. but then I am not an automotive engineer..
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    After I fixed the mirror rattle my wind noise is not unusually loud.
    BTW, did you apply the same fix to both mirrors?
    Yes, same to both sides.
    If you use RAV4 as a comparison, I would not qualify RAV4's cabin quieter. If you talk Lexus, this is different story. In RAV4, and Camry for that matter, you will not be able to hear the wind noise due to rattling noises. This is based on what I read on RAV4's forums and my personal experience with a weekend driving an 07 Toyota Camry.To be fair, it was cold outside (-20 Celsius), but even after the car was warmed up the rattling noise was still there and it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard as well from the B-pilar on the driver side.
    RAV4 V6 was unexpectedly noisy too when I test drove it- engine noise, road noise and as a daily driver I don't drive a quiet car either. I was expecting a much quieter ride from a big V6 as I used to enjoy from other V6s I had/drove in the past.
    I had the mirror rattle, got that fixed by the dealer. And I can not really complain of the wind noise, because I think that was pretty much what you get in a decent car. CR-V and RAV-4 performs about the same compared to the Outlander from my experience. The cabin noise is better than I expect it to be.
  • agolbergagolberg Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Mitsu has a service bulletin number or some sort of identification of the wind noise/mirror rattle issue? I just picked up my outlander last week (4wd xls) and am experiencing this issue.
    GROUP 42A Body

Wind Noise From Outside Mirrors - 2007 Outlander.

A wind noise (a light buzz) may originate from the outside mirror area of the 2007 Outlander when driving between 30-40 mph. The noise may be more apparent in a cross wind. To repair this condition, remove the plastic cover under the mirror pivot point.

Apply adhesive backed foam or felt to the two tabs, wrapping the foam/ felt around each tab, then reinstall the cover. Verify the repair.

----

I did the modification myself and it FIXED the problem completely, no doubt about it. Here are some photos of how to remove the cover from the bottom of the mirror.

There is a small opening designed for a screwdriver that allows you to pry it off. Once off, just roll up some foam and place it in the middle of the cover. Then just snap the cover back on.

I went a little farther and put electrical tape on the outside to prevent air from getting into the leading edge of the gap. My plans are to make a piece of black graphics vinyl that will seal it completely and look stealth. Once I get the shape I'll post it.

But for now, absolutely no wind rattles anymore.

Pics...

• Wow..that is awesome. I'm having the same problem so I'll give this a go. Should save me a 90 mile trip to the dealership. Thanks a ton!