Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wind noise for Outlander 2007

Comments

• Thanks for the great DIY post!
  • pettrollpettroll Posts: 6
    I just got my Outlander back after 3 weeks in the shop to fix the front drivers axle. I slid into a curb doing about 30mph, hit it at about a 45 degree vehicle angle on the front drivers tire. The wheels were turned so when the impact occurred the wheel hit the curb straight on - not the tire, the wheel which snapped the whole tire assembly, axle, and all. It was ugly. ANYWAY, my retardism aside, I'm in no mood to take the car back to the dealer anytime soon for anything!! This wind rattle has been nothing short of obnoxious, and I'm very pleased to be able to fix it so easily without dealing with the dealership. I won't say their service was all BAD, because the car seems fixed, but at the same time I had to call THEM as they were horrible about keeping me updated. When parts or the insurance company were delayed they made zero effort to keep me in the loop and I was paying rental costs out of pocket (which they knew quite well.) I digress, thanks for the photos.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    I fixed mine last night and I tested it out today in a 200 km drive in rain and wind and the noise is gone. I drove most of the distance with the radio off so I could observe the noise level. Only some normal wind and road noise, but far from being intrusive.
  • This did help somewhat. (Or maybe I'm becoming accustomed to the wind noise.) But I do believe this mirror fix did help.
    Thanks so much for the tip! ;)
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    "I posted previously about wind noise. I found that it was coming from the space between the bottom of the outside mirror and the mirror mount. Look at it and you will see there is a small space for air to pass through. I put a strip of Velcro in the space and the noise was eliminated."

Can anybody guess which forum this came from?

No, it is actually from 2007 Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair, post #144
    LOL... Are they using the same supplier for the side mirrors?
  • Even after trying out all the fixes for the side mirrors, the hard reality is that my Outlander has excessive wind noise. I enjoy driving it on all roads, except Interstate; on which I drive 50 miles each day :cry: . Once I start driving close to or over 70mph, it feels as if a windstorm is moving all over the vehicle. I especially hate the noise of the front bumper cutting through the wind and the wind hitting over the hood and the windshield.

If anyone, anyone has any suggestions or fixes for this problem, please please let me know. Else sooner or later, I will have to cut my loses and trade-in for something else.

I was planning to make long road trips this summer with my new vehicle; but now I have to go back to Hertz to do those stuffs :mad:
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    Better trade it in for another SUV which does not have any wind noise. It's hard to live with a vehicle you don't like. As for me, my Outlander is perfectly OK. It's not perfect, but close to it. I still enjoy driving it like the first day I bought it, especially now that mileage has improved vastly. :shades: ...Outeverything... Everything.... :)

And talking of long trips, Winconsin here we come... Too bad the weather has been very unpredictable this past few weeks. Bikes racks and the new mountainbike are all ready for an off-road fun with the Outlander. Can't wait til it's summer already. ;)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    Thought about a bug deflector? It might "change the pattern" of the wind flow and make the noise tolerable. If you get one that bolts on you could always take it off and eBay it if makes the noise worse. Maybe check the manufacturers listed at SEMA and see if there's a body kit/front spoiler that'll fit.

Really shooting in the dark now, but maybe some different tires would help.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Try hood bug deflector, side window deflectors, and sunroof deflector. Add insulation under hood, in doors, and in roofliner.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    If you read some of the other forums (RAV4, Acura etc.) you also hear complaints about wind noise. I think the rest of the car is so quiet compared to older cars that it makes the wind noise stick out a lot more.

Personally, my Outie is quiet enough for comfortable cruising.
  • How does one go about "adding insulation" to the roofliner and doors? Do body shops do this sort of thing?
    I think a body shop would be the place to go if you don't want to do it yourself.

Do an Advanced Search for "dynamat Varmint" for a bunch of posts about a member who used dynamat on his CR-V to try to quieten the road noise.

Here's one example post of his:

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: Accessories & Modifications" #494, 27 Apr 2005 10:18 am

• nbmannbman Posts: 5
    Another good site for sound deadining information:
    http://secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    Lots of great hands on information on their forum section.
    It seems like the mirror wind/noise has been fixed by Mitsubishi at the factory starting February build. New buyers, check out the manufacturing date on the driver's door (B-pillar).
  • dodo2: If it is fixed from Feb build, what would be the solution for buyers who bought it before that? Any offical TSB's?

And thanks for those who gave various suggestions to reduce wind noise. I want to keep adding dynamat insulation, by removing door panels and firewall to be the last option. Does they void the warranty of the car? Can the insulation be done on the pillars too (since the pillars have airbags)

Does tightening the doors so that it is more pressed against the frame, make any improvement? The speaker on my driver side door seems to be loose. Anyone noticed that? Also, does an improper windshield installation cause more wind noise?
    As far as I know, there is no TSB per say, but dealers have a memo on how to fix it (it's somewhere on this thread). The instructions in the memo match the actual Mitsu factory fix (I have seen the mirror plastic caps from a February build).
    I did fix mine as shown in the DIY instructions posted in this thread and it works. When I go in for my first oil change I will ask the dealer if I can get the "official" fix, just for the sake of comparing the results. Either way, this is not an issue for me anymore.
    My ride is fine the way it is, with some wind noise that I consider normal for this car. I guess it depends on what you compare it to.
  • slaigoslaigo Posts: 18
    I noticed that the wind noise has
    somehow abated on my Outie, not sure of the reasons. I suspect that it takes the seals from the windows several opening and closing to make it tighter. I used to hear all the noise from cars passing by, but that was 3 months ago and several opening and closing of the windows.

Check the seals in your windows, there might be some kinks or something that prevents them from closing tight.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Who is going to be first and test if it helps wind noise?
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Who is going to be first and test if it helps wind noise? They are not available from my dealer yet.
  • I remember from an old post about another vehicle with bad wind noise that he fixed this by beefing up the door seals. He did this by removing them and inserting clear plastic tubing inside, and re-installing.

Check with the dealer before messing with anything in the vicinity of any air bag.
  • gosokgosok Posts: 3
    Pictures of the official Mitsubishi fix can be found here, taken from a Feb 07 built.

http://outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=122#p122
  • lion14nlion14n Posts: 1
    :mad: :lemon: Well let me start out by saying I have been with Mitsubishi for 9 year and never had a problem until I purchased the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. I have been with the same dealership and have paid off 5 cars with them, so I am very very LOYAL but things have changed. The car has been in for the wind noise 5 times and no luck in it being fixed. The Regional Rep came down and said that it is a DESIGN FLAW in the vehicle and that is all, so I have opened a review and a third party mediation, but hey they work for the corporation so how do you think that will GO,Yeah right I will lose. Anyways I have went back to the dealer and they told me they will do what they can for me after they hear the results of the mediation hearing. If nothing is done by the dealer then I will have a BIG SURPRISE for them coming in the next few days. Now can I live with the noise maybe but my wife can't and it is hers so NO! The dealer needs to get me out of the vehicle and I am willing to stay with the product and go into a 08 Lancer GTS, is this to much to ask for? I think not, but if this is what PHIL LONG of MOTOR CITY in Colorado Springs, CO does to and treats there loyal customers then BEWARE if you read this and are from the Springs. Phil Long is HUGE in the Springs, so if you think it is just the MITS product, THINK AGAIN!

PISSED OFF LOYAL CUSTOMER! :mad: :lemon:
  • The noise is really bugging me too. doesn't bother my husband so much, but I guess we ladies are sensitive to noise. (!) Please post your results from the mediation; if the company treats you right, there may be hope for the rest of us.....
    Check out Edmunds' new Dealer Ratings and Reviews. Spread the word. ;)

• suku1suku1 Posts: 1
    seems many have issues with wind noise. I too am very upset with the wind noise (well, also road noise) in my 2007 Outlander. Went multiple times to the dealer, did the fix for mirror as per TSB, but in vain. My wife thought that I was getting paranoid when she saw me putting tapes all over the pillar-window-door joints, to identify the cause of noise. Finally the dealer replaced the mirror. There was little improvement after that, but still the wind noise is very bad. Worse than any small or large vehicle I have driven. Travelling in my friend's mini-van made me envious(because of quietness) of his vehicle which I had earlier categorised as "ugly-looking".

reasons for wind noise I can think of :
    1) Design problem - air flow around pillars and door: When closed, the front doors are supposed to be below the pillar A (ie. it should not be protruded) and rear doors should lie lower than the front doors, so that air won't hit the projected areas. There is inconsistency in my vehicle. Door seals may also be improper.
    2) lighter door and pillar frames (overall vehicle body). Lightness improves mileage, but also wind noise :(
    3) less or no sound deadening material placed within the panels.

I do not know what can be the solution. Maybe next I will try side-window deflector. Unfortunately the dealer from whom I bought the vehicle is very very far away (went there to get the best deal :mad: )...and so the closest dealer who now does the maintenance will not have much incentive to satisfy me :cry:
  • I just got my XLS a week ago and I took it on a 2000km trek up to Northern BC and did not notice a loud wind noise what so ever.
    The only wind noise I heard is when I had the sunroof completely opened and the bracket that helps seal the window sticks up like a sore thumb and creates wind noise!( Doesn't help when you want to cruise at 140 km/hr. I'm wondering if anybody has installed the sunroof visor? And does it alleviate this problem? Thanks.
    Oh yeah and my Outlander rocks! :)
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    I did, and yes it does help a lot with the wind noise. But as a warning, it will not eliminate it totally, especially at high speeds.

Here's a pic tutorial/walthrough on how to install it: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=56
  • jojo16jojo16 Posts: 6
    I test drove second time today to find out how bad wind noise was.
    First time I only drove around town and did not notice any thing to complain.
    I tried short freeway drive at 60+mph but did not feel so bad.
    I also tried Lexus RX 400h yesterday.
    Of course it was much nicer and more quiet but not to the extent to justify $20K difference.
    I also noticed XLS interior was not that bad to complain for the same reason.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    I've had mine back for a few weeks and the wind noise is gone.

They said I was the first to complain and the first one they fixed.
This discussion has been closed.