Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Clutch questions

2»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,582
    Yeah, it is interference and most likely is in the head unit. I hope I did not poke too much fun your way; I had the visual of a "rough idol" in my mind and it tickled me just the right way. :D
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No problemo.

When mine did that I tried a new fuse, then a higher amp fuse. Finally gave up and replaced the head unit and it was cured. The speakers and everything else was OK.
  • kent1kent1 Posts: 2
    Had my clutch replaced at 57,000 due to clutch chatter when cold and also clutch fade under load.
    Did not go to dealer, but garage who has done work for me before. Had a new factory clutch replaced, told me oem flywheel for that model and year was not available? resurfaced flywheel and clutch kit installed total $825. Price was right but now I have clutch chatter out of first and in reverse and down shifting worse then before. Was Told to drive car to break in clutch, took a few launches to help speed up break in. 10 days later not much difference. He told me to bring back but why do I still have this chatter? wondering if I should have gone to dealer?
  • kent1kent1 Posts: 2
    Brakes make a squeeling noise. Had pads checked and rotors. both ok. noise continues, goes away when brakes are applied. My guy put some material behind each pad to reduce possible cause for noise. Worked for a short time. Now it's back. really notice in parking garage. How to solve?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    What kind of pads are you using? If they are semi-metalics they'll be noisy no matter what. Ceramics and non-metallics are quieter.

-mike
    Price was right but now I have clutch chatter out of first and in reverse and down shifting worse then before.

Have you replaced the fluid?

-mike
  • a good shade tree mech is "looking for input" before jumping into a clutch swap.
    ? those that have done it ...will you do it again or pay someone else?
    ? is this difficult and require any special tools?
    ? how high would I have to lift the car from the floor?
    ? would i need a helper?
    -- original clutch got 105K miles - pretty happy with it, i enjoy driving hard but don't race (old age and wisdom)
    ? what's advantage in going to another clutch vs. the Subaru stock - taking into account the dealer price - ouch!
    ? recommendation on clutch kit manufacturer and distributor web address?
    ? replace or resurface the flywheel?
    ? if replace then from what manft'r and distributor?
    thanks!!!!
    Royal PITA to swap it, hard part is splitting it from the engine block. Especially at 105k miles. Should pay about $300-400 max in labor from a shop.

I've done several, and have paid to get recent ones done.
    You'll need a clutch tool, and if you don't have air tools, you'll need them as well to break the bolts.
    I'd say you need the car at least 1'-2' off the ground, enough to get the trans out from under it, you'll also need a trans jack or 2nd jack.
    Several helpers would help
    I've used Exedy clutches as replacements, better than stock and cheaper
    I'd go for the Exedy Sport Organic Clutch kit (which includes the pilot and throwout bearing, and pressure plate)
    I replaced mine with the Exedy Lightened Flywheel, easy upgrade while you are in there.

Hope this helps.

-mike
  • thanks much Mike!

I've got air tools but i do know how difficult it is to change a clutch from a laying position vs. working under a lift. I think that i'll follow your lead and pay my local trusted mechanic ...with a lift.

Many clutch options - is this the one that you were referring to?
    http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=11735+4294967264+1719+11921+9191
    Exedy Clutch Kit 2002-2005 Subaru Impreza Pull Type Clutch FJC521; FJD024; BRG601. Availability: In Stock Usually Delivers in 2 to 3 days
    FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)
    2002-2005 Subaru Impreza W0133-1653770 $273.95

Flywheel is pricey at $471.95 - is this the one you were referring to?
    http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?Ne=28&N=11735+4294967264+1719+5798

Thanks so much!
    david
    That is the standard clutch kit. I'd go for the W0133-1597403 for the WRX Sport Organic. Gives you a bit extra bite and combined with the lightened flywheel will add a little extra umph. The $ you are saving from getting it done at a dealer would offset the higher prices for the better parts.

I assume your car is a WRX?

-mike
  • Yes - WRX.
    I went to the Exedy web site and came up with the following:
    Clutch Kit - Organic (as you suggest)
    - http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/15802

and the flywheel:
    - http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/FF01

prices all seem to be the same regardless of distributor for a combined total of $1,020.00.
    Dealer wanted $1,596 installed which included $257 for a new flywheel. Difference of $600 should be labor for my local mechanic ... and i'd get a better clutch and flywheel.

thanks,
    david
    Cool Cool and your local mechanic may not charge you $600 I'd be suprised if he did.

-mike
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Posts: 340
    150,000 miles later and it appears that my '02 WRX might be needing a new clutch soon. While I'm at it, should I consider putting in a short throw shifter?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Even though they work together they're really completely separate jobs.

May as well, though.
    Thanks for the reply, Yeah, I know they're separate issues, but one got me thinking about the other. Thanks again.
    Turns out I'll need a new clutch and a new radiator. While they're at it, should I consider any other upgrades? I would prefer to stick with genuine Subaru parts, either OEM, SPT or STi.
  • I only have 45K miles on car and already need a new clutch. Dealer is pricey and indpendent mechanic says that Subaru clutches have issues not acknowledged by Subaru. He suggeststhat I get repalcement at www.fastwrx.com, but I have no clue what to get. I like speed, but do not want to affect daily driving adversely.

Any thoughts?
2»
This discussion has been closed.