Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thomasw98thomasw98 Member Posts: 29
    I wouldn't touch one of these cars for anything more than $3000 below invoice (including all the rebates or whatever you want to call them). This company is teetering on the edge of Chapter 11 bankruptcy (my guess is that they will have to take drastic action within 6 months), so who knows what will happen to the warranty and service needs for this car after you buy it?!?! With all that risk, I need a very special price. Maybe I won't get it...in which case, I will stick with the import brands.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I don't know about the comment on GM and bankruptcy,or how it will affect warranties. All I know is a trailblazer with an msrp of 32000 barely wholesales in its 07 version used for 18000 or less. Even 10000 off msrp is no giveaway. The 18000 figure is probably highly optimistic as the consumer books (kbb.com and nada.com) are high as prices of 20 mpg vehicles drop as we speak. Look up the value of your Acadias trade in value used in its 07 version with 16000 miles and add 20%. That would be your max target price on a new one.

One fellow mentioned a lease on a 08 34000 msrp truck (which wholesales used for about 20000 in its 07 version) for about 200 and change with no money down and a 39 month 12000 mile lease. He cited worries about resale as the reason for leasing and he may be right. (Perhaps 250 or so for a 40000 truck wholesaling for 24000 in 12 mo?)

I don't know how they calculate TMV, but many times it is a gift to dealers. (the guys advertising comment may have some weight) It may truly be what others are paying but you have to remember most folks don't do well buying cars.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    jfritsch-

What is your deal with always quoting everyone "WHOLESALE PRICE"?? Who cares about wholesale? We aren't wholesalers. We aren't buying wholesale. The forum title isn't "GMC ACADIA WHOLESALE PRICES AND WHOLESALE BUYING EXPERIENCES."

Wholesalers buy cars at auctions which most of the time are cars that the dealers are unable or unwilling to sell. It is an entirely different scenario. Look at trade-in or retail pricing on used cars. Wholesale prices simply have no place in this or any Edmund's Forum discussion.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If one is looking at a new 08 Dodge Ram 1500, msrp 42000, and finds
    the 07 version with 16000 miles used has a trade in value of 20000, It is useful to know that that is what his 08 vehicle will wholesale (trade in, nada wholesale same thing for our purposes) for in 12 months or so after purchase and invoice - $8000 or 11000 off msrp is still NO DEAL by any means.(there is probably lots more dealer cash on the new ones)

Dealer retail in the used consumer books is always an optimistic value and now more so on trucks. Now even the trade in value is more optimistic than usual for some 20mpg vehicles as many are selling retail for the trade in amount. Some dealers have stopped accepting trucks and SUV's in trade except for huge discounts from book.

If a 42000 msrp 08 Acadia has a trade in value of 27000 in its 07 version its just good to know that 7000 off msrp is no great shakes on a new one. Especially since 27000 may be optimistic.

These trade in values are in the kbb and nada consumer books. If some dealer offers a fellow invoice - rebate- military discount- college discount - loyalty - college dropout discount - for 11000 off a 42000 msrp vehicle that trades in for 20000 in 12 months its just good to know that you haven't got jack before one goes running home to his spouse with his 11000 off "savings" and once in a lifetime deal off a heavily padded msrp and invoice.

If you click at the top of the page under (used cars) you can get edmunds used car appraiser determining trade in values from wholesale prices at auctions similar to kbb or nada. I've always used trade-in and wholesale interchangeably as regards the consumer books. Nada wholesale is called trade-in in their consumer book along with avg loan and dealer retail and kbb calls it trade-in also so perhaps we have a misunderstanding in terminology.

As usual
    Good luck
    --jjf

jfritsch-

What is your deal with always quoting everyone "WHOLESALE PRICE"?? Who cares about wholesale? We aren't wholesalers. We aren't buying wholesale. The forum title isn't "GMC ACADIA WHOLESALE PRICES AND WHOLESALE BUYING EXPERIENCES."

Wholesalers buy cars at auctions which most of the time are cars that the dealers are unable or unwilling to sell. It is an entirely different scenario. Look at trade-in or retail pricing on used cars. Wholesale prices simply have no place in this or any Edmund's Forum discussion.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who just purchased a new GMC Acadia within the past six months and whether it had anything to do with gas prices. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than June 23, 2008.
  • glynetteglynette Member Posts: 3
    What is the $1000 Conquest?
    thanks
  • mongo7mongo7 Member Posts: 1
    Here is what I paid

SLE
    red Tintcoat
    Convenience pkg
    Cargo pkg
    Preferred pkg (pwr seats)
    7 passenger seats (optional on SLE)

32k before cash or finance pkg.

Purchased in the S.F. Bay area.

2.9% financing and $750 cash back.

Not the best deal, I think.
  • cacoopercacooper Member Posts: 4
    Just got home from the dealership - here's what we got (after looking over a month ago, then getting a call from the salesman about a dealership only special):

liquid silver SLE w/preferred package $23,800, 2.9% for 60 mos.

I live in the Sacramento (CA) area. My first choice color was already sold so I called other local dealerships at see if they would match the deal. Elk Grove said they could only go as low as the 26k range (which is still better than my GMC supplier code price). Other dealerships were only offering the $500 conquest cash, a rebate for having a car that's newer than 1999 that wasn't a GMC, and another $500 for something. My understanding is that most of the inventory is located in Southern CA.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who purchased a crossover vehicle in the past couple of months. If you are a new crossover vehicle owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, August 21st.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• evensteven34evensteven34 Member Posts: 2
    I would have thought this forum would be more active with the employee sale going on. Hopefully someone can help me out today.

Received the below quote from a dealer in Minneapolis yesterday. Wanted to get some opinions.

2008 GMC Acadia FWD SLT-1
    Carbon Black
    Ebony Leather
    8-pass seating
    Pwr liftgate
    Convenience Pkg

MSRP: $35,795
    Price offered: $32,590.38
    Rebate: $1500
    Final price $31,090.38 (+tax/lic/fees)

Not sure it's that great a deal. My math has another $1000 o MSRP, but either way, this offer looks to be about what I would expect Invoice to be.

Thanks!
  • mistermayormistermayor Member Posts: 7
    Was very much interested in the Acadia SLT-II therefore went to the local GMC dealer today. He informed me that GMC as of this past Wednesday will no longer lease any of their vehicles....including the Acadia..Is this true? If it is, then its going to kill their business...I mean the Acadia I was looking at is pretty well loaded with an msrp of about 45K! Thats in the luxury car price range...might as well hold on a bit and wait for discounts on bmw, lexus and land over. Purchasing this puts it in the same monet bracket as those mentioned above, difference been, I can lease a bmw or lexus for that or maybe even less. Sad to see GM doing this as its puts the Acadia out of my list of vehicles to consider.
  • johnnymac2johnnymac2 Member Posts: 1
    I think I did fairly well on a recent Acadia SLE. MSRP was $34,885 and I got it for $30,080 with GM employee pricing and $1,500 rebate. Vehicle came with Preferred package, 7 -passenger seating, Convenience package, trailering package and heated washer fluid. The car will arrive here in 3 days and then I will have the opportunity to begin sampling the MPG. What I've seen here isn't encouraging but I am a 65mph driver and easy on the gas pedal so I'm hopeful ir will prove to be at least as good as my 1997 Safari or better.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    MPG may not be too disappointing. I picked up a 2008 Saturn XR FWD yesterday afternoon. Reset the DIC mpg display when I hit the expressway. Drove 12 or so miles 55-70 before I got to my exit...showing 25.5 at that time. Followed the wife to a steakhouse by the mall near that exit, then about 5 miles home over rural type city streets. Another 20 miles to work this morning...half city streets, half expressway and still showing almost 22 mpg. My '00 trooper would get around 17-18 average over the same route and similar driving. Looked real good at steady speeds on the expressway, could tell the drop in mpg at stoplights, etc. I only have 55 miles on the odometer, but hope the decent mileage continues.
  • mjansen1mjansen1 Member Posts: 46
    So are people geting the employee price (which I hear is 10% off invoice) AND the $1,000 cash to buyer on Acadias?
    If so, I may have to finally take a closer look at Acadias.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    You can still do better than the employee pricing on the 2008. There were slightly better deals before the employee pricing came out and much better financing (60@2.9).
  • mark29mark29 Member Posts: 6
    I am planning on buying an 08 Acadia. Can I expect to
    do any better than the employee pricing and the $1000 rebate ?
    If so, how much better ?
    I am looking at the SLT1, I live in NC and the sticker prices have been
    between 38K to 40K.

Thanks
  • jelly422jelly422 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to get an Acadia and am wondering if I could get it for around 24k. I'm in Southern California. Any thoughts? Recommended dealers?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's a stretch...unless you had a few grand in GM card dollars or some other bonus.

The employee price on a zero option FWD SLE is $28k, and there's a $1k rebate...so without anything extra on your part, it won't happen.
    Before I got my (internet misprint) deal for 23,800 on an Acadia SLE with the power seat/leather wrapped steering wheel option the best dealerships could do for me was around 27k - that was just from calling around. This is in the Sacramento area. My understanding is that most of the inventory has moved to the Southern California area.
  • emmers82emmers82 Member Posts: 5
    wow! where'd you get that deal? I'm in the sacto area...I'd be there tomorrow if possible. thanks! :)
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    So have you found out the real MPG of it?

I am a 55mpg driver and could be easier on pedal.... Anyway what do you get?
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Member Posts: 26
    I am shopping for a 2008 SLT-2 AWD with Nav. and DVD Ent. Package in NY, NJ area. The MSRP is around $46k depending on minor options (no financing). One dealer informed me that GM is offering a $1000 rebate; another told me it was $2000. Earlier today I offered two dealers $35,700, which is the invoice price less 10%, less 2k (rounded). Both dealers let me walk. How off do you think I am? There was no one in either dealership and both had plenty of 08's on their lots. I don't think that my offer was that low. In fact, I initially offered one of the dealers $1,000 less. Has anyone purchased a similar model lately? Given the current economy and the fact that I have the cash, I am looking for a real deal.
  • 20thaeguy20thaeguy Member Posts: 12
    Yeah it seems as if dealers are still not quite getting it that the economy is in terrible shape and people aren't buying SUV's. I would buy one if someone sold it to me for near cost but that's it.
    Emmers82,

I got my deal at Hubacher. It was an internet pricing error - but we looked a month before we purchased and they were fair from the beginning (willing to start at the invoice price etc.) I don't think we're suppose to post names of sales people on this site, but this gentleman works only Friday through Sunday and he just bought an Acadia for his wife. I hope that helps!

As far as the gas mileage, I used to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Acadia is quite heavier (over 6k pounds). I thought I'd see an increase in mileage on my 45 mile daily commute (highway) but I'm a little dissappointed with what I'm seeing - and that my new car doesn't have the instand mpg feature my old one did. I'm figuring it on old fashioned math.

Also - and I'm generally happy with the vehicle considering it was a necessity and it fits all of our criteria, but it's huge. I didn't realize how big it felt during the test drive until I've lived with it for 45 days and 5k miles. If you're looking for a large roomy vehicle this is for you. I'm not sure it would be comfortable for someone under 5'5 to drive. Sounds silly, but at 5'5 I had to 'grow' into it.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    $11K off MSRP is a bit steep, but if a particular unit is sitting on the lot for more than 3 months, there is a great chance the dealer had to repay the car to the manufacturer.

Ideally the dealer would like to recoup the cost of the car and lost interest, but reality is that in this economy we would all rather not have lost 20%-40% of our market investments.

Realizing losses is always painful, but losing interest money on the car month after month while it whithers away baking in the sun on the parking lot is no way to recoup it.
  • grusongruson Member Posts: 17
    I am also curious to what kind of deals people are getting now days.

GM is hurting...big time. The GM discount did not help that much either.

I am looking at a 2009 SLT-2 with navigaiton, etc. List price $47k.

They offered it for $42k but I know they can go lower than that. They said that was with the GMC discount.

Only $5k off...I was getting offers around $10k off when looking at new Tahoes.
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Member Posts: 26
    About three weeks ago, I was looking for a 2008 SLT-2 w/ Nav. and DVD Ent. in white. All three local dealers that let me walk had one with those specks on the lot. Today, ALL three dealers still have them on the lot. I am going to try again in the next few days. Maybe October has been a slow month (of course it has!) and they will want or need to make a sale before the end of the month. I am looking for about $10k off of list.
  • grusongruson Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, that seems fair to me in this economy. Let me know if you find one that takes $10k off. That is what I am looking for as well.

I am going to ask a couple of more dealers this week, as the month ends to see if they will take it.
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    How come your Acadia weighs over 6k lbs?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,554
    Might be looking at the GVWR, rather than the curb weight..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vbryant01vbryant01 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the last 2008 SLT-2 that the dealer had in the lot here in Columbus, Ohio and paid $34,150. It is fully loaded with Nav and Ent pkg and list was over $46K. I started shopping this dealer over the internet three weeks ago. After working with him for a bit, offered my GM employee pricing and then just yesterday, he gave me an extra $750 in "cash certificates." I'm please...I think I got a great deal. I wish I could have done better on the interest rate but banks are tightening up. I'll try to refi in 6 mos. Hope this helps! :shades:
  • tramm7tramm7 Member Posts: 4
    I think that is a great price! Based on your sales contract can you break down the 12K in discounts by component (factory incentive, employee pricing, loyalty rebate, cash certificates, etc)? Also, can you share the details from the windows sticker (Factory MSRP vs dealer add ons; maybe list the option group name). I would love a scan of the window sticker but don't want to overburden you/.

I would love to make that deal work here in Texas but need to understand all the details.
    That is an unbelievable price.

I just bought an SLT-2 with a sticker of $39,905 for
    $33,305. Invoice was $37,095. Rebate of $2500 and
    manufacturer to dealer cash of $1000 puts me at $290
    under invoice. Your deal has to be about $5000 under invoice.

Great deal, good job.

Capital One has a rate of 5.53% for up to 60 months.
    I think that is a pretty good rate.
    08 Acadia SLT-2 $36,650
    Dual Skyscape Sunroof $1,300
    White Diamond Tricoat $795
    Trailer Package $425
    Destination $735

MSRP $39,905

Invoice (I Think) $37,095

Purchase price $35,800
    Tax 3% $1,074
    Tag $ 68

Total $36,947
    Rebate -$ 2,500

Total Out The Door $34,447

This was bought in Raleigh, NC on 10/29
    GM has the $2500 rebate and $1000 manufacturer to dealer
    support in NC. I had been shopping pretty hard for a few weeks
    and thought I got a very good deal until I saw the deal a couple
    of posts up. I am still satisfied with my deal but if I could have
    gotten pricing like the previous person I would have been under $30k
    out the door.
  • jmb333jmb333 Member Posts: 1
    What dealer in Columbus did you purchase from?
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    A Suburban does not even weigh 6,000 lbs.
    I thought this forum was about buying experiences - I just happen to add that I wasn't sure about the gas mileage and that this car was heavier than my last car. The sticker on the door confirms what the dealer told me regarding the weight of the vehicle. Maybe the weight concious people want to start a new forum?
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    They offer $10K Tahoes and Suburbans because they are more expensive to start with and use mroe fuel so are less popular (especially at $4 a gallon, not so muc now at $2). So GM has to try really hard to shift them compared to cheaper, more refined, better fuel economy Acadias.
  • canderson35canderson35 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any insight into the price of 2008 SLT-1 model with 8,000 miles? Features include
    sunroof/moonroof
    19" wheels
    trailer hitch
    rear cargo mats

I was quoted $27k which seems reasonable, but I'm never sure...
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    There is not an Acadia on the planet that weighs more then 6,000 lbs. They weigh under 5,000 lbs. Still fat and bloated, but not three tons.

Vehicles are required by law to list the gross vehicle weight on the door which is the total curb weight PLUS the wieght that the vehicle is designed to carry with all passengers and gear.
  • kajunguy77kajunguy77 Member Posts: 1
    I just walked away from

2009 SLT2 White Diamond
    Sunroof
    DVD
    HUD

MSRP 43,120
    Invoice 40,500

Offer 37244

Walked away...mistake?
    I have been watching this thread for about 2 months. I was pretty sure I wanted an Acadia. I appreciate everybody sharing their information. The popularity of this vehicle made it hard to get a steal. I pulled the trigger on the day after Thanksgiving.

2009 SLT-2, White diamond, NAV, Entertainment system, Dual sun roof, technology package, 19 inch wheels
    MSRP (on sticker incl destination charge): 47,775
    Sale Price (incl rebate and conquest cast of 1,750): 40,771

DFW area in TX.
  • emmers82emmers82 Member Posts: 5
    I too have been watching this forum for nearly a year now...I just can't justify buying a car that looses 30+% value after one year. And with the flood of lease returns (hence the no more leases), the used market is flooded. I think I'll wait for 2009's to start coming back (I am lucky that I am able to wait, some people need a car asap). With GM's current financial turmoil, I don't see why they don't drop prices on these lamda vehicles...they're making a killing. I like this vehicle, and I'd like to buy from an American based company, but I know that I can get a better value elsewhere. I'd appreciate any feedback :confuse:
  • kmchotwheelzkmchotwheelz Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone had any info on this.The dealer has it listed as new, my wife called and asked about it and they didnt even seem to know it was there.Its an 08 slt2 loaded.The redtag price is 37401,msrp is 43485.Is it possible for them to sell it as new?

Thanks
  • mojo18mojo18 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP $38,265. This is a Summit White Acadia 2008, Only 42 miles, FWD, 3.6L V6 with Convenience Pkg, Luxury Package, Trailer Package, Power Liftgate, Head Up Display. No Entertainment pkg or Nav. Got $5k off. No up front money am paying $660 per month on 60 month buy (5.9% apr). Lease price was $600 for 39 months, 15k miles, $0 down. Dealer would not budge past the $5k discount price. Feel I got a reasonable deal. Love the car.
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    It was probably a demo. I bought a demo Avalanche a couple of years ago. I got them to take an additional 15 cents a mile off for the excess mileage. My argument was that they charge 15 cents a mile for a lease overage. It worked.
    I would try to get true invoice less $600 for the mileage. It has 4000 miles more than a new car, so it has 4000 less life on the tires, probably never had an oil change. All these things have a value.
    Good luck
  • moochermoocher Member Posts: 5
    The vehicle is new as long as it has never been titled. Interestingly, if you finance, banks will charge a higher "used" vehicle rate even if a you buy a previously titled vehicle with as little as 500 miles. Banks will charge a lower interest rate in this case or even in the case of a never-titled vehicle with say 10,000 miles. Nobody ever said banks were smart.

That said, unless the dealer bends significantly on the red-tag price, you can probably find a used equivalently dressed Acadia with extremely low miles for somewhere in the very low $30K range. I usually always buy new, but I'm close to buying a used '08 with 10K miles (origianl MSRP $41K) for $28K. I'm not sure why the depreciation has been so hard on these vehicles. Perhaps there are concerns about a GM bankruptcy which could put your warranty at risk as you are in reality an unsecured creditor.
  • pugmamapugmama Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Could you tell me what dealershoip in Columbus you used? I live in Columbus, as well, and can't seem to find just the right deal on a red jewel tinted SLT1 or 2.

Thanks!
  • kariellenkariellen Member Posts: 2
    Which dealership in D/FW? I live in TX and I'm thinking about purchasing the same/similar Acadia. Thanks!

Kari
    James Wood in Denton. Please email me if you want further info (as we are not allowed to post telephone number or name of salespeople here). I am happy to share.