Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• geo16geo16 Posts: 3
    We're looking at a Saturn Outlook lease for a 2008 XE AWD with the additional items being remote start, backup sensor, and special paint. The MSRP is $32600 here in NJ. I'm working on a lease with no money down (just $1495 to cover the basics) for 39 months and 12k. The dealer has quoted me a monthly payment of $351. I know the details need filling in but is this a godd deal?
  • disney2disney2 Posts: 25
    Seems low to me. Which dealership in NJ? Thanks.
    Sorry fro spazzing out. The monthly was $451 (not $351). Dealership in Morristown. The residual is 62% and supposedly the car is selling for $31600.
    Sorry it was $451.
  • w2gew2ge Posts: 3
    Any ideas on Outlook leasing with 2009 models coming out soon. My guess is 2008 residual will lower but cap cost may also be lower?

I'm thinking about holding off for the 2009's as gas mileage is supposed to be better(?)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi w2ge. Unfortunately, it appears as though the days of reasonable lease payments on the Saturn Outlook may have come to an end. Manufacturers are being forced to take all sorts of charges because they have overestimated vehicles' residual values over the years. As a result, many of them are cutting back on their lease support. This month GMAC raised the interest rate that it charges on leases by 2% to an unattractive 8.25%. I don't expect the 2009 model's lease program to be any better when it is introduced, but we won't know for certain until it is introduced.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • w2gew2ge Posts: 3
    Yep... That's what I found out since posting my question (which was on 7/14). Just turned in my 2005 Honda Pilot as the lease was up and new Pilot leases are $600 and the sales people are being advised to try NOT to lease them to customers. My 2005 payment was only $399 a month and I think I gave them $2k at the start.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Outlook lease is 650 or more a month... IF AVAILABLE AT ALL! I see many companies are no longer leasing SUV's and trucks, GM may be next to do the same.

btw, let alone the unattractive interest rate, watch the residual drop drastically..... (I HOPE I'm WRONG :cry: )
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Yeah, w2ge, Honda's lease program on the '09 Pilot is pretty bad right now as well. If I was in the market for a new SUV, I personally would probably go with a Toyota Highlander. Toyota has a very attractive lease program on it in my area right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 835
    I have been wanting an Enclave/Acadia/Outlook for quite a while. Got more interested when the GM Employee pricing and $1500 rebate actually showed up as a little discount from what it seemed folks were paying earlier. Looked around and finally found the Outlook XR with Enhanced Convenience package, Convenience package, Premium Trim Package & Trailering package gave a little better equipped vehicle that I could find in the Enclave/Acadia. Looked around and found one in Memphis like that with 7 passenger package (Ocean Mist ext. Tan interior) and one 70 miles away with 8 passenger (Red Jewelcoat ext. Tan interior). Decided to go with the Ocean Mist...MSRP $35,525 - employee pricing $31,230 + $75 doc/processing fee and Tenn Sales tax. Dealer included mud flaps, paint - fabric protection package, 1 year oil change, rotation. Good experience and a good vehicle.

Picked it up last night and reset the average MPG when I hit the expressway. 55-70 mph for 12 or so miles until I hit my exit was showing 25.5 mpg. Another 5 miles home over city streets, then 20 to work this morning and the DIC is still at almost 22 mpg. If that holds up, that will be 4-5 mpg better than my '00 Trooper. I'm real happy with the Outlook so far.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 381
    What's the deal with GM raising the base price of the Outlook FWD XR by $3000 on the 2009 vs. 2008? In these difficult economic times with people tightening their belts why would they raise the price so much? Am I missing something?
  • On the 2009 XR heated leather seats and 7-passenger seating come standard. These were added options on the 2008. I'm sure that has something to do with the price increase.
    I don't think that is correct. I purchased a 2008 XR, MSRP $35,525. I go and build the same 2009 on Saturn.com and it shows MSRP as $37,930. Also, my 2008 MSRP included destination but I can not tell if the $37,930 does. So, the increase is $2400 if destination is included, or over $3000 if it is not. Checking my local dealer does not show any in stock to check.

Looking closer at saturn.com and edmunds.com the XR w/convenience package includes the rearview camera system which the 2008 did not. Saturn.com is showing $495 add on for 7 passenger seating.

I'm glad I bought mine in August and did not wait for the economic crash and price increase.
  • Increasing the price now allows GM the option of large incentives later. This way they get some extra cash from those willing to pay extra and in the new year when they need to increase sales they can give $2-3K rebates.
    While I understand the idea that raising the MSRP later could give the option for large incentive later, it has not been that long that folks were pointing to the large incentives given on some domestic brands as a lack of quality or marketability. Has that changed? I don't know.

Personal experience, 2004 bought an Envoy XL SLT with large rebate ($5000+) IIRC. Net purchase was around $31K on a vehicle with MSRP of almost $40K with Supplier Discount. Year after that or so, the MSRP had been lowered as well as discounts and incentives, so net was still about the same.

So, "Hey look at that discount, what a great deal!!" or

"Look at that POS, they have to really cut prices to give them away because no one will buy them for asking price!!"

I think I'm glad I bought my Outlook XR in August instead of waiting for the '09 price increase. I have not checked what bottom line is vs the '08.

Just went to GMSUPPLIERDISCOUNT.com but could not get GSM pricing on the Outlook... I did confirm that MSRP on the one I bought has increased from $35.5 to $37.9 and that did include destination. Only difference is the convenience package now includes the backup camera...mine only has the warning beep system.
  • I agree with you that the domestics were planning to reduce incentives and have more realistic MSRP pricing - don`t know what has happened.
    The '09 does have a more powerful and economic engine compared to the 08 so that is worth something also.
    "The '09 does have a more powerful and economic engine compared to the 08 so that is worth something also"

I thought I read that the Chevy Traverse was the only one of the 4 with the DI engine. I did go on Edmunds and Saturn.com and it looks as if the specs do show about 13 HP more for the '09 XR vs the '08. Still the MSRP jumped much more that I would have expected, even with a few added content items. Maybe not quite 10% but at least 7% if my estimated are correct.

Bill
  • In today's paper on So. Cal, they have a Chevy Traverse for 26k, and they have the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia for 27k. That is a deal for the car you are getting. My cousin has a Outlook, it is their second Saturn and they love it. They have had it for almost a year with no problems.
  • All Lambda's get the DI engine with the increase in mpg and HP.
  • Has anyone heard anything about new deals coming up in December? I am amazed that the American automakers don't seem to be dealing much, comsidering that some of them may end up in bankruptcy soon. I have been debating between a Chrysler T&C and a Saturn Outlook XR-- yes, two companies that are on the endangered list -- and keep hoping that one will break loose with a better deal. I prefer the Saturn but really need to get in a bit cheaper.
  • GM has it's red tag sale until 5 January. After that who knows what the deals will be but I don`t expect them to change the red tag sale terms since they have been in effect since early November and are a 2 month program. So if you can wait I would until January.

Chrysler will be bought by Renault/Nissan or fail since their product line is much weaker than GM or Ford and they have no real international presence (again unlike GM or Ford).
This discussion has been closed.