Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "The only thing it gives up to the CR-V IMO is the lack of an available navigation system."

And about 20% less MPG (23 highway vs. 27 highway). I had a 2003 CR-V, which would actually produce around 30 MPG at 65 MPH (pure highway), and that was with only a 4 speed and AWD. The current CR-V has a 5 speed and is available with FWD in the higher trim models. In town, one cannot really expect better than 22 MPG (with very careful driving).

The CR-V is not really a competitor of the Santa Fe; it is being compared simply because Honda did such a good job of packaging a lot of interior space into a small exterior. But the Santa Fe is designed to compete with the Honda Pilot (which, BTW, gets almost exactly the same MPG).

Honda and Hyundai have very different engineering standards; they have different expectations for the engines and the ride. It is a matter of preference which one is preferred.

Congrats on your purchase!
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Posts: 88
    RE: "The CR-V is not really a competitor of the Santa Fe; it is being compared simply because Honda did such a good job of packaging a lot of interior space into a small exterior."

I think what makes people compare the two is price. As many others did, we also started out looking at the CRV, but when we saw how much more you can get with the Santa Fe for less money, it was a no-brainer.
  • zebzeb Posts: 57
    I was considering a CRV also, but I went to some of the forum boards/user reviews and it seemed like it was nothing but bad experiences - anyone else see this?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    People tend to post more when there's a problem so take that into account. The consumer ratings at the top show that both the CR-V and Santa Fe are close in customer satisfaction (but you have to read those too - some people rate their car before they peel the Monroney sticker off the window).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2007 and have had zero problems. I get 25 MPG in real world driving(everyday mix with no air cond). I've got the 2wd model with leather. My tires track true and the engine has plenty of power. Everything works like it is supposed to. It is comfortable and roomy. Try out the rear seat. You can fit real adults comfortably(thigh support & leg room). This is only my second auto transmission in 38 years of driving, and it works great. I love the button for instant power and slowing. I'm sure there are thousands of others with the same opinion. People post problems on the forum. There is nothing wrong with that. All info(good or bad) is GOOD info, in my opinion.
  • My wife initially wanted the CR-V but after checking out the Santa Fe decided to go with the Hyundai. If the CR-V offered a power driver seat we probably would have gone with the Honda, but they're both great small sport utes and I think that they are definitely competing for many of the same customers. They were in our case at least.
  • If the CR-V offered a power driver seat we probably would have gone with the Honda

For 2008, they do, along with dual climate control, the uplevel stereo w/o having to get NAVI, and a rearview camera with the NAVI. These are a few of the changes made for 2008

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/842/releases/4135
  • The CRV is a really nice car with great mileage (for it's size) a nice ride and Honda durability baked in.

We just bought a Santa Fe Limited while they were clearing out the '08's. We feel we paid 2 to 3 (000) less than the Honda and received many interior upgrades. Most important for my wife (primary driver) were the power drivers seat (I don't get that one but she constantly pointed it out), higher driving position (liked that about the old minivan), Good handling and tight turning radius (hated those about the old minivan), and larger size without feeling it when driving.

If the CRV and Santa Fe were the same price, it'd be a toss up for us and depend on whether we wanted to go bigger or smaller on size. However, the money we saved will buy a lot gas over the next few years and we don't feel we skimped to save a few bucks, quite the contrary.
  • Have owned an '07 CR-V EXL for just over 2 years -- previously owned an '03 Accord EXL V-6 model. Love the CR-V except for the tires. My wife's vehicle was an '02 Toyo Highlander Ltd -- great vehicle. Looked at the '08 Highlander and '08 SF and, for $9000 less bought the Santa Fe Ltd AWD -- we love it!! More for the money in the SF -- no doubt. However, Honda doesn't have to buy it's customers and, at present, Hyundai is having to do that and is making great progress. Once our economy gets back to normal, there will be a price differential between the CR-V and the SF -- if you are in the market for a Santa Fe, better take advantage of the Hyundai pricing in the near future. The unknown -- will the Hyundai provide the proven trouble free ownership experience I have had with Hondas for the past 30 years?
  • we had an 07 CRV nav. The car of my dreams until last week when a drunk driver hit us. The interior cabin was intact. But when we saw the outside of the car, it's a wonder we are alive.

The next day we get a rental, it's a santa fe. LOL Similar enough to the crv but I find it goofy for lack of a better word. Some things are placed similar and others seem counterproductive when driving, having to look to see where they are. The ride is choppier. A good alternative I suppose if you need to save a few dollars, but nothing beats the real deal.

Right now waiting on insurance checks and running to buy a 2011 Crv. I have no doubt it protected us in that crash
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The next day we get a rental, it's a santa fe. LOL Similar enough to the crv but I find it goofy for lack of a better word. Some things are placed similar and others seem counterproductive when driving, having to look to see where they are. The ride is choppier.

I had the opposite impression; the Santa Fe rides better to me, but the CR-V handles better.
  • If you think the Santa Fe is "goofy", then don't buy one.

Thanks for playing.
  • jcihakjcihak Posts: 60
    If you don't like their comments, then don't read them.
    Anyone tire-kicking the CR-V and Santa Fe?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• :)

true that. Why have a forum open to opinions and then be mad when someone gives them.
  • well I've driven the rental a little bit more and become accustom to it. It's powerful, the first day giving my son whip lash with the breaking. :) But I've got it down now and it's fairly smooth. Acceleration seems a little labored but nothing that is a big deal.

It's still not laid out intuitively for me though. Some of the controls are large on the steering wheel and it's not easy for me to just click in the dark. I'm sure after a few days of trial and error, I'd mostly have that down. But I won't have many more days with it.

A decent car I think. Not sure about it's reliability. Havent checked on that because I am not buying it. Test drive them both, read reports and make a list of likes and don'ts. I think it'll come down to a few factors one way or another.
  • I too got a Santa Fe rental, a 2010. Drove it for 7 days. It is not as fun to drive in the twisties as my CR-V was, but much smoother and quieter on the road, and (for my 6'4" self) more comfortable. Great seats.

I'm in the market now, and GLS 4-cylinder Santa Fe is at the top of my list.
    Another incentive is that the Santa Fe is one of the cheapest cars to insure right now per InsWeb. (Yahoo)

It's #4; the CR-V comes in at #22.

• More good news for me. I suppose that the Santa Fe's stodginess makes it less appealing to thieves and their customers; and more appealing to older, safer drivers. Finally, after all these years, stodginess pays off!

Out here in California, Hondas are very much in the crosshairs to be stolen and parted out.

I'm going to the LA Auto Show this week, and will wait until later in the month to pull the trigger on the Santa Fe.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My fiance liked the Santa Fe much more than the CR-V. She felt the Santa-Fe looked like a mini-Lexus while the CR-V had an underbite she didn't like. Couple that with a not-so-powerful but oh-so-quiet 2.7L V6 compared to the 2.4L in the CR-V and it felt more luxurious to her, like the more expensive vehicle, and actually cost less than the Honda.