Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tucson18tucson18 Posts: 2
    Thanks cefus,

I spoke to a BMW mechanics and he told me that the rotors were intentionally thin to save weight on the car...hence the need to change the rotors with the pads at 50K miles. The break wear sensor replacement is a good idea for anything under 50K. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • mbbmw2002mbbmw2002 Posts: 7
    Hi everyone,

I am considering a 2005 X5 4.4i. I have read on this forom some of the problems such as brake lining, window regulator, battery, and interior detailing.

Is there anything else concerning the quality and reliability of the vehicle?

Thank you
  • cefuscefus Posts: 45
    You have to think about this , the X5 is now in it's fifth year of production, alot of improvements have been made over the years.

Yes they are still using the same battery company, that they have been in the past years (this is the last year for them), and that issue will soon be gone.

The brake and rotors are something you might want to ask about at your dealer, how long will they last? and how long should they last?..Bmw uses a brake pad that loves to make dust.

Im a little bias, sense I do work there, but if I had a choice of X5s to buy this would be the year to get one, o and mine would be the red motorsport one.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "but if I had a choice of X5s to buy this would be the year to get one"

Why? You figure the new X5 will have a litany of problems? Or you don't like the way it looks?
    I have seen and built the new X5 and to me(and this is my opinion) I don't like it. I think the way the current X5 looks is great as it is. I can't go into any details as how the next gen of X5s will look. But it will have some really neat and new options that the current X5 doesn't have.
    But I like the motorsport package.....but I also like the early 80s RX-7 so go with what you think
    Thanks for your comments. Understandably they wouldn't want you to say too much about the new X5.

Can I ask you a question about the BMW alarm? (Actually I should have thought to ask you first rather than posting all over Townhall). I actually have a Mini but I believe the alarm is basically a BMW unit. My question is, if you park on an incline, or where the car is slanted to one side (ie. on a low shoulder), do you need to disable the tilt sensor to prevent false alarms?

Thanks in advance.
  • x5x5x5x5x5x5 Posts: 9
    Hello Cefus,

Thank you so much for helping me with some problems.

I brought my X 5 to the dealership and they ran their diagnostic test. I did receive excellent service and was treated very well by everyone I met. They gave me a white Z4 over the weekend and I really had fun driving that car. The Z4 is the best looking sports convertible out there at this time.

They said the mass sensor is bad and making the service engine soon light go on. They said my O2 sensors were good. The OBD 2 test at Advance Auto said O2 sensor banks 1 and 2 were running lean.

They wanted $475 just for the mass sensor. Does it sound like it is the problem to you? He said if you replace the mass sensor you will have to drive the car about 100 miles before the SES light would turn off.

They said I need a new coolant reservoir and a new bracket which will fix the low coolant level code. Are you familiar with the new bracket? I read a service bulletin about the low coolant level code and it said the problem is that the sensor is touching the metal right below it causing the code to come on. They recommended a new reservoir and new bracket that will hold the sensor away from metal below it. I really wonder if that will fix the problem. Please let me know what you think.

I am still looking for a telescoping steering wheel motor. Please let me know where I can get a used one.

Do you have any advice on getting a 2001 X5 aligned? My front tires are starting to feather.

Thank you for your help.

Jim T.
    Yes a mass air sensor would cause your problem, I would have them try a new one on your car and if it works have them replace it or you go get another one and replace it yourself.
    As for your tires you have to look at the tread, how is it wearing? is it on the outsides, insides, random highs and low spots in it, or is it worn in the middle? That will tell you what you what alignment you will have to do from there. But a good tire rotation is a must, I do mine every oil change.
    As for the coolant sensor, I haven't seen the service bulletin, to give a response about it, but if there is one then its out there its for a reason. But if you don't want to spend the money right now you could just place a small jumper wire across the two pin holes in that connector and the light will stay off, insert the wire and cover it with electrical tape. as a temp fix
    Hi cefus:

Do you have any info on the BMW tilt sensor I asked earlier in Post #312?

Thanks.
  • comanchecomanche Posts: 1
    I thought the first year of the X-5 1999?
    Email me,I have good news on a tilt sensor, make sure you put X5 in the subject field, so I don't erase it
    Hey email me, I have info on your steering column motor , make sure you put X5 in the subject field.
  • jross2jross2 Posts: 1
    Hello Jedy2,

I was browsing through the forum to find any discussions related to the squeaky noise during acceleration. I found yours. I also noticed cameliax5's response but it seems there was no real solution. I have taken my x5 to the dealer once for a routine inspection and they said it was an air intake noise. I don't think they realized it was the breaks. Anyway, since then it has become worse and really annoying. Have you been able to resolve the problem?
  • bmwagbmwag Posts: 1
    Hi. There are a number of possibilities for a flat battery. I would be almost sure that the radio will work for only 20 minutes after switching the car of. Check rear door luggage, sometimes remains open, and only the rear int lights will remain on, hard to notice from outside the car.

If CD remains operative, may be a problem of sleep mode of the CU involved in CD Changer, anyway, best thing to do, take it to a dealer, they should be able to see histogram of sleep mode on the car.

Cheers
  • brennbrenn Posts: 1
    I purchased a standard BMW 6 CD changer about 10 months ago. I installed and it functioned fine until two weeks ago. Now, the display on the stereo constantly reads "NO CDs" and the changer doesn't seem to audit the cartridge the way it used to. I've power it down multiple times with no results. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BWM: I find it absurd that I am dealing with this issue on a $65K SAV twice in less than a year. :mad:

TIA.

Brenn
    The only way that I could tell you to try is swap it with another one,and see if that does the trick, or maybe take it to a dealer and have them check it. Thats about all you can really do on those things, its either gonna work or not. Sorry I cant help any more then that
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    Hi Everyone,
    does the 06 X5's have the aux input for IPod's or do you have to get it dealer installed?
    Thanks for the help
    djocks
  • simone2simone2 Posts: 1
    I just bought an X5 on a 51 plate (uk) done 51K, 3.0 diesel sport. it was fine for a couple of days, then all of a sudden it started producing huge amounts an black smoke out of both exhausts, i let it cool down, as i had just had a tracker fitted and they had to leave it running for a while, so i thought it might be a build up. Its still smoking, not black now, but more white/blue, and not as much. Apart from the smoke the car seems to run fine and the dashboard does not have any lights showing.

Before i go back to the seller screaming like a banshee, does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Many Thaks
  • lsufan6970lsufan6970 Posts: 10
    I currently have a 2002 530i. By the time we put a Britax car seat facing backwards behind the passenger seat, no one can sit in that seat. My wife and I are currently looking at a 2005 X5 4.4 in order to get a little more room. Has anyone installed a large carseat such as the Britax without having to put the passenger seat on the dashboard?
  • kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    Hey, Shaq, how tall are you and your spouse? We have a 2001 530i and the Britax Marathon. While we now can face the seat forward, we didn't seem to have too little room when we were mounting it backwards. I am 5'11" and my wife is 5'9". ;)