Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• trockietrockie Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2002 X5, 3.0 liter, 41,000 miles; $28,500. Questions:
    How reliable is it from a maintenance perspective? Does this seem like a fair price? Any other advice?
  • mdm1mdm1 Posts: 1
    I have a 05 x5 4.4 8k miles. when i first picked up the car it would get about 21mpg. I recently drove the car on a long trip about 300 miles and drove the car hard 80-90mph, now the caar gets about 16=17mpg at about 70=75mph. The dealer says there are no error code from the computer. Any ideas on decreased mpg I recently drove the car on the same trip still poor mpg.
  • cefuscefus Posts: 45
    If, like you said"you drove the car hard" then you will get poor gas mileage in any car. I would recommend staying out of the pedal, The X5 is a hungry animal when you push on the throttle. The car also learns the way you drive and makes all kinds of adjustment in suspension,performance and handling. Give it a steady drive time and let it relearn you as a new driver.
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    Anyone get the sport package on either the 3.0 or 4.4 and leave the "all seasons' on through the winter in the northeast and how did you do? Just seeing if I should pass on the sport package with my order living in CT. Thanks, djocks
  • any one ever put one in a 2001 x5??
  • zoom5zoom5 Posts: 2
    Hello All.

I am currently considering a 2006 4.8 X5. I love the car, but many experts (from various websites) are not much enthusiastic about it. :cry:

Any advice?
  • I was looking at the X5 4.4 myself and I live in Trumbull. Let me know how your research goes and if you have a positive experience with a particular dealer. I had some similar concerns considering the weather around here. The sports package is nicer on the eyes though. I may go for that and get some winter tires and wheels as well.

Best of luck in your search.

By the way.. I have an old buddy named Dave Jockel.. we called him DJocks! Not sure if it's you.. small world if it is!

Mike
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    MASTRO!!!!!!

How are ya buddy. It is a small world. Not sure which one I have here but I have done a lot of looking. I am up in Wallingford now with Amy and a 2-year old daughter.

It does sound like you have to change the tires on the 4.4i if you get the sport package. I have an '03 330i and I have put snows on it every season. It is not that big of a deal but the snows for an X5 will not be cheap.

I will say this though, for X5's now is the time... Especially for a lease. The money factors are awesome right now and if you can afford it go for it.

For example. the comparable lease for a loaded 325i and an X5 4.4i well equiped is about the same. There is a 20K difference in MSRP. There is no comparison to leasing from BMW. Alll service included, and first class all the way. When I bring in my 3, sometimes I ask for a loaner and they just hand me the keys to something in the parking lot and I go get some stuff done.

I have researched dealerships a lot also. I got mine at BMW of Watertown. If you call ask for Scott D. and drop my name. He is a good guy and can help you out. I have also heard good things about BMW of Ridgefield.

If you need more info email me at djocks123@yahoo.com

I am really leaning towards another 3, it is just a hard time right now because they are not giving much help yet.

Good luck, and I hope you still get a chance to hit them....

djocks
  • I am considering leasing a BMW X5 3.0i. I currently have a 2004 4Runner and am thinking of trading in mainly because I am quite unhappy about the myriad rattles and the H2S odour under hard acceleration and the loud engine when the Climate Control is on. I love the look of the BMW but do not want to get into the hassles of another car if the X5 has any issues with rattles and maintenance.

Can all the owners here please help me by letting me know if they have experienced some annoying rattles that are hard to fix, the dealer expertise in these matters and also the overall experience with their X5's? Also, I guess the X5 needs premium unleaded only, so have any owners run their X5's on regular?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • :( I have 2001 X5 with 75,000 miles and the shop that services the car, was amazed at my suspension light being on. They have never had this happen since the X5 was introduced,and mine was the second call with the same problem that day..The other X5 lost air and was really low in the back. My concern,is it safe to drive my car ? I live about 125 miles to the nearest service. I've pulled all the correct fuses and they good. Any Advice ? :(
  • Hello,

I'm shopping for insurance for my 2004 X5 3.0, and am wondering if it has Std Passive Immobilizer, Passive Alarm. From the manual, I can't find anywhere that mentioned it; however, the government web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2667.html) says it is X5's standard feature.

Anyone has any insight on this?
  • sinhartsinhart Posts: 9
    Hi Cefus:

I was looking at the Edmunds post and see where you have been very helpful to other users. I have a question for you.

I bought my X5 3 weeks ago and the 4 year warranty had just expired. My service engine light came on about 1 week after I picked the car up. I took it to the BMW dealer and they said they found fault with gas pedal and fuel trim bank 1 and 2. They replaced gas pedal $378 and cleared fault memory. Light came back on 2 days later and now they are saying they need to replace wiring harness/engine to the tune of $949. Call me crazy but this seems like a rip off to me. First of all, why don't they know for sure what the problem is? So if they replace the harness and the light comes back on then they're going to say it's something else?

Anyway I took it to my regular mechanic who serviced my 325I. He said fuel bank 1 and 2 running lean but didn't see anything about wiring harness. What do you think is causing this? Is this a common problem and is there any long term consequences to driving the vehicle with the light on? Any advice you can give is appreciated. Plus, several times I am on E before I get gas and a couple of times I forgot to turn off the car. Would this cause the SES light to come on? This is so frustrating? Would this be something that an extended warranty cover? Also, what is the deal with the O2 Sensors?

Also, can you recommend a good extended warranty company? I am looking at Warranty Direct and Auto Club? Are there any others who aren't scams?

Sorry for the long email. Thanks for your help?
  • Just got an '05 and have noted the idle is rough. Took it in for service and they said there is an issue with valve timing in very warm weather (I'm in Arizona). They said that the valve timing was adjusted via software and wanted me to let them know how it is. Unfortunately, the adjustment seems to have worsened the problem. The service advisor said that the engineers in Germany are aware of this problem and are developing new software that will be available shortly. I would assume that "software" really means a new set of values for tunable parameters, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone had this problem? How was it resolved?
  • I just experienced the same. my off-warranty '02 X5 3.0 had the rear passenger window creak, then drop into the door. Can I repair this myself? Advice?
  • Depends on whether you have the patience to take the window regulator out, and if BMW will sell you individual parts to replace the grommet or other .10 cent plastic part that probably failed in there. I don't know the make up of your particular regulator but most often a plastic grommet that rides in a slot, breaks off and the regulator arm can't hold up the window anymore. Sometimes the arm itself breaks so you need a whole new regulator.
    sorry its taken me so long to respond, i just got from Germany, company work related.
    Well lets try a few things about the SES light, first off don't ever leave the engine running while you fill up the tank, if you do, you will get and engine light and it will go away after a few days. Reason behind this is a system called DMTL Ask a service rep if you want the whole story behind the fuel delivery system.
    Lets see how that goes, don't let them change the harness on your car, they should be able to see the readings of bank 1 and 2 in the their DIS tester. and if the DME is reading all the right input and sending the right ones out to the throttle body.
    As for the gas pedal I would try to get a refund on that job, they should of been able to look in DIS and seen if it was bad.
    But for now don't run your car so low and dont leave the switch on while you are filling it,let me know if you have any more problems and we shale go from there
  • Hi Cephus:

Thanks for responding. No, I haven't had them change the wire harness, but the funny thing is I had my mechanic reset the code, it came back on after a couple of days. Then last week I was at my wits end because I needed to get the car to inspection so I could get my sticker, it was 1 week overdue inspection. Well, last thursday night, the light went off, just like that. It went off the week before but it came back on shortly afterwards. Well, this time it didn't. So I got up took the car to motor vehicle inspection and it passed with flying colors. Thank God. Sunday I called my mechanic to tell him the good news. I called him from the gas station so that if the light came on after I got gas then it may be gas related. Well, 15 minutes after I get gas, the light came back on, and it's still on.

I am at my wits end, I don't know what to do. I think I am going to get a refund from BMW. The problem seems to occur when I go to the pump, do you think it could be a problem with the gas cap?

Also, can you recommend a good extended warranty company? Thanks.
    Have someone do a DMTL leak test on your fuel system or a smoke tester will do, this will check for any leaks or a bad gas cap. A couple of places to look at is the gas cap(make sure the ignition switch is not on when you are refueling) or it could be a bad/worn cap, or one of the 3 hoses going to the carbon canister on the underside of the car. You will not be able to see this and will have to have the guard dropped on one side(outward side) to check this. Its possible that the middle line to the carbon canister is not seated fully or the o-ring in it is slightly pinched. but have someone run the DMTL test and go from there.
    As for a warranty, I cant really help you on finding that, sorry. Let me know how things turn out
  • burrsrburrsr Posts: 255
    We just purchased a CPO 2003 X5 4.4i, 18,000 miles. Love the car, but noticed that after a car wash or driving in rain, the rear passenger-side carpet is soaked. There are no leaks around the door, so it seems to me that water is coming in from below. Any others experience this? Any solutions? I plan to call the local dealer tomorrow. Thanks.
    Does it have a sunroof? If it does then thats your problem, the seal around the glass or the glass it self may need to be adjusted.
    If you don't have a sunroof, check the rear left and right air vents located under the rear panels between the tires and the bumper, possible that the vents may be upside down. the luvers should be black in color and about 5 inches square and the luvers should be staked like the tiles on a roof..
    If you still cant find it get a garden hose out and water it down while you are inside looking for it ,best of luck, let me know what you find