Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lion2000lion2000 Posts: 22
    My garage was hot for a few days. Today it was cool so the work continued.....

I pulled out fuse #27 that shuts the interior lights off. I placed a meter between battery cable and the body chassis. After starting the car and let the battery to be charged for 10 minutes, I shut the engine off. I disconnected the battery connection to the body with the Amp meter intact. I then shut all doors. The current went down to 1.05A. After a minute, it went down to 0.52A. After 15 minutes, it went down to between 0.05-0.07A (flutuates) in sleep mode.

I then retored fuse #27, turn ignition key to 1, 2. then off. Shut all doors. The current behaves the same way.

Mysteriously, I do not see 1A sleep current anymore. All I did was (accidentally) disconnect and reconnect battery multiple times. All I can conclude is that something is not reliable, this problem may appear again someday.

//leo
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    This is just a thought, but I suspect there is some kind of circuitry (electronic control module/light control module) that is failing to put the circuitry into sleep mode. The fix might be as "simple" as upgrading software or replacing the unit in question. Disconnecting the battery may have jolted the the control unit back into proper operation but if it happened once it can happen again.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • brohunbrohun Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 X5 3.0. My check engine light came on at near 50k miles. The dealer 1st said it was a loose gas cap! the truck has been at the dealer 8 times with no fix yet. They replaced the gas cap, reprogramed the computer a couple of times and now BMW wants to test the gas tank and possible replace! I'm told that there are several other vehicles at my dealer with the same problem! Has anyone else had this problem?? Is there a fix?? :sick:
    My 2001 X5 4.4 light would come on momentarily for no reason. Dealer said while filling the gas, I should have radio turned off. It does not sound intuitive! Dealer also changed the gas cap, the light still turns on momentarily.

While gas price was high a year ago, I started to use regular unleaded 87 gas. The light stays on, until I changed to premium gas 91. I wonder if the light turns on because the octane level was low in the gas?
    Since two years ago, my 2001 X5 started to loose columns in the dot matrix display. This includes display in the instrumentation panel, and the radio. A few columns are permanently gone and, a few columns would go on and off. Anyone knows how to resolve the problem?
  • hbustoshbustos Posts: 3
    I have the same exact issue, were you able to resolve the problem? Love to know what it was
    Regards
    H
    Here is a reply I got from another website for your reference. I also did some online search, there seemed to be no easy fix.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/61652-dash-board-text-displa- y-has-missing-columns.html#post618511
    Thank you. Did you jump start your car before this happened?
    Good point. Yes, this happened after I jump start the car. BMW manual had the instructions to prevent high voltage surge during jump by turning on lights and fan. This could be one of the consequences.

One jump also caused my added CD player to fail, another caused my added subwoofer amp to fail. Note that my previous post on the sleep mode 1.2A leakage that started the whole event!

My other thought is that the battery jump position is in the engine compartment, while the battery is in the rear trunk. The large surge current with the inductance of the wiring can cause the high voltage surge. I think the jump hook up should be to the battery in the rear trunk. A design issue!
    That's it, but with all the engeneering that BMW has shouldn't the have thought about this potential issue? I heard that there may be a recall for this issue? Does anyone know? .

Regarding the inductance of the long wire to the back is not it, I thought about that and I did the jump right at the battery.

Anyway, if someone had the solution please le us know
    Thanks
  • I have lost all power to the front passenger side door. No power to the door lock, window or outside mirror. The fuses are fine. The dealership took a quick look at it, but didn't find anything obvious. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it back to the dealer for a more thorough and expensive look? Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I would suggest either bad electrical connections or a defective switch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • miltimilti Posts: 14
    Dear Hosts,

Some assisstance please.

I have a 2006 X5 4.4 with 52,000 miles. Currently, my sunroof is stuck open in the vented position and the sliding cover is partially open by 3 to 4 inches. When I press the switch in any direction (to the front, to the back or up) nothing happens. I tried pressing up for 30 seconds and still no response.

I'm unclear how and when this happened. I only remember I used the buttons on my key to unlock the doors and let the windows go down. When I got in the vehicle I noticed the problem.

The owners manual says the unresponsiveness could of happened after the battery was diconnected--it was not. And that the system may have to be initialized.

Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased the vehicle at lease-end but have an additional 3 year 36,000 mile warranty--would this problem be covered?

thanks
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    The basic warranty is 4 years / 50,000 miles and it sounds like that would cover the sunroof (as opposed to it being a powertrain warranty).

So I guess the question is whether the additional 3/36 warranty you got when you purchased your X5 is a continuation of the "basic" one or does it just cover the powertrain. Probably going to have to read the fine print and ask the dealer.

There were some TSBs for water leaks in the front passenger side cabin, but that doesn't look related to the sunroof.

In the meantime, if you can find the right fuse, you could pull it and see if that resets the sunroof switch switch at all. That trick sometimes works with balky CD players.

Any owners here have sunroof problems?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• miltimilti Posts: 14
    Thanks Steve!

The problem was fixed by changing the fuse in the glove box.

thanks again
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Sweet. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I have a 2001 X5 4.4i. 130 miles after the two front axle assembly replacement, ABS and Break light comes on, Speedometer stopped, Techometer momentarily working, temp needle goes to max. After some web search, I decide to test the ABS Speed sensors myself.

After disconnecting the sensor connector in the wheel well, I measured the voltage coming out of the ABS module:
    0V - ignition off; 2.8V - ignition key pos 1; 2.5V - ignition pos 2.

Measured the resistance across the sensor terminals:
    Left front - 8.5MOhm; Right front - 8.2MOhm.

Attached a scope to the sensor output, spinning the front axle, I do not see any pulse coming out of the sensor.

Removing the sensor from the hub assembly, found iron powder on the sensor tip. cleaned sensor tip. Placing a magnet at the tip of the sensor and moving magnet, barely see any voltage change.

Looking into the sensor hole, spinning wheel, I do not see anything different after 360 deg rotation. It was just a metal drum. So what causes the sensor to pickup signal?

Now I am wondering if the sensor is bad, or installation of the axle causes the hub assembly to fail? :confuse:

Thanks in advance for your help!

//Leo
  • boykieboykie Posts: 6
    Is purchasing the 2 year/50K mi extended maintenance and warranty covering 6 years/100K mi worth it?
    Should you purchase both or just one?

BMW has a lot of electronics and I'm worried about the repair costs.
    I was offered with the extended warranties but I did not take them. Right now, on average, it cost me about $1500 each year including the maintenance. The extended warranty does not have the same coverage as the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover maintenance if I remember correctly. Warranty cost >$1500 each year. But it does bring you peace of mind just in case.

My X5 this year is in its 9th year, 109K miles and the cost of repair may go over $1500 depending the findings of this incident. It's time to consider a new car and I need to research to see if BMW X5 has improved its reliability in the new models.
  • I made the mistake of buying a used 2003 BMW X5 from Carmax in Feb. 2007, with the extended warranty for $1,800. Since having the car, it has stalled in traffic about 13 times, massively shakes when the brakes are applied, and the transmission is slipping. Carmax said they fixed the rotors only to have the car shake again after 5 months. About two weeks ago, with my two year old in the car, it stalled in traffic and we were almost run over by a dump truck. Needless to say, my family has not been in the car since. I took the car to Carmax three times, and they never duplicated the stall, so, nothing was fixed. I took it to a BMW mechanic who said that this was a common problem and he wanted to do a software update. The Carmax warranty refused to cover the update and insuated that my mechanic should have lied and told him that he got it stall. Carmax then told me that they would send the car to a BMW dealership and have them look at the car. To make a long story short, no one could make the car stall, so, they would not do any work on the car and told me it was my problem, even though they knew it was an idling problem. I am now stuck with a car that I cannot have my family in and will most likely be out of a few thousand dollars to sell. I would recommend that you never buy a car from Carmax, and if you do, don't waste your money on the fraudulent warranty. I also recommend never buying a BMW, constant problems.
  • x5fixerx5fixer Posts: 2
    This is a common problem on 2001 and 2002 X5s These were defective from the factory and failure not related to usage. The good news is the glass does not break.
    your car can't be secured until repairs are made.
  • kris2kris2 Posts: 22
    I have a 2005 X5 3.0 with around 45k miles and I have a leak from the bottom of the washer fluid tank. The leak is not from the tank itself but I can see the fluid dripping from the joint between the tank and the outlet. I called the dealer and they said basically they have to replace the entire washer fluid tank assembly (not the motor) and it will cost around $200-$250. This is after I told them where the leak was, else they wanted a $250 diagnostic to look at it because they think they have to rip out everything to identify where the leak is. I have an easycare extended warranty but pipes, tubes and leaks to plastics are not covered itseems. Wanted to check if anyone else heard of this kind of a an issue and if there is a quick fix other than replacing the entire thing. Thanks in advance.
    I would take fluid leak to a service station for such minor repair.

By the way, I had a leak on the coolant reservior cap. The worst part is the broken plastic and the rubber ring dropped into the reservior. (I hate BMW plastic parts!! Maybe that is why it is sports "activity", not utility vehiecle.) Does anyone know if this is going to break the water pump or create problem for thermostat? Thanks for the reply.
    Thanks lion2000. I got the leak fixed this morning under extended warranty that I have (EasyCare). Something near the rear pump got cracked and was leaking the washer fluid from close to the tank. They replaced the rear pump and the dealership charged 118 to the extended warranty firm. Probably it was much cheaper than replacing the tank but on a different note I wonder if extended warranty companies (like insurance companies and doctors) have a discounted rate for repairs.
  • Hi everyone,
    Yesterday my 2005 X5 independent ventilation started on its own( when the suv is parked, keys out ignition) and now I can't get it to stop. I have followed the manual's instruction on putting key to position 1 and then pressing the left side of the BC button and I see that "Vent On" is showing. When I press it to "Vent Off" the BC light lights up momentarily and it reverts back to "vent on" and I can't keep it in the "vent off" setting. Any ideas? should I reset the OBC and if so, how? I have pulled the fuse to the blower in the meantime to stop my battery from going dead.
  • Does anyone know how to adjust the angle of the headlamps on a BMW x5?
  • We have a 2003 BMW X5 which has been somewhat of a great car, but is no longer under warranty. I am hearing horror stories about the cost of replacing the car's battery. Can anyone shed some light on the cost of battery replacement and the location/access available to the battery?
  • A compatible battery from Auto Zone is $95 and the battery is under the spare tire.
  • I have a 2006 X5. Yesterday, the Self-Leveling Suspension Inactive warning, like this:

SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT

showed up in the Check Control. After I stopped the engine and restarted it, the message was not on any more. I have not seen it since then.

On the manual (page 95), ask driver to check to see if the rear of the vehicle is visibly lower than the front. For my case, I did not see nor experience anything strange in term of the vehicle level and the driving of the vehicle.

Anybody had such experience with your X5 before? Does this indicate any serious problems to come? Any advice?

I googled the similar cases. I saw many people complained such message,but few really had problem. One guy suggested, check the 30A fuse for the Air Suspension, and just pull it and reinsert it.

I will call BMW service center to ask how to handle later.

Thanks.
    There a black screw when you open the hood and that will adjust the height of the lamp focus. The screw driver kind of thing that comes with the tools will only fit into that screw.