Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2001 x5 thats having a similar problem. At first I thought it was the tranny so I took it to a bmw dealer and it revealed no dianostic problems they told me it was an internal problem with the tranny so I had the tranny rebuilt but that didn't solve the problem then they told me that it was my throttle body sensor so I had that replace too ..still the problem persist, a heavy shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. Now they are telling me that it may be the cooling sensor circuit.
    Did they solved your problem? And if so what was the solution?
    I'm getting @#% tired of all this crap from bmw...I should have bought a lexus instead ...they are 10 times more durable than bmw and the resale value and warranty is much better than bmw.
  • bmwnabmwna Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your BMW X5. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200532000952 so that we can help you more efficiently.
  • yagit1yagit1 Posts: 11
    I had the same problem with my 2002 3.0 X-5 two weeks ago, I was on vacation for three weeks and when I came back the car was dead. It has to be towed to a nearby BMW service place, service guy said it has something to do with the light of the blower that was on the whole night which drained the battery. This was a new battery that was installed in Dec 2004. My car is 3 years old but already it has been towed twice and jumpstarted for at least two times. I have yet to speak with the dealer about these problems since my warranty is running out next year. I love my X-5 but everytime I go on vacation the car is dead when I come back. Any input on this? Thanks a lot! :confuse: :mad:
  • we own a 2000 X5 4.4i. during the last 2 years the windschield-whiper quit working
    randomly on 4 separate occasions! 3 times on the freeway in heavy rain. it scared the
    heck out of us. twice my wife escaped a crash by a hair. she is now to afraid to drive
    our "luxus safety vehicle" in the rain. only after the engine is turned off and back on it works again! we live in the pac. north-west!!
    are there other X5 owners with the same problem out there?
  • cefuscefus Posts: 45
    SOunds like it could be a wiper relay going bad(located in the e-box,in the engine area) or a module we call the ZKE might be going on the blink.
    The wiper system works like this; you turn on the stalk it sends info to the "ZKE" and it controls the relay, in turns controls the wipers speed. Hope this help
  • I have had a major problem with my X5 stalling when I leave a stop sign. The car goes into a safe mode and will only move at about 2 miles per hour. All the ABS and warning signs go off until I restart the car.

What is the fix. I have been to 4 dealers and each time it cost about $1,000. with no fix.
    The next time it stalls take it to someone that will run a dianognics test on it, and go from there.or maybe post the results on here and i can tell you something about it. But if you feel comfortable with the next part, you can look inside the ebox located in the engine for any loose connections(put don't disconnect any) the ebox is located on the right side under the wiper cowling, and is held down by four 4mm allen heads, and snapped in the back. pull the top off and look around in there. there should be two silver modules(1 transmission(blue) and 1 engine(black)connetors a few relays :brown(wiper),blue(headlight washer)red and maybe one other blue. depending on options. and several connections, all you need to do is look around tug on the wires and see if any pop loose, if one does snap it into place and then have the car codes cleared. let me know what you find out
  • 2irie2irie Posts: 1
    You wouldn't believe this. I experience the same problem and I should have known better. But it relates to the car not getting enough juice from the battery/alternator. My problem was the alternator. The light was on when I was heading to the mall w/family. When this started I immediately drop them off @ cheesecake factory and proceeded to the dealer. Never made it. The battery died. After changing the battery, I limped home and replace the alternator myself. very easy job, not sure why the dealer wants $1000 to do the same. Problem fixed.
  • I had a great experience w/ a 3 series a few years ago and was surprised to see the X5 was so poorly rated for reliability by CR. I would appreciate some insight from owners.

Thanks.
  • Poorly rated for reliability in an understatement....get an X5 and you have to get medication for major migraines!! My sister and I both got one each..i have a 3.0 and she's got a 4.4i ....every 3 months or so one of our's is the mechanic's shop...they have major sensors issues among control arms, stalling, dead batteries, ignition coils, etc....we must have spent nearly $15,000 altogether ....go figure!!
  • bmwnabmwna Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about this issue with your X5 stalling. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200533300361 so that we can help you more efficiently.
  • the problem might be your ignition coils...one or more may be leaking or malfunctioning ...its a sick with all the X5s...have your mechanic check it out!
  • I have a 2001 X5 and have had numerous problems with it and am ready to give the car back. It is still under warranty (100,000). My car had the same issue and the fan drained the battery. They replaced the fan motor and all works. Since then the raditor exploded, the oil gasket now has ruptured and a new thermostat had to be put it. I am caught on the highway and have to be towed (4 times) I have had the car a little over a year. This is getting very annoying. Does anyone have experience with a dealership making good and replacing the car???? Or any help with talking to the dealers about chronic car problems???? :cry:
  • I have been considering buying a slightly pre-owned X5 and giving my wifes 05 Tucson to our daughter for college. After reading about so many problems with a $50k Bimmer, and having owned a Honda Pilot and Hyundai Tucson for last two years with not one problem, I think I'll buy another Japanese or Korean vehicle since they are convincingly trouble-free and durable.
  • Does anyone know of a hard cover for the cargo area? The standard roll up's really flimsy for a quality car like this.
    Thanks!
  • I bought a new X5 2001 model in Feb. I bought it from the dealer and picked it up at BMW Spartanburg, SC where I participated in the driving school. Unfortunately, I had to wait an additional two weeks to pick up my vehicle because the salesperson ordered the wrong interior. I really enjoyed the X5 for a few years. At 50K miles my vehicle stopped producing heat. I took it to the dealer who informed me I had a cracked head. I was able to negotiate the price for the repairs down from $6k in March 2005. There was no indication on performance, gas mileage nor the temperature gauge that the vehicle was ever running hot. The negotiating took place because the service dept. determined there were no faults and agreed the temperature gauge should have gone to the red.
    The dealer has given me back the car several different times over the past nine months only to have the temp gauge go the red and the service engine light comes on. I explained to the dealer this inconvenience was unacceptable. My friends joke around that I have a permanent BMW loaner. I did not want the vehicle back until they proved the X5 was repaired. The dealer called to tell me after exhausting all efforts for the past nine months they want to return my unfixed car to me and get their loaner back. I was told only seven X5's in the country have this problem. BMW determined the problem was in the Software DME component. BMW would work out a repair sometime in the future. I obviously do not want a car back that is not repaired. I have not been able to get BMW nor the dealer to work out a fair resolution to the problem. I have a little reservation going with a new X5 however I don't believe BMW has made me feel good about this SAV. The dealer told me they would consider a trade-in however my vehicle has lost value since it is unlikely they will resell the X5 but rather wholesale it out. Why is that my fault? Can anyone out there tell me if you have had a similiar experience and what the resolution was? Does BMW care about keeping me in the BMW family or not?
  • my 2006 x5 did the same thing the first time it rained what is the fix?
  • I know my 2001 X5 was not an attempted breakin as the car cuff was on, had number of items in vehicle which were not taken , parked in my back yard. Has anyone had this problem as well? Had been having problem with with door not opening properly. Bummer. Warranty expired 10/28. After finding this forum a week ago I found, I too, had many of the same problems. Requested that my door handles be replaced, which they will do, but the install charge is $ 588.00,
    Still waiting, after a month, for the sun roof replacement. Water continued to leak causing my passenger side floor to become exremely wet causing mold.
    Love driving my X5, but now that I have to wait 2-3 days to get the window replaced, I'll be looking for another SUV as I can see more problems a coming.
    goto post 371 and call that number
  • Thank you. I called the number spoke with a BMW rep. and unfortunately I believe at this time I will have get some leagl advice. I was ready to buy another X5 and move forward. I am pretty disappointed with the way BMW has handled this problem. I am now wondering why I should reward BMW again and potentially have more problems with a new car. Thank you again.