Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• phew! lucky you! Yeah, it kinda sounded like catastrophic water pump failure.
  • re1985re1985 Posts: 3
    I'll say... Thanks again for your help.
    Two more questions...
    1)What are your thoughts on using "mid-grade" gasoline versus the recommended "premium"? 2) The dealership charges $100 (maybe $110) for an "Oil Service" appointment. They record the service appointment on BMW's computer network so that the car service history is shown as consistent. I know that I can get an synthetic oil change for $55 at a national chain (non-BMW) maintainance shop. Is is worth trying to save $50 at the national chain, or do the BMW dealerships add that much more value (expertise/knowledge of the vehicle) for their higher price? PS: If I'm only paying the $55 at the national chain, I will probably be more likely to have the oil changed every 8,000-10,000 miles instead of the 15,000 mile BMW recommendation.
  • suv2006suv2006 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2nd 2001 X5, i don't know if its normal for the air con fan to operate on its own ? when we turn on the engine the fan will sometimes blow strongly and then turn itself down and then suddenly its blowing strongly again. This will continue for a few minutes and it will stop, is this a function of temperture control ?
    Also when we turn off the engine, the air con fan will run on its own on and off for an hour ! can anyone help me out ? i am very confused.....
    thanks!
  • You can try mid-grade fuel and see how the car responds. The engine management system will adjust for any change in octane anyway...at worst you might notice a slight drop in performance and or fuel mileage, but maybe not. It really depends on how critically the BMW engineers have designed the engine for premium fuel. But no harm in trying and you might get away with no ill effects whatsoever.

As for oil changes...while you are in warranty, I would definitely go to the dealer. If the chain store screws something up, the BMW dealer has a loop hole for denying your warranty claims...$50 bucks on a $10,000 engine seems not worth the risk to me. There are better ways to save $$ by avoiding the dealer, like buying tires or batteries, etc.
  • I wonder what the pads and rotors are made out of. I recently read that the Lexus GS-430 with the performance package has ceramic brakes that require the same rotor and brake pad change at around 20k miles (depending on how hard the driver is on brakes).
  • I too experienced the same problem with my X5. When I took the vehicle into the dealer they knew right away what it was and said it is a pretty common occurance. There is a resistor in the fan circuit that gets weak, which causes the fan to act eratic. It was a $120 dollar repair.
  • My service light came on so I made the dreaded trip to the repair shop to find out what it was. They (not a BMW dealer but competent foreign shop)said the test pulled three things; thermostat - weak apparently not opening at the right temperature, a crank shaft monitor & an emmissions monitor all need to be replaced. Does this sound right? What should I expect for cost of this repair?
  • hmmmm...maybe not quite right...the "codes" just indicate the circuit or system wherein the problem lies, not the actual defective component. Three codes don't mean three bad things.
  • Take it to the dealer. This philosophy might cost you in the short term but will save you grief and money in the long term. Dealers seem to be the only ones that can take consistent care of these vehicles.
  • reeffreeff Posts: 5
    I'd like to get some feedback as to what to do on my X5 3.0 as the warranty will be ending in april of 2007.

I have two options:

- Purchase extended warranty : Who would you recommend I go through and what would it cost?

- Trade in/sell vehicle and obtain a lease on a X5.

It is my wife's vehicle and she would like a new X5 however I'm not sure what it would cost me. I reside in Naperville, Illinois.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
  • I am also very interested in this question.

I have a 2003 X5 3.0 with only about 29K miles on it. Warranty expires in December of 2006.

1) What extended warranty options are there
    2) Are they negotiable - What's a good price
    3) Do they really cover everything that the factory warranty covers, or am I gonna start getting raked over the dealer coals

Thanks!
  • Recently (9 months ago) I brought a 2001 CPO X5 and after 9 months I'm starting to have issues regarding paint facking off.

After some research I found out that the vehicle's previous owner had gotten some bad body work done. After reporting it to the dealership they invetigated my problem and also had me take my vehicle to there body shop for an estimate. And now they have determind that since they did not see any problems when they CPO the car and they also contacted there BMW rep. and he also agreeded without the Service Manager and the BMW Rep. looking at the car.

So can anyone give me some advise on how to resolve my issue?

Btw
    I did contact the Customer Relations and they where no help what so ever.

Thanks. :sick:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Those questions should be asked in the general BMW X5 discussion or, even better, the Extended Warranties topic.

tidester, host
  • Thanks,

I'll repost it there.
  • Maybe you can help me out, here is my problem:

Recently (9 months ago) I brought a 2001 CPO X5 and after 9 months I'm starting to have issues regarding paint facking off.

After some research I found out that the vehicle's previous owner had gotten some bad body work done. After reporting it to the dealership they invetigated my problem and also had me take my vehicle to there body shop for an estimate. And now they have determind that since they did not see any problems when they CPO the car and they also contacted there BMW rep. and he also agreeded without the Service Manager and the BMW Rep. looking at the car.

So can anyone give me some advise on how to resolve my issue?

Btw
    I did contact the Customer Relations and got no where.

But for the most part I need some ideals on how and who else
    can I contact to help me resolve my problem
  • CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH CONSTANT WATER COMING IN BACK FLOOR FROM SOMEWHERE, DEALER SAID IT WAS MEMBRANE NEEDED CHANGING SO DID THAT AND STILL IN CAME THE WATER, DONT KNOW WHAT DELIGHTS THEY WILL COME UP WITH NEXT WEEK WHEN ITS IN AGAIN FOR SAME REASON, THIS HAS ONLY HAPPENED TO ME SINCE nOV WHEN THE DEALER FITTED SIDE SILLS BUT SWEARS ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM? REALLY PUZZLED AS TO WHERE ITS COMING FROM NOT LONG BEFORE THE AUDIOS ARE AFFECTED! CHEERS ANYONE... lOUISE
  • Do you have a sunroof? Rear sunroof drain being clogged could be a culprit. This is easily tested. If you open the sunroof you should see the drain in the back of the groove where the sunroof moves. You can pour a small amount of water in that drain and you should see it come out under the car in front of the rear wheel. You can also check at that time for water intrusion in the back...I assume you mean the footwells of the rear seats?

Door membranes was a good guess but I guess not :cry:
  • Hi there,
    I was scrolling thru Edmonds and I found your post. It is very old but I was hoping you could help me with what seems to be the same prob I am having with my 2006 5x. I have had it to the dealer 4 times for a rattle/banging from the tailgate area. They have replaced the motor, lubed and oiled everything, tightened and untightended things and after a day I hear the noise. It is so aggravating after spending so much for the car!...My last car a Jeep Liberty was awesome!..no noise not service checks it was a great little SUV for half the price. I was wondering if your issue was ever remedied and info you could pass along would be great!
    Thanks
    Christine<, NJ
  • Hi all,
    I have a 2006 x5 that has a constant rattle/squeak in the rear tailgate. I have had it in the shop 4 times. They have replaced the latch motor, lubed and oiled everything, tightened all bolts and whatever else they could. I am at wits end with this car. Anyone have this issue that could pass along how they fixed it or any tips on what I can do!.....HELP
    C
  • Could anyone with an 07 X5 tell me what type of city/highway mileage you are getting? The 6th gear is supposed to be increasing gas efficiency. Especially interested in V6's, as we do little mountain climbing or off roading.

Also very interested in whether you have any opinions on your 3rd row seat - is it roomy enough for your needs? Is there any cargo space left if 3rd seat is upright?

Also, does anyone know when the auto liftgate will be available? Thanks so much!! :shades: