Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cefuscefus Posts: 45
    take your dvd with you, when you go to the dealer and see if they can get it to play.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    You didn't mention the year of your vehicle.

Visiting Host
  • kris2kris2 Posts: 22
    Hi Group,

I am new to BMW and this group with the purchase of a 2005 3.0 X5. The dealer has not yet given me all the manuals as we closed the deal late saturday night. I am wondering if someone can let me know if there is a lock on the steering wheel adjustment. I try the lever that is supposed to work but it does not tilt or telescope, maybe it is not working or maybe it has been locked with the seat adjustment, I am not sure and wanted to check. I tried looking at the manual online but did not figure it out. I will be seeing the dealer tomorrow but any help meanwhile is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • Please help me!!! Convinced it could go offroad, i took my x5 up and down some steep dirt hills in my area to test out the hill descent, and at the bottom were some HUGE potholes that were impossible to get around. when i went through them, i could feel the bottom hit the ground and a huge THUD. now, whenever i accelerate moderatley (pedal atleast half in) there is definate reverberation felt through the gas pedal and a noise in the in the engine or exhaust or somewhere when i accelerate (i have a 4.4i by the way, 2004) that definatley wasnt there before, it used to run much more smoothly. Please help!! Have i just completeley ruined my car, or has something just come loose?!?!?! I looked at the undercarriage and couldnt see any damage, so now im freaking out because i JUST bought the car. Please, if anyone has any idea what might have happened to my car please help!
    Thanks so much!!
  • mrb5mrb5 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 X5 due for the 100k service. Dealer is talking about $900.00 to get it done, that seems high. Does that sound correct?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what BMW says should be done and what it should cost in your zip code.

The dealer probably is suggesting that more services be done, and you may decide some of them are worth it - just keep in mind that upselling on scheduled maintenance is a big profit center for the dealer.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    You might have bent a wheel or an axle shaft. Needs to go on a lift to see what's what.

If there are optional skid plates for your car, I'd get 'em if you plan more offroad adventures.

Visiting Host
  • sherigsherig Posts: 1
    Has anyone any knowledge of fires in a 2004 X5? (or other years/models) I had the LCM Module replaced twice within weeks to correct lights not working after strong burning smell. Service report says "Internal short circuit in lamp control module". About 2 weeks after the second replacement - the car caught fire with the engine off and key out as well as lights off. The alarm went off 3 times before the fire started. BMW is sending an investigator to determine cause yet keep inferring the fire may not be related to part. Can you give me any information?
  • Hi All -
    The engine oil level on my 2008 X5 4.8 is low and I've read that BMW prefers Castrol. A search in the BMW manual and online showed SAE grade 5W-30 is preferred and/or approved. But when I got to the auto shop the attendants said that 5W-30 may not be thin enough for 08 X5 and suggested 0W-40.

Which do I go with? There's 7928 miles on the car and I'll be adding another 800 miles or so with a trip to Northern California and I haven't yet taken the car in for service. The BMW sales guy told me the car would indicate when it needed service, but I'm skeptical about this too.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    Why not stop by your dealer and they will top off per manufacturer recommendation? You have already paid for free maint. on this car so why not let them worry about it?
  • cgartmancgartman Posts: 2
    We just started to hear a low level thumping when we are making left turns. It is coming from the left front and only when making left turns. Thinking it might have to do with the CV joint. Any ideas where I should start looking?
  • Huh. Who'd've thunk going back to the dealer?! Dur! :P Thanks!

But just to satisfy my curiosity still, which one: 5W-30 or 0W-40?
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    I am sure your owners manual has this info. Look it up there and let us know as well. :) I am betting it is 0 weight.
  • According to the BMW manual:
    "Your BMW Sports Activity Vehicle Center will be happy to answer detailed questions on BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil or approved synthetic oils.

You can also call BMW of North America at 1-800-831-1117 or visit their website at www.bmwusa.com to obtain this information."

AND

"Viscosity grades
    Viscosity is a measure of an oil's flow rating and is specified in SAE grades. The choice of right SAE grade is based on the climatic conditions in the region in which you normally drive your BMW.

Approved oils belong to the SAE grades 5W-40 and 5W-30.

These oils can be used for driving at all outside temperatures."

What a bit of reading turns up! No mention on 0 grade though.
  • Hi There,
    I have a 2005 X5 w/ 27900 miles that will be going out of warranty due to age in Dec. 2008, All service records are present and have been done on schedule. Does anyone know what pricing is for the extended warranty for an extra 2 years and xxxxx miles??

Your advice is much appreciated,

Wayne
  • lion2000lion2000 Posts: 22
    My 2001 X5 was out of warranty in 2005. Back then, if I remember correctly, the warranty was $2,200/yr, and the coverage was not good. So, I did not buy.
  • Hi i have an x5 4.4i, 2004.
    I noticed a couple of days ago that the gas comsumption has significantly gotten worse, as i was using up almost a quarter of a tank in a day (around 30-40 miles of driving) and usually i can get like 400-450 from a tank. (and it wasnt like i was flooring it the whole time either) Then, when i went to fill it up yesterday, i was expecting to see a range of about 480 for the car, as i had EMPTIED the tank, including the reserve that doesnt show up on the gas meter. Instead, it said 365. I usually put in plus, and think its dumb to put regular in a bmw (always telling my parents not to) but the price difference was almost 30 cents so i went for the regular. As soon as i began to drive, under acceleration the car would shudder and studder, and the engine was running very roughly, and maybe 10 seconds later the service engine soon light came on and was flashing. I pulled over for maybe 5 minutes, and then kept going and after that nothing has happened so far. I'm really worried about something being wrong because im pretty sure the regular gas didnt have anything to do with it, a mercedes dealer in our area puts regular in their cars and they run fine, just dont perform as well. Does anyone have any idea why that would have happened, and why the gas milage has dropped so badly? Do you think there could be a leak in the gas tank or in a gas line or something?
    Thanks so muchh
  • dromdrom Posts: 1
    My wife's 2004 X5 caught fire last week for what I believe to be the exact same reason. The front right turn-signal was stuck on and my wife said that she noticed a burning smell. She parked the car, and went into her office. Within 30 minutes, the underside of the dash was on fire. Fortunately, the fire dept. got to it before the fire spread. Sometime within the last year or so, the front right turn-signal was stuck on and BMW replaced the LCM under warranty. I believe that the same part went bad and now, 15k miles out of warranty, caused the fire. Additionally, the alarm sounded, the hood popped open, and three airbags were deployed. If my insurance company does not cover the damage fully, we are going to go straight to BMW NA for some restitution. Here is a link to another forum featuring X5 owners who had the same problem.
  • I have to admit that I am a high maintenance guy, so is my X5! Due to the prices, I tried regular unleaded 87, the first two week was OK, and then engine started to stall especially when you try to accelerate. Engine light comes on and off. The octan of 87 is too low to ignite in the engine. So, BMW designed this high maintenance engine, we have to feed it expensive food! I checked manual, the engine REQUIRES premium unleaded gas.
  • hove can i reset the service engine light on my 2002 bmwx5