Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• One tire of my new BMW X5 is flat because of a nail. Should I go to the BMW to replace it? Or can I find a local tire store to fixt it?
    Greatly thanks for your suggestions.
    Dale
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    God no! I have a new tire sitting in my garage at this very moment to replace a non-repairable flat I got the other day.

Go to Discount Tire or Tire Rack and order the OEM replacement. Have a local tire shop install it for you. Way cheaper!

Actually, if it is flat because of a nail, your local tire shop can probably patch it for about $12.
  • I am looking at a warranty for my 2006 X5 4.4. I bought used on eBay, and I have 41,250 miles on the car. The warranty prices range from $3,500 for 36 month/60K miles to $4,500 for 36 month/80K miles. I don't anticipate having this car more than 3 years.

Any advice for me? Are these warranties worth it generally for the X5? Given my low miles and little amount of time I'm planning on keeping this car, I'm not certain this is worth it, but I would appreciate some feedback. Is this a must do?

Thanks!
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    The way I view extra warranties, it's kind of like insurance. The only difference is you're not likely to total your BMW in regards to a warranty.

The general perception is that you will be ahead by taking that $3,500 (or $4,500) and putting it in a bank account and then drawing out of that bank account to pay for repairs.

Could you have something that needs to be repaired that exceeds the amount? Yep. It just usually isn't likely. I have the same car that I bought used and other than the transmission issue that in my case was not fixed even after replacing the transmission, it seems to not have any major problems. Of course, I ended up with the 100,000 mile CPO warranty from the person who owned it before me. So for me, if I had bought one, it probably would have paid for itself. I believe I am the exception.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,280
    My wife drives a 2004 X3 that we purchased as a CPO in December 2005; it now has over 100K on the clock and I never needed the CPO warranty. I had one warranty repair under the new car warranty- a defective passenger seat SRS sensor was replaced.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I just replaced the oil level sensor and need help resetting the dash light that comes on when you turn car off. "check engine oil level"
  • i just bought a 2003 x5 and seems that when the car is fully warmed up when i come to a complete stop, the down shift from 2nd to 1st is rough and jerks anybody had same problem or maight know anything about this
  • bmw35bmw35 Posts: 1
    Can i purchase additional warranty as my warranty has expired on 101010 and how much it will cost me.I have 54,000 miles on it.

Thx
    Kesh
  • Frank - I have a 2008 x5 - same thing. Cover the brake well - it will sometimes jerk/lurch. So - I guess they have not improved the xDrive software since 2003!
    LOL! I'm not sure what can be done about it.
  • I have 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0 (since June). Not only I feel the down shift jerk, but also some gear grinding low noise, too. I hope we can get some insights from a BMW designer to understand why it is such a challenge!
  • thank you for the information im taking car to a shop hopefully they can come up with an axplenation i will keep you posted on anything see if help you guys out
  • the maintenance program is totally a joke or scam. It cover oil change and front wipper only.
    My X5 still under 6 years warranty. My local dealer in alhambra want to charge me $145 for break inspection, $320 for repairing a dead break light (I paid $10 to a roadside garage, they resolved the problem in 1 minute). BMW dealer do not provide tire rotate service unless you pay them extra money and they keep pushing me replace all four tires for more than $1600 even my X5 has only 20000 miles.
    DO NOT PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM BMW.
  • Is that in Spain? I have the extended warranty on my 2008. Everything but new tires is covered. I even broke a tail-light lens myself and they replaced it. I would think that your dealership is not doing the job...
  • Union Park BMW in Wilmington, Delaware and Otto's BMW of West Chester, PA. as well as BMW's national service representative all told me the following regarding rotor and pad replacement. I asked the same question when I was told my rotors would not be replaced along with the pads under warranty! The deal is, when the pad sensor light warns you that the pads need to be replaced, that is all that is required. The rotors are measured and as long as they are above BMW specs, only the pads are replaced. Now, here is the confusing part; once new pads are placed on your BMW, the rotor spec is lowered to what is referred to as "the state legal minimum". Only then, will the rotors be replaced under warranty! If you are are automatically replacing rotors each time pads are replaced, you are wasting money! I have been driving my X5 with new pads and old rotors for some time now. And yes, it is all still covered under warranty.
  • check the recalls for your BMW i saw they recalled due to bad brake line causing more damage
  • jim448jim448 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 535XI and had this same problem...this fixed the issue.

On my car, the steering column would go all the way down when i entered the car first time. I could move it up but it would not work the first time I tried (heard a click when i tried). The second time I tried to move it up, it would go but when I turned the car off it started all over again.

Holding the memory 1 key in , moving the seats and turning car on and off 2 times corrected all of these problems - Thanks so much.
  • lprismlprism Posts: 2
    My shifter failed to move from park to drive, although it would move from drive to reverse and back just fine. The shop I have been going to for years found a used shifter and installed it. It will not move into manual mode now, although it works fine from park through reverse. They claim it is a plastic bushing and to make a new one out of metal would cost $200 (getting near the cost of a new shifter.) I looked up the shifter part and it appears there is only one bushing, which does not look like plastic. It looks like there are two rods which would control the auto and manual modes. Is it really one of these rods (which can be bought on-line) which is the issue? If so, is this a quick repair if I purchase the two rods for $11 or so? The story is not adding up. I miss the sporty manual mode (well, my teen daughter really does.)
  • lprismlprism Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Update. I took a photo of the part at issue, but can't post it here. I understand now why I can't shift into manual (plastic bushing wired now to prevent broken parts from falling off). Now the question is whether I can get the parts in red (plastic cap, plastic connector, plastic cap on other end) without buying a whole new shifter. Amazing that they make this part out of plastic and not make it spareable, near as I can tell.

Looking at the shifter from the driver's seat with the cover removed, this is the plastic bushing on the back left part of the shifter, 180 deg to the shifter movement plane. It has a cap on one end, a rod in the center near as I can tell and a plastic cap on the other end (the one that sheared off) that fits into a stationary cyclinder separate from the shifter on the right side that enables the shifter to move into the manual mode direction.
  • Light came on and at dealership fault code 2A87 resulted in an oil change and replacement vanos solenoids. 200 miles later check engine light back on. Before I go back to the dealership I was told that probable solution is a partial rebuild of engine due to oil changes not being at 7,000 intervals resulting in a residue buildup. 2007 X5 81,000 miles, have followed the recommended (dealership) service plan. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?