Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Patriot

2»

Comments

• How come there aren't any tow hooks on the regular Patriot?
    I've crawled around it and couldn't see any type of attachment points anywhere.

To me part of the fun of owning a 4wd vehicle is being able to help others at the roadside: pull other cars out of snowbanks and ditches etc.
    I do it all the time in my Subaru.
    Are people who own Patriots with Freedom Drive I or the 5-speed manual never supposed to go off-road at all?
    Because if they do, sooner or later they will need to get some help, and without any tow hooks at all it will be very difficult to get help, even if they go wheeling with a buddy.

I find this very disappointing.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
  • djp_63djp_63 Posts: 10
    Here is a 30,000+ mile report on my Patriot. I purchased an 07, 2.4 litre, FWD, CVT Sport with all the basic popular options and alloy wheels. First, I have only had it back to the dealer to update the CVT software and have had no other problems to date. I drive about 75% on the highway and get 26 to mid 28 mpg consistently. The ride is smooth and quiet with good handling and manoeuvrability.

The Exterior:

The paint seems good (mine is light khaki), but the sheet metal is noticeably thin. I had a plastic trim piece come loose from along the bottom of the windshield. Everything else seems very solid, tight doors and nice lift gate. I use Turtle Wax Ice for polish with good results because it works on the plastic parts too. I will eventually add a hitch to attach a bike rack. There is also an issue with the hood flexing at highway speed. Mine does this a little, but I understand that the hinges were redesigned to fix the problem. I may get mine fixed.

The Interior:

The front seats are very comfortable (I'm 6'2" @ 180 lbs) and the YES Essential fabric is great (Florida). The back seat can hold three adult sized children fine, but two is better of course. Overall, the interior is good with a nod to Jeep utilitarianism. My complaint is it scratches too easily. Also the beige colour is a bit unappealing but okay. I think the grey looks better. Carpet is nice, and the plastic stowage area cleans easily. The rear and passenger seat folds flat making it possible to put 8' lumber inside and close the hatch. Plywood and the like must go on the roof. The A/C works well in conjunction with the tinted windows. The knobs and controls feel of lower quality but placed well and intuitive. The fog lamp switch is clumsy and the turn signal stem is stiff. I hope they improve these. Radio is very good for factory. Visibility is good to okay, as the A and B pillars are a bit bulky. However, good mirrors and a higher sitting position help a lot.

Engine and CVT:

The 4 cylinder is strong and reasonably smooth. The oil, air filter and spark plugs are easily serviced with a well organised engine compartment. One of my hesitations with buying this was the CVT and its reliability. I watched the Dodge Caliber for over a year to see how they were doing and read of testing that showed a 300,000 mile durability cycle. I am hoping for at least half that at a minimum. After driving the CVT for a while, I think I am a convert, and will be completely won over if they prove to be reliable. It does take some getting used to, but once you do, they are great. However, if you are the gas-mashing type and aggressive, it will fight you and make a lot of noise. I routinely pull away from everyone at stops with very little pedal and passing at highway speed is easy with only a little nudge. The CVT shines with mountain driving as the RPMs ramps up without straining the motor at all. I find myself passing lots of cars on my way up, and on the way down, the CVT pays back again by applying engine braking keeping the car at speed without using your brakes much at all. Again, it is very fluid when you learn how to drive it. My wife's Scion xD will hunt for the right gear and thrash the engine. The CVT steel belt is supposedly good for the life of the vehicle and requires no service until 100,000 miles (fluid change).

Safety:

Front and side air bags, ESP, ABS, roll mitigation and four wheel disc standard on a $15000 vehicle. The body looks and feels stout with multi-layered steel with internal bonding structural foam in-between key areas. The door thresholds are box beams with sturdy looking A and B pillars forming a cage around you. It has very good crash test ratings and my insurance company actually lowered my rates.

Overall, I am very happy with my Patriot, but time will tell as it is too new of a vehicle. My last Cherokee gave me 170,000 trouble free miles. Before that I milked over 300,000 out of a Dodge Dakota with very little trouble. So my expectations are high. I have read where many Dodge Calibers are on car lots with over 100,000 miles still running strong. That's a good start, and I have not heard of any pandemic CVT failures. These CVTs are made by JATCO and have been used in Japan for many years now with good results. Ford's CVT seemed problematic at the onset. Understand this is an economy vehicle starting under $16K going into the low 20s. Mine was under 19K and optioned well. So this Jeep represents a good value to me, is solid driving, nice on the eyes, decent fuel economy and inexpensive respectively. I would gladly drive a stripped version 5 speed, crank windows, vinyl seats and steel wheels if all I could afford was $15k.
  • Bought our Patriot end of Oct/2007. We endured an exceptionally hard winter in Colorado 2007/2008. I am very happy to report our Jeep Patriot 4x4 Trail-Rated (w/CVT) proved exceptionally stable and stout in many trips up and down and over the Continental Divide, even over rugged Hoosier Pass (Breckenridge-to-SouthPark) about 11,00-ft elevation, above tree line.. Patriot muscled right over in the worst possilbe conditions - extremely heavy winds, blowing/drifting snow, low to non-existent visibility: zero complaints, steady as a rock, great grip, nice and tight. The only problem the whole winter was when newly-licensed teenager was able to 'break the wheels' making a turn on icy street and hit the curb in an awkward way - which expensively boogered up the suspension and steering. Runs fine now after the fix. Jeep also ran great during the hot summer. That thing likes to get up hills, for sure. Can't wait to take it off-road this Fall at Kenosha Pass.

Only real complaint is during a slow deceleration there is a definite dead spot at about 12 - 15 mph. Local dealership techie said this was because of the way transmission software is set up. He said that this dead spot comes about because of exigencies built in to the CVT protocol that need to account for a quick acceleration should it occur in that range, He was going to check with "his people" to see if there would be fix for this, but I never heard back.

All-in-all, I like this vehicle, especially all the interior room and the way it handles on-road during inclement situations.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Patriot drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I purchased an 08 Patriot in March .We have been very happy with all round performance and service etc.
    I noticed the other day that the car was begining to smell musty and after a particular heavy downpour I found water leaking through my rear interior
    cargo light .I checked out the net and found many similar stories .
    Can any body tell me, even if the leak is fixed what the long term effects could be after all of this water sloshing around in my vehicle?
    What is the normal recourse in Canada should you feel your vehicle is a lemon?
    Can I ask for extended coverage on warranty for electrical /structural or aesthetic deficiencies caused by interior corrosion?
  • I bought a 2007 4x4 Patriot in Feb. 2007. I really enjoy the Patriot for the most part and feel it is much more stable than my 2002 Grand Cherokee was.

I was hesitant at first about the CVT but after researching it I trusted it since it has been in use for a while by other car companies. Everything had been going great until last August. I took the car in for an oil change when the mechanic told me there was something leaking that was not oil and appeared to be transmission fluid. I took it to the dealership. At first they couldn't find the leak but acknowledged that there was definitely a leak happening. The trans fluid level was low and they could see the leak residue. They put a tracer dye in and sent me on my way. I took it in 2 days later after noticing that there had been some major leaking in the parking spot I was in. That's when I got the shock.

The jeep only had 36600 miles on it. They discovered that there was a leak in the CVT casing. After contacting JATCO, the maker of the CVT, they were told that they do not make a replacement part for this casing. So, the whole CVT assembly needed to be replaced. At first JATCO was going to replace it even though it was not under warranty because they couldn't believe it would go bad so quickly. A few days later JATCO changed their mind and decided they weren't going to cover it because it was out of warranty. Luckily for me, the dealership decided to honor it since it was only 600 miles past the expiration of the warranty (missed the lifetime warranty by about 6 months!)

So, we ended up agreeing on me paying $100 to cover the repair. This was a $3800 repair by the way. So, while I am happy with the dealership for helping me out, my concern is-has anyone else heard of anything like this? I am a very easy driver on this car and only use the 4x4 for the snow. I don't offroad or cause any other stress to the car so did I just get a bum part or should I be worried for the future? This new trans only has a 12000 mile warranty so I don't want to find out in a few months that I will be out a lot of money.

Thanks.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    I've been investigating the Jeep twins, Compass and Patriot for secondhand purchase. This is invaluable information, so thanks for the jingo-free details. That transmission is also in the Nissan Rogue, but for whatever reason seems to act differently in it (better?), at any rate it has a good track record, but as you say, it requires relearning how to drive a car that's got it. The bad reviews that refer to sluggishness seem to indicate even the professional reviewers haven't learned how to do this yet, lol.

The '09s have improved the padding on the armrests, but I wonder whether the objection to the harder plastics in the '07 wouldn't be alleviated by wearing clothing! I understand totally about being spoiled by a car you've had for years and having to lower expectations a tad. Velour is nice, but sometimes you have to make do with something else.

Anyway, thanks for the detail, you didn't really mention average mileage, but perhaps you could post these results on another thread?
  • Who's Patriot has water leaks? Has anyone filed at claim to Chrysler for a buy back. Here is my story:
    My 08 Patriot is at the dealers now and has been there for two weeks. Water leak at rear dome light. This is the fifth time at the dealers. Dealer has no idea where it leaks. They even took it to a body shop. I filed a complaint with Chrysler they been putting me off. Still waiting and trying to get them to buy it back since it is still under warranty. I am passed the lemon law date in VA. Anything older than 18 months is to late to file a lemon law claim. :confuse:
  • chmaddingchmadding Posts: 2
    I hate to be the berror of really bad news. My husband and I bought a brand new Jeep Patriot in February of 2009. We noticed a bad musty smell within the first six weeks of having purchased this vehicle. At the same time, my windows were getting fogged up because of the humidity inside of my vehicle.
    I have the same leaky cargo light problem you have. In fact I was assured by the dealership, after I currently have had this car in for service on this same problem for the ninth time, that the leak was fixed. (This was just last week.) I have since driven this car during two downpours and the leak is still there.
    As of now, I have a fishbowl of water in the rear of my vehicle.
    My husband and I began seaking legal advice once this car had been in the repair shop during the forth time, for the same problem. :lemon:
    It is a problem that I know that noone is able to fix, here in Tennessee.
    Good Luck with your Jeep. :cry:
  • chmaddingchmadding Posts: 2
    Unless you get an Attorney on this, Chrysler will forever put you off. You have to become the ugly one, on this. This is why I have a Lemon Law Attorney now.
  • BEWARE!!! Chrysler will try to make you think it is YOUR fault but it is REALLY faulty manufacturing!! If you have a sun roof there are drains along the inside edge of the sunroof. THE DRAINS ARE TOO NARROW. The diameter of the drains are HALF the diameter of the Honda Pilot..my husband's car.

Also, there are drains under the hood in the corners near the front windshield. Chrysler will tell you that you are not 'maintaining" your car...keeping the drains clear from debris...they found ONE LEAF in my car and said that was the cause of the drain back up.

This all started within the first two months that I owned the car! make sure to check your carpets because the drains back up and saturate your carpets.

We are filing a suit against Chrysler and looking into Lemon laws.
  • Was wondering what recourse you had with Chrysler regarding the water? My rear dome light and front overhead lights pour water out of them every time there is a heavy rain...started just two months after I had the car. Chrysler said that i am supposed to clean out the drains but I check them twice a week and nothing is blocking them. The diameter of the drains is HALF the diameter of the drains in my husband's Honda Pilot which has NEVER leaked. I got a big fat "I told you so" for buying American. My Patriot is a 2009...still under warranty and Chrysler wont fix it.
  • dtocchiodtocchio Posts: 1
    Notice a bad musty smell...bottom line is the car leaked from the roof line and back tail light assembly from the day I brought it home from the dealer. The trunk well was full of mold like you won't believe. Jeep paid 70 percent of the cost but still not happy..for 23 grand it should not have leaked in the first place. Also ball joint at 40 thousand miles too
2»