Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester exhaust/fuel smell in cab

2»

Comments

• bluewater2014bluewater2014 Member Posts: 1
    My month old 2014 Forester xt has proven to be an enjoyable and fun decision. This is my first turbo experience and I'm quite impressed.
    However, I'd like someone to explain the smell coming from the vents. It smells like body odor. I only detect it when the car is idling or backing up as I park. Its winter and maybe I'm smelling fuel additives.
  • ssabourinssabourin Member Posts: 2

@bluewater2014 said:
    My month old 2014 Forester xt has proven to be an enjoyable and fun decision. This is my first turbo experience and I'm quite impressed.
    However, I'd like someone to explain the smell coming from the vents. It smells like body odor. I only detect it when the car is idling or backing up as I park. Its winter and maybe I'm smelling fuel additives.

• ssabourinssabourin Member Posts: 2

I have the same problem with my new, Forester XT. The dealer opened the hood and showed me where the smell of body odor was coming from. It is assembly lube. The manufacturer puts it on some of the engine parts. If you open the hood of your car, you can smell exactly where it is coming from. I was told it should burn off eventually. I hope this helps. I have noticed the smell is not as strong as it use to be.

• suboutback2011suboutback2011 Member Posts: 1
    jenkinskg said:
    After temp went to 15 deg F I started getting a gas smell also I also periodically get a code for my emission system Says gas cap lose There is prob a hose cracked somewhere causing both problems? Not sure
    What you're describing might be due to a bad gasket around the mouth of the gas tank, nect tovthe gas cap. The error was nasty for my 2011 Outback. It disabled traction control. And all due to a gasket... It's even in the manual and there's also a note on the gas cap itself.