Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy

lucglucg Posts: 1
Just wanted to let all the readers know that I
leased my Blazer 2 years ago. I put over 46K on it
already, and not ONE problem yet. The brakes are
still good! Unbelievable!! This is a great truck.
I recommend buying the Blazer. I am going to
purchase one soon.

Comments

• richman98richman98 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Blazer LS 2-door w/ almost 68K miles on it. About 6 months into my lease, the ignition wiring harness shorted out and left me dead on the road. A few months later, my alternator went out. Soon thereafter, it went out again. The recline levers have snapped off both the passenger and driver side seats. One during warranty, the driver side soon after (not the cheapest fix). Overall it's a good truck, I just hope the redesigned 2001 is a lot more solid like they claim to be.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I had a 97 Blazer, put 55K miles on it with nary a problem. 6 months ago I traded it for a Trooper (needed more headroom). Just heard that the people who bought my old Blazer had the tranny go kablooie on them. That's a $2,000 headache I'm glad I don't have.

Just goes to show, 46K miles without a problem isn't necessarily a trend...
  • Tranny life may be shortened due to a design flaw with the ATF dipstick/seal. The defect is it doesn't seal out moisture, and with it positioned below the passenger windshield washer nozzle, moisture can get in the fluid. So without periodic fluid changes, the tranny life may be shortened. On my '97 Bravada, I had the dipstick and the dipstick tube replaced under warranty at 24K last year. I also changed the ATF and filter at 30K miles, and replaced it with Mobil 1 ATF, since it has better heat tolerance than the std. Dex-III fluid. Incidentally, I periodically pull my boat with it, and live in a hilly region, so I think the tranny gets taxed more than a "normal" highway SUV, for example.

No tranny problems, and the truck just turned 40K miles.

Oh yes, my alternator and the belt tensioner developed a squealing bearing at 25K miles, so they were replaced under warranty. My '93 Grand Prix had an alternator let go electrically at 36K miles.

My advice: if you own a GM, odds are good you'll replace an alternator at least once before 100K miles. Replace it with a remanufactured aftermarket (quality) alternator, NOT a GM re-man!
  • Thanks for your helpful input, poisondartfrog. I need to squeeze better than 200K miles out of my 1990. At 130K so far. I managed to get 120K out of the alternator and the tranny is still going strong (knock on wood). I change the fluid somewhat regularly, but I'll take your advice and try the Mobil 1.

I'm going to push another six months on the front end, but it's shot. I need to do the whole works. The good thing is that the old models are easy to work on and parts are cheap. But if you can't do the work yourself, the Blazer is definitely a rather expensive truck to upkeep.
  • If you put deep-tread knobbie tires on a Blazer (which I wouldn't recommend), would the resulting vibration tear up the trannie any more quickly than AT M+S tires? What's a good type for 50/50 paved road & gravel driving?
  • I'd be more worried about the bearings in the differential. I bet the crazy harmonics from the "knobby" tires on concrete/asphalt would accelerate bearing ball/race wear.

I'd check www.tirerack.com for an AT tire (Michelin & Dunlop come to mind). You probably want the LT rather than the P series tire - gives you better load capability (stiffer sidewall) and 1 or 2 more plys.
  • sandys2sandys2 Posts: 2
    I bought a used 1996 blazer last april 55.000 miles i also purchased the extenedted warrenty seems my tranmission had water in it and the warrenty will not cover it. ? why would i have water in my trans/
  • sandys2sandys2 Posts: 2
    but paying 2,350 for a new transmission
  • GM has a service bulletin about corrosion of the dipstick and corrosion of the dipstick tube. I had it on my '97 Bravada, which was fixed under the 3 yr./36K warranty. The fluid was also changed out (very iimportant).

It seems the seal on the top of the dipstick is poorly designed; it allows water to get into the tube, and thus, the transmission. The source of the water can be from the passenger windshield washer nozzle/plumbing, or the water leaking past the nozzle seal. The trans dipstick is located right below!

So it's two-fold - water drips into the tranny through the dipstick seal, and the rest of the water corrodes the outsie of the tube. Check the '97 Blazer forum for more instances of this problem.

I would fight the warranty company on this one. As a design flaw, you shouldn't pay to replace the tranny.
  • Bought Blazer new in 10-98. Recliner mechanisms replaced 3 times, and adjusted, and "cannot detect problem" another 5. Design problem per rep, potmetal used. Failure on 2 door blazers and x-cab Chevy s10. This vehicle has been a nightmare, 35k miles, idler arms, trim, short in instrument panel, more than I care to remember. Pages of dealer visits-must have been one of those Monday or Friday vehicles !
  • I own a 97,,,and all of the controls and switches seem to be lit up ,,,all but my headlight switch,,,does the switch cover come off? I didn't try to take it apart,,It looks that there might be a micro bulb behind it...also I have a question,,my tires seem to lose air pressure,,I might have bad valve stems,, or is it a problem with these aluminum rims...
  • I too, owned a 98 lemon blazer......it's not to late for you to file a lemon law claim! GM knows they produced alot of these bad blazers. I owned my 98 ZR2 for two years, 36 service visits, (generally unsuccessful service visits)....bad loaner vehicles, crappy treatment from reps at the 1-800, we have your money, we don't give a [non-permissible content removed] hotline( aka customer service). You don't have to live with the nightmare, although it took 2 years to return the lemon to GM,1GNCT18WXWK149605, I got my money back, recovered my attorney fees, and resumed a normal life instead of sitting at the dealership listening to lame excuses for my vehicle problems.
  • I have a '98 Blazer I leased new...last year as the temps changed, I was having problems with the battery draining overnite...nothing on...but it was dead in the morning...they told me the battery had a dead cell...i replaced the battery with a Diehard(instead of the cheap A/C Delco)...this year as it gets cold...same thing...its happened for the dealer when at the service dept. but they say they cant find anything draining it...well, SOMETHING obviously is...went back in today for the 5th time in a month...anyone else had any similar problems? everytime they say the battery and alt. check out ok and they cant find any drains on the system!!
    Im ready to "lemon law" it!!!
  • Richman, read my posting..#13...is this what yours was doing before they found the wiring harness short?
  • There is definitely a short. The trick will be in finding it. There are only about a million things that could cause it. I once had an old Honda that did that. Fortunately, it took two days to drain the battery and it rarely sat for two days. Good luck finding it. Does it have a block heater?
  • Hello
    I was wondering if you could maybe help me out, my 1997 Blazer has a problem with its front wipers. The wipers work fine all the time except when we need them, they work almost all of the time but once in a while they go totally dead, including the washers. This has happened 5 times this year almost always when it starts to rain, I have been able to start the wipers by manually pulling on the arm from outside the vehicle and then they work fine, could this be the control module?
    If it is the control module where is it located and what is the best way to replace it?
    Thank You
    Also is there a recall on this problem Thanks again
  • I HAVE A 96 BLAZER. LOVE IT TO DEATH, BUT YES I
    HAVE A BUT IN THERE CHEVY. CHEVY NEEDS TO LEARN HO
    TO MAKE A BLAZER CORRECT. I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE
    ROAD AND MY TRUCK TEMP WHEN UP TO 260 AND IT IS
    NORMALY AT ROUND 210(RIGHT) WELL I TOOK IT IN TO A
    GOODYEAR, AND I WAS WATCHING THEY WORK ON IT. I
    DECIDED TO CHECK MY RADIATOR AND GUESS WHAT I
    FOUND. MUDD NO WATER JUST WAT MUDD!! SO PISSED OF
    I CALLED CHEVY AND THEY SAID IT'S A COMMON
    PROBLEM. HERE'S HOW IT HAPPENS. RADIATOR FUILD
    NEEDS TO BE CHANGE EVERY 2YEAR. I SAID OK FINE, BUT YOU HAVE TO USE THE SAME LIKED OR FUILD EVERY TIME OR THIS WILL HAPPEN, UNLESS YOU GET A 19.95 BOTTLE OF CLEANER EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE FUILD (2YEARS)NOW HOW MANY PEOPLE KNEW THAT! AND HOW THE HELL AMI GOING TO TELL WHAT KIND(BRAND)SOMEONE PUT IN MY TRUCK IF I BROUGHT IT USED OR IF I GET A SHOP TO CHANGED IT. SO I HAD TO GET A NEW RADIATOR AND $368
    CHEVY DEARLSHIP(JERKS) AND BUT BEFORE THAT CHEVY
    SAID LETS TRY TO FLUSH IT x2 SO I PAID $222.03 TO
    FLUSH IT TWICE AND THEN THEY TELL ME THAT IT NOT
    GOING TO WORK, BUT I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE
    FLUSHES.(JERKS)AND I NEED A NEW RADIATOR. AND THAT
    $368 THAT THE COST OF THE PART NOT THE LABOR. I
    HAVE HAD THE OTHER PROBLEMS THAT OTHER PEOPLE TALK
    ABOUT TOO.DIPSTICK AND O2CIN AND WINDSHEILD WIPER
    MOTOR, AND RUST UNDER THE SEAT. THE A/C DOESN'T
    WORK AND I'M NOT FITING THAT UNTIL SUMMER I JUST
    PAID $745 DOLLOR TO GET THE DAMN THING ON THE ROAD.I PUT OVER 3,000 DOLLORS INTOP MY TRUCK NOT IN REPLACING PARTS BUT MAKING IT A NICE
    TRUCK,TINT,STERIO SYSTEM, REMOTE SARTER, RUNNING
    BOARDS, AND EXHAUST AND MUCH MORE. I'M 20 YEARS OLD AND SPENT ALL THAT MONEY TO HAVE A NICE TRUCK ANDI'M STARTING TO THINK I SHOULD OF SPENT 16,000
    DOLLORS ON A DIFFRENT SUV AND THEN PUT THE 3000 OR
    SOME DOLLORS INTO IT.I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE BLAZER,BUT NOT THEN IT COMES OUT OF MY POCKET. THE
    DEALER CALLED IT MISSIPPISSI MUDD IN MY RADIATOR. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA NOT THERE. IF ANYONE HAS HAD
    PROBLEMS LIKE THIS PLEASE E-MAIL ME
    @BRASNICK12@AOL.COM OR BLAZER1202@YAHOO.COM
    WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS WITH THE BALZERS
    AND MAYBE SAVE SOME MONEY.
  • tug3tug3 Posts: 1
    The problem with your wipers is going to be the motor itself. Just like the starte n a car, when it goes bad, it wont work, but if you apply power to it, and jar it, like tapping on it or forcing it to move, it will work. Once it stops, it depends on wether or not it stops on the "dead spot" if it will start working on its own next time.
  • 89n9889n98 Posts: 1
    I own 2 blazers. An 89 and a 98. The 89 has 140,000 on it and still runs strong. Beyond normal maintenance, I've only replaced the Battery, Alternator, and some throttle body gaskets.
    On the other hand my 98 LS 4door has put me in the dealer waiting room a couple times. At a little under 10,000 miles I had it in to replace some axle bearings.
    Just at 36,000 (ok a little over but the dealer was good to me) the alternator left me stranded in the grocery store parking lot.
    Then at 39,000 after some highway driving the transmission would slip and shift really hard. Yep they rebuilt the trans. Luckily I did purchase the extended warranty for the drive train(still had a $250 deductable). I wish I would have gotten the full 60month warranty.
    Now a few weeks ago and sitting at 45,000miles, Chicago got that 16inches of snow and I'm crawling to work pushing the 4x4 button and the back end is still coming around. NO 4WHEEL DRIVE!!!!! So I'm thinking its from the trans rebuild. Dealer comes back with "the battery wore away a vacuum hose for the 4x4 solenoid." But how can I complain when I leave the dealer and the bill is under $100?
    Oh I forgot about the lumbar support that when I was adjusting popped and doesn't move anymore.
    And what's up with the 95mph governer? Is someone really trying to corner one of these things at 100mph?
    Don't get me wrong, I love this truck. I could go on and on about how this is a great truck, but what happened to reliability?
  • 89n98, I hear you. I've done what I call the "typical" repairs to my 1990. It's had a hard life and has held up unbelievably well (except of course for the paint job). It's nearing 140k and I'll be rebuilding the front suspension. Based on the roads it's been driven on for most of its life, I'm not about to complain. When my wife's Nissan crapped out (it WAS a piece of crap) we went to look at the 1999 Blazers, since our 1990 had held up so well. I was appalled at what they wanted to charge me 24K for. It didn't drive or handle as well as the 1990 and there were already rattles. I had also previously tested a used 1995 and wouldn't have given them 1/4 of what they were asking. It was possibly the most awful truck I'd ever driven. Thanks, but I'll just keep my 1990... possibly forever.