Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please e-mail me at ......

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information, views and opinions.

tidester, host
  • r31687r31687 Posts: 4
    its the injectors cleaning doesnt work u have to replace
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    "General Motors quietly ended production at its Linden, New Jersey, assembly plant, the last automobile manufacturing facility in the state, this week as it discontinued production of its Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy."

Bye-Bye, Blazer…and Jimmy (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • astern1astern1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. Recently I have been getting a squeak out of the rear wheels when the car is cold and I begin driving. It STOPS if I press the breaks lightly. Sometimes the queaking stops quickly. Other times it lasts quite a while. I'd like to have an idea of what this is before I take it to a mechanic. I'd appreciate any advice.
  • robynerobyne Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 4X4 Chevrolet Blazer, k-1500 model with a 8 cyl, 5.7L FI. Last 4 digits on the vin is 5190.

There is a debate going on and it is with hopes i can get some help finding the real answer. The debate regards whether or not this vechile needs a special GM Lubricant when doing service on the rear differential? Or is a 90w80 penzoil good enough? I think the debate is a debate because some individuals say it needs special lubrication because of itslimited slip differential. Can you help me clear things up? Thanks.
  • I have a 2000 chevy blazer and the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" Light comes on every now and then I just have to live with it but Have you changed the plugs and plug wires recently? well just write me back if you don't care...

Thanks,
    Jared :confuse:
  • blazzblazz Posts: 1
    How do I get my 2001 blazer to honk if I unlock it or if I lock it. Mine is silent now unless i hit lock twice. I want it to do it when I hit it once.
  • nedsneds Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 4.3 Jimmy. It usually starts fine and runs fine until it warms up, sometimes the problem may not show up for weeks, now it seems to happen constantly. First you notice that although it is running smoothly, when you try to accelerate, there is none. It continues to get worse until it will begin to stall, run really rough, and backfire. When it cools for a while (hours) it seems fine again for a while.
    I have connected a fuel pressure gage and with the key on/ engine off it shows 60psig. Although the pressure did drop off over night, it has held for over an hour this morning. I was able to watch the fuel pressure while the engine was running poorly and it actually went UP a few psig when I opened the throttle as the engine lacked power. I figure this means that the injector is not operating causing the problem.
    I also removed the vane thing on top of the plenum and can see no signs of fuel washing either side clean.

Any and all help will certainly be appreciated!!

Thankx,
    Ned
  • mjt1mjt1 Posts: 1
    My 1999 Blazer LE just developed a leaky heater core, which just about got me killed this morning! The vapor clouded the windshield in about three seconds and there was ZERO visibility. At 3:30 a.m. total darkness and oncoming traffic are no joke when you can't see anything but anti-freeze rolling down the inside of the windshield.

Worst part is, repairs will cost in excess of $1 Thousand Dollars! Entire dash bas to be pulled, air-conditioning system evacuated, and anytime a dasboard has been pulled in my experience there is major trouble afterward! Heater core is installed right behind the upper dash vents! What a dumb design. Does anyone know if there have been any heater core recalls for the 1999 Blazer? This amount of repair cost makes me want to switch to Ford! I'm going to look at Ford trucks this weekend. Screw GM! :sick:
  • mike1330mike1330 Posts: 1
    please help im having the same problem on my 2000 jimmy do you know what they did to fix it
  • tarahtarah Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Last week as I was driving my 1998 Chevy Blazer, I noticed a strange smell that I assumed was coming from outside. However, as I continued down the freeway, I noticed that smoke was coming from the car. At first I could not locate its origin, but when I looked down, it was coming from the driver's seat!! I immediately pulled over, and looked under the seat, from the back, to notice there was a small fire under the seat. The wind put it out very quickly, but not before the black material covering the wires under the seat had melted unto the carpet (hence the smell).

I called my local dealership and was told I probably blew a fuse. Call me crazy, but should I have caught on fire from blowing a fuse? :confuse:
    I'm taking the car into the dealership tomorrow, but I'm totally afraid this is going to cost me big bucks! I had to take it in a few months ago because the wipers stopped working in the middle of a huge rain storm! I overheard the service people saying that there was a recall on the parts, but I did not qualify because I bought my car used, I'm thinking I might be in for it again. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? HELP!! :confuse:
    And also, could someone explain why recall status does not apply to me because the car had a previous owner?
    Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    And also, could someone explain why recall status does not apply to me because the car had a previous owner?

Recalls follow the vehicle (using the VIN); it shouldn't make any difference who the owner is.

A Quick Guide to Recalls

If it's truly a recall and not a TSB or simply a known issue, escalate the issue to GM or your local consumer affairs office or the NHTSA. Check the Maintenance Guide link in the article above to see if there is a recall that applies to your problem.

Steve, Host
  • dooleeydooleey Posts: 4
    Hey the problem with the lights is dome overide u need to press it about 7 times maybe less with the switch on A or all the way to the left u will hear a charm and then you are good to go
  • jmm0254jmm0254 Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 GMC Jimmy with a Vortec engine (6 cyl). Just today it stalled at a stop light. After that it has stalled several times and the idle is rough. I sometimes have to apply more accelaration when coming to a stop to keep it running. I also noticed that the power brakes fail when this happens. I am sure this is becuse the idle is so low. If I keep the idle up when stopping, the brakes are fine.

I was told that it may be the Idle Air Controller. I have tried to locate it but can't. I do have a Haynes repair manual for this vehicle, but no where does it show it.

Curious if this would be your diagnosis also. I am wondering if you could direct me to its' location and also if it can be cleaned or only replaced.

Thanks

jmm0254@sbcglobal.net
  • y2kdocy2kdoc Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 jimmy four wheel drive. The car seems to roar real loud as I drive it and the car is sucking twice as much gas than normal. The button shows 2 Hi but is it possible that it is stuck in 4 Hi for when I change it there does not seem to be any difference.
  • y2kdocy2kdoc Posts: 3
    your brakes most likely they have a sensor sometimes for the warning have a place that does free brake inspections, but when you do see if you can wonder out to the garage yourself to see them so you want have a bunch of crap told tou you.
  • 96sle96sle Posts: 1
    4.3L Manufactured 3/96.Getting harder to start when cold. Use to be successful by turning key to run position several times, listening for fuel pump to run and click off indicating fuel line is pressurized then turning key to ignition position. Recently it would only start (cold) after many cranks with a 420 amp boost/charger attached. Re-starts OK after it has been running. Engine runs OK (smooth) after finally starting Fuel squirts from schrader valve behind throttle body when center is pressed but I do not have a practical means to measure pressure. Replaced fuel filter yesterday and it did not help the starting problem. Would not start cold this am using old procedure. Tried adding fuel to throttle body and it started immediately. Have a Haynes 24071 manual for '94 thru '96 but it does not seem cover '96 very well. I assume I have a CMFI or CSEFI system but pictures in manual do not match - is that because California has a unique configuration? Next I am going to try adding FI cleaner to the gas tank. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

96SLE
  • 86jimmy86jimmy Posts: 3
    I own an 86 jimmy for a while it has been running a little rough(I suspect a clogged injector)before I get ahead of myself its a 2.8 throttlebody.I sent it to the bodyshop to blow in a few rust spots and change the front body mounts.It sat for a month there now the wierdest thing is happening...I go to put in reverse the idol races up I put it back in park the idol goes down.I look at the throttle body and nothing moves..any gear I put it in the idol just races untill I put it back in park...Anyone know what this is?
    thx
  • 86jimmy86jimmy Posts: 3
    When I left the bodyshop it wasnt doing it(as I know) and the motor was still cold
  • mamarabmamarab Posts: 1
    We purchased a 1996 Blazer for our son. Thank God, he was not driving the vehicle tonight. It caught fire parked in the driveway. The fire apparently started in the drivers door around the area of the controls for the side mirror. The fire was so intense, the rear view mirror melted, the windshield broke, and the side mirror is hanging off the vehicle. The dash, drivers door, headliner, seats, etc are completely destroyed. Why would this happen? If you have this type of vehicle, please take extra precautions!!!!