Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy

Comments

• hengheng Posts: 411
    there are some posts a while back on the rusty dip stick
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,025
    New Rollover Ratings and New Crash Test Results

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Hello to everyone,
    I'm belarussian owner of ChevyBlazer'95 LT and have question about using car roof for carring luggage. I have roof rails on the top of my car. So the question is -
    Can I put luggage directly on the roof and secure it to the roof rails or I need to use special roof boxes or carrier baskets for this purpose? Because I think, the Chevrolet Blazer had reinforced roof.
    Could you help me with answer, please.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thank you,
    Gleb
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome to the Town hall! I am certain that the Blazer owners in this forum will be happy to provide you with the information you seek.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    The roof is very strong and has rub strips to prevent damage so I think you can use it without any extra stuff. The major concern is changing the handling if too much weigh is put on the roof because the SUV will become top heavy, making it more prone to rollover. I think the load limit is 150 or 200 lbs.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    There has been a request for a Chevy Blazer Owners club. If any other owners are interested, please let me know.

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owners Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• My 99 4wd LT Blazer is nearing the end of lease. It has been a great vehicle, the 2nd Blazer I've had, and I'm thinking of buying it. The buy-out is $24,000Canadian, but the book value is only $21,000Canadian. My dealer has offered it to me for $22,000 which seems fair enough. It has only 74,000kilometers on the odometer and is loaded with a 6-pack CD and a power sun roof. I've never had a breakdown in it, nor in the previous 1996Blazer. Am I lucky, or is this normal for Blazers? What can I expect in the next 3 years if I do buy it? Anyone have major problems with the 99 LT that I should be aware of?
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    Geologist1, I have been a GM loyalist for as long as I can remember, but I'm probably trading my '98 GMC Jimmy SLS 4x4 in for the all-new '03 4Runner. While GM just made #3 in the quality ratings, second to Toyota and Honda, a first for domestic manufacturers in a long time, I'm fed up with all the things that have gone wrong on my truck. It's been a love/hate relationship. While I love many aspects of my truck, I've had an awful lot of problems with annoying things, like having my catalytic converter replaced twice, and 2 of my fan speeds going out, not to mention a rattle in my sunroof when it's tilted open. Most of the things were covered under warrenty, but I just lost the 2 fan speeds last week, and I've been living with the rattle for some time. I live in Arizona, where it's 109º today, so the fan is pretty critical. Fortunately I have the high speed, but then it's blasting all the time, unless I want to fry.

I ordered my truck with exactly what I wanted on it, so I had to wait 2 months before I got it, then I had to take it back within the first month for problems! I swear it felt like I took it back in every month that first year of owning it. It has been pretty problem-free over the last 2 years, with the exception of replaced battery (the 3rd already), a new alternator, new Monroe Reflex shocks, and the addition of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires. I gotta tell you, the shocks and tires made a HUGE difference in the rough ride I was getting (I have the Euro/Off-road suspension).

Personally, I wouldn't buy the Blazer, but it sounds like you may have gotten a good one. So if you're happy with it and take care of it with regular service, you might be just fine. I was considering the new Trailblazer or Envoy, because they're getting good praise, and my dad loves his Envoy SLT, but they lowered the ground clearance, especially where the rocker panels are concerned. I actually take my truck off-road, so I've had it with GM.

I've always liked the looks and ground clearance of the 4Runner, but have been unimpressed with the power, interior, and value. It looks like the all-new one will turn all that around and give me the quality I deserve. I don't want to spend the $ on a gas-guzzling H2, so Toyota here I come!

For a long list of disgruntled posts that discuss all kinds of problems, check out the Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy Problems forum. Best of luck to you in your decision.
  • Thanks to tbcreative for your feedback. But I've read before that the stock of 98 GMC Jimmys contained a lot of lemons. Did GM solve the many problems by the time they produced the 99 Chevy Blazer? Or will some of those problems emerge once I become the owner?
    I hear what you say about the new larger GM SUVs. My dealer tells me they are what the US market wants. Huh. Not what I want at all. And yes, I might be leaving the fold of loyal GM Owners (my wife has a Cadillac STS, both my daughters have new cavaliers). I might decide to get a Hyundai Santa Fe. It's not a Blazer and cant do lots of things the Blazer can, but it is new technology and its the right size. The reports on line are excellent as is customer satisfaction. What do you think?
    Anyway, thanks.
  • That price sounds high. I got a 99 LT a year ago with 73000 on the clock, it never had a problem, by me or former owner. I paid $15.000 U.S. for mine and its fully loaded,I mean loaded.
    Geologist1, I'm not really sure about solving the problems by '99, but by the end of my first year of owning my '98 Jimmy, my service manager told me (when we were joking about how well we had gotten to know each other) that there were quite a few issues GM had addressed with the S series in general, the catalytic converter being one of them. I really didn't follow what issues came up for the '99s, but like I mentioned in my last post, my dad bought a 2000 GMC Envoy (the older body style), and had almost no problems with it. Even though he liked that one fine, he traded his for the new Envoy because of the new inline 6, better suspension, more technological advancements, size increase, and great design. But, he only had the 2000 for a little over a year, so who knows what may have gone wrong after that. Maybe nothing. My uncle had a '97 Jimmy SLE 4x4, and had only minor problems with it, but complained that the engine seemed under-powered compared to mine. I have a K&N filtercharger, but he said he had driven a couple of others too. He traded his Jimmy for the new Trailblazer last summer and has been thrilled with it.

I wish I could share more than my limited experiences, but I hope some of this helps. Your Blazer may be fine for a few years, but what sticks in the back of my mind as I contemplate my next vehicle, is the issue you point out about technology. This platform was introduced in '95, which means development began about 2 years prior, so our trucks are, technologically, about 9 years old.

I'd like to know more about your time frame for getting a new SUV before I give my 2 cents on the Santa Fe. Because if you can wait, and you like their styling, I would recommend checking out the new Kia Sorento and Nissan Murano when they come out within the next few months. If you haven't seen pictures yet, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Also, have you considered the Toyota Highlander or Saturn Vue? It sounds like it may be a little too big for you, but have you considered the new Honda Pilot? I drove one last weekend, and OH MAN what a great vehicle! If I didn't require 4Lo, this would be a major contender for the '03 4Runner. I'm still going to try to see if my wife may be interested in considering it instead of a mini van. ;o)

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope I'm helping in your quandary!
  • The comments and discussion about my 99Blazer ARE very helpful. My lease ends June 30 so I have less than 2 weeks to decide. Toyota Highlander is very expensive here - about $5000 more than a loaded Bravada and almost as big, so not for me. I cant wait for the Kia nor Nissan, thought the Vue a bit 'cheap' (I like leather seats - not available on Vue here), and the Honda Pilot hasn't appeared here yet... right now my decision will be either the buy-out or the Santa Fe. Again, many thanks to all. Food for thought.
    I have one more question for you and I'll leave you to your decision. Have you considered the Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, or Land Rover Freelander? They seem like great vehicles, have gotten good reviews, and my neighbors love their Tribute. They're a little smaller in cargo room than our trucks, but I was just curious whether or not you had considered them.

It's a shame the Highlander is so expensive in Canada. I was parked next to one the other night and was comparing the size and it looks almost identical in length and width to my truck. I didn't think about it being very big until you mentioned it was almost as big as the Bravada. Anyway, it's just too bad that isn't an affordable option. What about the all-new Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada? Too big?

Okay, that's enough out of me. I'll quit bugging you... I just like to help because even though there's a new SUV cropping up every minute, the decision is still tough for finding the right vehicle for your needs and budget, which is what I went through before I got my Jimmy, and am now going through again while debating what my next truck will be. Right now it looks like that will be the '03 4Runner, but who knows...
  • mtnrosemtnrose Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone! I just registered for this list. I have a 1991 S-10 Blazer with 190,000 miles on it. I have only 2 basic complaints about it -the paint was awful and lack of power (have to turn off the AC to pass anyone). It was garage kept for all but the last year. The paint started peeling off in sheets about 3 years ago. Until this year the only thing mechanical I had to replace was the alternator. I have had to have a lot of work done to it this year and so my decision to buy a new vehicle.

The last time it was in the shop I rented a TrailBlazer and it was just too big for me. It was comfy and peppy, etc. but I felt like I was driving a large truck.

I have been glued to my computer in the evenings for the past 4 weeks researching SUVs. I've come to realize just how much I do love my S-10 Blazer.

I live in the mountains and really need 4wheel lo gear. None of the new smaller car-based SUVs have that capability. I hate the idea that the auto companies are now building SUVs at the small size and large. I need a "medium" like my S-10 Blazer.

Tomorrow I am going to test drive a 2002 Blazer and a Ford Explorer Sport. I'll let you know how my test drives go. I have friends on both sides - some love Chevy and some love Ford. My dad was always a Chevy man. The first car that I remember him having was a 56 Blue and White 2-door Chevy. I loved that car.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,025
    Welcome to Town Hall. You've probably already seen this link, but in case you missed it, it's our Comparison Test: 2002 Midsize SUVs.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • gigagiga Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 1996 S10 Blazer and were considering purchase, but after reading the messages posted, I'm very disappointed. This particular vehicle is extremely clean bodied (I can't find a nick on it) and the interior is in almost as good condition but after an extended test drive this morning I decided I better come here for some feedback! It has the rusty dipstick and fill tube down several inches from the top and the SES light was on. Looked like new oil so the dealer took it in to see what the problem was with the light. It also (after being driven 35 miles and warming up good) had the dragging and revving sensation with very slow acceleration only when accelerating from a complete stop. Trans shifted out beautiful with no noise or even being able to feel it except when going from park to reverse and then to drive. Slight jerk to reverse and a little harder to drive only sometimes. Now I know this sounds like a lot but we are only in a position to buy a Cheaper used vehicle as a second but I really need reliability. After several major back surgeries I can't comfortably drive most sedans so that limits us as to what we can purchase. Trucks and SUVs are expensive here! So I'm wondering now if we should consider this vehicle even if the dealer will repair the problems. They want $7000 for it but thought that might not be bad considering condition....now I have to worry! Any ideas or thoughts out there....would sure like to know if these problems are usually gone after repairs or just keep reoccurring. Would appreciate a little feedback
  • tdnelsontdnelson Posts: 2
    Have '97 Blazer with tranny problem. Original tranny was completely rebuilt after failing which included tranny fluid getting hot and spewing out the overflow tube. Put all new parts in including new pump and also had shop add external tranny cooler. Was working great until on short trip this morning when fluid started overflowing again and was hot. Fortunately, took extended maintenance on tranny rebuild but am getting very frusturated at this situation. Thoughts??
  • debmcdebmc Posts: 1
    have a reclining rear seat likethe Honda CR-V?
  • Bought a 99 Blazer LS in Canada & drove home to FL. all seems fine -- have about 35K mi. on it. After reading some of the "Sad tales" on here-am a little concerned. But all well now. I did find the PCV vac. hose plugged when I replaced the valve. Am unable to fig why some nerd would do that.

deadeye4
  • I would never plug the PCV valve hose, because it draws out the vapors from the valvetrain area.

The breather hose from the valve cover to the air intake hose, on the other hand, is a source of oil vapor, which has been known to collect on the throttle body bore, and eventually cause a sticky accelerator pedal, as it causes a ridge to form where the bore and the butterfly meet. If you ever remove the throttle body, the intake manifold walls will be covered with oil vapor residue. I disconnected my hose, plugged the hole in the intake, and stuck a K&N breather on the valve cover. It traps the oil vapor, and only requires periodic cleaning (yearly).