Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'06 330 vs '07 328 or 335

2»

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    My bet is that all 535i and xi models will come with RFTs, that said, the 5er at least has room for a spare tire so GFTs will still be at least an after market option without having to resort to a can of tire goo. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,259
    Shipo,

Do you know anyone in BMW that you could advise a slight change in the trunk of the 3'er design to fit a spare? You steered Merc the right way on the MT in the CL series(?), even though you got no respect!

Regards,
    OW
    The only folks I knew at BMW-NA were the handful of individuals that I knew while I was at MB-USA that left Mercedes and went down the street to BMW, and all of them have since moved on. :-(

I haven't taken a close look at the construction of the E90 trunk, trunk floor and the components mounted beneath said trunk floor, and as such I have no idea of just how large the reengineering task fitting fitting a spare tire well would be. One would think that if it was a trivial task, it would have been done in the first place. Then again...

Personally I hope cooler heads prevail and spare tire storage remains part and parcel of future car designs, regardless of whether RFTs are speced for said designs or not. The fact is that it is just too often that I find myself driving in an area where there is no local availability of replacement RFTs. Said another way, if I cannot find a replacement tire within a matter of a few hours and/or a few dozen miles, I don't want that kind of tire on my car, UNLESS I have a spare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Shipo,

I tend to agree given they've also gone to RFTs on the X5.

If they do switch to RFTs, do you know if there is anything in the 5 series that would make the car less susceptible to the hard hits I occasionally experience in the 3 series?

BMW changed the design of the front suspension of the X5 to compensate for going to RFTs. Is anything analogous to this plausible for the revised 5 series?

Thanks
    Bruce
    "If they do switch to RFTs, do you know if there is anything in the 5 series that would make the car less susceptible to the hard hits I occasionally experience in the 3 series?"

Built into the nature of the 5-Series beast, there is slightly more sidewall in all tire sizes, and that said sidewall differences can absorb road hazard shock better than can the tires on the 3-Series. Will it be enough for your tastes? Unknown. You might have to talk your dealer into letting you take an extended (i.e. over night) test drive.

"BMW changed the design of the front suspension of the X5 to compensate for going to RFTs. Is anything analogous to this plausible for the revised 5 series?"

I've been hearing about these so called RFT tuned suspensions from BMW and other manufacturers, and other than the Odyssey PAX suspension (which has to deal with the massively porky 75 pound PAX wheel and tire assemblies), I've never seen any concrete evidence to suggest that suspensions have been in any altered. This isn't to say they haven't, I've just never been presented with any good evidence to the contrary. Anyway, it's a pretty safe bet that ANY 5-Series, RFT equipped from the factory or not, will handle and ride better with GFTs of the same size.

Hmmm, here again, I'm not at all sure I've been much of a help. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hey, Shipo!!

That 5-series in NJ is now for sale for $17,500.. :blush:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks, I'll take a peek. ;-)
  • Shipo,

Yes, you are very helpful. I had not thought about the 5 using a different sidewall height compared to the 3 for differentiating it's ride quality with RFTs.

I read a road test on the new X5, and it may have been at Edmunds, saying BMW switched from struts to unequal length a-arms(?) specifically due to the RFTs. They said this is the first time BMW has not used struts in many years, and it was successful in providng a smooth ride despite the RFTs.

Anyway, probably now need to sit back and see what is actually on the new 5 series when it comes out.

Thanks
    Bruce
2»
This discussion has been closed.