Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW CPO Warranty and Warranty Extension questions

2»

Comments

• tmchowtmchow Posts: 12
    I have a '04 Z4 3.0i that is CPO. Factory warranty ended this past May but I have CPO until 2010.

There is a leak somewhere in the trunk where water is getting in. I brought it to the dealer last April while it was still in the factory warranty and they replaced a brake light seal claiming it was the reason for the leak. I haven't really parked my car in the rain since then until a few weeks ago.

My trunk is still leaking, so I brought my car back to the dealership in Bellevue, WA (Seattle area) and they had the car for 2 days but couldn't find the problem after spraying the car with a hose and a pressure washer.

They told me they speculate it would be the drain holes under the roof, but they can't be sure until they look at it. It's not covered under warranty, and will cost $755! WTF.

To make matters worse, they said that my service record from April doesn't state why I brought the car in, so it's another reason why the leak won't be covered retroactively.

Can someone tell me some good news here on how I can get this fixed? This whole situation seems BS.
  • valorievalorie Posts: 2
    Hi-
    Hoping I can get some quick help, as just learned about the run flat tire concerns and just found this website early this morning.

Bought a 2007 BMW 328i with 14,5 miles on it. Should I buy the Extended Maint (1895) and/or the Millenium T&W (tire/windshielf door ding) plan (995)? WAs not planning to, but after reading about expensive repairs and need to change tires more frequently than I thought, am now wondering...(I know I should have researched this better before buying, but I do not have much personal car buying experience)

Any quick advice would be much appreciated, as need to go back in just a few hours :confuse: and resign some papers (was there late last nite).

Thanks!
  • dujoxdujox Posts: 10
    Relax. enjoy the car. Get a good Tech. The extended Warranty will ONLY kick in AFTER the Standard Warranty expired. Since you car is a 2007 with 14,5 ?- it's still cover under the Standard [4 years or 50K with-ever comes first.] Depend on your home town law but you should have 30 to 90 days after buying the car to get an Extended Warranty from your dealership.

If I were you i will pick the Extended Warranty after try to lower its price [ You'll be in fact lending the money to the dealer for about 3 years at CERO%!].

I would not buy the Millennium a&W. Instead I will put that money in a bank since most folks will tell you that the parts likely to break apart are the one not cover by the warranty. :)
  • First, thank you very much for your reply... although I need to let you know that I had to make a decision before I got this response, so here's what I did: I declined Lo Jack and Extended Warranty plans but did get the Millennium t&w plan. My reasoning:
    (1) I have 2 new tires on car - the rear ones - and the fronts have about 50% life according to the dealership,
    (2) I was told that the dealership never repairs, and only replaces the tires,
    (3) the high cost of the required tires (224 on one website someone referred me to, and even more if bought at the dealership)
    (4) reading so much online about how the tires often have to be replaced after just 12-15,000 miles, and last
    (5) they re doing lots of road repairs in my commuting/driving areas

I did ask if they could do anything about the price, and at least got it down $100 (better than nothing...although I had no idea that sales tax would be charged on price!)

What is your experience with run flat tires?

And, why do you recommend trying to get the Extended Maint warranty? Becuase BMW labor and parts costs are so high? I was hoping that with an 'almost new' car like this, I wouldn;t have to worry about much in terms of maint or repair costs within the next 5 years...

Interested in hearing more... as I apparently have a lot more to learn (and the dealer did not have an owner's manual to give me yet!)

• The extended maintenance warranty will pay for itself within the first year assuming you drive the car 12-15k miles per year. Brakes cost around $850 per axle, oil changes are about $200, microfilters $250. at 100k spark plugs due $600. note; a maintenance warranty is strictly maintenance, it will not cover mechanical repairs.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Someone needs to change their screen name to "bmwbadadvise."
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    on whether you're buying or selling. Buying extended maintenance is a dumb idea, but selling it makes money. These things aren't a charity.

Are you feeling unlucky? Really, really unlucky? Then buy the thing.
    LOL. Completely agree with you. :)
  • I would suggest that you simply run the report yourself. All you need is the vin.
  • I find that I only want the best deal I can negotiate. I don't care what the dealer pays for anything they sell. Quite frankly, I believe that he/she has a right to make a fair profit. I just don't want to overpay. If I but a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread I do not try to find out what the grocer paid for it first. They have the right to protect their profits!

There are plenty of opportunities online for me to do price comparisons so that I may make a good deal for myself when purchasing a vehicle and all other services to maintain it. That's the value of forums, etc. Don't forget that you get what you pay for in most cases.

That doesn't mean you should not negotiate..it simply means that you will not gain from ticking off sellers.
    I do agree with you that dealers has a right to make profit. But then one again buying a car isn't quite like buying a bread or a gallon of milk. If you got to a supermarket this week and see a gallon of milk for $10.45 would you but it?

There are different strategies. Knowing how much did a dealer pay in fact could help you to know how much could you push to as you say 'negotiate the best deal" :D
  • Hi kyfdx,
    I recently joined this grp. wass pretty impressed by sort of discussions going on around. I also had one query if you guys can help me out. I got CPO 2007 model last year & currently having 46K miles.. So basically i have 6y/100K on top of my 4y/50k. But i'm about to run out of 50k maintenance warranty. also my breakpads front/rear are due in another 10-14k miles..so as per the dealer at that time i would be in my 6k/100k extended plan & that wont cover all that stuff. So what is your opinion.?? should i buy any any other extended warranty that can cover my oil changes,brakes,tire?? becasue as far as i understood dealer offered me all that(except tires) for around $2300..that will cover up to another 50k miles..(just oil changes & brakes pads/rotors)...while that 6y/100k CPO warrantly will run in parallel.

My point is although i have 6k/100k i still need to but that xtra another 50k miles warranty on top of my actual 4k/50k maintanence warrantly to cover just oil & brakes?? makess sense?? or should i just pay out of pocket for brakes/oil change whenever due instead of $2300??

please advice.

Thanks everyone for your time & help

Regards,
    bimmer_2007
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,896
    When does your CPO warranty expire? And, how many miles do you expect to have on the car by then.. That has a lot to do with the value of the extended maintenance.. If the 6yr/100K is up in September, 2012... then, it's worth less than if it's up in July, 2013... If you drive 10K/year, then it's worth less than if you drive 18K/year..

You don't say what model you have... That affects the price of the extended plan... But, for most models the spread between MSRP and dealer cost on the plan is $500... It isn't too hard to find a dealer willing to discount the plan by $200.. or even $300-$350.. And, you can buy the plan from any BMW dealer...

So, before I could give an opinion, need to know the warranty expiration date (or in-service date), and your annual expected mileage.... Also, what model did you buy?

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I have 2007 525i..in service date was Dec 2007..Right now its almost 47K miles..and yearly it would be around 15K going forward as i see.

Thanks
    Bimmer_2007
    Well.. at that rate, you'll get full value for the extended maintenance and warranty (in-service of Dec, 2007, not Dec, 2006?)... so, that tilts things in your favor...

But, I think the cost of the plans might still be prohibitive... I wouldn't want one plan without the other... If you get the extended warranty, it's going to be hard to save money, by servicing your vehicle at an independent... and, then taking it to the dealer only for warranty claims... If you buy just the maintenance plan, you'll have the opposite problem... They come up with a mechanical repair diagnosis while doing your maintenance, and you'll be stuck with dealership rates for that...

It's a dilemma... Hard to part with an extra $5K upfront, even if you can justify it on paper....

• Hey,
    Sorry for the confusion. In-service date was Dec 2006 as you just thought..so my 6y/100k will expire in max dec 2012. So does that mean that no matter my miles are less than 100K I'll be out of all the warranty in 2012??

So should i go for extended maintenance plan of around $2300 that dealer is offering me?? is that worth or overpriced specially for my case??

Thanks
    That's exactly it... You'll be out of warranty and/or maintenance in Dec, 2012, no matter what mileage you have...

So, you'll probably get the 60K mile Inspection II ($800-$1000?), and the 75K oil service ($150-$200?) and that's it, unless you need suspension bushings or brakes, etc... that's from the maintenance plan..

The extended warranty? Same thing... you'll get until DEC, 2012.. which will be approx 80K miles..

If that's as long as you'll keep the car, I'd put that $5K in the bank, and take my chances... You might come out ahead, even, or behind... who knows... but, on average, I'd think you would come out ahead...

• Thanks..
    but my rear brake pads are due in another 8k miles and front in 14k miles.And that wont be covered as i'll be Out of 50k maintenance..
    Well... there you go, then... the maintenance might be worth it, if you are sure you'll need brakes... I'm guessing the front and rears on a new 5-series would be at least $1000 total..

For some people, they are going to the dealer for service, no matter what... In that case, the plan will likely pay off.. If you are the kind of person that will use an independent repair shop, then you can save a lot of money... but, they usually don't offer loaners, etc...

• Yes..actually front/rear would cost me $1500 atleast as per dealer..so better i buy that extended maintenance..will try and negotiate with him as i heard something new... like coverage till 200k..not sure what that was.will update you if i find something interrsting.
    Thanks man.
  • Any recommendations on purchasing an extended service warranty? I purchased a 2004 325xi and the warranty is about to expire.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited October 2010
    The only rational way to cover yourself is to "self insure". Simply take the $2,000 (or whatever you planned on spending on the warranty) and stash it somewhere (bank, CD, IRA, Safety Deposit Box, mattress; it make no matter these days). Then when you need maintenance on your car for a "covered repair" you draw down on your stash. Chances are extremly good that by the time you dispose of the car (or the mileage point where the warranty would have expired), you'll still be ahead of the game.

FWIW, I've opted to not buy a extended policy for any of my cars since 1989, and over that period my math shows that I'm about $11,000 ahead of where I would have been had I bought those policies. Have there been a few losses along the way? Yes. Has any one policy failed to at least break even? No; well, maybe. In one case the cost of the repairs I put into that car exceeded the cost of the extended warranty; that said, $2,600 of the repairs for that car occurred after the warranty expired, and as such, they wouldn't have been covered anyway. Said another way, I got a "free" transmission out of the deal.
  • I've been reserching extended warranties for my BMW, is it wiser to go through the dealer (and are those prices really negotiable) or keep researching elsewhere?
    I followed the advice of no taking the extended warranty and rather "save" the money. This is my first bmw and so far I ma ahead of the game. I have a 325xi /03 with 165k and from my "2,000" budget I had spend about $1680 so far (included insurance).

I do about 5% of the repair myself and My Indy garage charges 75/hour and does not provide a loaner . :D

My advice: Check the car. If you happen to have access to the car's record check for any repair that looks like a partner. Then, plan for the worse case scenario and check to see if you could came out with some basic number. Ah make sure that both Inspection I & II has been done! Enjoy your car as much as you can as the maintenance cost of the ego of the Ultimate Driving Machine. :cry:
2»