Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Starting Problems

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,279
    Sorry for te late reply; the chains in the M30 engines are pretty durable. They will almost always stretch rather than break(though they can still cause damage should they jump a few teeth. You can pull the valve cover and see how far the adjuster piston is extended. I think that you can also buy a new chain with a master link, which makes the job MUCH easier.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• smomsmom Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 328i 134k miles and love the car - last few weeks sometimes when starting it seems like the car is gasping or something it needs to start is just not available. No clicking noise - and no consistency in when it occurs. So far when it happens I have been able to get it started after two or three try's ---

Any thoughts or direction would help - I recognize this is for 5-series Bimmers - but would be thankful for help with my 3-series.
    Any thoughts or direction would help - I recognize this is for 5-series Bimmers - but would be thankful for help with my 3-series.

Have the battery load tested.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fmazavafmazava Posts: 1
    Cold start problem. Engine turns over and its hit and miss if it runs. If it doesnt, the car gets flooded and I have to wait a while to try again. If it gets going, I have to wait again for engine to warm up before It can be driven away otherwise the engine cuts off and steering locks up. After warming up the car drives well indeed for its age. Is it the auto choke? Either way, all helpful suggestions are most welcome....
  • We have a 1988 528E BMW we worked on recently replacing the water pump, hose, alternator belt and fan clutch. It ran fine after we replaced this 2 days ago until yesterday. It won't even start. The battery is charged fully, the alternator is fine according to my husband. The starter may be the problem, but it shows it should work. We don't know if we may have a problem with a sensor. It will light up everything when we go to start it, but it won't even turn over or even click. If you have any suggestions, please give us any advice. My husband is a good mechanic but unfamiliar with foreign cars. Thank you. We are keeping it on this site to view suggestions.

Sierrajadeus :confuse:
    1. Check and clean all battery cables and engine ground straps.
    2. Load test the battery; a simple voltage test often won't reveal a bad battery.
    3. How do you know the alternator is "fine"?

My money is on a bad battery.

• joeyijoeyi Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 525 with 65,000 miles. Last week I noticed that when I would start my car, it was not turning over as soon as it should. I thought maybe it was the battery, so I took the car to a reputable battery shop in town. They tested the battery and I was told I definetly needed a new battery (the gentlemen showed me my current volts and where they should be at). Once the battery was installed, the gentleman asked if I would start my car... I did and there was still that hesitation. We repeated this twice and I still experienced the same hesitation and was told it is probably my starter. Later that day I went to start my car and it would not turn over - however all my lights, paneling, radio, etc... all worked fine. Today I took the car to the bmw dealer.... I received a call that the technicians had my car on the computer for 3 hours and they can not detect what the problem is and the computer is telling them there are no faults. Great..... I was then informed I am responsible for the 3 hours of diagnostic repair to the tune of $285.00!!! Well, now that I am into this for $285 with no solution to the problem, I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this problem or if anyone has any idea what the problem may be??? The dealer told me that the starter appears to be fine!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • 91bmw91bmw Posts: 1
    i had my car parked in the cold for a few weeks. when i tried to start it it started up fine , then as i slipd it into reverse it stalled, and hasnt started since. I have tried boosting it and i know the gas line isnt frozen. The car tries to start but it just wont turn over. Do you thin its a starter??
    It's more likely to be the battery; at any rate, check the easy things first.

• ocean22ocean22 Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same issue with the drain current. I get about 2.4 amps drain current which is draining the battery. For mine problem, i unhooked the harness to the amplifier and the current dropped to 0.6A. Were you able to fix the problem?
  • mrfinaglemrfinagle Posts: 20
    Do you live around NJ? bring it to Bill at bimmerclinic. you'll save a lot of grief and he's reasonable/fair.
  • Hey, my 98' 540i has just started to act up on the start. I attempt to start the car and it frequently hesitates turning over. the engine starts then it dies. i let my buddy borrow my car last weekend and he found a way to bypass it. by turning the key of then on fast. when i do this the car stays on without puttering out. This leads me to believe its electrical. Can anyone help me with this situation?
  • Any suggessions as to why my car wont start? Iknow I have to have my foot on the brake in order for the car to start, it will not start once I do this, any assistance would be appreciated.
  • Joeyi,

I seem to be having the exact same issue with my car. 2005/525i, What was your soulution?....Car first started with a small hesitation then it just won't start, it won't even try....(Like if not pressing the brake pedal). Thanks for yoiur prompt response.
  • A friend of mine has a 1999 Black color BMW 5-series diesel model, which i am interested in purchasing.The car is in very nice condition both from the interior and the exterior, But the engine sounds very rough and in fact pretty loud, the power delivery is smooth, the automatic transmission gears engage very neatly, the only thing that bothers me is the loud and rough sound of the engine, and yes the car starts instantly, in fact there is actually no disturbing noises from any of the moving parts, is there a problem with the engine or is it natural for a diesel engine to be so rough sounding.
  • am just getting on this blog and i feel comfortable that my problem will be solved.
    I have a 5.25i BMW, 1989 model. The car started to give some problems some months ago. The moment the ignition is turned on, the rev will be going up and down and will be dwindling between 200 and 700. after about a minute of doing that, it will switch itself off. Atimes when i'm in motion and i suddenly apply clutch and brake, it will also go off, in the same vein going on very rough raod could be very tough, the car will always go off. My elecrician had checked the Air flow meter, Air valve and could not locate where the problem is. The funny thing is that if the rev is increased to about 800 now, before long it will come back to about 300 or 400 by itself. Pls is there any serious problem that i must deal with here?
  • wow im having the exact problem what was the problem
  • hey whats up i have a 2004 5 series and it doesnt want to start i bought a new battery all the lights come on amd radio but when i turn the key nothing happens did u resolve ur problem
  • Yes, my issue was the starter...had to be replaced. Hope this helps.
  • kanielakaniela Posts: 1
    hey, i now its been a while but i have a 99 528i that i just picked up and the ignition is doing the same thing and yours. In order to ge the car started i must turn the key on half way till the aux lights come on , hold for 10 sec and then turn the key off and then start the car. any clues on to whats wrong with it.... maythe the Key or mabe needs new ignition coil???? please help

kapu808@hotmail.com
    808-306-1997
    danny